West Coast road trip | Page 2 | The Boneyard

West Coast road trip

Reaction Score
I just got UCLA vs UCONN tickets... woo hoo... Section 116 Row 2 seats 17 and 18. Stop by and say hello to me and the wife. I'll be the older man with the UCONN hat and... huh... oh yeah.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Heading South on Route 1, from the Bay Area down to San Diego, with a fabulous view of the Pacific, should be on everyone's bucket list. But you'll want to stop at so many places--Cannery Row, Monterey, et al--you'll need at least a week to do it right. And if you can toss in a hoop game, or two, even better.

Where in the world can you rent a car for $19 a day? Does that include all the taxes and add ons? Does it have 4 wheels?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Pebble18_edited.jpg
"I've been to Pebble Beach for 3 U.S. Opens and hope to go back in 2019. I recently made plans to go to the AT&T tourney there next February. It feels like home there."

We stopped at pebble Beach last month. Lots of construction going on. At $1200 plus for the two of us to play we opted out - although the course was most definitely not crowded. Had a great lunch overlooking the putting green and the 1st tee. I was also surprised by how many duffers played. I watched one guy take 4 shots to make the dogleg on the 1st hole.

While we didn't get to play, I did get to pee in the clubhouse men's room (see the thread re lasix) so I can cross that off my bucket list.

For those not familiar with the course the photo is of the cypress guarding the 18th green.

Reaction Score
View attachment 24219 "I've been to Pebble Beach for 3 U.S. Opens and hope to go back in 2019. I recently made plans to go to the AT&T tourney there next February. It feels like home there."

We stopped at pebble Beach last month. Lots of construction going on. At $1200 plus for the two of us to play we opted out - although the course was most definitely not crowded. Had a great lunch overlooking the putting green and the 1st tee. I was also surprised by how many duffers played. I watched one guy take 4 shots to make the dogleg on the 1st hole.

While we didn't get to play, I did get to pee in the clubhouse men's room (see the thread re lasix) so I can cross that off my bucket list.

For those not familiar with the course the photo is of the cypress guarding the 18th green.
I had a chance to play Pebble Beach in the early 80's for like a hundred dollars but I would have had to rent clubs so I didn't ... I had a similar opportunity to play St Andrews when my ship visited Edinburgh just a year earlier and turned that down ..... what a dweeb

Reaction Score
View attachment 24219 "I've been to Pebble Beach for 3 U.S. Opens and hope to go back in 2019. I recently made plans to go to the AT&T tourney there next February. It feels like home there."

Glad I played it for $47 in 1979. I could still play then, but found a lack of local knowledge was enough to bury me. Broke 100, but I was a decent 9-handicap then. ;^)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Glad I played it for $47 in 1979. I could still play then, but found a lack of local knowledge was enough to bury me. Broke 100, but I was a decent 9-handicap then. ;^)
Some pros this it's not an especially hard course unless set up for U.S. Open conditions. But when the wind blows, 5" rough isn't needed.

Reaction Score
I envy those of you who will take the West Coast trip this year. I'm sure that if we still lived in AZ we would go to the Reno and LA games, at least. But now that we're in FL, it's an expensive cross-country jaunt. We'll have to content ourselves with the Cetral Florida and South Florida games.

Reaction Score
I envy those of you who will take the West Coast trip this year. I'm sure that if we still lived in AZ we would go to the Reno and LA games, at least. But now that we're in FL, it's an expensive cross-country jaunt. We'll have to content ourselves with the Cetral Florida and South Florida games.
Tom... Tom... Tom... I am a fan on the Left Coast... sigh... What a great opportunity to attend all 3 games. I'm loving it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I live in Las Vegas. Round trip to Los Angeles is under $100. That I'll do. Plane to Portland is $119, Hotel for 3 nights is$197. Car for drive to University is $23 a day. Plane to Reno is $129. Hotel for 2 nights is $38. Car is $19 a day. Plane back to Las Vegas is $49. Guess who is going to all 3 games (with wife). Yah Hoo! See you there.
But seeing UCONN in person.....priceless.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I just got UCLA vs UCONN tickets... woo hoo... Section 116 Row 2 seats 17 and 18. Stop by and say hello to me and the wife. I'll be the older man with the UCONN hat and... huh... oh yeah.
How did you get tickets already? their web site does not say single game tickets are on sale yet...

Reaction Score
How did you get tickets already? their web site does not say single game tickets are on sale yet...
There are 3 sites that have available tickets. I wanted great tickets; so, I went to Stubhub. Tickets are already in hand. The gas tank is full. I'm ready to go. (Are we there yet?)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've already purchased all flights, car rentals, and hotels. As Jackie Gleason would say, "And away we go!".
I rented a car at SFO last month. Full size for a week came to around $32 a day. Not bad until you add in the $238.04 for various fees and taxes. :mad: A rental in Denver the previous month had similar add ons that were about 75% of the rental charge.

Also, for anyone making the trip south along the coast be aware that the Golden Gate bridge toll is electronic only. No cash. Our rental was equipped with EZ pass (or an equivalent) so it wasn't a big deal, until we read the fine print in the rental agreement. The rental car company charges not only the toll but a usage fee for using the service. Again, not a big deal, except they charge the fee daily for the remainder of the rental period whether you use it or not. That really Hurts!

A photo of the line to pick up our "confirmed/reserved" rental at SFO - they had no cars!

20170701_182614_edited.jpg
20170701_182614_edited.jpg

Reaction Score
I thought everyone knew that the best way to travel from Seattle to SoCal is on a bicycle:) Did it in 1987 after graduating from UNH and the Seattle to San Diego trip was 1712 miles and I did it in a leisurely 17 days. Reading all the great posts on this thread and seeing the amazing pix are bringing back fabulous memories!!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I thought everyone knew that the best way to travel from Seattle to SoCal is on a bicycle

Did you start out riding the STP (Seattle To Portland) and then just kept going?

Reaction Score
Tom... Tom... Tom... I am a fan on the Left Coast... sigh... What a great opportunity to attend all 3 games. I'm loving it.
I know what it's like with rare games out West. We went the record-setting year when they won at Pacific and lost at Stanford. Of course, last year we got three local games, FSU, UCF and USF, so we could not complain, but just two this year. We'll be in great shape next year, when the Final Four is in Tampa.

Reaction Score
To Eric- UCLA started selling single game tickets on Aug. 16. I called the UCLA central ticket office on Thurs. and bought 2 tickets. It should be a great game.

Reaction Score
With us playing in the Phil Knight Classic on 11/25, I'm actually contemplating a little west coast trip. Has a date been set for our game at UCLA?

Would it be best for me to fly to Portland, rent a car and drive to LA and then fly home out of LAX? Is there a train I could take? Can any of my west coast friends help me out?

UC...

From CT here, but now with 30 years in Carmel, CA, driving those routes a few times a year here is my recommendation:

1. Fly to LA for the 11/21 UCLA game, rent a car.

2a. 11/22 Drive to Carmel, CA (6 hours max), but you cannot use Hwy 1 because of massive road-slides, so go Hwy 101, even though Rt 5 and Rt 46 over to Rt 101 is faster. Hwy 101 up the valley is very pretty. To save an hour, use Rt 5 to 46 to 101. Eat at Rocky Point Restaurant, down Hwy 1 about 12 miles. Or Il Fornaio in Carmel central (Il Fornaio - Carmel). You can stay at the Pine Inn where Il Fornaio is (Carmel-by-the-Sea Hotels | Pine Inn | Carmel-by-the-Sea CA).

2b. 11/22 Drive instead from LA to San Fran (8 hours) using Rt 5, then 580 to 680 to 80. Stay downtown near Fisherman's wharf and enjoy the day and food there.

3. After breakfast in San Fran, 11/23 drive to Mt Shasta (4 hours), stay anywhere there, and enjoy the food, drive up the Mt. Shasta Road for the sunset, 7 miles, and park and eat up there @ 7,000'. In late afternoon when you arrive, first stop at Stewart Mineral Springs for a bath (Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat), getting ready for dinner and Mt. Shasta. The baths are private but you can sunbathe naked or not.

4. After breakfast 11/24 in Shasta, drive to Eugene, about 5-6 hours. Enjoy Eugene anywhere.

5a. 11/25 the game, and then fly home after a few days enjoying Oregon spots mentioned in other posts.

5b. Enjoy Eugene, then on 11/27 drive down to Nevada for the next game on the 28th. Reno has great food!

Alternative:

Fly to Columbus, OH and see UCONN @ Stanford game on 11/12. This should be one of the best games of the year!

Then fly to San Fran & contact me and I'll fill in the days until 11/21 @ UCLA. You will enjoy much more of California that way!

C

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
CMC'72--The women are playing Eugene for the PK80, the men are in Portland.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To Eric- UCLA started selling single game tickets on Aug. 16. I called the UCLA central ticket office on Thurs. and bought 2 tickets. It should be a great game.

Me too. I called the UCLA ticket office (not a broker), bought two general admission tickets for $8 a piece which are on the next level. If you want to sit with Joepa, you have to call a broker, and be prepared to dig D-E-E-P down in your wallet. The prices they are charging for those "between the basket" seats, a row or two from the floor are high. Since UConn only comes west once every 3 or so years, if you're a real fan, you don't mind paying extra for a good seat.

The wife and I will enjoy the game from our second level seats proudly attired in our UConn gear. Admittedly though, we'd enjoy the game a lot more if we were sitting next to Joepa. UCLA should keep it interesting for 2 to 2 and a half quarters. I expect UConn to take full control of the game by the end of the third quarter.

UCLA will be good this year, but not good enough to seriously challenge UConn. They are in for a serious dog fight in the Pac 12 this year. Stanford is always tough. Now Oregon (Sabrina Ionescu) and Oregon State have become formidable lately. Cal and Arizona State (Courtney Ekmark) should not be over looked either. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I rented a car at SFO last month. Full size for a week came to around $32 a day. Not bad until you add in the $238.04 for various fees and taxes. :mad: A rental in Denver the previous month had similar add ons that were about 75% of the rental charge.

Also, for anyone making the trip south along the coast be aware that the Golden Gate bridge toll is electronic only. No cash. Our rental was equipped with EZ pass (or an equivalent) so it wasn't a big deal, until we read the fine print in the rental agreement. The rental car company charges not only the toll but a usage fee for using the service. Again, not a big deal, except they charge the fee daily for the remainder of the rental period whether you use it or not. That really Hurts!

A photo of the line to pick up our "confirmed/reserved" rental at SFO - they had no cars!

View attachment 24234 View attachment 24234

Next time try Uber or Lyft. If you don't like it, you can always rent a car later that day. They can pick you up from the airport (in California), don't know about other states. It's much cheaper, and you won't have to wait in line, and end up with a car you didn't ask for, or want. They provide door to door service. You never have to pay to park, or look for a parking space.

It's much cheaper than renting a car, especially if you're only going to need it for a day or two around town. I know you've heard some scary stories about people using Lyft and Uber. Both companies have some very good and responsible drivers. My daughter was a Lyft driver for a time. She never had any incidents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom