Well there is no doubt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Well there is no doubt

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Nobody is going to the NBA out of D3 chief lol
When I went to WCSU we had several NBA scouts at games following a kid that had no business playing division 3 ball. The kid messed up. I'd consider dropping down from div. 2 to div. 3 to play for Coach Calhoun as long as it was Competitive. It's not gonna go well if he's winning every game by fifty. It just won't look right.

Reaction Score
What's tuition at St. Joes like? Even with coach, it's got to be a tough sell to convince kids with very little pro prospects into paying their own way/taking on debt instead of taking a free D2 ride.

Reaction Score
When I went to WCSU we had several NBA scouts at games following a kid that had no business playing division 3 ball. The kid messed up. I'd consider dropping down from div. 2 to div. 3 to play for Coach Calhoun as long as it was Competitive. It's not gonna go well if he's winning every game by fifty. It just won't look right.
daquan brooks from westconn had tryouts with brooklyn nets so chief isn't as crazy as he sounds

Reaction Score
What's tuition at St. Joes like? Even with coach, it's got to be a tough sell to convince kids with very little pro prospects into paying their own way/taking on debt instead of taking a free D2 ride.
Tuition is about $36k. Add room/board, etc. nearly $54k

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Devean George was a D3 player who was drafted. Can’t think of any others. (Terry Porter? Or was that NAIA?)

But Calhoun was in Boston this weekend scouting prospects.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I look forward to someone bumping this thread in 18 months so we can laugh at the OP. Judging by the recent Vance bump, I think @intlzncster should be game.

wW1WxsGdsRjwaT2D_FSKbp8LnCJ9_RmmQ-guER623M_d-kOlGaqN_QGI_U3rt3DjEg=w300

NB: you're probably right.

NB 2: Middle finger censored for Tom

Reaction Score
other than the novelty of seeing HOF JC on the court again, St. Joe's program will not be worthy of the BY's attention

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Much like their football team, USJ’s MBB team has never lost a game.

Reaction Score
Daquan Brooks was very very good, but not close to an NBA player. I had to guard him for two years in college.
well yeah he was 5'10 lol most of the best d1 players aren't close to nba players. all i'm saying is a d3 5'10 point guard got nba looks

C

Chief00

I think Devean George was a D3 player who was drafted. Can’t think of any others. (Terry Porter? Or was that NAIA?)

But Calhoun was in Boston this weekend scouting prospects.

Confirmed.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
daquan brooks from westconn had tryouts with brooklyn nets so chief isn't as crazy as he sounds

Thanks for posting that. Daquan's uncle, Lonnie Brooks, also was a standout at WCSU and played at Bristol Central High School. Lonnie was a division 1 talent.
EJ Harrison also played at div. 3 WCSU.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that. Daquan's uncle, Lonnie Brooks, also was a standout at WCSU and played at Bristol Central High School. Lonnie was a division 1 talent.
EJ Harrison also played at div. 3 WCSU.

Lonnie Brooks was a very nice player in HS but was undersized for D1 if my memory serves me correctly. He’s that kids “uncle” was Lonnie that long ago?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I think it's like the way the Ivy League is for all its sports. You can still receive a scholarship based on need, if you can otherwise qualify for one academically. There have been some D3 schools that have gotten in trouble for bending the no athletic scholarships rule. Maybe whole teams were getting need based schollies and it looked suspect.

It's comforting to know that no matter what the level, there's cheating going on in all three levels of the NCAA! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
People probably don’t realize, but D3 is the most likely destination for marginal D1 level kids that don’t get a D1 offer. Unlike 20 years ago, there are very few D2 programs these days. Most schools upgraded or dropped to D3. As a result, there are many very good players in D3, and a significant number go overseas to play pro ball. As far as cost, D3 players get scholarships and grants based on academic criteria or need. I can tell you from personal experience, they will find any way to give you an academic scholarship they can if they want you there. You do not need to qualify for financial aid either, the offer shows up in the mail with no financial aid application even being completed in many cases.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Nobody is going to the NBA out of D3 chief lol
They very well could if they have high D1 athleticism and one of the best "NBA ready" coaches. D1 competition while very important doesn't necessarily make the NBA prospect. Superior athleticism, character and training (all aspects of coaching) can have a huge impact. And JC has all the contacts and reputation among scouts for having them take a look at what he is doing with them. They may just have to be more seasoned post graduation like Europe or D league.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Probably close to most of the Catholic schools in the Big East. Maybe they can upgrade to D1 and be asked to join!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom