Westbrook to Uconn [merged thread] | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Westbrook to Uconn [merged thread]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just asking? Certainly Walker told her UCONN is no walk in the park as evidenced by all three of Walker's draftmate leaving UCONN. I hope she has started doing sprints to keep up with her friend.
I would not be surprised, at some point during the summer, to see a video of Megan and Evina training together relentlessly, under the watchful eyes of one of the various basketball trainer/coach gurus.

Reaction Score
Just asking? Certainly Walker told her UCONN is no walk in the park as evidenced by all three of Walker's draftmate leaving UCONN. I hope she has started doing sprints to keep up with her friend.

90% of the players that transfer from UConn, do it because of a perceived lack of playing time. Sure, Geno runs tough practices and demands a lot from his players, but that is not the reason why most decide to transfer,

Reaction Score
I think the idea is to avoid having one player on the court for 40 minutes. Crystal was clearly worn down at the end of last season. Rotating Crystal, Christyn, Evina, and Anna in the guard/wing spots will be heavenly. Meg will play forward at the 3/4 spots, imo

Three spots x 40 minutes / 4 people = 30 minutes each
Clearly it's a benefit to not wear down your players with too minutes. But that somewhat sidesteps the issue of a large number of talented players, all presumably confident in their abilities, finding spots on the court. Yeah, you can mathematically divide minutes - and perhaps that works playing weaker AAC teams. But someone is going to sit - someone who thinks she should be playing - against top tier teams or in end of game crunch times. I trust Geno to work things out as he shrinks his on-court roster, as he always has. I hope team + patience > individual will win out.

Reaction Score
I hope Westbrook is happy and successful. When I watched UT last season she, Rennia Davis and Z Greene we were the only ones who showed flashes of the types of players UT once had up and down the lineup. Westbrook hasn't looked like a point guard either season yet she was better last year. There is no doubt she will improve while she is at UConn if she commits to the program and listens to her coaches.

I'm not crazy about the immediate eligibility thought process. Yes, Mississippi State benefited from AEH last year but I'm unsure why after all these years the NCAA has decided to give so many waivers. Insell was fired at Ole Miss in 2018 and they had a mass exodus of players. To my knowledge none played at their schools last year including Promise Taylor at MSU, nor do I think they should have. I will be curious to see if Westbrook gets her waiver.

Reaction Score
Clearly it's a benefit to not wear down your players with too minutes. But that somewhat sidesteps the issue of a large number of talented players, all presumably confident in their abilities, finding spots on the court. Yeah, you can mathematically divide minutes - and perhaps that works playing weaker AAC teams. But someone is going to sit - someone who thinks she should be playing - against top tier teams or in end of game crunch times. I trust Geno to work things out as he shrinks his on-court roster, as he always has. I hope team + patience > individual will win out.
Maybe he needs to sit them down and show Golden State Warriors film..... A little maturity and less self absorption can win championships

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia Wright was homesick, Kennitra Johnson disliked the fishbowl UConn lives in, and some were, um, encouraged to explore other opportunities. There are others reasons too
Were any of those players getting significant minutes when they transferred?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hope Westbrook is happy and successful. When I watched UT last season she, Rennia Davis and Z Greene we were the only ones who showed flashes of the types of players UT once had up and down the lineup. Westbrook hasn't looked like a point guard either season yet she was better last year. There is no doubt she will improve while she is at UConn if she commits to the program and listens to her coaches.
I'm not crazy about the immediate eligibility thought process. Yes, Mississippi State benefited from AEH last year but I'm unsure why after all these years the NCAA has decided to give so many waivers. Insell was fired at Ole Miss in 2018 and they had a mass exodus of players. To my knowledge none played at their schools last year including Promise Taylor at MSU, nor do I think they should have. I will be curious to see if Westbrook gets her waiver.
The explanation is rather simple. Per the changes to the waiver process implemented last year: If the school from which the player departed opposes the waiver request, the waiver request will not be granted. Ole Miss is in your conference and had no incentive to support the waiver request for Promise Taylor.

Reaction Score
The explanation is rather simple. Per the changes to the waiver process implemented last year: If the school from which the player departed opposes the waiver request, the waiver request will not be granted. Ole Miss is in your conference and had no incentive to support the waiver request for Promise Taylor.

Thanks for the clarification. Some of the OM players who transferred did go out of conference I believe so I guess the school didn't give their support to any of them. I will be curious to see if UT will lend theirs to Westbrook or Collins, wherever she winds up.

Reaction Score
You posted that but not her updated video on EW where she claims Westbrook's move is petty and spiteful? To her credit, this lady has previously openly stated that she despises UConn so at least you know where she's coming from.

Lol

Posted this before hearing her say she wants EW "on her ass" when UConn-Tenn play. She seems to think Westbrook's destination is all about flipping the bird to the Vols. I'm guessing there might be more obvious reasons a player would go to UConn, but that's just me.

She’s not saying “hurt the girl”,....but yeah hurt the girl. Crazy people but we already knew that. It’s Tennessee after all.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Not that the NCAA ever follows any sensible logic, but if the granting of waivers becomes the norm more often than the exception, then shouldn't they just change the rules to conform with what they're doing anyway?

I think it would be fair to all concerned if they keep the rule in place if a player wants to transfer to another school in the same conference, but otherwise let them go to any non-conference school without having to get a waiver. I get that it's designed to protect the schools that put in the time and effort to recruit, coach and develop the players. The transfers get to take all that along with them when they transfer. The flip side is they're treating the transfers like indentured servants.

The problem I have with the waiver process is that the decisions to grant or not to grant are arbitrary and seem fundamentally unfair since nobody knows the criteria. It invites favoritism and subjectivity based on things other than the needs and wants of the schools involved and the players. I'd like to see the waiver process completely eliminated. In conference is always a no, out of conference always a yes.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She’s not saying “hurt the girl”,....but yeah hurt the girl. Crazy people but we already knew that. It’s Tennessee after all.
Oh she's saying hurt the girl, she just didn't want it to be a career ending injury. How magnanimous of her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ole Miss is in your conference and had no incentive to support the waiver request for Promise Taylor.

I don't think Tenn opposed Cooper's waiver petition to play immediately at South Carolina.

I don't like the rule that allows the original school to block a waiver petition. Petitions should be granted or not based on the reasons for the transfer. That said, I think it's a mistake for schools to oppose waiver petitions even for intra-conference transfers. Schools will, of course.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if she is granted a waiver but I hope to be proven wrong. Unlike an ND transfer, she didn’t play for her new coach for a year, then decide to transfer. The same player got to immediately play.

From 2hat I have read ND got a rejection on the first request for a waiver but reworded the next letter and was granted a waiver on that.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe he needs to sit them down and show Golden State Warriors film..... A little maturity and less self absorption can win championships

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am infact a fan of the Warriors (and especially Curry and Thompson) but I would edit your film alot alot alot before using a professional NBA team to demonstrate maturity and less self-absorption. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't think Tenn opposed Cooper's waiver petition to play immediately at South Carolina.

I don't like the rule that allows the original school to block a waiver petition. Petitions should be granted or not based on the reasons for the transfer. That said, I think it's a mistake for schools to oppose waiver petitions even for intra-conference transfers. Schools will, of course.

I think Tennessee did oppose the waiver. Dawn stated so in a interview or a press conference awhile back.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Were any of those players getting significant minutes when they transferred?
Kennitra - 22 minutes in her freshman tear, 18 in her sophomore year (started 3 games). And that was playing on the uber-loaded 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 teams. Kia, like Elena DelleDonne, left before the season.

Reaction Score
Not that the NCAA ever follows any sensible logic, but if the granting of waivers becomes the norm more often than the exception, then shouldn't they just change the rules to conform with what they're doing anyway?

I think it would be fair to all concerned if they keep the rule in place if a player wants to transfer to another school in the same conference, but otherwise let them go to any non-conference school without having to get a waiver. I get that it's designed to protect the schools that put in the time and effort to recruit, coach and develop the players. The transfers get to take all that along with them when they transfer. The flip side is they're treating the transfers like indentured servants.

The problem I have with the waiver process is that the decisions to grant or not to grant are arbitrary and seem fundamentally unfair since nobody knows the criteria, and it invites favoritism and subjectivity based on things other than the needs and wants of the schools involved and the players. I'd like to see the waiver process completely eliminated. In conference is always a no, out of conference always a yes.

The NCAA has more ridiculousness than the US government and yes, I agree the rule should be the same all around rather than a "process". I've seen these waivers in football too and there doesn't always appear to be logic behind who is granted and who isn't. The reason I am less than crazy about the transfer waivers is it opens up the sports to be a free agent market more than it already is. My school has certainly benefited from transfers and waivers but that doesn't mean I'm in love with the idea. Players who came up through AAU ranks are free to play on whatever team they wish and seemingly now players change high schools with a frequency that wasn't widespread back in my day (yes I'm feeling and showing my age). My own feelings won't change the outcomes or process one bit however.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That was great! Everyone should hear this- definitely worth your 9 minutes. Gotta feel like this is representative of how most hard core LV fans really feel. She’s lobbying for physical violence against Westbrook - “but nothing career-ending.”

It’s a good thing there are no borderline crazies in the UConn fan base!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The NCAA has more ridiculousness than the US government and yes, I agree the rule should be the same all around rather than a "process". I've seen these waivers in football too and there doesn't always appear to be logic behind who is granted and who isn't. The reason I am less than crazy about the transfer waivers is it opens up the sports to be a free agent market more than it already is. My school has certainly benefited from transfers and waivers but that doesn't mean I'm in love with the idea. Players who came up through AAU ranks are free to play on whatever team they wish and seemingly now players change high schools with a frequency that wasn't widespread back in my day (yes I'm feeling and showing my age). My own feelings won't change the outcomes or process one bit however.
I think many of us view transfers through a simple prism. Does the transfer benefit our team or not?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Some schools are unbelievably cruel and petty,too

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Tennessee did oppose the waiver. Dawn stated so in a interview or a press conference awhile back.

You're right. Tenn placed no restrictions on where Cooper could transfer but did oppose the waiver. In looking back on Dawn's comments she thought Tenn's opposition was a factor in the NCAA's decision but not the deciding factor.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Given the ever-increasing number of transfers and an expected increase in waiver petitions, I think schools would be foolish to block a waiver request. Many schools will some day want a waiver petition granted. What goes around . . .

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom