Westbrook Status? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Westbrook Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“We’ve got to fix some stuff,” Westbrook began before pausing again. Her gaze fell to the floor.
“With our staff,” she said.
It was an unprompted response..

OK? She still said NOTHING regarding changing staff, adding staff, or firing staff.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gag, I'm beyond sick of this subject of the tea cozy circle around here. Those who say a player has no right to speak her mind better go read The Bill Of Rights. For at least 3 years it was obvious, even to die hard Tenn fans, that Holly Warlick was a blinking idiot head coach. Truly, I have never seen a worse Division I coach. The only things wrong with her firing was it was at least 2 years too late and they didn't kick her buddy, the AD, out with her. So some of you want to hang Holly Killer on a brave young woman's neck and tie her to the stake in the town square? Pathetic.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I too am puzzled and a bit weary with the turn this thread has taken. Did she, as Geno has said, perhaps go a bit too far in her statement? Yes. Is this stuff part of UT lore? Yes. Is this stuff irrelevant here in the present and to her future as a Husky? Yes. So keep circling you guys, there's a dead topic down rhere somewhere.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gag, I'm beyond sick of this subject of the tea cozy circle around here. Those who say a player has no right to speak her mind better go read The Bill Of Rights. For at least 3 years it was obvious, even to die hard Tenn fans, that Holly Warlick was a blinking idiot head coach. Truly, I have never seen a worse Division I coach. The only things wrong with her firing was it was at least 2 years too late and they didn't kick her buddy, the AD, out with her. So some of you want to hang Holly Killer on a brave young woman's neck and tie her to the stake in the town square? Pathetic.
The bill of right can probably remain intact because Evina did utilize her rights to express an opinion. That Holly was a horrendous coach and the TN administration was slow to remove her is not particularly germain to this discussion either. Nor are the over the top hyperboles of " Holly killer' or tying a player to the stake. Consistent with my reading of the bill of rights: IMO, Evina made a mistake by publicly expressing an opinion about TN staff. Was she baited? Likely. Was she stress and frustrated? Definitely.
I would have said the same regardless of school, sport, caliber of the player or the fact that the player later decided to transfer to UCONN. Would you?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK? She still said NOTHING regarding changing staff, adding staff, or firing staff.
Yea, I not sure why Evina would want to "fix" something that was working so beautifully.

Reaction Score
Gee Whiz!. A player makes a comment to a reporter and it becomes a major issue. Hey, players are not politicians and can make statements that they wish in retrospect they should not have made. Taken in context if should never have been a big deal. We are talking about a player who was in a dysfunctional system. What would you expect? Should she have said nothing? Probably, but it still is no big deal. It was just an indirect statement and she did not criticize anyone directly.

Reaction Score
Well, on the surface yes, 1 player or the very small minority should not be making comments about the program. However when there is a preponderance of evidence, regular dysfunction, regular blaming of the player for issues BY the coach who isn’t coaching, complaints of lack of discipline on and off the court, then yes, players should speak their mind to get stubborn people to listen.
That was specific to this situation. I will Tell you and the BY group my son was an unfortunate recipient of an abusive college coach who had been passed along from 3 programs for similar behavior where upon the 4th program fired the coach with enough documentation that the USA Sport Governing body has sanctioned this coach from coaching again. Without a student-athlete speaking up, this abuse would have continued and frankly, all 4 Athletic administrations should have all acted sooner instead of demeaning the athlete.
When the “adult in the room doesn’t act like the adult” someone must fill that void.

perhaps she could have said it off the record but either she didn't know to do that, she was willing to take the consequences of her statement or most likely she just answered the question honestly without thinking about what might come of it.........

Reaction Score

Did you see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yet?

(very minor spoiler alert)

It's like Brad Pitt bashing Dakota Fanning's head again and again on the floor, and then standing her up and bashing her head - really hard - a few more times (unnecessarily) against the stone fireplace. It's gratuitous violence, but somehow Quentin Tarantino makes you want just one more....

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

It's like Brad Pitt bashing Dakota Fanning's head again and again on the floor, and then standing her up and bashing her head - really hard - a few more times (unnecessarily) against the stone fireplace. It's gratuitous violence, but somehow Quentin Tarantino makes you want just one more....

Even Tarantino would have finished with the EW vs. HW business by now. The flies have arrived on the scene.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The bill of right can probably remain intact because Evina did utilize her rights to express an opinion. That Holly was a horrendous coach and the TN administration was slow to remove her is not particularly germain to this discussion either. Nor are the over the top hyperboles of " Holly killer' or tying a player to the stake. Consistent with my reading of the bill of rights: IMO, Evina made a mistake by publicly expressing an opinion about TN staff. Was she baited? Likely. Was she stress and frustrated? Definitely.
I would have said the same regardless of school, sport, caliber of the player or the fact that the player later decided to transfer to UCONN. Would you?

We are just talking by each other so Woof, Woof and tail wag.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

(Fingers in eyes and ears) Lalalalalalalala.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So I assume you are in the EW was a horrible hire camp and will keep it up no matter what?
You can assume I actually paid attention in my fourth grade civics class.

Reaction Score
Mr Rocky: I have my blue book next to me and I read parts every day. Freedom of speech is a right---to a point, as you know. It is as has been often written a kin to ; I have a right to swing my arm--until it contacts your nose.
I.e. Prudent words are the most effective over the long term. She may speak but other may take long term offense. Then we have PC speak, Hate Crime words, slander, etc--apparently that freedom is abridged.
Holly is/was responsible for her own performances and losing her job. Not one UT player was responsible.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm not a constitutional scholar, and I've never played one on Netflix, but I really don't think this is a First Amendment issue.

I suppose you are right, though we do not appear to want to accept all of the consequences that may follow from athletes being employees of their colleges and universities.

Reaction Score
I suppose you are right, though we do not appear to want to accept all of the consequences that may follow from athletes being employees of their colleges and universities.
Gus is NEVER WRONG---ancient scholar he. The wonderful part of being a legal beagle nearly all legal discussions are circular. Even the Supreme Court gets it wrong (often).
Your point on paid/employee's College BB players is interesting. I suspect if it ever happens they shall be individual contract players (more easily removed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom