Westworld | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Westworld

Reaction Score
This the best season by far. I thought in episode five they might revert to the timeline nonsense that almost ruined season one. But they were much more refrained.

They still engage in a little of "star wars" type battles where no one hits anything even when there are 50 guys three feet away from each other. But again. It was a little more refrained and tolerable.

So far very imaginative. I would not be surprised if Delores is he one who brings back Maeve. Dolores loneliness is her only real redeeming quality.

Reaction Score
It is really good - but you literally can't do anything else while you are watching this. It is super complicated.

Also - I don't like that much of the show is really loud - while the dialogue is soft - so if anything else is going on in the house I have to have the volume on 70. Seems to me they could have done a better job mixing it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I binged all 4 episodes over the last two days. Very good season. Agree with @J187Money that I need to be careful. Usually I can multitask but with this I have to pause. Means these episodes take forever.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Definitely enjoying the third season - it's been well done so far. I'm not sure I'm excited about a showdown between robots taking over the world vs someone that wants to control the world. Somehow, I think if it ends this season where the 'people' rise up against both and take back the world in a happy story book ending. I hope they don't go there. But the other two scenarios would also be weird. Or maybe they will be creative enough (like they have been the last couple of seasons) to generate a scenario for a reasonable 4th season. I'd be all in on that.

Reaction Score
Definitely enjoying the third season - it's been well done so far. I'm not sure I'm excited about a showdown between robots taking over the world vs someone that wants to control the world. Somehow, I think if it ends this season where the 'people' rise up against both and take back the world in a happy story book ending. I hope they don't go there. But the other two scenarios would also be weird. Or maybe they will be creative enough (like they have been the last couple of seasons) to generate a scenario for a reasonable 4th season. I'd be all in on that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I'm only 4 episodes in. My hope is that Dolores sees that human allies are useful and that she and her kind can work together with them. Jointly, they rise up to liberate both people and androids.

That said I don't expect that result.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I binged all 4 episodes over the last two days. Very good season. Agree with @J187Money that I need to be careful. Usually I can multitask but with this I have to pause. Means these episodes take forever.

I am the same way. I like having a show on in the background while I catch up on emails at night, but that is impossible with this show. You have to watch every second of it or you are lost.

Reaction Score
The show is imaginative and has had some interesting plot twists.

But geez Louise can we stop with the gun battles where 20 bad bad guys can't hit the side of a barn and every shot from a good guy kills 2 or three bad guys.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it, but I am not sure I am coming back for Season 4. There are too many plot holes, like Maeve's weird set of powers, that feel like magic to me. I do not like magic in plots because it makes everything that happened before the spell irrelevant. I feel that magic=hacking=sci fi time travel when it comes to plot devices that substitute for story-telling.

I was also surprised at how cheap some of the riot scenes looked in Season 3. Westworld is a flagship show for HBO, so they shouldn't be cutting corners on scenes that just require a bunch of extras in LA. Extras are pretty easy to find in LA. Watch an episode like Watchers on the Wall in Game of Thrones, where the manic energy of the battle is palpable in every second, and then look at the riot, where the set looks empty and the extras are going through the motions.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it, but I am not sure I am coming back for Season 4. There are too many plot holes, like Maeve's weird set of powers, that feel like magic to me. I do not like magic in plots because it makes everything that happened before the spell irrelevant. I feel that magic=hacking=sci fi time travel
Which is why GoT was not a gave of mine.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Maybe I will have to give season 3 a chance. I really enjoyed season 1, then season 2 lost me. It just felt overly complicated and confusing, but for no good reason. I get the show premise requires attention throughout, but season 2 was brutal.

Reaction Score
So Season 4 won't come out until 2022. I logged off somewhere in season 2 so I am considering starting over and following it more closely. I was curious if people are looking forward to season 4 or is that too long a break to try to get back into it. Evan Rachel Wood was mentioned in the Recently Watched Movies 2021 thread - Kajillionaire which brought me back to Westworld, or did it.

Reaction Score
I was strong through nearly the end of season 2. Just watched episode 5 of season 3. I can't help it, I multitask, and I am lost. The music in this episode is great. And Dolores is simply spectacular.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was strong through nearly the end of season 2. Just watched episode 5 of season 3. I can't help it, I multitask, and I am lost. The music in this episode is great. And Dolores is simply spectacular.

You cannot multitask with this show. You just can't. Even paying attention you may need to rewatch it, or read a post show analysis to catch everything. The third season is easier to follow. Dolores remains spectacular.

Reaction Score
You cannot multitask with this show. You just can't. Even paying attention you may need to rewatch it, or read a post show analysis to catch everything. The third season is easier to follow. Dolores remains spectacular.
I may have to restart season 3. Or 2. Next thing you know Francois Toulour, Jesse Pinkman, and some guy who looks like Booger from Revenge of the Nerds are in on the action while ADHD is creeping in.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Also - I don't like that much of the show is really loud - while the dialogue is soft - so if anything else is going on in the house I have to have the volume on 70. Seems to me they could have done a better job mixing it.
Not even watching the series (I checked out about halfway thru Season 1), but that is an epidemic these days. I notice that in so many movies. Why is it so hard to get the sound mixing right? Didn't used to be a problem.

Reaction Score
Not even watching the series (I checked out about halfway thru Season 1), but that is an epidemic these days. I notice that in so many movies. Why is it so hard to get the sound mixing right? Didn't used to be a problem.
I notice that The Avengers movies take a different tack. They'll put the loud explosions and stuff in the distance or background which adds a unique experience. At least that is what I noticed a few times, not sure if it's always the case. It also really bothers me when they mumble through important dialogue. Wahlberg is very hard to understand sometimes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I notice that The Avengers movies take a different tack. They'll put the loud explosions and stuff in the distance or background which adds a unique experience. At least that is what I noticed a few times, not sure if it's always the case. It also really bothers me when they mumble through important dialogue. Wahlberg is very hard to understand sometimes.
Held off on watching the Pitch Meeting for Tenet until I finally saw it recently. Does a clever job of spoofing/pointing out how frustrating it is when the background music swells to a crescendo and totally drowns out the dialogue as we are getting what seems like critical exposition, that you can't even hear. That movie may have had the worst sound mixing I've experienced yet.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What’s your home theater setup? I don’t mean that as an insult. It’s to illustrate a point , they are mixing stuff now for 7.1 surround , without 5.1 minimum yeah the mixes sound like crap and unbalanced. Especially if you own a sound bar which is the greatest rip off in the 2-800 dollar range tgat exists in the retail space . I say this as someone with 7.1 in one room and a sound bar + sub in other . The tv with the sound bar is almost unwatchable for exactly what you and who you replied to describe. In my 7.1 I can still hear low volume when I do t want crash bang boom and it’s even.

Reaction Score
What’s your home theater setup? I don’t mean that as an insult. It’s to illustrate a point , they are mixing stuff now for 7.1 surround , without 5.1 minimum yeah the mixes sound like crap and unbalanced. Especially if you own a sound bar which is the greatest rip off in the 2-800 dollar range tgat exists in the retail space . I say this as someone with 7.1 in one room and a sound bar + sub in other . The tv with the sound bar is almost unwatchable for exactly what you and who you replied to describe. In my 7.1 I can still hear low volume when I do t want crash bang boom and it’s even.
7.1, 7.2, whatever it takes.

I fail on all home theater setup angles, although I have recently mounted a couple large screen tv's on adjustable wall mounting brackets. Drilled right into the studs. We use the tv speakers but I am thinking about getting some type of headphone setup because I tend to watch late night when everyone else is sleeping so if you have any recommendations. . .

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I looked up several discussions about this online. I don't have a sound setup, just the TV. So I guess that's my problem. It is, as I noted in some of these discussions, not usually a problem when I'm just watching something that is being broadcast on television vs. watching a DVD/Blu-ray. Also I haven't been to a theater in forever, but seems like even there where you'd think they'd have the sound system all set up correctly, there can be deafeningly loud sounds effects or music, and dialogue that is hard to hear.

Reaction Score
I looked up several discussions about this online. I don't have a sound setup, just the TV. So I guess that's my problem. It is, as I noted in some of these discussions, not usually a problem when I'm just watching something that is being broadcast on television vs. watching a DVD/Blu-ray. Also I haven't been to a theater in forever, but seems like even there where you'd think they'd have the sound system all set up correctly, there can be deafeningly loud sounds effects or music, and dialogue that is hard to hear.
interested in this - so what type of setup do you recommend August? We just have the TV's audio right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom