West Coast road trip | The Boneyard

West Coast road trip

Reaction Score
With us playing in the Phil Knight Classic on 11/25, I'm actually contemplating a little west coast trip. Has a date been set for our game at UCLA?

Would it be best for me to fly to Portland, rent a car and drive to LA and then fly home out of LAX? Is there a train I could take? Can any of my west coast friends help me out?

Reaction Score
I believe they are playing on Tuesday, Nov 21st at UCLA
Then Nov 25th , then the following Tuesday in Reno

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
The bride and I are seriously thinking about going to Oregon and onto Reno for Gabby's homecoming... Just love the state of Oregon, such a gorgeous area...

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Literally just got off the plane from a long weekend trip to Portland. Wine tastings, brewerys (Great Notion, DeGarde, Cascade), lots of coffee, Voodoo donuts, hiking up waterfalls in the gorge and lots of rain. Food was pretty darn good too. Had a great time.

Driving down to LA would be a fairly long trip - we went due west to the coast from Portland and that was an hour and 1/2 without stops - you will stop along the way! Then south would probably take you a couple of days. Not sure about a train but there are so many great places to stop as you head south along the coast, not sure why you'd train it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have done the Seattle to LA trip by car and it is beautiful, but long! Portland to LA is almost 1000 miles so maybe 15 hours driving. There is Amtrak down the coast but of course the cheapest and fastest is to fly.
When I drove the coast I was stopping along the way and took two nights north from SF and 1 night coming south again. The coastal route in Cal is spectacular but slower. The inland route is still pretty nice. And the train is supposed to be a pretty scenic route as well.

Reaction Score
I live in Las Vegas. Round trip to Los Angeles is under $100. That I'll do. Plane to Portland is $119, Hotel for 3 nights is$197. Car for drive to University is $23 a day. Plane to Reno is $129. Hotel for 2 nights is $38. Car is $19 a day. Plane back to Las Vegas is $49. Guess who is going to all 3 games (with wife). Yah Hoo! See you there.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't know about the train route from Portland to LA. I-5 is mostly fairly boring. Driving down the coast is excellent, would highly recommend. Definitely take your time and explore and poke around as you go.

Reaction Score
There is an AMTRAK route along the coast that hits all the college towns ......I think it has been very profitable over many years.

AMTRAK.com - Coast Starlight

A Grand West Coast Train Adventure
En route daily between Los Angeles and Seattle, the Coast Starlight train passes through Santa Barbara, the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento and Portland. Widely regarded as one of the most spectacular of all train routes, the Coast Starlight links the greatest cities on the West Coast.

The scenery along the Coast Starlight route is unsurpassed. The dramatic snow-covered peaks of the Cascade Range and Mount Shasta, lush forests, fertile valleys and long stretches of Pacific Ocean shoreline provide a stunning backdrop for your journey.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I live in Las Vegas. Round trip to Los Angeles is under $100. That I'll do. Plane to Portland is $119, Hotel for 3 nights is$197. Car for drive to University is $23 a day. Plane to Reno is $129. Hotel for 2 nights is $38. Car is $19 a day. Plane back to Las Vegas is $49. Guess who is going to all 3 games (with wife). Yah Hoo! See you there.
Just curious, are you pricing those costs as of todays prices/rates? The trip is a few days before Thanksgiving to a few days after, which normally do not get all of the discounts that are out there then if you go in non peak times.

Reaction Score
Just curious, are you pricing those costs as of todays prices/rates? The trip is a few days before Thanksgiving to a few days after, which normally do not get all of the discounts that are out there then if you go in non peak times.
I've already purchased all flights, car rentals, and hotels. As Jackie Gleason would say, "And away we go!".

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Literally just got off the plane from a long weekend trip to Portland. Wine tastings, brewerys (Great Notion, DeGarde, Cascade), lots of coffee, Voodoo donuts, hiking up waterfalls in the gorge and lots of rain. Food was pretty darn good too. Had a great time.

Driving down to LA would be a fairly long trip - we went due west to the coast from Portland and that was an hour and 1/2 without stops - you will stop along the way! Then south would probably take you a couple of days. Not sure about a train but there are so many great places to stop as you head south along the coast, not sure why you'd train it.
Heading South on Route 1, from the Bay Area down to San Diego, with a fabulous view of the Pacific, should be on everyone's bucket list. But you'll want to stop at so many places--Cannery Row, Monterey, et al--you'll need at least a week to do it right. And if you can toss in a hoop game, or two, even better.

Reaction Score
Heading South on Route 1, from the Bay Area down to San Diego, with a fabulous view of the Pacific, should be on everyone's bucket list. But you'll want to stop at so many places--Cannery Row, Monterey, et al--you'll need at least a week to do it right. And if you can toss in a hoop game, or two, even better.
I would consider Amtrak from Portland to San Fran, and the driving down Route 1 (less nerve wracking heading north, but you got to do it )!
On another very important note, in Portland you have to go to Blue Star Donuts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I expect to be at the UCLA game and may go up to Eugene. The Reno date doesn't work for me.

Speaking of the drive along Route 1, Pacific Grove is one of my favorite places.

purple-ice-plant-blossoms-and-ocean-pacific-grove-california-BDR0WD.jpg

Reaction Score
Amazing territory up that way. When I lived in San Francisco, my wife and I drove up to Oregon to Crater Lake. A beautiful sight by the way. Lots to see along the way, Redwoods, a beautiful coast, lots of vineyards, beautiful sights. But it is a long, long drive all the way down to LA. Even from SF to LA is a hike. Done it a few times. For us East Coasters, it's like, a couple of states, big deal. Well worth it, but be prepared.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
If you are into craft beer and wine, make the drive. You have the Willamette Valley 45 minutes outside of Portland, and breweries down the coast (De Garde in Tillamook, Penguin in Cape Kiwanda and then as you head down the coast, sonoma, napa North coast cali, Russian River Brewco in Santa Rosa and so many others. Took the attached at Cape Kiwanda just south of DeGarde brewing in Tillamook

Attachments

• IMG_20170511_200346.jpg
    IMG_20170511_200346.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 67

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Don't forget to stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory (do you have Tillamook Cheese on the East Coast?) for cheese and/or ice cream.

I love the Oregon Coast! You can easily spend a week tootling along 101. Haven't spent nearly as much time on the California Coast, but way more miles of it and plenty to do there, too.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's a beautiful picture Milford. I did a road trip up the Cali coast starting from San Luis Obispo and heading north. A few of my favorite places were Montana de Oro State Park, Pt. Reyes, Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, and the Lost Coast (pain in the butt to get to though, a fair bit of driving off the highway for that last one). I've passed thru Crescent City several times, I believe the northern most outpost on the California coast. Nice little town.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Don't forget to stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory (do you have Tillamook Cheese on the East Coast?) for cheese and/or ice cream.

I love the Oregon Coast! You can easily spend a week tootling along 101. Haven't spent nearly as much time on the California Coast, but way more miles of it and plenty to do there, too.
I didn't recommend the Cheese factory since their visitor center was under construction so it is presently just a giant gift shop with little of interest. Only disappointing part of the trip! The air museum nearby is funky but the Blimp hanger its in is worth the visit, and De Garde is a block from that. (if you weren't aware De Garde is a new brewco with VERY limited production and distribution and is currently producing some of the top rated beers in the country). I keep mentioning it since so many yarders are beer fixated. My favorite brewery was Great Notion which is right next to Pine State Biscuits which is also worth stopping in.

Home

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's a beautiful picture Milford. I did a road trip up the Cali coast starting from San Luis Obispo and heading north. A few of my favorite places were Montana de Oro State Park, Pt. Reyes, Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, and the Lost Coast (pain in the butt to get to though, a fair bit of driving off the highway for that last one). I've passed thru Crescent City several times, I believe the northern most outpost on the California coast. Nice little town.
I've been to Pebble Beach for 3 U.S. Opens and hope to go back in 2019. I recently made plans to go to the AT&T tourney there next February. It feels like home there.

Reaction Score
I have done the Seattle to LA trip by car and it is beautiful, but long! Portland to LA is almost 1000 miles so maybe 15 hours driving. There is Amtrak down the coast but of course the cheapest and fastest is to fly.
When I drove the coast I was stopping along the way and took two nights north from SF and 1 night coming south again. The coastal route in Cal is spectacular but slower. The inland route is still pretty nice. And the train is supposed to be a pretty scenic route as well.

It appears you are saying : FLY--if you want fast DRIVE--to enjoy ---
Outside of Cities---North South East West---this is a beautiful country--if you can take the time Enjoy it.
I made the trip from CT to Melbourne, Fla 2 or 3 times a month---for a year---Drove it---OKLA, ARK, S.F.,
Seattle, San Antone, Houston Flight Center, Chicago---the first 10 were super fun rides at each location.
I prefer driving to flying--my million mile time was enough--the fun of flying is long lost.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Be aware, CA 1 is closed south of Carmel by the Sea due to landslides taking out an extensive section of the road / bridge. Since the repairs are done by Caltrans, it's unknown when it will be repaired.

Reaction Score
With us playing in the Phil Knight Classic on 11/25, I'm actually contemplating a little west coast trip. Has a date been set for our game at UCLA?

Would it be best for me to fly to Portland, rent a car and drive to LA and then fly home out of LAX? Is there a train I could take? Can any of my west coast friends help me out?
Unless you plan to spend a leisurely number of days driving down the California coast ( a fantastic experience ), it takes forever to drive from Portland to LA. Otherwise, I would fly from Portland to LA, and then rent a car for UCLA game, and a stay in LA. LAX will give you endless choices for flights back east.

Reaction Score
I checked .... it is 30 hours from LA to Portland. get a Superliner bedroom and all your needs are taken care of. Each car has a porter. there are reserved seating for meals etc. The Coast Starlight is a daily train. So you can make it a multicity trip and get off along the way, spend the night and then reboard the next day to continue. Then you can take the train from Portland to Sacramento, and catch either the bus or train to go on to Reno. Fly home from Reno or take the train on to Denver, spend a couple of days at the Brown Palace Hotel and then go home.

Reaction Score
I took the Amtrak Coast Star Light from San Francisco to Seattle about ten years ago within a stop in Portland for a day. I ended up never even sitting in my seat because I grabbed a seat in the observation car where seats face directly out the window and stayed put. I had power for my computer and the snack store was on the 1st floor of the same observation car for food so I was set to sit and enjoy the views that passed by. It isn't fast by any means so you have to be prepared to be on a train for 24 hours.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom