What a recruiting season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What a recruiting season

Reaction Score
We do seem to have our fair share of Debbie Doubters and Chicken Littles here in the yard. Many of whom have a death drip belief on the principles of Murphy’s Law. They are however a very small contingent of our BY family.

I think the players that Geno has coming in the next two years will ease their fears and concerns, and will allow them to back away from the ledge. As others have mentioned, if we can get Azzi Fudd to commit, UConn will be poised to begin another extended winning streak. BTW, a 50+ game win streak would include a NC. I’m extremely happy with all of our recent commitments.

A tip ‘o the turban to Geno and his staff for a job well done in landing all of our recent recruits. Keep ‘em coming. :)

Reaction Score
True, we could see the two freshmen get a lot of minutes this year. And a lot fewer minutes next year with the wave of talented players coming in.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
True, we could see the two freshmen get a lot of minutes this year. And a lot fewer minutes next year with the wave of talented players coming in.
I believe if this year's freshmen get a lot of minutes this season, with their level of talent, they may see fewer minutes but not a lot. If the incoming freshmen are as talented as advertised, then some of the other starters will get to rest more. I doubt the loss of minutes will fall only on this season's freshmen, jmo.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno is going to have some tough decisions to make. Assuming Evina is not available this season, he basically has a rotation of 6 with whatever contributions he can get from Adebayo, Camara, Irwin and Bent.

Next year tho... Assume a core 3 of Williams, Walker and ONO. the other starters could realistically come from Westbrook, Makurat, Griffin, Bueckers, Muhl or Edwards. McLean is athletic but a bit raw. Gabriel is really raw. In big games, I could see a core rotation 7-9 depending on how good the newbies are and how fast they pick things up. Realistically, tho, in big games, I suspect it won't be 9. It's a great "problem" to have ("too much" depth).

This year is gonna be tough, no doubt about it. A LOT will need to come from the 2 freshmen. But next year I think they will all appreciate being asked to play less PT in games so the new studs can have a chance to grow and learn without being thrown into the deep end...

And the year after that, holy cow. @MilfordHusky and I were chatting and he shared the story from back in the days when Shea was a senior and they had Hansmeyer, Sveta, Schuey, Big Rig, Cash, Bird, Jones, Williams and Kennitra Johnson. I forget who they were playing but in the 4th quarter, UCONN was continuing to blow out the other team, and a fan yelled out "Geno put in your subs". Another fan turned to him and said "All 5 of those players on the court ARE the subs"!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So what is it? Do we want a bench or not? Should Geno recruit or not? We haven't been happy with the recruiting the last couple years and now we have stellar class coming in and the nervous pendulum swings to the other extreme. You can't have it both ways.

We want a bench!!!

Reaction Score
Geno is going to have some tough decisions to make. Assuming Evina is not available this season, he basically has a rotation of 6 with whatever contributions he can get from Adebayo, Camara, Irwin and Bent.

Next year tho... Assume a core 3 of Williams, Walker and ONO. the other starters could realistically come from Westbrook, Makurat, Griffin, Bueckers, Muhl or Edwards. McLean is athletic but a bit raw. Gabriel is really raw. In big games, I could see a core rotation 7-9 depending on how good the newbies are and how fast they pick things up. Realistically, tho, in big games, I suspect it won't be 9. It's a great "problem" to have ("too much" depth).

This year is gonna be tough, no doubt about it. A LOT will need to come from the 2 freshmen. But next year I think they will all appreciate being asked to play less PT in games so the new studs can have a chance to grow and learn without being thrown into the deep end...

And the year after that, holy cow. @MilfordHusky and I were chatting and he shared the story from back in the days when Shea was a senior and they had Hansmeyer, Sveta, Schuey, Big Rig, Cash, Bird, Jones, Williams and Kennitra Johnson. I forget who they were playing but in the 4th quarter, UCONN was continuing to blow out the other team, and a fan yelled out "Geno put in your subs". Another fan turned to him and said "All 5 of those players on the court ARE the subs"!!!

I'd be beyond shocked if Bueckers wasn't an instant starter...................as far as I'm concerned the minute she laces up her sneakers as a college freshman she'll be the very best point guard in the college game...........

Reaction Score
Eric, Paige Beckers will Start as Point Guard next year replacing Dangerfield! The other starters will be Williams, Walker, ONO, and Westbrook.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd be beyond shocked if Bueckers wasn't an instant starter...................as far as I'm concerned the minute she laces up her sneakers as a college freshman she'll be the very best point guard in the college game...........
Eric, Paige Beckers will Start as Point Guard next year replacing Dangerfield! The other starters will be Williams, Walker, ONO, and Westbrook.
You both are probably right. However remember Geno does not like to start freshmen. Neither Diana nor Maya started until injuries forced them into the starting lineup. But just for kicks...

Starters: Bueckers, Williams, Westbrook, Walker, ONO
Core Bench: Muhl, Makurat, Griffin, Edwards
Reserves: McLean, Gabriel

I need a bigger "wow" emoticon...! :eek:

Reaction Score
You both are probably right. However remember Geno does not like to start freshmen. Neither Diana nor Maya started until injuries forced them into the starting lineup. But just for kicks...

Starters: Bueckers, Williams, Westbrook, Walker, ONO
Core Bench: Muhl, Makurat, Griffin, Edwards
Reserves: McLean, Gabriel

I need a bigger "wow" emoticon...! :eek:

remember Bueckers will also be the best pure shooter on the team other then CW............that will be an area of some weakness if Fudd chooses to go elsewhere...............Griffin, Muhl, Edwards and McLean bring instant energy and athleticism at both ends of the court...............defensively they are going to drive other teams crazy...........

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I agree that Bueckers will probably start the minute she steps foot on campus. It is just hard to imagine that Makurat and/or Griffin, who will undoubtedly make the sophomore leap, aren't in the starting lineup somewhere.

My only other scenario is that if Bueckers struggles initially like most of Geno's freshmen, then maybe Westbrook starts at point and Makurat or Griffin become the fifth.

Reaction Score
I agree that Bueckers will probably start the minute she steps foot on campus. It is just hard to imagine that Makurat and/or Griffin, who will undoubtedly make the sophomore leap, aren't in the starting lineup somewhere.

My only other scenario is that if Bueckers struggles initially like most of Geno's freshmen, then maybe Westbrook starts at point and Makurat or Griffin become the fifth.

a struggling Bueckers would make her the third best point guard in women's college basketball..................... :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

That’s perfect because Geno will just happen to have an opening at pg next season. Great timing.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
No, no, no, no!

Reaction Score
who are the 1st and 2nd best?

that guard from Oregon seems to be pretty good and with the fine guard from Syracuse sadly unable to play this season I'll throw in the 5'5" point from Storrs as second best right now ..............

Reaction Score
Just a reminder that both Walker and Westbrook will be draft eligible next May. The last 2 UConn players to be in that position (Tuck & Stevens) left for the pros.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just a reminder that both Walker and Westbrook will be draft eligible next May. The last 2 UConn players to be in that position (Tuck & Stevens) left for the pros.

Why would either of those players be eligible? Neither will have completed 4 years of college or be 22 at the time of the draft.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Walker and Westbrook are WNBA draft eligible April 2020.
The last UCONN players to be draft eligible prior to exhausting their NCAA eligibility was Napheesa Collier.
who was WNBA draft eligible April 2018 with a DoB of Sept 1996.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It is not 22 at the time of the draft. The rule is turns 22 in the year the draft is conducted.

That's the vast majority of rising seniors in college. Great rule that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom