WFAN Monologue on UConn | The Boneyard

WFAN Monologue on UConn

Reaction Score
Just listening to WFAN and the afternoon host randomly - not prompted by a caller - went on a 5 minute monologue about the state of the Uconn basketball program.

Some quotes below. Nothing earth-shattering but more evidence that we’ve reached a tipping point in national perception - the casual cbb fan is no longer going to assume that we’ll be back and that the last few years are just an injury fueled anomaly. Amazing that brand equity built up over 25 years can be depleted so quickly.

“Abyss”...”forgotten program”...”doesn’t offer anything special”...”no light at the end of the tunnel”...”near obscurity”...”anonymous”

Reaction Score
The injury fueled anamoly thing is wishful thinking though. This is what happens when you make a bad hire. It can happen to Indiana, UNC it will happen to Duke if they blow the K replacement. The difference is that they will fix it quickly like Carolina did. Not let it fester like Indiana and UConn.

Reaction Score
And he ended his rant with "Just like St. John's and New York City hoops." [But with more championships].

Reaction Score
Not let it fester like Indiana and UConn.

I don't think UConn could have fired him any sooner than end of year this season (if in fact they do). They made the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament in 2015-16 then the injuries last year gave him cover, which then snowballed into the offseason defections.

It really has only been since November/December 2017 that Ollie became fully exposed without cover. I say this as someone that thinks his firing is warranted, but also don't think the AD could have acted sooner given the Natty and being an alum of the program.

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
A lot of those terms describe WFAN post-Francesa. That’s a bleak lineup they are sitting on.

When Evan Roberts is your best host - yikes.

FAN is a joke. Boston radio is much better IMO

Reaction Score
WFAN is unlistenable now. It’s a hot mess. Boomer can’t carry by himself...afternoon francesa replacements are uninteresting and over their head. Took it off the presets in the car as there is absolutely no reason to return.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Is anyone willing to go on record and state why they think this isn’t indicative of a perception gap between us and the rest of the CBB community?

I’m sure the Dan Hurleys of the world are jumping to take over programs described in that light by the national media.

Reaction Score
What host was it
Chris Moore, who is a Connecticut resident.....don't know what school he went to but I've heard him talk UConn before....positive & negative.....mostly negative now like all of us.

I think everyone that follows UConn closely & those that don't all realize the program is in the tank & needs a re-set badly. We may never be the UConn of the Big East again but Cincy & WSU have both proven that the AAC can produce top 10 teams since they both were ranked there at one point this season and Cincy could end up being a 1 or 2 seed in the Tourney.....time for a new leader.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is anyone willing to go on record and state why they think this isn’t indicative of a perception gap between us and the rest of the CBB community?

I’m sure the Dan Hurleys of the world are jumping to take over programs described in that light by the national media.

The question is whether this is thought of as a temporary or permanent state.

We can find one young up-and-coming coach willing to bet that with some success the program and its perception will come roaring back.

Reaction Score
Chris Moore, who is a Connecticut resident.....don't know what school he went to but I've heard him talk UConn before....positive & negative.....mostly negative now like all of us.

I think everyone that follows UConn closely & those that don't all realize the program is in the tank & needs a re-set badly. We may never be the UConn of the Big East again but Cincy & WSU have both proven that the AAC can produce top 10 teams since they both were ranked there at one point this season and Cincy could end up being a 1 or 2 seed in the Tourney.....time for a new leader.
I'm like 99% sure Moore is a UConn fan. I have heard him talk UConn hoops before.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn could have fired him any sooner than end of year this season (if in fact they do). They made the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament in 2015-16 then the injuries last year gave him cover, which then snowballed into the offseason defections.

That is absolute fact. You can say you saw his deficiencies ahead of time or what have you, but cannot make a reasonable case to realistically fire him after last season, even with the defections.

No reasonable coach would have wanted to sign up for expectations like that. UCONN would have appeared to be a dumpster fire job on that alone.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
One thing UConn doesn’t produce is friendly alums in sports media. WFAN I assume is thick with Cuse grads.
Cuse alum are all over the airwaves
But who cares what the heck do they have to brag about - lacrosse?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The injury fueled anamoly thing is wishful thinking though. This is what happens when you make a bad hire. It can happen to Indiana, UNC it will happen to Duke if they blow the K replacement. The difference is that they will fix it quickly like Carolina did. Not let it fester like Indiana and UConn.

Neither program won a title two years after hire, one year after post season ban. Whether you like it or not, that buys a coach significant leeway.

For contrast at a similar program, Tubby Smith's title at UK bought him 10 years.

Reaction Score

Yeah because URI has an incredible upside as the distant #2 in the state. Did you know that not once but twice the Rhode Island legislature passed a resolution commending Providence for earning an NCAA spot and wishing them success in the tourney when URI, the State university, also qualified. No such resolution was passed for the Rams until it was pointed out by the media a few days later. That is the pecking order in the Ocean State for college basketball.

Reaction Score
Neither program won a title two years after hire, one year after post season ban. Whether you like it or not, that buys a coach significant leeway.

For contrast at a similar program, Tubby Smith's title at UK bought him 10 years.
Agreed. But that leeway has run out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah because URI has an incredible upside as the distant #2 in the state. Did you know that not once but twice the Rhode Island legislature passed a resolution commending Providence for earning an NCAA spot and wishing them success in the tourney when URI, the State university, also qualified. No such resolution was passed for the Rams until it was pointed out by the media a few days later. That is the pecking order in the Ocean State for college basketball.
I don't think anyone is arguing that Hurley is staying at URI. He will have options.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom