Wes Bialosuknia and his All Stars | The Boneyard

Wes Bialosuknia and his All Stars

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I found this poster at a tag sale in Wethersfield today. Couldn't leave this bit of UConn related history behind. It's from about 4 months before I was born. I don't recall ever hearing about Wes having some kind of traveling team. Anyone have an info on it? Not finding anything on Google.

Attachments

• DSCN0495.JPG
    DSCN0495.JPG
    639.7 KB · Views: 453
Reaction Score
I found this poster at a tag sale in Wethersfield today. Couldn't leave this bit of UConn related history behind. It's from about 4 months before I was born. I don't recall ever hearing about Wes having some kind of traveling team. Anyone have an info on it? Not finding anything on Google.

Very cool, used to go to those with my dad. For me as good as going to a C’s game.... actually better.

Reaction Score
Don't remember Wes having a team but his opponent, East Hartford Explorers were a pro team around for years. Wes went on to play for another local pro team : the Hartford Caps.
Great find!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The Explorers played a lot of teams like this in the 60's.
A lot of college stars had all star teams - I remember Wes doing this, Calvin Murphy, Art Stepheson did it and there were several others
Great memories
Thanks for sharing

Reaction Score
Don't remember Wes having a team but his opponent, East Hartford Explorers were a pro team around for years. Wes went on to play for another local pro team : the Hartford Caps.
Great find!

My brother played for a Meriden team called the Travelers in the mid 70's and played against the East Hartford Explorers, good league some really good players. Holowaty was an animal still and they had other ex-UConn and ECSC players who my brother knew because he played both hoops and baseball at Eastern. I believe I remember one of the Switchenko brothers as well as Willie Reed also on these teams, Windham HS guys.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wes had an all star team after his senior season finished. He went on to play in the old ABA. A great shooter.
Wes was a classmate of mine. I knew him slightly, we dated girls from the same dorm. As pure a deadly long range shooter and an automatic foul shooter. On his frosh team he was something crazy like 98 or 99 of 101. Bill Holowaty was in the same class and was possibly Wes’s shooting equal on the freshman team that also included Tom Penders and 3 or 4 other very good players. Best entering class until the Calhoun era.

Reaction Score
Interesting references of both Calvin and Wes in this thread. I was unaware of the all-star stuff.

I have many memories of my friend and classmate Calvin Murphy growing up in Norwalk (rich in BB in those days-stars at all 3 schools Nwlk, McMahon, Central Catholic). Calvin was an awesome athlete in every sport (not just basketball) and a funny affable person who was tough as nails.

As I transitioned to UConn in '66 I was pleasantly surprised to find out that basketball was alive and well at my new location with the amazing Wes Bialosuknia, Tom Penders, Darien's frosh Bobby Staak, Bill Corley and crew.

Reaction Score
Wes was a classmate of mine. I knew him slightly, we dated girls from the same dorm. As pure a deadly long range shooter and an automatic foul shooter. On his frosh team he was something crazy like 98 or 99 of 101. Bill Holowaty was in the same class and was possibly Wes’s shooting equal on the freshman team that also included Tom Penders and 3 or 4 other very good players. Best entering class until the Calhoun era.
Yes as a Fr in the fall of 64 the first team I saw play I think had those guys along with Toby, PJ Curran, Ron Rhubala, Spider H? First game was AIC with their center Jim Calhoun! Very good team and season

Reaction Score
Yes as a Fr in the fall of 64 the first team I saw play I think had those guys along with Toby, PJ Curran, Ron Rhubala, Spider H? First game was AIC with their center Jim Calhoun! Very good team and season
Hrubala came later. He was a soph in 68-69.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wasn’t Hrubal, he was much later. You are probably thinking of Ron Ritter , who I knew pretty well, a starting forward at 6’3” , good guy. His older brother Al was a starting guard when Ron was on the freshman team. Spider Hesfordc was the starter on that pone year when Wes and Toby were on the same team. Great team.

Reaction Score
I remember seeing Ernie d s all stars taking on an all star team from East Hartford and Doug Melody scoring close to 40 and Ernie d going for 50 plus. Not a lot of d!
How about this one: when I was about 8 or 9 the Boston Celtics with Bill Russell, the Jones boys, bill Sharman, Ramsey, luscatoff, possibly Heinson play the New England all stars led by Johnny Eagan and Topsy Delgobbo at my alma mater Platt High in Meriden. My dad was the treasurer of this fund raiser and was able to get all their autographs, which I have to this day.

Reaction Score
Wes and his stars came to West Hartford for a fund raiser playing against the Harlem Wizards, a Globetrotter knock-off. A couple of Wes’ guys were no-shows, I was recruited, before “game” Wes pulls me aside and tells me nicely and firmly to get the ball over half court and into his hands and then stay out of his way, it was fun, didn’t embarrass myself too much, he could really really play, scored like 50.

Reaction Score
I remember seeing Ernie d s all stars taking on an all star team from East Hartford and Doug Melody scoring close to 40 and Ernie d going for 50 plus. Not a lot of d!
How about this one: when I was about 8 or 9 the Boston Celtics with Bill Russell, the Jones boys, bill Sharman, Ramsey, luscatoff, possibly Heinson play the New England all stars led by Johnny Eagan and Topsy Delgobbo at my alma mater Platt High in Meriden. My dad was the treasurer of this fund raiser and was able to get all their autographs, which I have to this day.

A Platt Panther huh? When were you there?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Topsy Delgobbo - there's a name from the past - I remember my father and I went to Worcester to watch him and his post college team play a bunch of ex Celtics in the late 60s - Walt Dropo introduced him to us - didn't Topsy go to Holy Cross? Then I saw him play several times in East Hartford and other area gyms

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Topsy Delgobbo - there's a name from the past - I remember my father and I went to Worcester to watch him and his post college team play a bunch of ex Celtics in the late 60s - Walt Dropo introduced him to us - didn't Topsy go to Holy Cross? Then I saw him play several times in East Hartford and other area gyms

Didn't he go to Southern Connecticut?

I honestly really don't know anything about him, but one time I went to some athletic event at South Conn and he was either a speaker or an inductee or something. He played baseball as well?

Reaction Score
Didn't he go to Southern Connecticut?

I honestly really don't know anything about him, but one time I went to some athletic event at South Conn and he was either a speaker or an inductee or something. He played baseball as well?

Pretty sure he went to Southern and was a better baseball player, great athlete,

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Wes and his stars came to West Hartford for a fund raiser playing against the Harlem Wizards, a Globetrotter knock-off. A couple of Wes’ guys were no-shows, I was recruited, before “game” Wes pulls me aside and tells me nicely and firmly to get the ball over half court and into his hands and then stay out of his way, it was fun, didn’t embarrass myself too much, he could really really play, scored like 50.
UConn's own Bill Corley played for the Harlem Wizards for a few years. Died way too early.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Is anyone interested in this poster? I have no place for it and would like it to go to a good UConn home. No charge. It measures 12" x 16". I live in Cromwell and we could meet to do a hand off. First one to reply that they want it gets it. We can PM/Text from there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom