Week of 1/1/24 Other Games | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Week of 1/1/24 Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Watch it again. It was pretty hard and the elbow connected. He flops, but that wasn’t one. Still very close to being a “basketball move”. Game was officiated very evenly, I watched the whole thing. TCU gets away with a lot of reach ins and wrist slaps, just like teams do against us.

My soundbar must have gone out for a moment. I didn't hear the bazooka shot that hit Dickinson.

Reaction Score
If Somebody elbowed Clingan in the face and you’d all scream bloody murder (me too). It was a close call. This has been a great game.
You can't be taken seriously if you think that was a good call.

He made the clean steal and the contact was obviously inadvertent. Stopping the play when TCU had #'s didn't seem right, calling a flagrant and giving Kansas the game is just gross.

Good Kansas fans call out the bull.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
69*-
If Somebody elbowed Clingan in the face and you’d all scream bloody murder (me too). It was a close call. This has been a great game.
If it was a real and intentional elbow I would agree with you but 5 of us sitting here have seen the replay at least a dozen times and it was a no call and play on. Not even a close play at all- the TCU player was naturally moving his arm in a motion to secure the ball and move forward. Dickenson is the softest big man in college basketball - he never mixes it up under the boards and plays LeBron centerfield defense. Adding insult to injury- the basket he scored to put them ahead - he shuffled his feet twice- he traveled.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Watch it again. It was pretty hard and the elbow connected. He flops, but that wasn’t one. Still very close to being a “basketball move”. Game was officiated very evenly, I watched the whole thing. TCU gets away with a lot of reach ins and wrist slaps, just like teams do against us.
Sorry - you are way off on this one

Reaction Score
Flagrant aside, Dickinson pushed off (2 arms extended into the defender's back) and traveled (caught the ball, pivoted, hopped, then dribbled) on the last shot

I'm fine with the push off going uncalled because that seems like a weak call to end the game, but definitely shuffled his feet before the shot

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You can't be taken seriously if you think that was a good call.

He made the clean steal and the contact was obviously inadvertent. Stopping the play when TCU had #'s didn't seem right, calling a flagrant and giving Kansas the game is just gross.

Good Kansas fans call out the bull.
It was not close, it could not have been more obvious it was accidental and minimal contact
Then the review would have gone the other way. I think it was a marginal call. Some angles looked worse than others. It was not minimal contact, but inadvertent, sure. The only reason I thought they might call it is that his right arm was moving away from the ball, not towards it.

TCU is good again this year, they don’t get talked about much but Dixon is doing a good job there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Flagrant aside, Dickinson pushed off (2 arms extended into the defender's back) and traveled (caught the ball, pivoted, hopped, then dribbled) on the last shot

I'm fine with the push off going uncalled because that seems like a weak call to end the game, but definitely shuffled his feet before the shot
And the TCU guy pushed off on Jackson on his shot to put them up 2 before the flagrant. Thats just how the game was called.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This is the reason Kansas looses so many times early in the tourney. Unless they are playing 8 on 5 they can’t win. That call was a disgrace to the game of basketball. We all know Dickinson is a major flop per. The reason he probably chose Kansas is other than Duke, it is the only school where his flopping is not called. Not saying he flopped on this one but it was still a terrible call. Makes me feel like I was watching an NFL game. I cant believe Dixon did not lose it he does not have the same fire anymore. When he coached Pitt he was much more animated.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As ridiculous as that call was, it helps UConn. Kansas stays a Top 10 opponent and boosts our power ratings. Kansas is not a great team this year, and is going to lose some games where the Big 12 refs will not be able to rescue them. I will take this one.

Somehow, the Big East is only .02 behind the SEC in KenPom from being the #2 conference. As the preseason factors lose their weighting in KenPom, the Big East gets better.

Reaction Score
Way off on this one.

Reactions: MJ1

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
And the TCU guy pushed off on Jackson on his shot to put them up 2 before the flagrant. Thats just how the game was called.
Dickson pushed off on the last entry pass so we can go on and on, but what can’t be argued is that when you play in that building it is 8 on 5. Always has been always will be.

Reaction Score
I agree that it shouldn't have been a flagrant.
I was also not surprised that it was called a flagrant.
Classic example of it being the right call according to the rules, which means the rules should be looked at

TCU guy clearly swings his arm out and hits Hunter's face. Doesn't matter at that point if it's a forearm or an elbow, an arm was swung and made contact with the face. That is almost always called a flagrant

Maybe the rule needs to be reviewed to include intention. Because it's obvious there was no intention to hit the guy in the face. Also maybe if the victim flopped or not should be taken into consideration..

Reaction Score
That was probably the worst call of the entire basketball season. What made it worse was they REVIEWED it and came up with that. It was literally a 6 point swing with 50 seconds left. Took away a TCU steal where they had a wide open dunk then gave Kansas 2 FT’s and the ball. Absolutely brutal to watch.
One of the worst I’ve seen! That was worthy of a Bobby Knight chair throwing! Man, I don’t understand how the TCU coach didn’t go nuts!!

Reaction Score
Terrible call, refs pretty much decided the game. Refs need to grow a spine when calling games in Allen Fieldhouse.
Worst call ever, totally incidental contact. Dickenson was not hurt. Action should have not been stopped and no tech. Totally decided the game. The commentators agreed on both counts. Dickenson amazingly looked fine on free throws and following plays. These are the flops discussed prior to UConn game.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Classic example of it being the right call according to the rules, which means the rules should be looked at

TCU guy clearly swings his arm out and hits Hunter's face. Doesn't matter at that point if it's a forearm or an elbow, an arm was swung and made contact with the face. That is almost always called a flagrant

Maybe the rule needs to be reviewed to include intention. Because it's obvious there was no intention to hit the guy in the face. Also maybe if the victim flopped or not should be taken into consideration..
Exactly. It’s like we all forget, but I remember there was a game last year where Sanogo or Clingan was called for a very similar foul, possibly even less contact than this one.

A flagrant 1 foul (men's) or unsportsmanlike foul (women's) involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player "swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders".

Reaction Score
That was probably the worst call of the entire basketball season. What made it worse was they REVIEWED it and came up with that. It was literally a 6 point swing with 50 seconds left. Took away a TCU steal where they had a wide open dunk then gave Kansas 2 FT’s and the ball. Absolutely brutal to watch.
They literally gifted Kansas about 40% win probability, from down 2 without the ball to tied with the ball.

Reaction Score
I agree that it shouldn't have been a flagrant.
I was also not surprised that it was called a flagrant.
The announcers sounded shocked and the official they talked to said it obviously was a play on/inadvertent contact but everyone who follows college basketball knew there was a decent chance they would call it because it was Kansas in that building.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Absolutely.

I came here with this question, which has been unmentioned until the above.

I honestly do not know if the rule has been adjusted in the past 2-3 years, but I thought that it had then been at the standard that any direct contact above the shoulder was required to be called a flagrant, irrespective of whether it was malicious, intentional, etc.

Some further disclosure:
The elbow was visually flat, and it did strike Dickinson.
It looked like an unnecessary if not uncommon, volitional 'extra' by Udeh, though my understanding is that such determination is outside of the equation. I bring this up because some might consider it an unfortunate unforced error by Udeh.
I don't like particularly Dickinson, so I can relate to the enmity here.
I don't like that Kansas regularly enjoys what looks like friendly AFH reffing.
I do think that the KU win is helpful to UConn.

Is anyone here able and willing to weigh in as to whether there has been any recent evolution with how the rule is currently written?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom