West Coast road trip | Page 3 | The Boneyard

West Coast road trip

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm really curious about what the attendance at the UCLA game will be. LA sports fans tend towards fickle and apathetic. I glanced at attendance for last year, rarely topped 2000. They didn't have any big name OOC opponents. Maybe the fans will show up to see a top program like UConn. Even the men's team rarely fills the arena for games. I'm pretty sure the game in Eugene will be well attended.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Next time try Uber or Lyft. If you don't like it, you can always rent a car later that day. They can pick you up from the airport (in California), don't know about other states. It's much cheaper, and you won't have to wait in line, and end up with a car you didn't ask for, or want. They provide door to door service. You never have to pay to park, or look for a parking space.

It's much cheaper than renting a car, especially if you're only going to need it for a day or two around town. I know you've heard some scary stories about people using Lyft and Uber. Both companies have some very good and responsible drivers. My daughter was a Lyft driver for a time. She never had any incidents.

We were on a 9 day vacation, on our way to Napa and then Monterey. I doubt if Uber would have covered our transportation needs. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We were on a 9 day vacation, on our way to Napa and then Monterey. I doubt if Uber would have covered our transportation needs. :)

You're right. My suggestion was only for those staying within a municipality, not for travel between distant destinations. For the type of traveling you're doing, a rental car is the order of the day.

When you visit Napa (if you're a wine connoisseur), you'll be in heaven. Monterey has one of the most beautiful coast lines on the west coast. Enjoy your trip. :)

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Me too. I called the UCLA ticket office (not a broker), bought two general admission tickets for $8 a piece which are on the next level. If you want to sit with Joepa, you have to call a broker, and be prepared to dig D-E-E-P down in your wallet. The prices they are charging for those "between the basket" seats, a row or two from the floor are high. Since UConn only comes west once every 3 or so years, if you're a real fan, you don't mind paying extra for a good seat.

The wife and I will enjoy the game from our second level seats proudly attired in our UConn gear. Admittedly though, we'd enjoy the game a lot more if we were sitting next to Joepa. UCLA should keep it interesting for 2 to 2 and a half quarters. I expect UConn to take full control of the game by the end of the third quarter.

UCLA will be good this year, but not good enough to seriously challenge UConn. They are in for a serious dog fight in the Pac 12 this year. Stanford is always tough. Now Oregon (Sabrina Ionescu) and Oregon State have become formidable lately. Cal and Arizona State (Courtney Ekmark) should not be over looked either. :)
I'm disappointed there wasn't better coordination among UConn backers so we could all sit together. I warned you this would happen if we let our entertainment coordinator Julie McCoy join the Love Boat.

Reaction Score
UC...

Alternative:

Fly to San Fran and see UCONN @ Stanford game on 11/12. This should be one of the best games of the year. (I'll be there)!

Then contact me and I'll fill in the days until 11/21 @ UCLA. You will enjoy much more of California that way!

C

You may find the lights out .... UConn is playing Stanford in Columbus OH

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed there wasn't better coordination among UConn backers so we could all sit together. I warned you this would happen if we let our entertainment coordinator Julie McCoy join the Love Boat.

When UConn came west in November of 2014 for games against UC Davis and Stanford, the UConn fans (there were many) were not in a particular section (which would have been preferred). In both venues, I (dressed to the nines in my UConn gear) was surrounded by hostiles. I would have preferred to be seated among my fellow UConn Husky support group. We were spread out all over the arena those two nights.

There was a small contingent of UConn fans behind the UConn bench on he second level (where I wanted to be) in Maples Pavilion. They have to have gotten those seats through UConn. When I called the Stanford ticket office, I specifically told the agent I was a UConn fan, and I wanted to sit with other UConn fans. That maybe why she had the last laugh, and put me in the middle of a sea of red. There was not a UConn fan within 20 yards of our seats.

The Cardinal fans around us were nice as it were, but it got real ugly, loud and crazy right after the final horn sounded. Pandemonium and euphoria broke out. Cardinal fans were jumping up and down and hugging each other like they had just won the national championship. It was a l-o-n-g walk back to the car. :confused: For those of you coming from Connecticut, try and get your tickets through the UConn ticket office if possible.

I'm going to enjoy the UCLA game regardless of my seat location because I'll be watching the game in person. Something fans out of state (Connecticut) don't get to do that often unless you live near a university that UConn plays on a regular basis. Those of you that live locally, can go to a game anytime you wish. If I lived within a 100 miles of Storrs, I'd be a season ticket holder every year. You guys are lucky. You get to watch the best women's college basketball team in the country in person anytime time you wish.

Those of us "out of towners" have to settle for watching them on TV. As you know, watching a game on TV versus in person is not the same. I'd much rather be in the stands sitting among my fellow Husky fans, eating hotdogs & popcorn and washing it all down with a few cold ones. Now THAT"S living!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Not sure if I'm mistaken but I don't think they sell beer at the women's guy.

Reaction Score
When UConn came west in November of 2014 for games against UC Davis and Stanford, the UConn fans (there were many) were not in a particular section (which would have been preferred). In both venues, I (dressed to the nines in my UConn gear) was surrounded by hostiles. I would have preferred to be seated among my fellow UConn Husky support group. We were spread out all over the arena those two nights.

There was a small contingent of UConn fans behind the UConn bench on he second level (where I wanted to be) in Maples Pavilion. They have to have gotten those seats through UConn. When I called the Stanford ticket office, I specifically told the agent I was a UConn fan, and I wanted to sit with other UConn fans. That maybe why she had the last laugh, and put me in the middle of a sea of red. There was not a UConn fan within 20 yards of our seats.

The Cardinal fans around us were nice as it were, but it got real ugly, loud and crazy right after the final horn sounded. Pandemonium and euphoria broke out. Cardinal fans were jumping up and down and hugging each other like they had just won the national championship. It was a l-o-n-g walk back to the car. :confused: For those of you coming from Connecticut, try and get your tickets through the UConn ticket office if possible.

I'm going to enjoy the UCLA game regardless of my seat location because I'll be watching the game in person. Something fans out of state (Connecticut) don't get to do that often unless you live near a university that UConn plays on a regular basis. Those of you that live locally, can go to a game anytime you wish. If I lived within a 100 miles of Storrs, I'd be a season ticket holder every year. You guys are lucky. You get to watch the best women's college basketball team in the country in person anytime time you wish.

Those of us "out of towners" have to settle for watching them on TV. As you know, watching a game on TV versus in person is not the same. I'd much rather be in the stands sitting among my fellow Husky fans, eating hotdogs & popcorn and washing it all down with a few cold ones. Now THAT"S living!!! :)

Boy, do we remember that long walk back to the car. That said, we also remember the wonderful reception we got in Davis, where an unexpectedly spunky team was fun to watch, the fans were decent, and their band serenaded us after the game.

Reaction Score
"While we didn't get to play, I did get to pee in the clubhouse men's room (see the thread re lasix) so I can cross that off my bucket list."

We stopped there around 2000, the cost was around 225.00 each, plus a tip of 100.00 ? and there was a 10 day waiting list; I did the same thing you did, I peed in the mens room!. We did walk a few holes, off on the side of the fairways, the players were really bad and didn't even notice us, and the mist from the ocean did start rolling in. We walked in from the 18th hole, no course officials bothered us. Plenty of other things to do there for less money.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I bought 2 tickets in Section 113 from Ticketmaster. The seats were about $10-12 each and the fees were $6-8 each. Prices for better seats were running $36-150 on StubHub and as high as $300 elsewhere. One problem for this game is that the upper deck is not sold for women's games, so the supply is artificially limited.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm really curious about what the attendance at the UCLA game will be. LA sports fans tend towards fickle and apathetic. I glanced at attendance for last year, rarely topped 2000. They didn't have any big name OOC opponents. Maybe the fans will show up to see a top program like UConn. Even the men's team rarely fills the arena for games. I'm pretty sure the game in Eugene will be well attended.
It looks as if they don't sell tix for the upper level for WCBB.

Reaction Score
Some pros this it's not an especially hard course unless set up for U.S. Open conditions. But when the wind blows, 5" rough isn't needed.
#1. They had no practice facilities then. A bucket of balls after 3 days of driving would have been nice.
#2. Perfect day in July. A 10. No wind, no crowds. Played as a 2-some, with a spectator for the ride.
#3. Lots of blind/placement shots. Absolutely needed local knowledge. The greens were much more treacherous than it looks on tv now. Had a few 20' breaks.
#4. If I could have played 36, I could have shot my handicap on the second round.
#5. Would love to play it again with the changes since then.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
#1. They had no practice facilities then. A bucket of balls after 3 days of driving would have been nice.
#2. Perfect day in July. A 10. No wind, no crowds. Played as a 2-some, with a spectator for the ride.
#3. Lots of blind/placement shots. Absolutely needed local knowledge. The greens were much more treacherous than it looks on tv now. Had a few 20' breaks.
#4. If I could have played 36, I could have shot my handicap on the second round.
#5. Would love to play it again with the changes since then.
Everything breaks toward the ocean. ;)

As I recall, the tee shots on 8, 9, 10, and 11 are blind. Probably others too.

Carnac

Reaction Score

As you well know, the UConn women travel very well where ever they go, while also bringing a small contingent of Connecticut based fans that travel with them. UConn is usually the biggest game on their opponent's schedule that year (any year). There are more UConn women BB fans in the Golden State than you might think. When I was waiting in line for the doors to open at Maples Pavilion (Stanford), I was talking with a group of UConn fans (we were all proudly wearing our UConn gear). We were all excited about the rare opportunity to watch UConn IN PERSON. Believe it or not, there were a few UConn fans there that had never heard of the BONEYARD ?!? :eek: Needless to say, I enlightened them.

There were fans from all over the state. Some came from as far away as San Diego, and Palm Springs. Some were local (the bay area - San Francisco/Oakland & Sacramento). I would imagine that a good number of them will make the trip to Westwwod.

A trip to L.A. for the weekend can be fun. Lots of things to do there. There are 3 airports to serve you........LAX, Long Beach and Burbank. There will be a lot of WCBB fans at Pauly Pavilion for this game. Get there early. Traffic on the west bound 10 freeway, leaving downtown L.A. can be very slow. The traffic in Westwood, especially around the campus can can also be heavy, even on weekends. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I just got UCLA vs UCONN tickets... woo hoo... Section 116 Row 2 seats 17 and 18. Stop by and say hello to me and the wife. I'll be the older man with the UCONN hat and... huh... oh yeah.
I was only able to get General admission seats. I am planning to buy scalper tickets on site, if available.

Reaction Score
Everything breaks toward the ocean. ;)

As I recall, the tee shots on 8, 9, 10, and 11 are blind. Probably others too.
10 and 11 are very long par 4's along the ocean.,,,if the wind is blowing that are a bear...however, they are not really blind shots as they are straight....8 is the hole with an up the hill blind tee shot that sets up what many call the greatest second shot in golf, often a 170-200 yd shot over a gorge to a well defended green..11 is a short uphill par 4 with a slight dogleg and after being on the ocean for the last 6 hole seems like a disappointment...probably TMI but i could go on and on about Pebble( and Cypress, Spyglass and MPCC)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom