Weight room | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Weight room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I know that this is just another one of your Chiefean arguments, like the co-ed scrimmage, that people like to laugh at while you think they're agreeing with you, but even accepting your premise is idiotic.

Even if we assumed for a second that the gymnastics thing is relevant -which it's not - what is it about that sport that makes you think the focus is "flexibility and conditioning"? Have you ever seen a gymnast? Conditioning? For when they're required to do 3 miles of backflips?

If there's one thing that gymnasts don't lack it's "power strength," whatever that means. They tend to be built like brick sh_thouses. It's like you're confusing gymnastics with distance running or something.

But of course the gymnastics thing is irrelevant, it's just another bizarre thing that makes you the lovable Boneyard psychopath.

Illian is literally a Ph D in this s__t. He knows what he's doing. That you, the guy who makes up stories about hanging out with people who are literally in a different state, can't comprehend that a guy who previously worked with one set of athletes can work with another doesn't mean it's not true.

Quite frankly, I think Chief is using "analysis" as a front for him to air his grievances against staffers he has personal problems with. It's clear that Clyde was a close friend of his, and that he has a bad personal relationship with Illian and G. Miller. Part of me is fascinated to hear about the origins of his beef with those two.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I think Chief is using "analysis" as a front for him to air his grievances against staffers he has personal problems with. It's clear that Clyde was a close friend of his, and that he has a bad personal relationship with Illian and G. Miller. Part of me is fascinated to hear about the origins of his beef with those two.

You're giving Chief too much credit I think. jmo though

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You're giving Chief too much credit I think. jmo though

Nah, given how a certain amount of the "inside info" he puts out holds up against people with actual connections have told me, I don't think he's a total fraud. Just an old friend of JC's who doesn't have the same kind of access/influence he used to and pines for the old days - hence the made-up stories about Drummond. Why is he so critical of Herbst? Because she probably pulled the plug on his all-access facilities pass or something.

C

Chief00

Herbst and a phone book's worth of restraining orders.

You are on the wrong side of history again. KO has now acknowledged I was right about the team needing to get physically stronger. Travis is a PhD and has his professional theories and they are light on the importance of brute force strength in basketball. I have given him credit on flexibility training - I do think that has reduced injuries and the conditioning program is ok. But, Brimah running steps is not stopping him from being knocked on his butt.
Truth is I was 100% right about this and only an angry person without the ability of objective reason would dispute that after the KU game.

As for my friendship with Clyde - I won't apologize for that. I also don't apologize for saying BC should have hired JC a couple years ago - they messed up. I don't dislike Glen Miller - I have known and liked him for years. I think he is a good and competent coach. He is not a Big Man's coach and doesn't even actively assume that role during the games. You never see him actively coaching a Big up during a game - the best time to have their attention. I also have a different view of his love of zone defenses. Unless you are very committed to consistently practicing zones which if you have been able to go to a few practices this season - you know they haven't - it won't work. KO called Glen's zone off after one play when KU hit the foul line jumper - that's not a commitment to it. Perhaps if Glen was a head coach somewhere he would consistently practice his beloved zones and they would work. I have been at games this year when we switch to a match up zone and we confuse ourselves more than the other team. KO has said he likes the idea of having this in his toolbox - but he has too much Calhoun influence in him to really buy into it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You are on the wrong side of history again. KO has now acknowledged I was right about the team needing to get physically stronger. Travis is a PhD and has his professional theories and they are light on the importance of brute force strength in basketball. I have given him credit on flexibility training - I do think that has reduced injuries and the conditioning program is ok. But, Brimah running steps is not stopping him from being knocked on his butt.
Truth is I was 100% right about this and only an angry person without the ability of objective reason would dispute that after the KU game.

As for my friendship with Clyde - I won't apologize for that. I also don't apologize for saying BC should have hired JC a couple years ago - they messed up. I don't dislike Glen Miller - I have known and liked him for years. I think he is a good and competent coach. He is not a Big Man's coach and doesn't even actively assume that role during the games. You never see him actively coaching a Big up during a game - the best time to have their attention. I also have a different view of his love of zone defenses. Unless you are very committed to consistently practicing zones which if you have been able to go to a few practices this season - you know they haven't - it won't work. KO called Glen's zone off after one play when KU hit the foul line jumper - that's not a commitment to it. Perhaps if Glen was a head coach somewhere he would consistently practice his beloved zones and they would work. I have been at games this year when we switch to a match up zone and we confuse ourselves more than the other team. KO has said he likes the idea of having this in his toolbox - but he has too much Calhoun influence in him to really buy into it.

And yet we won a NC with Travis. The players, who know far, far, far better than you or I, directly credit Travis's work in the offseason as the reason they were able to win in the tournament. They were in superior shape to UK.

What you are saying RE power/strength about Travis isn't founded on anything.

Every single person connected to UCONN basketball in anyway realizes we need to get stronger. It's not a revelation. The problem is the guys we have aren't made for it. Brimah is not going to fill out until maybe his late 20s, if at all. His body and frame simply aren't built that way. Facey and Hamilton as well. They are just thin guys. Let's see if Enoch fills out. Zach Brown. Those guys have the frame for it.

Power, strength, and flexibility go hand in hand. One accentuates the other. It's not an either or proposition.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I know that this is just another one of your Chiefean arguments, like the co-ed scrimmage, that people like to laugh at while you think they're agreeing with you, but even accepting your premise is idiotic.

Even if we assumed for a second that the gymnastics thing is relevant -which it's not - what is it about that sport that makes you think the focus is "flexibility and conditioning"? Have you ever seen a gymnast? Conditioning? For when they're required to do 3 miles of backflips?

If there's one thing that gymnasts don't lack it's "power strength," whatever that means. They tend to be built like brick sh_thouses. It's like you're confusing gymnastics with distance running or something.

But of course the gymnastics thing is irrelevant, it's just another bizarre thing that makes you the lovable Boneyard psychopath.

Illian is literally a Ph D in this s__t. He knows what he's doing. That you, the guy who makes up stories about hanging out with people who are literally in a different state, can't comprehend that a guy who previously worked with one set of athletes can work with another doesn't mean it's not true.
Your argument could have begun and ended with the guys doing rings and pummel horses.
Have to be some of the strongest dudes out there.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if Kentan could, I don't know, improve his game just a tick for next year? Whether that's in the weight room, jump shot, rebounding, defense or all of the above. It's like he plateaued at the age of 17.

I disagree. Actually, Kentan Facey has improved ... fairly noticeably since Nov. 2014 when we first put him in the starting lineup. He is more polished and useful. Can he start next year if given the shot? Maybe. At that POINT, he could get passed by Enoch or Mamadou may prove to be a more effective fit.

Reaction Score

Funny you should bring this up. "Chief's Beefs" was the next phase of our branding strategy. Look for the rollout coming soon!

Reaction Score
I disagree. Actually, Kentan Facey has improved ... fairly noticeably since Nov. 2014 when we first put him in the starting lineup. He is more polished and useful. Can he start next year if given the shot? Maybe. At that POINT, he could get passed by Enoch or Mamadou may prove to be a more effective fit.

He has improved as an offensive rebounder due to the fact he just goes to get it and can fly. As a defensive rounder he is still caught late with back to the basket as he's fighting for position or to box out, late a lot due to not reading the shooter. But he did some nice things coming off the bench, but I think if he's starting it's not a great sign for us.

Reaction Score
Both Brimah and Facey need to get stronger. Yeah, they are stronger than when they started here. But their needs are different.

Brimah used to lose the ball every time he got bumped. For him, the upper body needs work especially his hands and arms. He needs to be able to be able to hold the ball. Control it on rebounds. Be able to snatch the ball and put it away. He could add a little weight but that's not what will make him better.

Facey needs to improve his base. Guys go right through him. He has to build up his legs and butt. He needs strength and pounds. Weight means more to him. He should also work on his explosion. Once again that is a below the waist issue.

Yes, both will naturally benefit by being a year older and stronger. Facey is actually older than Brimah by a few months but both are in their early 20's and have some filling out to do. It will happen. But to address their strength needs, they need to work on different things.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

He has improved as an offensive rebounder due to the fact he just goes to get it and can fly. As a defensive rounder he is still caught late with back to the basket as he's fighting for position or to box out, late a lot due to not reading the shooter. But he did some nice things coming off the bench, but I think if he's starting it's not a great sign for us.

Facey missed box outs as the inside guy on foul shots in each of the last two games - JC would have iced him on the bench for that.

Reaction Score
I got a lot of crap for suggesting AB do a big boy camp last year - and, QED..

On his footwork, wasn't he touted has having great footwork due to his soccer experience? what's with that?

This year? Better late than never, or is it too late.

C

Chief00

The problem is when you bring in stringbeans it's pretty hard for them to put on serious weight and muscle that lasts all season. With a pretty serious off season weight program you can put on weight and muscle but once the season starts you are going to lose some of those gains with all the constant running and traveling. Just maybe focus on bringing in a couple bruisers sometimes. Enoch and Diarra should be a start.

I am having fun taking on all these arguments.
NEXT: The string bean body type can't develop.

Quite frankly, people forget Kirk King, Hilton and Emeka all had a skinny body types on day one - but they consistently lifted barbell weights like men do and got much bigger and tougher. Ben Gordon also changed his body type to much more muscular. The current guys are not self motivated enough in this area and the position coach and strength coach are not providing the proper guidance or motivation.

C

Chief00

On his footwork, wasn't he touted has having great footwork due to his soccer experience? what's with that?

This year? Better late than never, or is it too late.

Yeah, I agree soccer is not a usually a crossover sport with basketball.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Who the hell gave you crap for that? Someone actually recommended against a Big Man camp?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I am having fun taking on all these arguments.
NEXT: The string bean body type can't develop.

Quite frankly, people forget Kirk King, Hilton and Emeka all had a skinny body types on day one - but they consistently lifted barbell weights like men do and got much bigger and tougher. Ben Gordon also changed his body type to much more muscular. The current guys are not self motivated enough in this area and the position coach and strength coach are not providing the proper guidance or motivation.

Chief, it has to do with frame. All those guys had frames made for filling out. If you think everyone's physical potential for filling out is the same, you are completely out of your mind. Like Bonkers.

Same reason only some guys can be professional weight lifters. If everybody in the world lifted the same amount, there would be just as great a variation in body types as now (not at the margins).

These guys all lift weights. There were reports of Amida spending a lot of time in the weight room: he still didn't fill out.

C

Chief00

Chief, it has to do with frame. All those guys had frames made for filling out. If you think everyone's physical potential for filling out is the same, you are completely out of your mind. Like Bonkers.

Same reason only some guys can be professional weight lifters. If everybody in the world lifted the same amount, there would be just as great a variation in body types as now (not at the margins).

These guys all lift weights. There were reports of Amida spending a lot of time in the weight room: he still didn't fill out.

I understand the frame thing but hanging out in the weight room and actually lifting barbells and not the sissy toner stuff makes a difference - Facey and Hamilton definitely could fill out some.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
image.jpg

Exactly. Amida and Facey did get more muscular but adding weight is another story. Plus, if you factor in the amount of running that these guys do and the amount of weight they probably lose during practice and games , it's probably
Impossible for them to put on weight. It's body type. Maybe we need to recruit at least one kid that looks like this kid. Lol

Reaction Score
View attachment 12721

Exactly. Amida and Facey did get more muscular but adding weight is another story. Plus, if you factor in the amount of running that these guys do and the amount of weight they probably lose during practice and games , it's probably
Impossible for them to put on weight. It's body type. Maybe we need to recruit at least one kid that looks like this kid. Lol

Then the nutritionist is not doing their jobs. I'm sorry, it is not that hard to put on weight and put on muscle over the span of three years when you're supposed to have access to top shelf nutritionists and top shelf weight training programs. Either the food program is bad, the weight program is bad, or the players aren't dedicated enough. Maybe it's a mix of all three. But anyone can gain mass and muscle and it has nothing to do with body type. You can't grow broad shoulders but you can grow mass with what you have to work with.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Then the nutritionist is not doing their jobs. I'm sorry, it is not that hard to put on weight and put on muscle over the span of three years when you're supposed to have access to top shelf nutritionists and top shelf weight training programs. Either the food program is bad, the weight program is bad, or the players aren't dedicated enough. Maybe it's a mix of all three. But anyone can gain mass and muscle and it has nothing to do with body type. You can't grow broad shoulders but you can grow mass with what you have to work with.

Ok. Fair points and I'm sure KO and the staff will develop and put work into that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom