Westbrook Waiver Appeal Denied | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Westbrook Waiver Appeal Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And Evina wasn't denied because Tennessee didn't support her transfer. They approved it. Didn't block it. Didn't stand in her way of leaving, and they could have because of the two upcoming games. Your own AD confirmed that Tennessee was very gracious in what they submitted to the NCAA.

They aren't, however, going to bend over backwards to help her get a waiver. It's not their job to do that. Just like UConn isn't bending over trying to get Coombs waiver granted. It's not their job. Once a player leaves, they aren't the former schools problem anymore.

You said: "Once a player leaves, they aren't the former schools problem anymore."

Right on. Anyone ask their former employer in the working world.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Perhaps, Maryland didn't seek a waiver for Mimi, because they knew the reasons were invalid and to not even attempt it. Mimi seemed to understand that transferring equates to a sit out year and that she had no overriding reason that would get it waived.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They are similar in that one player transfers to Geno and he wants her to play now, but is denied so he yells and screams to anyone that will listen to try and get her approved, yet while one transferred away from Geno, gets denied, and he is absolutely silent about it.
That's just a silly stupid post. If you can't see the glaring differences then I have no cure for whatever ails you.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
deer_eating_popcorn.gif

Jan 23...... I surely will be putting it on my calendar now

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And Evina wasn't denied because Tennessee didn't support her transfer. They approved it. Didn't block it. Didn't stand in her way of leaving, and they could have because of the two upcoming games. Your own AD confirmed that Tennessee was very gracious in what they submitted to the NCAA.

They aren't, however, going to bend over backwards to help her get a waiver. It's not their job to do that. Just like UConn isn't bending over trying to get Coombs waiver granted. It's not their job. Once a player leaves, they aren't the former schools problem anymore.

Stop with the bend over backwards nonsense. That has zero meaning in this context. No objection does not equal support. No objection is the minimum required; support is an affirmative statement that you want the kid to be able to play. There are schools that actually support waiver requests and that support has helped. Muffet said Nebraska’s support for Jess Sheppard’s waiver request made a difference. Would Tenn’s support have made a difference for Evina’s request? We don’t know for sure but it might have helped. It would have required nothing more than a statement of support. The fact that your AD would not do even that much is both petty and cruel.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
That's just a silly stupid post. If you can't see the glaring differences then I have no cure for whatever ails you.

If you can't the irony of the two situations, you need to take off your blue glasses.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Stop with the bend over backwards nonsense. That has zero meaning in this context. No objection does not equal support. No objection is the minimum required; support is an affirmative statement that you want the kid to be able to play. There are schools that actually support waiver requests and that support has helped. Muffet said Nebraska’s support for Jess Sheppard’s waiver request made a difference. Would Tenn’s support have made a difference for Evina’s request? We don’t know for sure but it might have helped. It would have required nothing more than a statement of support. The fact that your AD would not do even that much is both petty and cruel.

It's not Tennessee's job to help UConn. It's asinine to Geno to think they would.

Had Tennessee wanted to block her transfer, they had grounds to do so. They didn't and they have moved on.

As Evina said, Sorry Not Sorry.

Reaction Score
Future NCAA transfer protocol: everybody plays the next season or nobody plays. No waivers, no exceptions. :mad: Shepard gets a waiver for whatever reason (we’ll never know the reasons stated, nor should we). Her waiver was granted timely.

Westbrook left for different reasons, and was denied twice. Before Westbrook’s waiver application, I never really cared one way or the other about waiver approval or denials. That is a dynamic that in fairness to everyone needs to be remodeled.

Mistakes are made. A one time transfer can correct those mistakes. Either everyone plays the next season or no one plays. No exceptions. That’s fair for ALL across the board. Right now, everything is shrouded in secrecy.
Supposedly, the rule is to prevent players from just arbitrarily jumping from school to school. So why don't they let everyone play immediately for their 1st transfer and if they transfer again make them sit for a year, no exceptions, no waivers. That'd let an 18 or 19 y/o decide if a school isn't right for them with no penalty. It's not fair to expect everyone to be happy entering a program that they've only been exposed to for brief recruiting visits. It's way past time the NCAA started valuing the student/athlete and not the institutions...But that'll never happen and it why the NCAA is obsolete.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
It's not Tennessee's job to help UConn. It's asinine to Geno to think they would.

Had Tennessee wanted to block her transfer, they had grounds to do so. They didn't and they have moved on.

It’s not Tennessee’s job to help her, you’re right, but if she left Tennessee in good standing (which she did), it’s a jerk move not to help her be successful where she goes next. There job isn’t to help UConn be successful, but to help Evina be successful. Like I said earlier, where she transfers should have no impact on their support. To work against that (even by taking a neutral stance) shows a lot about the character of the athletic department and the program.

After the Leticia Romero debacle, no school would oppose the transfer. It’s publicity suicide to a school who, like Tennessee, is struggling to attract recruits. They may be jerks, but they’re not stupid.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Tennessee can't "block" Evina or anyone else from transferring anyway. That's why the whole portal is there, to ensure that anyone who really wants to transfer isn't prevented from it by the school.

Reaction Score

Except that it isn’t about Tennessee helping UConn, it’s about Tennessee doing the right thing for one of its former students. Sad that you and UT both thing of it as Tennessee versus UConn.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Except that it isn’t about Tennessee helping UConn, it’s about Tennessee doing the right thing for one of its former students. Sad that you and UT both thing of it as Tennessee versus UConn.

Geno made it a Tennessee vs UConn thing when he opened his mouth. He should’ve taken his anger out on the NCAA, not Tennessee.

Reaction Score

The original post asking what is the difference between the 2 cases was absolutely stupid. I have no idea why people bother to respond to it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The original post asking what is the difference between the 2 cases was absolutely stupid. I have no idea why people bother to respond to it.
That's a fair question LOL!

Reaction Score
TN didn't stand in the way and left it open for Evina to transfer to any school she chose. This is unlike UNC where Hatchell, after the transfer of Deshields, blocked certain players from transferring to Tennessee. She allowed them to transfer under certain conditions...not TN, who was on the list of exclusions.

What TN did do was say good luck, where ever you go, but we are not spending any more time and energy on you. Instead, their focus is on the athletes that are currently on a TN scholarship. Not sure about the rest of you, but when I leave one place for another, such as an employer, I'm not looking back and expecting their help with me and my future endeavors other than being a reference about me and my abilities. The ties are severed and I've moved on. That employer has their hands full with the employees that remain there.

Last, the NCAA should not be looking for the former universities to step in and help. Do your job with the information submitted by the athlete and their new university. Stop playing favorites and having so much inconsistency when making the decision. Give specific guidelines that allow for playing right away and stick to it.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but don't think Tennessee's unwillingness to go the extra mile for one of their star student athletes won't go unnoticed...........................it may very well come back to haunt them in the long run.............frankly Westbrook did you guys a big favor by speaking out about the ineptitude of the coaching staff she played under.............without her comments it's very possible you'd be stuck with the very same coach that never failed to do less with more.........

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I'm so grateful that the Tennessee fans are gracious enough to come lecture us about what Geno should and shouldn't be doing. All the warm fuzzies.

You mean the same way Geno is lecturing the NCAA and Tennessee on what they should and shouldn’t do. Goes both ways sweetheart. Don’t like it. Don’t start it. It’s that simple.

Reaction Score
Mikayla's denial may have been collateral damage. The NCAA wasn't going to approve Evina's request and wanted to appear consistent. Or maybe they saw it as a way to say "screw you" to Geno. Maybe a bit of both.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Supposedly, the rule is to prevent players from just arbitrarily jumping from school to school. So why don't they let everyone play immediately for their 1st transfer and if they transfer again make them sit for a year, no exceptions, no waivers. That'd let an 18 or 19 y/o decide if a school isn't right for them with no penalty. It's not fair to expect everyone to be happy entering a program that they've only been exposed to for brief recruiting visits. It's way past time the NCAA started valuing the student/athlete and not the institutions...But that'll never happen and it why the NCAA is obsolete.

There are checks and balances they could incorporate into a program of that nature. For example: a school can take only one transfer a year that plays immediately. They could accept all the transfers they wanted, but only one could play right away. The others sit for a year.

Another check could be that a player may only transfer once, and play the next season. If a player transfers again, they sit. Where there’s a will, ..........

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was there a reason why no one from the AAC conference was not on this committee? Also, I didn't even realize that there was an ASUN conference and I'm not sure someone from Monmouth University or Virginia Polytechnic even cares about UCONN basketball player.

Reaction Score
Vols fans pretend that's different while apparently not understanding the differences in the Coombs/Westbrook situations.
Vols fans or Huskies ? Why would LVs give a crap about Prince getting approved ?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Vols fans or Huskies ? Why would LVs give a crap about Prince getting approved ?

Why do Vols fans give a crap about Coombs' lack of a waiver except to try and use it as a cudgel against Auriemma because he isn't upset over a player no longer on his roster who isn't alleging a hostile environment at her old school?

Reaction Score
So what happens when Sedona Prince gets approved ?

Why would anything happen? That's what Geno and other coaches are complaining about. There are no rhymes or reasons for approval or disapproval of any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom