Week 3, Women's College Basketball Rankings [Merged Thread] | The Boneyard

Week 3, Women's College Basketball Rankings [Merged Thread]

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I like it, UConn really does not need to play...sitting at #3 (675 pts), with a lofty 0-0 win/loss, at this rate will be a #1 seed and they got 2 first place votes without playing, just wait until Stanford and Louisville loses. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've come to realize when a team is put in a top 25 poll, it's very difficult to get them to drop out. I mean look at DePaul and Gonzaga (both 1-2) at 24th and 25th respectively. Both should have dropped out, there are more deserving teams out there...just to piggy-back to what @Kaizen just mentioned.

Reaction Score
I've come to realize when a team is put in a top 25 poll, it's very difficult to get them to drop out. I mean look at DePaul and Gonzaga (both 1-2) at 24th and 25th respectively. Both should have dropped out, there are more deserving teams out there...just to piggy-back to what @Kaizen just mentioned.
Yes, both DePaul and Gonzaga are 1-2 and they are still in Top 25. That is ridiculous.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
So DePaul gets shellacked by Louisville and is still in the top 25, but South Dakota only loses to South Carolina by 10 and Gonzaga by 4 and doesn't even get votes?

Maybe the voters don't know the South Dakota and South Dakota State are different schools? I know they're 1-2, but there is something to be said for quality losses...

Reaction Score
Any of the highlighted teams are worthy to fill the 24th and 25th spot. I didn't highlight North Carolina due to their lofty SOS Rank. There are others but this should be sufficient evidence.

1607368664921.png

Reaction Score
Oh boy, I can't wait to see the wreck that the Boneyard Poll is going to be in comparison to the media outside of the quibbles at the bottom. IMO, Texas, DePaul, Ohio State, Syracuse, and Oregon State shouldn't even be ranked, but we'll see what happens this evening.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So DePaul gets shellacked by Louisville and is still in the top 25, but South Dakota only loses to South Carolina by 10 and Gonzaga by 4 and doesn't even get votes?

Maybe the voters don't know the South Dakota and South Dakota State are different schools? I know they're 1-2, but there is something to be said for quality losses...
I'm betting that the BY poll is much better. Based on USF's performance (close loss to Baylor and beating top 10 Mississippi State), I have them in my top 10. It's sad that instead of ranking teams where they should be, pollsters move them up or down based on what just happened, even if it was egregious.

The preseason polls had USF not getting any votes so putting them where they belong after this past week's incredible performance is not possible, in spite of only a few games being played.

Reaction Score
I'm betting that the BY poll is much better. Based on USF's performance (close loss to Baylor and beating top 10 Mississippi State), I have them in my top 10. It's sad that instead of ranking teams where they should be, pollsters move them up or down based on what just happened, even if it was egregious.

The preseason polls had USF not getting any votes so putting them where they belong after this past week's incredible performance is not possible, in spite of only a few games being played.

It's interesting, I had South Florida at 18, but I also ranked Mississippi State beneath South Florida for the moment. It's hard to figure out exactly how to punish or reward teams this year, and I suspect once conference play starts, it'll get even muddier given the lack of a picture the OOC has really provided this year.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

It's interesting, I had South Florida at 18, but I also ranked Mississippi State beneath South Florida for the moment. It's hard to figure out exactly how to punish or reward teams this year, and I suspect once conference play starts, it'll get even muddier given the lack of a picture the OOC has really provided this year.

I moved USF into my top 20 after not having them ranked in the preseason, but didn't feel like I could rank them over Mississippi State. I feel like if it were a best of five series, I don't think USF would prevail.

Very excited to see the BY poll!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Depaul is ranked??

Let me get this straight.... they lose to TAMU.... beat the worst team in women's college basketball, then get blasted by 50 to Louisville... and still get ranked?

Well... guess thats good news for Duke.... If Louisville runs us outta Cameron on Wednesday night by 40-50 pts..... we will make our first appearance in the poll next week :)

Reaction Score
Depaul is ranked??

Let me get this straight.... they lose to TAMU.... beat the worst team in women's college basketball, then get blasted by 50 to Louisville... and still get ranked?

Well... guess thats good news for Duke.... If Louisville runs us outta Cameron on Wednesday night by 40-50 pts..... we will make our first appearance in the poll next week :)

The voters love Bruno...Geno's buddy. :D

Reaction Score
It’s difficult imo to justify a 12-14 level exchange based on one game. I agree that Miss. St. was over-ranked but still... dropping 14 places (or even 8-10 for a loss is a bit of a stretch just as jumping 10-14 places is a stretch. Sometimes teams just have a bad day at the same time another has a good one. Also, some teams simply match up well or poorly with a certain team’s style of play. DePaul, I agree, is a bit of a head scratcher.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Nobody wants to see that. At least nobody in my household.

I would LOVE that. I saw UConn at Cameron in 2012 and had SUCH A GOOD TIME! A much easier drive from Charlotte than ECU and with much more hospitable fans than SC...

Reaction Score
It’s difficult imo to justify a 12-14 level exchange based on one game. I agree that Miss. St. was over-ranked but still... dropping 14 places (or even 8-10 for a loss is a bit of a stretch just as jumping 10-14 places is a stretch. Sometimes teams just have a bad day at the same time another has a good one. Also, some teams simply match up well or poorly with a certain team’s style of play. DePaul, I agree, is a bit of a head scratcher.

Honestly, it wasn’t that big of a drop for me. I didn’t have State ranked that highly to begin with, and they only dropped about 5 spots in my poll, so while I agree with your assessment about drops as a rule, I think that the craziness of this season has made me more liable to be willing to shuffle teams more drastically than I have in the past.

Reaction Score
Depaul is not a terrible team. They will make the NCAA tournament. They do not match up at all with Louiseville and Doug Bruno knows that. Sometimes a team just doesn't match up. If they played 10 times, Louiseville would whip them 10 times. Bruno started 5 guards, heights 5-7, 5-8, 5-10, 5-10, 5-10. I think everything thus far this season is not what it appears, player projections are off, polls are wrong, projected starters aren't starting or not doing well. Some freshmen are stepping up. That's why they have to play the games.

Reaction Score
I think this is about right. We should stay where we are until we start playing games. Covid shouldn't impact UConn good or bad.

I think I could have given Arkansas a couple places higher but not hugely upset about their spot.

The crime was USF. They should be somewhere in the 20s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom