OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I never lock doors, just so I can dispute everyone's fear of crime.

Growing up, my family's house was never locked, and I haven't locked my car door ever. I've never been robbed.

Reaction Score

Growing up, my family's house was never locked, and I haven't locked my car door ever. I've never been robbed.

I keep my car unlocked and keys under the front seat at home that way I never lose them. Never been robbed. I would do same with house but wifey is manic thinking everyone is breaking into and robbing houses but who in their right mind is coming into a house with 4 dogs one that is 110 lb German shepherd

Reaction Score
And that's an interesting one. If I recall, they did that because gasoline fumes are a known carcinogen. So they assumed a dedicated pump employee could take steps to mitigate exposure. Of course they rarely do, so instead of a minor exposure unlikely to cause cancer, they are killing all those poor attendants. We have a town near me with the same rule.

So, instead of spreading fumes around among all the customers. Just have a concentrated handful suck em down for everyone else.

Reaction Score

Where I grew up, we never locked the door either, and if you took the keys out of the car....you got yelled at.

Reaction Score
Post /handle
So you work so that everyone else gets taxed to pay for those that have no skills. Using your logic, it would be better for taxpayers if you didn’t have a job!
Well it's always better for taxpayers for others to have jobs, assuming it means they will require less public assistance.

To clarify, I am not coming at this from a nanny-state point of view. I am not arguing the rich should pay for the poor out of principle. I am simply wondering what happens if and when there is literally not enough money being made available by employers for human labor. At that point society can either let the lower class fester, or take money from the producers and distribute it. Imagine the limiting case in which there are literally no human jobs available in manufacturing, transportation, and logistics. I'm genuinely interested to hear alternative ideas for dealing with such a situation.

Reaction Score

My daughter moved to Louisville about a year ago for work. Her car had a keyless entry thing, and she left a spare key in the car. Because of that the car wouldn't let her lock it. Within weeks her car was stolen.

Her car was recovered a couple weeks later. Cops pulled it over at 3:00 AM, CT plates in Kentucky, duh. The driver took off and ran. Car was trashed, dented, missing tire riding on a spare, stunk like smoke. Oh yeah, they found a stolen hand gun in the glove compartment. They tracked down the driver because he left some mail in the car. Idiot. Fun times in Louisville!

Guys, lock your car.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score

When I was a kid my brother would leave his car keys on the dashboard hoping someone would steal it and force my parents to buy him another one. No luck.

Reaction Score
Well it's always better for taxpayers for others to have jobs, assuming it means they will require less public assistance.

To clarify, I am not coming at this from a nanny-state point of view. I am not arguing the rich should pay for the poor out of principle. I am simply wondering what happens if and when there is literally not enough money being made available by employers for human labor. At that point society can either let the lower class fester, or take money from the producers and distribute it. Imagine the limiting case in which there are literally no human jobs available in manufacturing, transportation, and logistics. I'm genuinely interested to hear alternative ideas for dealing with such a situation.
Assuming that those folks in manufacturing etc will not be able to adapt and learn other skills is imo a pretty condescending point of view.

Seriously, if the end game of automation is to create an increased state of dependence what is the point? So maybe we should get rid of all farm equipment and do it the Amish way?

Reaction Score
Assuming that those folks in manufacturing etc will not be able to adapt and learn other skills is imo a pretty condescending point of view.

Seriously, if the end game of automation is to create an increased state of dependence what is the point? So maybe we should get rid of all farm equipment and do it the Amish way?
I assume no such thing. I am merely questioning if there will be enough of a market for the skills they learn.

I am not arguing, and have never heard anyone suggest, that the purpose of automation is to increase dependence (although I bet Alex Jones is a proponent). It would just be a side effect.

Reaction Score
I assume no such thing. I am merely questioning if there will be enough of a market for the skills they learn.

I am not arguing, and have never heard anyone suggest, that the purpose of automation is to increase dependence (although I bet Alex Jones is a proponent). It would just be a side effect.
Actually, that is exactly the end game your project.
when there is literally not enough money being made available by employers for human labor. At that point society can either let the lower class fester, or take money from the producers and distribute it.
so by that logic, since reapers took away many farm jobs, John Deere should be paying former farmhands and google should be paying 411 operators and research librarians

Reaction Score
Actually, that is exactly the end game your project.

so by that logic, since reapers took away many farm jobs, John Deere should be paying former farmhands and google should be paying 411 operators and research librarians
I don't have a project. I said that my pea brain can only think of one potential solution, and I'm wondering aloud if there are others I'm missing. I am not advocating for a universal basic income type solution, although I would if the only alternative was every man for himself. Also, just repeating your assertion without additional detail or evidence does nothing to further the conversation.

My logic does not lead to your scenario. When farm equipment and search engines were invented, there were still plenty of jobs available, many of which were made possible by the introduction of the disruptive technologies themselves. I hope that continues to be the case forever. I am simply wondering what happens if it ceases to be the case.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Hardooo!

Reaction Score
The devaluing of human manual labor has been happening and will continue as long as we have a free market. Eventually if its cheaper for a robot to do it, a robot should do it. There is collateral damage to the US and developed countries. Its contributing to the two diverging economies and the rise in disability claims (essentially UBI) and worrisome income inequality. Automation is not just coming for truck drivers and cashiers, but surgeons and lawyers are in the crosshairs too.

So we can 1. continue to do nothing and let it all shake out or 2. address it proactively.

Sure I'd bet truck drivers and cashiers can learn other professions, but where will the demand come from? What do you do when you get laid off on Friday and you have little or no savings. Take out some student loans and get that degree? What happens to your community when a factory closes?

Maybe people will adjust, quickly and seamlessly and it'll all work out. And hey that's their problem, why should I suffer someone who didn't go to college, or chose the wrong profession, or is just unlucky?

I think we need to adjust the path so that people can have or get to a meaningful existence. UBI is a start, not perfect, but it addresses the income inequality and automation. I doubt it will get implemented before its too late, but one can hope.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
When there's only one left of something to eat in a group of people I take it everytime, no hesitation. No one likes the virtue dance of leaving it for someone else so I stop it before we go endless laps of politeness.

Reaction Score
At parties with friends and families if I'm sitting down I won't get up to go to the door and say hi I let them come to me especially if I'm watching a game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When there's only one left of something to eat in a group of people I take it everytime, no hesitation. No one likes the virtue dance of leaving it for someone else so I stop it before we go endless laps of politeness.
So you take the last appetizer as a favor to the rest of us? How noble of you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At parties with friends and families if I'm sitting down I won't get up to go to the door and say hi I let them come to me especially if I'm watching a game.
This reminds me of another one of mine. If I am seated at a restaurant with a group and a lady gets up to use the restroom, I stand. When she comes back to the table I stand. Part of it is the way I was raised, and part of it is it’s entertaining to see the wife throw dagger glances at the husband who doesn’t stand when she comes back.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This reminds me of another one of mine. If I am seated at a restaurant with a group and a lady gets up to use the restroom, I stand. When she comes back to the table I stand. Part of it is the way I was raised, and part of it is it’s entertaining to see the wife throw dagger glances at the husband who doesn’t stand when she comes back.
Approaching hardo.

Now If you stood and had a hardo the dagger glances would be coming from your wife and the husband. 2>1

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

We always hitched our horses to the street posts. Never concerned ourselves about theft. One time a neighbor’s horse was stolen. The neighbors organized a search party, found the thief, hitched the horse back to his post and the thief to a tree.

This country went downhill once lawyers were invented.

We need a dictatorship to get rid of them. Downside is they’ll have more time to post on the Boneyard. :cool:

Reaction Score
1576889089991.png

Reaction Score
Solid

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score

Honest question- what is the reason for standing?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom