Westbeld to Notre Dame. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Westbeld to Notre Dame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
My sense is that Ivey has had a lot to do with ND's recruiting success of late.

Reaction Score
Also, didn't she lose 1 or 2 asst coaches shortly after the NC in 2001? I thought one or two of them moved on to other gigs, and that hurt her recruiting as well.

McGuff, now of ohio st, is an ex ND assistant.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
McGuff, now of ohio st, is an ex ND assistant.
Thanks. I just looked him up - he left ND in 2002 to coach Xavier? That would have been a big hole to fill for Muffet...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Then a couple of years later Coquese Washington.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
Correct. What I should have said is it's great to see ND continue to recruit like gangbusters so they can continue to out perform Tennessee on a regular basis. And what I also meant is performance on the court. As fans, we all like to go back to recruiting classes and say "ooh, so and so was a top 5 recruit, etc etc.". Well how did they do in college?

The past 5 years, Tennessee has gone out in the NCAA's in the first round, sweet 16, and elite 8 three times. So going back to 2008, I guess those "better" classes didn't work out so well for Tennessee fans. What I could have said is that Muffett has coached circles around Pat in her twilight years, and Holly so far as well. Would that have made Tnvolfan65 feel better?

And, "on a regular basis" is subjective. Tnvolfan went back to 2008 for recruits. Yet the 2008 and 2009 classes have graduated. So it IS fair to say that ND has out-recruited Tennessee RECENTLY since ND's 2012 and 2014 classes are both better. It's really splitting hairs.

My original comment, then, was correct. Recently (the past 3 years), ND has outrecruited Tennessee. Having said all that, it's no surprise to people who know me on this board that Tennessee is my most disliked sports team bar none. I will admit that this dislike manifests itself at times in my posts. But the genesis of my original post is still accurate, hence disputing Tnvolfan's comments.

If you can explain to me how getting the 4th, 33rd, and 52nd ranked players in 2012 is better than getting the 5th, 21st, and 39th, plus the late addition of Nia Moore, then I might agree with you. Otherwise your statement is still not correct.

Notre Dame simply has a better class than Tennessee this year. And that would change if Tennessee got a commitment from White, Wilson, or Nurse.

And yes, recruiting success is ultimately measured by success on the court. Tennessee's classes in 2007-2008 classes didn't live up to expectations. Our latest number one class was in 2011. We can evaluate their success after they graduate.

Reaction Score
Good for Westbeld. I thought she would have been a great fit for the UCONN program. Everything I read about her was that she did not care about stats, but who got the W at the end of the game.

Does anyone know the story about her UCONN recruitment ? It seemed to me that we were right up there with ND, and Ohio St., then I read where one of the local writers said she was no longer in the picture. Anyone know what happened ?

I agree. I wanted her at UCONN. I saw her as a Faris type.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually, Tnvolfan65, I was wrong. ND has had the better class in ALL of the last 3 years. You can count Tucker as a "Tennessee recruit", but the poor kid never made it to campus and I don't see her playing there any time soon. So I don't count her as a Tennessee player any more than UCONN fans count Elena Delle Donne as a UCONN player. You ended up with Russell (1 or 2) and Reynolds (somewhere in the mid 40's) whereas ND ended up with Reimer (5), Allen (22), Nelson (42), and Thompson (70+). I'd say that's better than 1/2 kid and the 46 or so kid.

You were the one who pointed out ND's class of 2012 was better than Tennessee's (4 vs. 5). I agree. And for 2014, Tennessee has composite #13, 25 and 63, vs #2, 20, and 39 for ND.

Tennessee fans are giddy. They think they are NC bound this year, and if not this year, for sure next year. Some on your board have talked about 3 NC's in the "Russell era". I'm glad you all are so excited. But you have not outrecruited ND the past 3 years. Not once, unless you want to count a kid who will never make it to campus.

Reaction Score
Actually, Tnvolfan65, I was wrong. ND has had the better class in ALL of the last 3 years. You can count Tucker as a "Tennessee recruit", but the poor kid never made it to campus and I don't see her playing there any time soon. So I don't count her as a Tennessee player any more than UCONN fans count Elena Delle Donne as a UCONN player. You ended up with Russell (1 or 2) and Reynolds (somewhere in the mid 40's) whereas ND ended up with Reimer (5), Allen (22), Nelson (42), and Thompson (70+). I'd say that's better than 1/2 kid and the 46 or so kid.

You were the one who pointed out ND's class of 2012 was better than Tennessee's (4 vs. 5). I agree. And for 2014, Tennessee has composite #13, 25 and 63, vs #2, 20, and 39 for ND.

Tennessee fans are giddy. They think they are NC bound this year, and if not this year, for sure next year. Some on your board have talked about 3 NC's in the "Russell era". I'm glad you all are so excited. But you have not outrecruited ND the past 3 years. Not once, unless you want to count a kid who will never make it to campus.

New here so I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, but it seems like Eric is a little bitter that Westbeld picked Noter Dame so he decided to take a shot at Tennessee. If he really felt that Tennessee hasn't been recruiting that well and he was able to back it up then it made little since to bring Them up in the 1st place.

U

UCONNfan1

New here so I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, but it seems like Eric is a little bitter that Westbeld picked Noter Dame so he decided to take a shot at Tennessee. If he really felt that Tennessee hasn't been recruiting that well and he was able to back it up then it made little since to bring Them up in the 1st place.
Westbeld took UCONN off her list a while ago, or vice versa. I doubt anyone in Husky nation is bitter about that. Maybe if Wilson chooses SC, or when Delle Donne chose not to come to UCONN...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
New here so I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, but it seems like Eric is a little bitter that Westbeld picked Noter Dame so he decided to take a shot at Tennessee.
Nah, I don't he is bitter about that. We weren't expecting Westbeld anyway. She or UCONN had dropped off recruiting a few weeks ago.

And many of us on here do not need a reason to take a shot at TN. We do that for fun. :D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nah, I don't he is bitter about that. We weren't expecting Westbeld anyway. She or UCONN had dropped off recruiting a few weeks ago.

And many of us on here do not need a reason to take a shot at TN. We do that for fun. :D
Months ago.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Well there's weeks in months. :rolleyes:

Haven't been moved to post for a while, so I'll take the opportunity to note there are not months in a few weeks. :p

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score

I pointed out that ND's class in 2012 was ranked higher by ESPN, but I disagree with that now as I did then. You haven't said anything to convince me otherwise.

And yes, Tucker's ordeal has been well documented. Unlike EDD, she didn't decide to leave school on her own accord. Tennessee won her recruitment though. It remains to be seen if she will play again.

We can agree to disagree. I didn't agree with or understand the nature of your original post, but as you said it comes from a hatred of Tennessee. I can understand that.

U

UCONNfan1

I pointed out that ND's class in 2012 was ranked higher by ESPN, but I disagree with that now as I did then. You haven't said anything to convince me otherwise.

And yes, Tucker's ordeal has been well documented. Unlike EDD, she didn't decide to leave school on her own accord. Tennessee won her recruitment though. It remains to be seen if she will play again.

We can agree to disagree. I didn't agree with or understand the nature of your original post, but as you said it comes from a hatred of Tennessee. I can understand that.
Boy you sure do like playing fast and loose. Where did he say "hatred"? I read dislike several times in the posts. Maybe I missed it. Keep drinking that kool aid tho!

And what's wrong with pointing out that ND has gotten the better players the last 2-3 years? No shame in that. Tennessee fans want to continue to think they are at the top of the mountain, but they still have a big climb ahead of them and of course UCONN has far surpassed them, and at this point I'd say probably Duke and ND as well.

Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree.

Regardless of how you want to spin things tnvolfan65, the facts are that the LV's have not advanced to the Final Four for FIVE consecutive seasons, and overall have clearly underachieved during this span based on the relative talent they have had on their roster.

These are the facts of the case. And they are undisputed.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Rankings are meaningless as a measure of outcomes. They are at best like astrology wistful predictions of what might be. ND recruiting has proven to be better where it counts on the court of determination.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It's curious to me that coaching hasn't been mentioned in this 'recruits ranking' debate.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Haven't been moved to post for a while, so I'll take the opportunity to note there are not months in a few weeks. :p
Sure there are. A few, 10-15. When your as old as me, that's a few. :cool:

Reaction Score
Exactly, I agree with you. ND has not out recruited TN, just out performed them.
Exactly. I think I would rather have someone out recruit me and then outperform them. The bottom line is winning, isn't it???

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Whether it's the school, the campus, Muffet, asst coaches or whomever- the reality is ND has been getting quality recruits and coaching the heck out of them! Their offense has been like looking at a mirror image of UConn. U know, ND is probably as much of a threat to us as anyone this year or more than anyone, they have undisputed quality young talent, and a terrific nucleus returning.
Gary Blair A& M teams perform at a much higher level at the end of the season than early season. Jeff Walz, Kentucky,Green Bay And Marist coaches all seam to get more out of their teams. Tenn hasn't lately. And maybe it is due to the emotional nature of the situation there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom