Welcome to Aubrey Griffin and Jordan Horston! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Welcome to Aubrey Griffin and Jordan Horston!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Actually I believe they are the opposite. Short and stout vs tall and thin. Vs normal 10 pin.

images

In the early sixties, ten pin lanes were just being built, and midnight bowling was all the rage. The old men, like my dad and uncles, belonged to duck pin leagues and there were several alleys in our little borough. We brats could make a little money setting pins as the duck pin lanes did not have pin setting machines. You had to move fast and hope the old farts weren't so drunk that they tossed the ball early. I do not think there are any duck pins lanes still operating in the town now. I do not pretend that those days were the "good old days" of popular sayings, but they were ours!

Reaction Score
those bowling balls were only like the size of softballs.........you could really do some damage if somebody got in the way after a few pops............

Reaction Score
I believe that in candle pin the dead wood is left on the alley. Never tries it but it was quite popular up in Mass.

In Norwich, my home town, there was a combo theater/bowling alley. The Yale theater had triple feature monster/sci fi movies on Sat afternoon for 20 cents and the Yale duck pin lanes had pin boys. 10 cents a string.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Now bowling ??? Maroons !!!!
I do not know about maroons. But the Boneyarders search for knowledge is unquenchable. We follow the peripatetic style of Aristotle here! Besides, there is no basketball to worry about now anyway! :p

Reaction Score
I believe that in candle pin the dead wood is left on the alley. Never tries it but it was quite popular up in Mass.

In Norwich, my home town, there was a combo theater/bowling alley. The Yale theater had triple feature monster/sci fi movies on Sat afternoon for 20 cents and the Yale duck pin lanes had pin boys. 10 cents a string.
Coming from Louisiana I had never heard of Duckpins or Candlepins. I worked at the Corps of Engineers in Waltham for about six months and got involved in a candlepin league.... that was different! I believe there is a Duckpin house on 32 up towards the DriveIn near the 31 turnoff (and Coyote flacco) between Willimantic and Coventry

Reaction Score
Coming from Louisiana I had never heard of Duckpins or Candlepins. I worked at the Corps of Engineers in Waltham for about six months and got involved in a candlepin league.... that was different! I believe there is a Duckpin house on 32 up towards the DriveIn near the 31 turnoff (and Coyote flacco) between Willimantic and Coventry

Still quite a few duckpin alleys in CT. There's one a few miles south of me on route 10 in Cheshire. Duckpin aficionados look down their noses at the "big ball" game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
SARGE: get OUT!!!! BRUNOS???!!!!!! Ate pizza there every Sunday night for a few years while doing some grad work out there. Tales to tall and to hear, I'm sure.
What year was that, were they still in the original building, "the Swiss Chalet", or the newer one on the levee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Still quite a few duckpin alleys in CT. There's one a few miles south of me on route 10 in Cheshire. Duckpin aficionados look down their noses at the "big ball" game.

I assume it's a New England thing...........

Reaction Score
What year was that, were they still in the original building, "the Swiss Chalet", or the newer on on the levee.

Master Sarge: will try to send you a private message now - sounds like we'd have several things to discuss - and prob not of interest to Yard in general.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Master Sarge: will try to send you a private message now - sounds like we'd have several things to discuss - and prob not of interest to Yard in general.
Sounds good to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom