OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The telemarketers for saving me money on insurance. I usually will go along with it until I get fed up and ask them if they think I’m stupid.
One time my daughters friend was over the house and the phone rang. I glanced at it saw it was a telemarketer and ignored it. My daughter's friend asked me if was going to get it and I said no, it just a sales call, unless you want me to answer it and pretend to be speaking a random foreign language. She was pretty enthusiastic about that idea so I did. It went something like this:

TM: Hello may I speak to the homeowner?
CL82: Gripshki.
TM: Uh, ..may... I.. speak.. to.. the.. homeowner?
CL82: Grapsna gripshki.
TM: Are... you... the.. . home...owner?
CL82: Vladnishka...grip...shki
TM: DOES... ANYONE... THERE... SPEAK... ENNNNG...LIIIISHHH??
CL82: V..LAAAD...NISSHHH...KAAA.... ENNNNG ...AAA... LIIISHHHH!
TM: [hangs up]

The girls were young at the time so they thought it was pretty funny.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One time my daughters friend was over the house and the phone rang. I glanced at it saw it was a telemarketer and ignored it. My daughter's friend asked me if was going to get it and I said no, it just a sales call, unless you want me to answer it and pretend to speaking a random foreign language. She was pretty enthusiastic about that idea so I did. It went something like this:

TM: Hello may I speak to the homeowner.
CL82: Gripshki.
TM: Uh, ..may... I.. speak.. to.. the.. homeowner?
CL82: Grapsna gripshki.
TM: Are... you... the.. . home...owner?
CL82: Vladnishka...grip...shki
TM: DOES... ANYONE... THERE... SPEAK... ENNNNG...LIIIISHHH??
CL82: V..LAAAD...NISSHHH...KAAA.... ENNNNG ...AAA. LIIISHHHH!
TM: [hangs up]

The girls were young at the time so they thought it was pretty funny.
Being half-Gripshki I find this deeply offensive.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not to get overly political but if we weren't headed for a dystopian corporatocratic future, automation would be the end goal for society. Think of all the art, science and entertainment that would be produced if everyone's basics needs were met through automation.

Right. Automation should mean working less in theory, but in practice people are working more

Reaction Score
Mmm automated air does not sound attractive to me.
you are taking it a bit too literal. the idea is that automation becomes so efficient that we don't have to work. robots and AI take care of everything and we just get to do as we please.

Reaction Score
you are taking it a bit too literal. the idea is that automation becomes so efficient that we don't have to work. robots and AI take care of everything and we just get to do as we please.

That's not how it will ever work in a capitalist system. The rich need the working class to be overworked. It keeps the average person from being critical and politically active enough to make change.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The goal of automation is not to create an equal number of jobs, though. Its entire purpose is to cut costs, with costs being employed humans.

Nonsense. It’s about human progress. Moving people into jobs that require people. Lighting the gas lamps of London isn’t something we do anymore. The jobs replaced are not good jobs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not to get overly political but if we weren't headed for a dystopian corporatocratic future, automation would be the end goal for society. Think of all the art, science and entertainment that would be produced if everyone's basics needs were met through automation.

That’s Gene Roddenberry’s view. For anyone who is a Star Trek fan.

Reaction Score
It sounds great until it starts to replace higher level professions. There are hardly any jobs that are automation proof . . .
There are NO jobs that are automation proof. As an attorney, I often wonder how long it will be before we see the first automated Public Defender. Many are good, and many are trash, but they are all overworked and underpaid. How long until an AI bot can get a better result because it can evaluate a thousand prior cases with similar facts, and also factor in the particular DA, the judge, and so on?
It sounds far fetched, but the fact is, it's only a matter of time.
Computers have been "smarter" than humans in the sense of number crunching for about half of a century.
Big Blue beat Kasparov in 1997.
Now, the supercomputer in your hand, which we call a phone, can beat any human at any game, any time, with few exceptions.
What has happened - virtually unnoticed - in the last decade or so is a tremendous advancement in AI. Most people think AI and they think Schwartzanegger Terminator, or C3PO, or something like that.
AI is really about teaching computers how to learn for themselves.

The most critical thing to always remember about AI is that it MUST get better, every single hour, every single day FOREVER. I mean, unless we revolt and stop it, which we won't.
AI is exploding, and the pace of improvement may well be geometric. What that means is that the AI bots in 10 years are going to be orders more intelligent and intuitive than the ones today?

In 50 years? It's hard to see any result other than AI bots running everything.

In terms of what jobs are safe? None.

Computers continue to get faster and smaller.
Robotics has come of age and BR now has bots that can run you down over an open field.
Miniaturization and nanotechnology has come of age.
The final, required component - if the goal is super machines - is AI, which has now come of age.

Google had a stick figure running down a corridor a year or so ago. Seemed simple. Maybe not worth noticing. But it was huge. It was, literally, the final advancement of AI taking its first steps.

We are not far from the day when an AI bot will walk up to you, tell you to stand still, scan your face, check you for violations, and then either choose to let you go or choose to detain you.

What's terrifying is that the human condition is stagnant, and changes over millennia. The AI Bot condition? It improves every day, forever.

Humans must be surpassed. In everything. It's not if, it's when.

The final wars will be fought with technology, not flesh. You'll be vanquised when their technology beats yours. There won't be any hiding under the ground, fighting it out. Dominant tech will just keep getting more dominant.

The only wild card I see is energy - without cheap energy, AI becomes less advantageous. Perhaps that's our only way of remaining dominant - go primative.

The future is absolutely terrifying.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
There are NO jobs that are automation proof. As an attorney, I often wonder how long it will be before we see the first automated Public Defender. Many are good, and many are trash, but they are all overworked and underpaid. How long until an AI bot can get a better result because it can evaluate a thousand prior cases with similar facts, and also factor in the particular DA, the judge, and so on?
Computers have been "smarter" than humans in the sense of number crunching for about half of a century.
Now, the supercomputer in your hand, which we call a phone, can beat any human at any game, any time, with few exceptions.
What has happened - virtually unnoticed - in the last decade or so is a tremendous advancement in AI. Most people think AI and they think Schwartzanegger Terminator, or C3PO, or something like that.

The most critical thing to always remember about AI is that it MUST get better, every single hour, every single day FOREVER. I mean, unless we revolt and stop it, which we won't.
AI is exploding, and the pace of improvement may well be geometric. What that means is that the AI bots in 10 years are going to be orders more intelligent and intuitive than the ones today?

Robotics has come of age and BR now has bots that can run you down over an open field.
The final, required component - if the goal is super machines - is AI, which has now come of age.

Google had a stick figure running down a corridor a year or so ago. Seemed simple. Maybe not worth noticing. But it was huge. It was, literally, the final advancement of AI taking its first steps.

We are not far from the day when an AI bot will walk up to you, tell you to stand still, scan your face, check you for violations, and then either choose to let you go or choose to detain you.

What's terrifying is that the human condition is stagnant, and changes over millennia. The AI Bot condition? It improves every day, forever.

The final wars will be fought with technology, not flesh. You'll be vanquised when their technology beats yours. There won't be any hiding under the ground, fighting it out. Dominant tech will just keep getting more dominant.

The only wild card I see is energy - without cheap energy, AI becomes less advantageous. Perhaps that's our only way of remaining dominant - go primative.

Pretty sure they’re already toying with AI in contract law

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

TL:DR

Is that what the kids say today?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can’t stand when stores like Best Buy, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and Walmart have “Security” checking everyone’s receipt on the way out of the store. Unless specifically suspected of shoplifting, they have absolutely no authority to stop me, or recourse when, with my head held high, I give them a “No thanks” and keep walking when they ask to see my receipt.

Also: post/avatar

Also: Principle*

What the hell is a hardo? I think I'm supposed to delete this, but I'm not sure.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I eat apples without rinsing them

Hard core in today's day and age.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What the hell is a hardo? I think I'm supposed to delete this, but I'm not sure.

Don't worry about deleting. If he added an extra 'n' onto the word, then you might be in trouble.

Reaction Score
Right. Automation should mean working less in theory, but in practice people are working more
Perhaps, yet can a strong or absolute causual relationship be drawn between the latter and the former?

And, working more in many instances does not equate to working harder nor individually more efficiently, e.g., in the extreme, the putz arriving at 630 am, working until 8 pm and accomplishing jack Shiite much of the day.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I refuse to use drive through lanes. It usually works to my advantage. There could be 7 cars waiting at the drive through and I walk inside and get served with no line. People are getting lazier. Take the free exercise and walk in. I always thought the drive through should be restricted to people with handicap placards. But, like the handicap parking spots, I'm sure that would get abused.
Half credit.
People have unruly kids in the car or might not be wearing pants, but it can indeed be faster to go inside sometimes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom