Whaley- 0 pts, 0 reb, 0 ast | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whaley- 0 pts, 0 reb, 0 ast

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I didn't really like him being put back in with 2 fouls in the first half. I think we'd have seen a better 2nd half from Whaley had he not picked up #3.
I noticed that as well. That is the first time I can remember any Uconn coach putting any player with two fouls back in to the first half of a game. I wonder what DH was thinking.

Reaction Score
I noticed that as well. That is the first time I can remember any Uconn coach putting any player with two fouls back in to the first half of a game. I wonder what DH was thinking.
Do you mean any UConn coach ever going all the way back to Calhoun? Because that's definitely not true.

We're well below average in the category this year, and I think with the depth we have it shouldn't hurt too much. But it's one of the biggest issues I have with coaches is the automatic benching of a guy with 2 fouls

Reaction Score
There's a lot in this article about trying to get Whaley going.

It’s been a tougher stretch lately for Whaley, culminating in one of his emptiest stat lines in the past three years on Tuesday, when he picked up three first-half fouls and finished without a single point or rebound in 10 minutes of action.

“Isaiah’s going through a tough stretch of games here,” Hurley said. “We didn’t start winning here until that guy got on the court. We need him to be his old ‘Wrench’ self here. (Thursday) is the perfect time.”

Whaley has had some health issues. He had a scary fainting spell after a game in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament and got hit hard by COVID-19 a couple of weeks ago. He felt sick in UConn’s Dec. 21 win a Marquette (four points, six boards in 31 minutes) and was one of UConn’s final players to get out of COVID isolation prior to the Huskies’ return to action in a Jan. 8, overtime loss at Seton Hall.

“I didn’t have as much time to get back in shape,” Whaley said. “I was really winded that whole game.”

Whaley finished with five points and three boards in 23 minutes.

“He had a tough Christmas break, he’s been trying to get his legs under him,” Hurley said. “One of our top priorities right now is getting that guy back to who he was. Getting him back to his identity, getting that intensity level raised. It’s never gonna be a huge statistical thing for him. He’s a guy whose defensive intensity, just the way he plays, kind of in a ‘glue guy’ way, is what makes him so great that can’t really be measured by numbers. But one of my top priorities is to get him going.”

Free access link:
UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley: ‘One of my top priorities is to get Isaiah Whaley going’

Reaction Score
Whaley looked like himself today. Bouncier. He is always heady, but it seemed his spring was missing. If he returns to form and plays like he did late last season that changes the whole complexion of our team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom