Westbrook Status? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Westbrook Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't speak to the crazed vehemence of VolNation but there was a more specific follow up question to Evina remark about "steps with staff". Specific in that she was also about Holly return as coach. I'm not sure why some are determined to ignore the original answer or her answer to that specific follow up question. Neither (steps with the TN staff or Holly's return) was appropriate for ANY player to comment on.

When asked what problems the team was facing Westbrook stated " I just think off the court stuff, um, steps needs to be taken with our staff and just overall with this team". When pressed with the questions "Are there problems off the court with this team?" and " Do you expect Warlick will be back as HC?" Westbrook stated "I won't say" and "I don't know". She did NOTHING wrong!

Reaction Score
When asked what problems the team was facing Westbrook stated " I just think off the court stuff, um, steps needs to be taken with our staff and just overall with this team". When pressed with the questions "Are there problems off the court with this team?" and " Do you expect Warlick will be back as HC?" Westbrook stated "I won't say" and "I don't know". She did NOTHING wrong!
Lobo had a big issue with it, which means there was something wrong about it, as did Landers.

“Lobo weighed in Sunday, saying she was “a little bit surprised that (Westbrook) brought the coaching staff into it.”

“Evina Westbrook is only a sophomore, but I was taken aback at her statement introducing the prospect of the coaches,” said Lobo, an Olympic gold medalist who played at Connecticut and in the WNBA, “because she’s been wearing that Tennessee uniform for two years. Holly Warlick has given 38 years of her life to that program. I thought she deserved a little bit more.”

Fellow analyst Andy Landers, the former longtime Georgia coach, agreed with Lobo.

“I think there’s people in place at the University of Tennessee who are capable, qualified and charged with making decisions as it relates to people’s employment,” Landers said. “Those aren’t the players. That’s the administration at the University of Tennessee. I think players step a little bit over the line when they try to make those kinds of decisions.”

Reaction Score
I think there should be a hard and fine line about the waivers, particularly about issues with a coach, but unfortunately -- there aren't.

I am just concerned that it will end up like the ones from Ole Miss. After a coaching change, two players transferred, the better one to a rival school across the country from their home, and the less good one just to another school extremely close to home. The better player going to the rival school on the other side of the country was not the one whose waiver was granted -- I hope we see more clarification. Plus, we don't know when Mimi sent hers in, but Evina's was surely after the made the rules more strict.

Violating team rules is violating team rules regardless of what it was -- especially when she knew she would be letting the team down on their biggest game of the year. Almost 100% sure we won't see that again.
Not sure of the two players from Ole Miss but I assume one was Promise Taylor, I know a number of players transferred from Ole Miss when the coach was fired and I do not believe any were granted a waiver, not sure of the name but I know the girl that transferred to Alabama was also denied a waiver. I think Ole Miss did not agree with the waivers and that was enough for the NCAA to decline the waiver.

Reaction Score
Not sure of the two players from Ole Miss but I assume one was Promise Taylor, I know a number of players transferred from Ole Miss when the coach was fired and I do not believe any were granted a waiver, not sure of the name but I know the girl that transferred to Alabama was also denied a waiver. I think Ole Miss did not agree with the waivers and that was enough for the NCAA to decline the waiver.
The girl who went to Troy’s was granted.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Lobo had a big issue with it, which means there was something wrong about it, as did Landers.

“Lobo weighed in Sunday, saying she was “a little bit surprised that (Westbrook) brought the coaching staff into it.”

“Evina Westbrook is only a sophomore, but I was taken aback at her statement introducing the prospect of the coaches,” said Lobo, an Olympic gold medalist who played at Connecticut and in the WNBA, “because she’s been wearing that Tennessee uniform for two years. Holly Warlick has given 38 years of her life to that program. I thought she deserved a little bit more.”

Fellow analyst Andy Landers, the former longtime Georgia coach, agreed with Lobo.

“I think there’s people in place at the University of Tennessee who are capable, qualified and charged with making decisions as it relates to people’s employment,” Landers said. “Those aren’t the players. That’s the administration at the University of Tennessee. I think players step a little bit over the line when they try to make those kinds of decisions.”

That was their opinion. Did they say what Westbrook should have answered? That reporter was trying to make a story instead of reporting one.

Reaction Score

Sort of a patronizing viewpoint. Players have no right to an opinion? Landers' viewpoint would suggest that all of those players who have been physically and emotionally abused at a number of programs across the country, including North Carolina, have no right to speak out, have no right to have their opinions heard.

Clearly Westbrook understood that Tennessee was a dysfunctional team, and that the coaches were the problem. Soon thereafter the university fired Warlick.

College athletes deserve more respect, even when giving voice to inconvenient truths.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As I wrote on March 23 2019 before Evina decided to come to UCONN and in the process apparently becoming "perfect" in the eyes of some. She did nothing right in this situation.

I really like Evina but I'm not sure she should be the one calling for "staff" changes after the day she had today.

Reaction Score
As I wrote on March 23 2019 before Evina decided to come to UCONN and in the process apparently becoming "perfect" in the eyes of some. She did nothing right in this situation.

and that's one reason I'll be a bit surprised if the NCAA grants her waiver request................I don't think the NCAA wants to "reward" players for speaking out against their coaches unless unlawful actions have taken place..........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
and that's one reason I'll be a bit surprised if the NCAA grants her waiver request......I don't think the NCAA wants to "reward" players for speaking out against their coaches unless unlawful actions have taken place.....
Doubtful that the NCAA cares about what Evina said, even more doubtful it will have any impact on the waiver request.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno addressed the situation back in May. Not sure why this remains a hot topic but it is the silly season.

Westbrook, with two years of eligibility remaining, raised eyebrows after the Lady Vols were eliminated from the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Saying she didn’t know whether Warlick would be back didn’t exactly charge the mountain for the embattled coach.

“I just think off-the-court stuff, steps need to be taken with our staff and just overall off the court with this team,” she said.

Asked if he was bothered by any of this, Auriemma said no.

“It doesn’t,” he said. “Kids say things all the time. Coaches say things all the time. I wasn’t there. I know Holly really well. I don’t presume to know how that all went down. I’m not going to make any decision based on that. She knows the way she handled that probably wasn’t the best way to handle it. We talked about it, and she knows that.”

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not exactly! College players IMO should have no right to an opinion regarding how a University's administration goes about "staffing" a program.
Did you mean to say that college players should have no right to EXPRESS an opinion PUBLICLY about their university’s staffing decisions? Certainly no one can stop them from having an opinion about that, and in a private setting (such as if the athletic director asks them confidentially whether they think the coach is doing a good job), it may be appropriate to express a candid opinion. But they should refrain from making public comments.

If that is what you meant, then I agree with you.

Reaction Score
Did you mean to say that college players should have no right to EXPRESS an opinion PUBLICLY about their university’s staffing decisions? Certainly no one can stop them from having an opinion about that, and in a private setting (such as if the athletic director asks them confidentially whether they think the coach is doing a good job), it may be appropriate to express a candid opinion. But they should refrain from making public comments.

Should those players abused by their coaches be forbidden to express their views in public? To the administration? Should those women athletes abused by their team doctor at Michigan State have no right to speak out? And wasn't that attitude that the athletes' opinions had no weight at least part of the reason that the abuse went on so long?

These are not children, not middle school kids. They're adults. Something tells me that they should be accorded more respect and more rights than having to keep their mouths shut in the face of incompetence and abuse.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did you mean to say that college players should have no right to EXPRESS an opinion PUBLICLY about their university’s staffing decisions?
Precisely.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Should those players abused by their coaches be forbidden to express their views in public? To the administration? Should those women athletes abused by their team doctor at Michigan State have no right to speak out? And wasn't that attitude that the athletes' opinions had no weight at least part of the reason that the abuse went on so long?
These are not children, not middle school kids. They're adults. Something tells me that they should be accorded more respect and more rights than having to keep their mouths shut in the face of incompetence and abuse.
No. No. No.
Speaking about abuse is always a good thing, I would always encourage it.
Unless you though Evina was being abused at TN we are talking about completely different things.

Reaction Score
Not exactly! College players IMO should have no right to an opinion regarding how a University's administration goes about "staffing" a program.

When did Westbrook ever do that?

She said "I just think off the court stuff, um, steps needs to be taken with our staff and just overall with this team". I took that to mean that the team had issues off the court and that the staff had to take certain steps to correct it.

Reaction Score

JoePgh: Student complaint as all complaints should first take the proper path established for resolution. HOWEVER when that does not work---loudly, but be certain of your facts, make it public. All perceived abuse is actual abuse--all perceived crimes are crime--all insults are not always intended insults.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am making a pledge to never again comment on Evina’s past situation at TN. She is a Husky now and she gets a clean slate in my book. I have absolutely no doubt that under Geno, CD and the rest of the staff, along with an incredible group of teammates, Evina will excel as a player and mature as a fine young lady.

I continue to reserve the right to criticize the Lady Vols in general, and the NCAA if they fail to grant Evina’s waiver request.

Reaction Score

Some folks recently had issues with what lebron was doing, does that make it wrong?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Who in their right mind would punish a STAR? The one who scores, plays defense, knows the system/plays? If she leaves so does the franchise. This ain't 1842--it's modern times when we accept the judgement of our STARS.
I didn’t know Allen Iverson was a member of the Boneyard! Welcome aboard...Practice? “ We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice.”?
:rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When did Westbrook ever do that?
She said "I just think off the court stuff, um, steps needs to be taken with our staff and just overall with this team". I took that to mean that the team had issues off the court and that the staff had to take certain steps to correct it.
“We’ve got to fix some stuff,” Westbrook began before pausing again. Her gaze fell to the floor.
“With our staff,” she said.
It was an unprompted response.......

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, on the surface yes, 1 player or the very small minority should not be making comments about the program. However when there is a preponderance of evidence, regular dysfunction, regular blaming of the player for issues BY the coach who isn’t coaching, complaints of lack of discipline on and off the court, then yes, players should speak their mind to get stubborn people to listen.
That was specific to this situation. I will Tell you and the BY group my son was an unfortunate recipient of an abusive college coach who had been passed along from 3 programs for similar behavior where upon the 4th program fired the coach with enough documentation that the USA Sport Governing body has sanctioned this coach from coaching again. Without a student-athlete speaking up, this abuse would have continued and frankly, all 4 Athletic administrations should have all acted sooner instead of demeaning the athlete.
When the “adult in the room doesn’t act like the adult” someone must fill that void.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom