Westbrook Status? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Westbrook Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
To clarify your comments, Evina’s issues with team rules was that she missed one single class and was suspended for one game as a result.
I imagine that's pretty much par for the course for most major college programs.

( of course that's not considering UNC a major college program :rolleyes:)

Reaction Score
I was just referring to the fact that she had issues regarding team rules on at least one occasion and went on video and torched the coach (which IMO needed to be done so kudos to her).

Also, I wouldn’t be extremely surprised if Mimi Collins got approved and Evina’s didn’t. I would be shocked if it was the other way though.

The new coach did meet with Westbrook and I’m sure asked her to stay, so that would eliminate her having “issues” to me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I imagine that's pretty much par for the course for most major college programs.

( of course that's not considering UNC a major college program :rolleyes:)
I get that schools have to monitor academic performance including grades, attendance and so forth. But the idea that a player would be suspended for missing one class appears overly rigid to me. There are numerous reasons why someone would miss a class. Perhaps they had a test in another class that they deemed more important and were studying intensely for it. Perhaps they just didn't feel well. If absence from class was frequent, then yes, by all means, suspend a player. But I think it is also appropriate to treat college players like adults, until they demonstrate otherwise.

Reaction Score
I get that schools have to monitor academic performance including grades, attendance and so forth. But the idea that a player would be suspended for missing one class appears overly rigid to me. There are numerous reasons why someone would miss a class. Perhaps they had a test in another class that they deemed more important and were studying intensely for it. Perhaps they just didn't feel well. If absence from class was frequent, then yes, by all means, suspend a player. But I think it is also appropriate to treat college players like adults, until they demonstrate otherwise.
She was late and she missed a class, so unlike your previous post, she was late in addition to missing a class, so it wasn't solely because she missed class as you had said earlier.

Team rules are set, and that is what happens if you violate them.

The new coach did meet with Westbrook and I’m sure asked her to stay, so that would eliminate her having “issues” to me.
Te'a Cooper also had a meeting with Holly at Tennessee before she left -- and she did have issues, so that wouldn't full eliminate it. (Per Holly).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She was late and she missed a class, so unlike your previous post, she was late in addition to missing a class, so it wasn't solely because she missed class as you had said earlier.

Team rules are set, and that is what happens if you violate them.

You are assuming that the tweet refers to 2 separate incidents. The way I read it is that because she was late Evina missed a class. Otherwise, I would expect some explanation of her lateness, i.e. late for practice. late for the game bus, etc.

Reaction Score
I don't think Tennessee will object. If they do, the series with UConn will be short-lived. They need UConn on their schedule far more than the reverse. I don't think they are THAT dumb.
IMO,UT is almost certain to object. I do not see UT needing the series with UConn more than UConn but I do think that series is good for WBB, it is a game fans will want to see. I just wish eligibility for transfers was more straightforward and easy to understand.

Reaction Score
You are assuming that the tweet refers to 2 separate incidents. The way I read it is that because she was late Evina missed a class. Otherwise, I would expect some explanation of her lateness, i.e. late for practice. late for the game bus, etc.
Well it is set up as two separate incidents, becuase she arrived late AND she missed class, rather than missed class BECAUSE she was late, but regardless it was just one small incident and it won't happen at UConn. All we can do is hope the waiver gets approved sooner than later!

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The idea that Evina “torched the coach” is a bit overstated. Immediately following a tough 1st round loss in the NCAA’s, at the end of a difficult season, a reporter stuck a mic in front of Evina and asked an inappropriate question, to which Evina mumbled a response about “changes to the coaching staff,” then immediately shut down the conversation when the reporter asked a follow up question.
It was even more tepid than that. Her exact words were: "I just think off-the-court stuff ... steps need to be taken with our staff ...".

I don't think it was a good idea on her part, but to hear others talk you'd think she had started chanting "Fire Holly!" with the crazed vehemence of VolNation.

Reaction Score
agreed... MANY times College Professors make it very clear to their students if they are "late" they are NOT welcome to join the class... even to the point of the doors being locked from entering. SO... Late could very well be the cause of Missing the class. :cool: We don't know the full story and should just let it go while WE WAIT for a decision. :confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
agreed... MANY times College Professors make it very clear to their students if they are "late" they are NOT welcome to join the class... even to the point of the doors being locked from entering. SO... Late could very well be the cause of Missing the class. :cool: We don't know the full story and should just let it go while WE WAIT for a decision. :confused:
I do recall several college professors
back in the day, typically ones having tenure, that if you strolled into their class late, you were risking THE WRATH OF GOD! :eek:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well it is set up as two separate incidents, becuase she arrived late AND she missed class, rather than missed class BECAUSE she was late, but regardless it was just one small incident and it won't happen at UConn. All we can do is hope the waiver gets approved sooner than later!
Clearly, there have been academic issues with a very small number of UConn WBB players. De’Janae Boykin comes to mind. The difference being that UConn never made a public announcement about the issue and never required the player to issue a public apology like TN. In Boykin’s case, she never suited up and never was allowed to sit on the bench, even in street clothes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Regarding whether the Tenn AD will object to EW’s waiver (they don’t need to support it), I don’t think they will.
New coach, new attitude. Plus they finally got a game with UConn, no point in pissing us off just to be a jerk to Westbrook. I'm guessing they won't object.

Reaction Score
I do recall several college professors
back in the day, typically ones having tenure, that if you strolled into their class late, you were risking THE WRATH OF GOD! :eek:
Me too, we had a chemistry professor at State who had a policy, if the door is closed do not come in. One guy came in anyway, the prof was at the board and asked “who is the SOB who came in late.” The reply was “whose the SOB that wants to know”. He stayed!

Reaction Score
This all seems crazy. I had a biochemistry class where I went to four meetings. First, 2 exams, and the last. I got As on the exam and an A in the class. If she was doing well in the class, who cares.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
This all seems crazy. I had a biochemistry class where I went to four meetings. First, 2 exams, and the last. I got As on the exam and an A in the class. If she was doing well in the class, who cares.
I have to echo Cat's comment. what's crazy is that anyone is even talking about this. The issue is ancient history. An internal team matter of rules and discipline (which Chris and Geno deal with all the time). We don't know the details and never will. An extended discussion will not change understanding or change anything else other than increase factless speculation.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Actually, this language is usually contained in you scholarship and standing agreement that the student signs. Studying for another final might be an excused absence if stated prior to skipping. Coming up with the excuse after missing said class-verboten! Also, having athletes skip classes who are on full scholarship does not present a great perspective and would cause the coach and AD to answer unnecessary questions. I am ok with this being a requirement and probably would have helped me when I was playing a sport in college.
One of my sons did not have it as a requirement and one did. One has. 3.35 GPA and the other doesn’t. Both are athletes whose schools behave differently on oversight. The one with the rigid rules has a higher GPA. So yeah, I am good with the rules! ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If she's doing well on the court I suppose you wouldn't have a problem with her missing practice too???

Reaction Score
Of course you are assuming we know all that is known about that absence from class. Rarely is that the case. But you know that. So If they know something we don't (a given) it is likely she was treated as an adult who had responsibilities she failed to meet. But that too you knew.
Not taking you to task with the ( You knew/know) just pointing out for others that you did know/knew.
There is a fine line when dealing with teens/post teens/ under 28 kids about how much rope do you give them, it's and individual thing. When the feet are burnt rope too burns that a bit much.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It was even more tepid than that. Her exact words were: "I just think off-the-court stuff ... steps need to be taken with our staff ...".
I don't think it was a good idea on her part, but to hear others talk you'd think she had started chanting "Fire Holly!" with the crazed vehemence of VolNation.
I can't speak to the crazed vehemence of VolNation but there was a more specific follow up question to Evina remark about "steps with staff". Specific in that she was also about Holly return as coach. I'm not sure why some are determined to ignore the original answer or her answer to that specific follow up question. Neither (steps with the TN staff or Holly's return) was appropriate for ANY player to comment on.

Reaction Score
If she's doing well on the court I suppose you wouldn't have a problem with her missing practice too???
Who in their right mind would punish a STAR? The one who scores, plays defense, knows the system/plays? If she leaves so does the franchise. This ain't 1842--it's modern times when we accept the judgement of our STARS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom