Well there is no doubt | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Well there is no doubt

Reaction Score
If Calhoun is out recruiting for St Joe’s why is our broke arse athletic department paying him?
There is no question that Calhoun oversaw the greatest building job ever, not even a question. But he left and is responsible for forcing UConn to hire KO. He mandated that succession. If he’s getting paid he should have had some hand in what has transpired and what’s going on now. Supposedly he believes in KO’s ability to coach. He believed in Miller. Instead of coaching D3 if he wants to smell hardwood, he should be doing everything possible to help his protege and program from falling into an abyss.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is no question that Calhoun oversaw the greatest building job ever, not even a question. But he left and is responsible for forcing UConn to hire KO. He mandated that succession. If he’s getting paid he should have had some hand in what has transpired and what’s going on now. Supposedly he believes in KO’s ability to coach. He believed in Miller. Instead of coaching D3 if he wants to smell hardwood, he should be doing everything possible to help his protege and program from falling into an abyss.

He has a contract with the AD. Based on what I read in this thread he is potentially competing with UConn for players.

If true how can that stand?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It’s interesting, even after all that he has accomplished, there are Calhoun doubters.
Any kid he lands will be kids that just want to play for him. That campus has literally nothing to it but dorms and classrooms, plus a church and nuns, of course.

Reaction Score
Can't blame JC for KO. He made his best judgment regarding what he thought would best for UConn and his legacy. It just didn't turn out as expected. I do agree he ought to be back in there with sleeves rolled up, but maybe he just doesn't believe it's salvageable without an extended effort he just can't make. Unless he came in with full authority it wouldn't work.

Reaction Score
Can't blame JC for KO. He made his best judgment regarding what he thought would best for UConn and his legacy. It just didn't turn out as expected. I do agree he ought to be back in there with sleeves rolled up, but maybe he just doesn't believe it's salvageable without an extended effort he just can't make. Unless he came in with full authority it wouldn't work.
Exactly my take on it as well. There would seem to be an admission of the mistake, which seems a bit unjust given that JC gave KO all the keys needed including being an assistant for 2 years and in the system for many more.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Of course you can blame Calhoun for Ollie if it comes to that.

He hijacked the program to put his guy in place. If he crashes and burns he gets the blame.

Reaction Score

He hijacked the program to put his guy in place. If he crashes and burns he gets the blame.
Bingo! Calhoun let his ego overruled his judgement.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Most large schools have club sports. I would guess UConn has a club team for hoops. I'm sure it is D3 quality at least.

Reaction Score
Most large schools have club sports. I would guess UConn has a club team for hoops. I'm sure it is D3 quality at least.
I am UConn grad and I have never heard of anything called Club basketball there. I have heard of club sports at the University of Vermont for hockey but I have never heard of the school having a club basketball team.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I am UConn grad and I have never heard of anything called Club basketball there. I have heard of club sports at the University of Vermont for hockey but I have never heard of the school having a club basketball team.
Maybe it's a midwest thing. Kids will form a club team and travel to other schools for games or mini tourneys on the weekends. At U of Iowa I know they have club hockey, baseball and lacrosse. My friends son just got asked to play for the club bball Mich St. He had a bunch of D3 offers but wanted a big school experience. There are a number of schools out here that have full pads club football teams. I know Miami of Ohio has one.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bingo! Calhoun let his ego overruled his judgement.

It all goes back to Dean Smith. JC claimed Dean Smith (who did the same thing), often gave him advice, and he'd follow Smith's model when he retired.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Uconn offers many club sports such as lacrosse, softball, rugby, etc, but men's basketball is not one of them. There is a women's club team tho (started within the last 5 years or so).

C

Chief00

Except D3 doesn’t permit scholarships but other than that I’m sure you are right.

Please re-read the thread - I already laid it out -how he would do that without athletic scholarships.

Reaction Score
It all goes back to Dean Smith. JC claimed Dean Smith (who did the same thing), often gave him advice, and he'd follow Smith's model when he retired.
To be exact, he set it up so he retired a month before practice so his long-time assistant would take over. After a short tenure, the assistant was going to turn it over to a younger member of the tree. Roy just balked in 2000 and the AD panicked and got Doherty.

Reaction Score
D3 players get academic scholarships and grants. They get them because they are basketball players, not because they earned them academically.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
D3 players get academic scholarships and grants. They get them because they are basketball players, not because they earned them academically.
“Merit” scholarships, aka tuition discounts. The more they want you for whatever reason (e.g., grades, scores, diversity, sports, arts, etc.) the more they give you.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's a midwest thing. Kids will form a club team and travel to other schools for games or mini tourneys on the weekends. At U of Iowa I know they have club hockey, baseball and lacrosse. My friends son just got asked to play for the club bball Mich St. He had a bunch of D3 offers but wanted a big school experience. There are a number of schools out here that have full pads club football teams. I know Miami of Ohio has one.
There was a full pads club football team at Fairfield University right here in CT a few years back, but not sure if it's still active. There was a movement a few years ago for it to go D3 or D2, but the schools administration backed out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom