Week 3, Women's College Basketball Rankings [Merged Thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 3, Women's College Basketball Rankings [Merged Thread]

Reaction Score
I agree with using the current ranking, as it should reflect better where a team 'really' should have been when they played other teams in the past. I also agree that polls don't work this way, because they can't - you don't know the current ranking until after the results of the poll you're voting on come out. Computer algorithms use the current ranking (ranking by their math - not rankings from a subjective poll) because that's really the only thing that makes sense.

I do think the polls have some validity though. IMO there really is something to the eye test. But this probably doesn't outweigh their many flaws - like the inertia to stay near your last week's ranking even after you get blown out and exposed by a nobody, or after you knock off the #1 team.

Reaction Score
Nobody thinks that Indiana beat a top 10 team when looking at their win over Penn State. Maybe womens college basketball is behind the ball here but analysis has advanced from that archaic thinking.
Go look at any Indiana schedule and right now they still show a win over #8 Penn State. It's simply the convention. This is a point not worth arguing as it has already been settled.

Reaction Score
Without looking it up! What year did No. 1 UConn lose a game and still hold the No. 1 rank for the whole year?

Reaction Score
It’s way too early, of course, but Massey has Oregon number one. Stay tuned.

Massey uses last year for a while. As more games are played that diminishes until about game 10, when Massey is all this season.

Reaction Score
Obviously I agree 100% with you and I will just add one (or 2) more things. I don't want to belabor or continue the argument...

I don't know how the RPI or other services look at it for their numbers, but when you look at the schedule of any team, at the end of the year, USF's schedule will say that on "X" date they beat #6 Mississippi State. 2nd, at the end of the year when Creme and the other "experts" are talking about seeding for the NCAA's, they will talk about USF's high quality win over "#6" Mississippi State.

Now I don't know what the NCAA seeding committee does behind closed doors - I've never seen anything in writing saying how they look at good wins or losses for seeding or making the tourney (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I've never seen it), but if Creme and the other prognosticators are talking about USF's win over #6 MSU in March/April, it stands to logic that even if they drop out of the top 25, they still count the win as beating a top 10 team.

The RPI or other numerical statistics may calculate differently, but that's my recollection.
Talking heads on ESPN might use the rankings when they played but the committee uses up to date rankings, obviously, for good reason. Never realized this was such an unknown and controversial take.

Reaction Score
Go look at any Indiana schedule and right now they still show a win over #8 Penn State. It's simply the convention. This is a point not worth arguing as it has already been settled.
Just because a website is lazy doesnt mean they are correct.

Indiana has not beat a team that is ranked in the top 10.
Indiana beat a team that previously, before we had more insight and data, was ranked in the top 10.

Both are true, like the committee, I will use the most up to date rankings rather than the archaic ones. Do you think the committee uses week 2 RPI/SOS/SOR to evaluate teams or end of regular season RPI/SOS/SOR?

[ ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Just because a website is lazy doesnt mean they are correct.

Indiana has not beat a team that is ranked in the top 10.
Indiana beat a team that previously, before we had more insight and data, was ranked in the top 10.

Both are true, like the committee, I will use the most up to date rankings rather than the archaic ones. Do you think the committee uses week 2 RPI/SOS/SOR to evaluate teams or end of regular season RPI/SOS/SOR?

[ ]
It's not laziness, it's convention. The end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
With all the cancelled games and more limited schedules, this year a single loss "could" wind up being a dis-qualifier for a number 1 seed in the tournament. In normal years that wouldn't be true, and it probably won't be this year either, but a few teams could go undefeated with fewer big games on their schedule.

It is hard to estimate, but my guess is 3 losses would pretty much rule out a top seed, two probably makes it very unlikely, and it is not inconceivable that one loss for a team not in the Power 5, might leave them outside the top four.

That magnifies the significance of every loss, because once you lose one or two, you may not be in control of your own destiny, at least for seeding purposes. You are dependent on others losing to get you back into the discussion for a top seed.

Reaction Score
You and @Kaizen and @mbr33ct are of course 100% right. It's like saying "NC state's win over SC is not that big a deal - they beat a team not in the top 4". Um sorry, but SC was ranked #1 at the time, whether you think they were the #1 team or not.

Frankly I can't believe we are actually debating this. USF beat the team who was ranked #6 at the time and that's how the voters will look at that win. It's always been that way. It probably always will be that way. You can argue that Mississippi State is better or worse than their ranking at any time this season and whoever they play, that argument is completely irrelevant.

More than that, it's flat out wrong. The QUALITY of their win is based on beating the #6 team in the country. Period. It's not the least bit debatable as far as the ranking services go.

Hope that cleared it up...:confused:
We are only debating this because UCONN has not played yet.... : ( {sad face....}

It will all be cleared up once we have defeated Baylor for their 2nd (or third) loss of the season, particularly if Oregon State or UCLA can knock off Oregon, and Oregon can knock off Stanford for belated Christmas presents for all those on the Boneyard who are in favor of our UCONN Huskies!!!!

Wasn't the RPI to be replaced by NET something?!? [How's that going for them.....]

Maybe they should just replace it with the Boneyard ranking arguments.... LOL!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You can't get blown out on National TV and be voted in the top 25. The people who voted for DePaul should have their voting privileges pulled.

hand.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom