WFAN Monologue on UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WFAN Monologue on UConn

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is anyone willing to go on record and state why they think this isn’t indicative of a perception gap between us and the rest of the CBB community?

I’m sure the Dan Hurleys of the world are jumping to take over programs described in that light by the national media.
Actually it gives you a bit of cover when you take over a program. Facilities, recruiting area, tradition... UConn is a sleeping giant. We just need the next hire to be good one.

Reaction Score
Wrong week to say that after they beat Duke and Villanova.

Can you be 0-9 in the BE and relevant though? And remember, this isn't the first time SJ beat a top ranked Duke team.

Reaction Score
Can you be 0-9 in the BE and relevant though? And remember, this isn't the first time SJ beat a top ranked Duke team.
What I'll say is this, either there is talent there or Mullin coached his tail off in those games. Us on the other hand have gotten curb stomped so many times and haven't come close to winning our similar type games this year. Both the talent and the coaching seem lacking at the moment.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Is anyone willing to go on record and state why they think this isn’t indicative of a perception gap between us and the rest of the CBB community?

I’m sure the Dan Hurleys of the world are jumping to take over programs described in that light by the national media.
On balance, I think it is more than less indicative of the dispassionate view, and that this board represents the emotionally invested view, which necessarily includes self-centered fears of losing what we've had in the past or not getting what we deeply want or demand in the future. The present in increasingly self-evident.

Your second paragraph employs sarcasm toward no possible positive effect, possibly providing an interesting hit to flavor sensors but ultimately without nutritional value and compounded by dangerous addictive qualities.

It's a word salad, but I can live with this on my record.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
By the way, the Tubby Smith example ain’t even close. Yes both won championships in their first years with other guys’ player. But in the other 9 years Tubby went to the NCAA tourney 9 times with a six sweet 16s and 4 Elite 8s. Ollie 1 time with an 2nd round exit. That is what earned him 10 years at Kentucky. Ollie should never be mentioned in the same sentence with Tubby.

You had an interesting post going until that last sentence, which simultaneously proves and negates itself.

Reaction Score
So St. John's beats Duke at home, Nova and then Marquette, and they had many other games they were competitive in so as much as it pains me to say this they are significantly better than us. Who would have believed it? Not only that but their coach has them thinking that if the quality wins continue there is a way to the tourney unlikely as it is. Posed differently, what team has more relevance now, them or us?

Reaction Score
So St. John's beats Duke at home, Nova and then Marquette, and they had many other games they were competitive in so as much as it pains me to say this they are significantly better than us. Who would have believed it? Not only that but their coach has them thinking that if the quality wins continue there is a way to the tourney unlikely as it is. Posed differently, what team has more relevance now, them or us?
St. John's would crush us.

Reaction Score

Neither has any relevance.

St. John's is irrelevant in college basketball, as it has been since the 1980s.

Reaction Score
Neither has any relevance.

St. John's is irrelevant in college basketball, as it has been since the 1980s.

That may be so, but they are being discussed, albeit it very recently, for good things, UCONN is being discussed across the board for it's incompetence and how quickly the program is fading into irrelevance.

Reaction Score
So is this attack on WFAN a response to them being wrong or just some's desire to be in denial or...

Chris Moore is a UConn fan. He's far from my fave talking head on WFAN, but is he a UConn guy. Every single thing he apparently said (did not hear it) is 100% right on and I think most here finally know it. I do think we can be something again but we need to tear the whole thing down to build it back up. It goes without saying that our next hire is beyond crucial.

As far as WFAN, I actually like Gio more than Carton. He's still finding his way, but I got tired of the Carton schtick and feel like he rarely had anything meaningful to say. Gio at least can provide a comedic element while also bringing some knowledge to the table. Joe and Evan are the best show they have and I have no idea why they did not get the prime slot in the afternoon. The new afternoon show is pretty awful. They are always stepping on each other, each has a different type of grating voice, and there seems to be a lack of "complete" knowledge on tap. Bart Scott knows football, but he's clueless on everything else. He also takes every opportunity to remind you that he was a pro and that he rose through the ranks and is now loaded. Carlin has always been vapid and we get it, you're overweight. That joke stopped by funny 15 years ago when you were the producer. Maggie is the best of the three, but she is just the smallest turd in the s^&t field.

Reaction Score
That may be so, but they are being discussed, albeit it very recently, for good things, UCONN is being discussed across the board for it's incompetence and how quickly the program is fading into irrelevance.

Am I the only one that remembers that St John's has done this before?

2011 beat #3 Duke 93-78
2003 beat #6 Duke
2001 beat #2 Duke

Where has that gotten them? Nowhere. I'd argue they are equally irrelevant.

There are only articles out there about UConn because UConn has had a big downfall. But you have to be high to fall.

Both programs are in nowheresville.

Reaction Score
If you are talking as a pure coach, sure, but you're leaving out the relative expectations for each program. UK is a Final Four or bust program. Finishing in the Sweet 16 for them is like missing the tournament. Elite 8 for them is UCONN's first round exit. The natives are getting restless with Calipari right now for gods sake. And they are number 2 to Duke's number 1 in MCBB destinations. That's absurd.

UCONN, post realignment, is not anywhere close to that.

This is not an argument to give Ollie a longer leash. Just that it's a different place expectation-wise.
Still the comment that Tubby’s experience is comparable to Ollie’s is simply silly.

As far as Hurley, who knows. My point was that if it is UConn or URI he isn’t staying in Kingston. Of course Ollie b&@h boi Stairmaster knows we won’t land anyone better than Kevin. Even if it were true, though it isn’t, it is still no reason to keep Ollie.

Reaction Score
You had an interesting post going until that last sentence, which simultaneously proves and negates itself.

It amazes me that free still posts about Ollie on this board. He ripped him for 2 years when he did an amazing job, and then disappeared and didn't give him any credit after the championship. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
In Tubby's 9 years post-championship, he won 22 games and made it to the 2nd round of the NCAAT every year, including 5 Sweet 16's and 3 Elite 8's, and won their conference regular season 4 times.

In KO's 4 years post-championship, he won 22 games and made the 2nd round once, and hasn't finished better than 6th in the AAC.
Precisely. That is why he stayed 10 years. Ollie milked his title for 4.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Still the comment that Tubby’s experience is comparable to Ollie’s is simply silly.

As far as Hurley, who knows. My point was that if it is UConn or URI he isn’t staying in Kingston. Of course Ollie b&@h boi Stairmaster knows we won’t land anyone better than Kevin. Even if it were true, though it isn’t, it is still no reason to keep Ollie.

Wow. You're really stupid.

I've been arguing for months that a change either should happen or is inevitable. Are you even literate? Do you know how to lace up your shoes without assistance?

Every single east coast P5/BE school with an opening will be pushing hard for Hurley. Some have already been hitting his agent up. UConn doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom