Westbrook Status? | The Boneyard

Westbrook Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When aprox. will we hear of Westbrook’s status? I was wondering when a fall transfer student’s playing status is reviewed by the NCAA. Thx

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Today, tomorrow, next week, before school starts, September, the day after practice starts, two weeks after the season starts??? Pretty much whenever NCAA gets around to it.

Most likely, 95% chance, we'll now before Christmas.

Reaction Score
if I'm not mistaken there was an article on the BY fairly recently where it was said the NCAA wants to take a harder and more consistent line on these waivers. As much as I'd love to see her play this season, I'm certainly not counting on the NCAA giving UConn a break in this instance........

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
if I'm not mistaken there was an article on the BY fairly recently where it was said the NCAA wants to take a harder and more consistent line on these waivers. As much as I'd love to see her play this season, I'm certainly not counting on the NCAA giving UConn a break in this instance...

An article reported that these new policies/interpretations would commence in August. I suspect this does not mean for waiver requests filed after August 1, but all waiver requests after August 1. As of late June UConn's waiver request remained a work in progress.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
An article reported that these new policies/interpretations would commence in August. I suspect this does not mean for waiver requests filed after August 1, but all waiver requests after August 1. As of late June UConn's waiver request remained a work in progress.
Is it me or does this not make sense to anyone else? Is the second part referring to all waiver requests "reviewed" after August 1 but were filed (obviously) before August 1?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I posted these queries (italics) on another thread but they fit better here:

Who adjudicates the waiver request? Is it a single person or a committee? Is there any transparency? If it is a committee, do we know the members of the committee? Is a vote taken? Are the results of the vote made known? Is the individual requesting the waiver interviewed and permitted to state her case? If denied a waiver, is there a process in which a player or school may appeal that decision? Has this system ever been tested in court?

Finally, are these questions ridiculously naive given that we're talking about the NCAA?

Reaction Score
Please check back with us in November. That's when we will hear back from the NCAA.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Today, tomorrow, next week, before school starts, September, the day after practice starts, two weeks after the season starts??? Pretty much whenever NCAA gets around to it.

Unless of course it rains in Indianapolis on Christmas Eve and then it could be delayed until after the new year. Hopefully we'll know before Valentines Day 2020. Hopefully.

Reaction Score
We will know when the carrier pigeon arrives..please CT. hunters don't mistake it for a Louisville Cardinal and don"t shoot it.!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When aprox. will we hear of Westbrook’s status? I was wondering when a fall transfer student’s playing status is reviewed by the NCAA. Thx
Hearing that there will be an announcement in 20 minutes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Then again, there is the case of Ms. Cooper ... denial Jan. 27, 2018. Whereupon a grumpy Dawn suggested to assembled media that Cooper had an excellent lawsuit against the NCAA.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Then again, there is the case of Ms. Cooper ... denial Jan. 27, 2018. Whereupon a grumpy Dawn suggested to assembled media that Cooper had an excellent lawsuit against the NCAA.
Refresh my memory, but didn’t USC wait until the end of the 1st semester in Dec to apply for the waiver? Her situation was also completely different than EW’s. Last I checked, EW was in good standing with the school and coach, not having been suspended ever for infractions. TC was suspended at least twice, was caught fighting a teammate on video, was kicked out of the program by the Athletic Department (not the coach) so as one of the items the committee looks at is the departing schools perspective.Given the shear volume of transfers now, until the committee does evolve and proscribe rules to follow, the case by case basis will take a while. My view of best hope to hear is late October. By then, rulings on most fall sports will have been determined and we can glean from those decisions how EWs case May be determined.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Refresh my memory, but didn’t USC wait until the end of the 1st semester in Dec to apply for the waiver? Her situation was also completely different than EW’s. Last I checked, EW was in good standing with the school and coach, not having been suspended ever for infractions. TC was suspended at least twice, was caught fighting a teammate on video, was kicked out of the program by the Athletic Department (not the coach) so as one of the items the committee looks at is the departing schools perspective.Given the shear volume of transfers now, until the committee does evolve and proscribe rules to follow, the case by case basis will take a while. My view of best hope to hear is late October. By then, rulings on most fall sports will have been determined and we can glean from those decisions how EWs case May be determined.

I was not suggesting parallel cases, just the unpredictable nature of the process. Sorry I wasn't clearer. Yes, T'ea's waiver was submitted in December. There may be some parallel though. Staley revealed that Tennessee objected to the waiver. If memory serves EW transferred from there.

Reaction Score
I know EW was suspended at least one game (I forget if it was more) for skipping classes). Of course that isn’t suspension from the school, but still a form of suspension.

Also, I would be surprised if she left in “good standing.” Did you watch the video? Plus with TN playing UConn next year, good chance TN won’t help us out.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I know EW was suspended at least one game (I forget if it was more) for skipping classes). Of course that isn’t suspension from the school, but still a form of suspension.

Also, I would be surprised if she left in “good standing.” Did you watch the video? Plus with TN playing UConn next year, good chance TN won’t help us out.

I’m certain she left in good standing which refers to academics and school discipline.

Regarding whether the Tenn AD will object to EW’s waiver (they don’t need to support it), I don’t think they will. I don’t see the benefit of doing so. Given the number of transfers we’re seeing every year, I doubt coaches and ADs want to be objecting to waiver requests by former players. Word spreads and what goes around comes around. Let the NCAA decide.

Reaction Score
I’m certain she left in good standing which refers to academics and school discipline.

Regarding whether the Tenn AD will object to EW’s waiver (they don’t need to support it), I don’t think they will. I don’t see the benefit of doing so. Given the number of transfers we’re seeing every year, I doubt coaches and ADs want to be objecting to waiver requests by former players. Word spreads and what goes around comes around. Let the NCAA decide.
I was just referring to the fact that she had issues regarding team rules on at least one occasion and went on video and torched the coach (which IMO needed to be done so kudos to her).

Also, I wouldn’t be extremely surprised if Mimi Collins got approved and Evina’s didn’t. I would be shocked if it was the other way though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was just referring to the fact that she had issues regarding team rules on at least one occasion and went on video and torched the coach (which IMO needed to be done so kudos to her).

Also, I wouldn’t be extremely surprised if Mimi Collins got approved and Evina’s didn’t. I would be shocked if it was the other way though.
To clarify your comments, Evina’s issues with team rules was that she missed one single class and was suspended for one game as a result. When I was in college, if I had been suspended every time I skipped a class, I might never have played in a game.

The idea that Evina “torched the coach” is a bit overstated. Immediately following a tough 1st round loss in the NCAA’s, at the end of a difficult season, a reporter stuck a mic in front of Evina and asked an inappropriate question, to which Evina mumbled a response about “changes to the coaching staff,” then immediately shut down the conversation when the reporter asked a follow up question.

Finally, while there are subtle distinctions between Evina and Collins situations, they are really distinctions without a difference. One player appeared to like HW and the other had an ambivalent relationship. On the other hand, Evina can point to withering and perhaps threatening criticism on social media The bottom line is that both players left a program in disarray after the HC was fired. IMO they will both be granted waivers, or neither will be granted waivers.

Reaction Score
To clarify your comments, Evina’s issues with team rules was that she missed one single class and was suspended for one game as a result. When I was in college, if I had been suspended every time I skipped a class, I might never have played in a game.

The idea that Evina “torched the coach” is a bit overstated. Immediately following a tough 1st round loss in the NCAA’s, at the end of a difficult season, a reporter stuck a mic in front of Evina and asked an inappropriate question, to which Evina mumbled a response about “changes to the coaching staff,” then immediately shut down the conversation when the reporter asked a follow up question.

Finally, while there are subtle distinctions between Evina and Collins situations, they are really distinctions without a difference. One player appeared to like HW and the other had an ambivalent relationship. On the other hand, Evina can point to withering and perhaps threatening criticism on social media The bottom line is that both players left a program in disarray after the HC was fired. IMO they will both be granted waivers, or neither will be granted waivers.
I think there should be a hard and fine line about the waivers, particularly about issues with a coach, but unfortunately -- there aren't.

I am just concerned that it will end up like the ones from Ole Miss. After a coaching change, two players transferred, the better one to a rival school across the country from their home, and the less good one just to another school extremely close to home. The better player going to the rival school on the other side of the country was not the one whose waiver was granted -- I hope we see more clarification. Plus, we don't know when Mimi sent hers in, but Evina's was surely after the made the rules more strict.

Violating team rules is violating team rules regardless of what it was -- especially when she knew she would be letting the team down on their biggest game of the year. Almost 100% sure we won't see that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom