Westbeld to Notre Dame. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Westbeld to Notre Dame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
Boy you sure do like playing fast and loose. Where did he say "hatred"? I read dislike several times in the posts. Maybe I missed it. Keep drinking that kool aid tho!

And what's wrong with pointing out that ND has gotten the better players the last 2-3 years? No shame in that. Tennessee fans want to continue to think they are at the top of the mountain, but they still have a big climb ahead of them and of course UCONN has far surpassed them, and at this point I'd say probably Duke and ND as well.

I apologize for being liberal with my phrasing.

My point remains the same. Nothing would be wrong with eric's point, if it were true.

Notre Dame hasn't out-recruited Tennessee on a regular basis, even recently until this year.

Starting in 2007, when I started following recruiting, Tennessee has had a better class than ND every year except for 2010 and presently in 2014. As I said though, if we land any of our remaining targets, we will rank higher this year as well.

To further prove my point about 2012, Tennessee had the 5th, 16th, and 22nd ranked players using the consensus rankings versus the 4th, 42nd, and 65th for Notre Dame. I don't know how or why ESPN ranked ND's class above Tenn using their own rankings, but it is even more clear looking at everyone's.

They have a higher ranked freshman class on campus now because of Tucker being held and injured by her boyfriend, but they didn't out-recruit Tennessee last year.

I'm not drinking any Kool-aid, and I haven't come on this board proclaiming we are going to win it all this year or next year or anything of the like. I'm not arguing who's program is better or against any other team's success. I was simply disagreeing with Eric, not for the first time and I'm sure not for the last. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Again, the numbers of recruiting are superficial and meaningless. Take all the comfort you want in the recruiting numbers if that is how you want to measure recruiting. Personally, it may just mean that you ended up with a bunch of players whose intangibles were deficits when it came to taking the court and playing whereas ND recruited better and found the players with the right intangibles. Recruiting services are a craps shoot. I'll take the coach and program whose choices prove it out on the court that their recruiting was right. Clearly, given the last half decade ND's getting the better recruiting. Ignore the numbers they are only accurate in a gross sense.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Again, the numbers of recruiting are superficial and meaningless.
But that's the only way to measure a recruiting class. After they get to college, there are too many variables. Other classes, player injuries, players staying or transferring, coaching.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But that's the only way to measure a recruiting class. After they get to college, there are too many variables. Other classes, player injuries, players staying or transferring, coaching.
No, there is, also, trusting the eye of the real professionals, the coaches. Trusting the Genos and Muffets and the things in the players they pursue that they see as the right stuff.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No, there is, also, trusting the eye of the real professionals, the coaches. Trusting the Genos and Muffets and the things in the players they pursue that they see as the right stuff.
But you can't measure that. Otherwise one would say UCONN and ND get the top recruiting class every year because they have the best coaches.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think we're all forgetting that ND was blown out by UConn for many years until Diggins arrived. Lets see what ND does w/o Diggins this season and for the next few seasons. UConn lost to ND the past few years because ND could get to the foul line. Pre foul line games ND struggled against UConn. Remember the first game that ESPN did at Gampel a few years ago. It was a special game I forgot what they called it. ND was intimidated before they got on the floor and UConn beat them badly. Im very interested in seeing what happens this season with ND in the ACC and w/o Diggins. The core is still there but the point guard isn't. Lets just see over the next couple of years what happens.

Reaction Score
I think we're all forgetting that ND was blown out by UConn for many years until Diggins arrived. Lets see what ND does w/o Diggins this season and for the next few seasons.

Not taking anything away from her/her teammates but let's not forget ND hadn't beat UConn until the FF in her sophomore year, so it wasn't instant success either.

Reaction Score
All of Tennessee's successes and failures have been well documented on this board. I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said.

With the classes I mentioned, we've won one National Championship, four conference tournaments, three regular season conference championships, and made it to four Elite Eights.
It has absolutely nothing to do with what you said. You should expect UCONN fans to take pot shots at UTENN whenever possible. We would expect the same in return. Part of the give and take. Let it roll off your back.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But you can't measure that. Otherwise one would say UCONN and ND get the top recruiting class every year because they have the best coaches.
I have no problem with not being able to measure because my point is that any measuring done by services is quite weak and inconsistent. And worse yet they are biased by who they see and who they don't, whose tournaments they play in and on whose team. The real measuring comes on the court when we see what coaches can do with the talent they have assembled. ND is kicking TN's butt there. I am quite satisfied trusting Geno and his eye over those biased pseudo experts who sell their opinions.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The real measuring comes on the court when we see what coaches can do with the talent they have assembled.
But that doesn't measure the individual recruiting class.
my point is that any measuring done by services is quite weak and inconsistent.
While possibly true (but one, vowelguy, can combine the many different services and give a pretty decent measure), that is what we have to measure the recruiting classes. And that's what we were discussing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I still consider those next to meaningless. Vg's consolidation is an improvement but all they really provide is a shortcut for coaches as to who they want to make an effort to see. Any reliance on them for true ordinal ranking of the talent or their future development is nonsense. I will take Geno and staffs' eyes for that anyday.

Reaction Score
Well, OK, I don't actually HATE them, but my strong anti-ND bias is based on the fact that the media has such a love affair with the place, going all the way back to the days of Knute Rockne, that they're always climbing all over themselves to "anoint" them champions of something or other irrespective of whether or not their actual accomplishments warrant such recognition, which they more often than not don't. Having said that, I am compelled to offer at least grudging admiration where it IS deserved.

Had to toss you a "Like" for the simple fact that that's one of the best crafted run-on sentences I've come across in quite some time, going all the way back to ninth grade composition, and probably earlier although I can't say I actually remember everything that's happened between then and now which doesn't change the envy I feel toward your actual accomplishment but I have to admit you pulled it off with style and grace which makes it all the more memorable and for that I will remain grateful, a feeling upon which I'd like to expand but feel I'd better stop here.

Reaction Score
I think we're all forgetting that ND was blown out by UConn for many years until Diggins arrived.

Actually Diggins was 0-3 against UConn her freshman season with ND losing by an average of over 20 points per game. If you want to get technical, it wasn't until McBride (and Anchowa & Braker) joined the team that the Irish started having some success against the Huskies. Overall, McBride has a 7-4 record vs. UConn. Not too many players can say they had a winning career record vs. UConn! Many already considered McBride an AA candidate with Diggins...it will be interesting how high she can advance her game without Diggins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom