Week 3, Women's College Basketball Rankings [Merged Thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 3, Women's College Basketball Rankings [Merged Thread]

Reaction Score
I'm betting that the BY poll is much better. Based on USF's performance (close loss to Baylor and beating top 10 Mississippi State), I have them in my top 10. It's sad that instead of ranking teams where they should be, pollsters move them up or down based on what just happened, even if it was egregious.

The preseason polls had USF not getting any votes so putting them where they belong after this past week's incredible performance is not possible, in spite of only a few games being played.
Mississippi State is #12, not top 10.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State was #6 when USF beat them, so at the time they were top 10...
Right but nobody cares what team were ranked at the time, the only thing relevant is the most up to date assessment.

Thats like Indiana getting credit in football for beating a top 10 Penn State in week 1. The same Penn State that is now 2-5. Just because the rankings were flawed then doesnt mean you have to use them when there are more accurate rankings available now.

Reaction Score
Right but nobody cares what team were ranked at the time, the only thing relevant is the most up to date assessment.

Thats like Indiana getting credit in football for beating a top 10 Penn State in week 1. The same Penn State that is now 2-5. Just because the rankings were flawed then doesnt mean you have to use them when there are more accurate rankings available now.
USF beat MSST when MSST was #6 this is a fact. Nobody can change this fact. We do care who beat whom at the time they played, not after.

Reaction Score
USF beat MSST when MSST was #6 this is a fact. Nobody can change this fact.
Sure but Mississippi State is the #12 team in the country. So South Florida beat the #12 team in the country. South Florida has zero wins over teams that are in the top 10.

Reaction Score
Sure but Mississippi State is the #12 team in the country. So South Florida beat the #12 team in the country. South Florida has zero wins over teams that are in the top 10.
I would say USF caused the ranking shift from #6 to #12. Don't know how the RPI looks at it, but it should be an average of 9....
Missippi State may recover should they stay near S. Carolina in the SEC standings, as there are 4 other ranked teams (including SC)... We'll see in Late January 2021 with the big games with UTA&M, Kentucky, & SC....

Reaction Score

So if next week MssSt goes to 10 then USF can again say they beat a top 10 team? I understand your point but teams and fans always claim the ranking at the time of the game. Even ESPN lists that ranking in their team results.

Reaction Score
So if next week MssSt goes to 10 then USF can again say they beat a top 10 team? I understand your point but teams and fans always claim the ranking at the time of the game. Even ESPN lists that ranking in their team results.
Yes. The most accurate rankings are the current ones and those should be the ones referenced. Pre-season rankings are notoriously awful.

Reaction Score

...no, South Florida beat out #6 ranked Miss State...it's right in the box score.

1607393148613.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Any of the highlighted teams are worthy to fill the 24th and 25th spot. I didn't highlight North Carolina due to their lofty SOS Rank. There are others but this should be sufficient evidence.

View attachment 62135

As a Washington fan...no they should not be ranked. Not after how bad they looked against Stanford yesterday.

Reaction Score
...no, South Florida beat out #6 ranked Miss State...it's right in the box score.

View attachment 62161
And if you look at the rankings South Florida beat the #12 team in the country. Like I said, Indiana beating 2-5 Penn State is not Indiana beating a top 10 team. The logic is terrible.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They go by the rankings when they played each other. It has been this way forever and it's not going to change. No. 1 South Carolina lost, No. 4 Baylor lost and No. 6 Mississippi lost.
You and @Kaizen and @mbr33ct are of course 100% right. It's like saying "NC state's win over SC is not that big a deal - they beat a team not in the top 4". Um sorry, but SC was ranked #1 at the time, whether you think they were the #1 team or not.

Frankly I can't believe we are actually debating this. USF beat the team who was ranked #6 at the time and that's how the voters will look at that win. It's always been that way. It probably always will be that way. You can argue that Mississippi State is better or worse than their ranking at any time this season and whoever they play, that argument is completely irrelevant.

More than that, it's flat out wrong. The QUALITY of their win is based on beating the #6 team in the country. Period. It's not the least bit debatable as far as the ranking services go.

Hope that cleared it up...:confused:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yes. The most accurate rankings are the current ones and those should be the ones referenced. Pre-season rankings are notoriously awful.
That was not the pre season ranking when USF beat Mississippi St, it was week #2 on the Polls.

Reaction Score
You and @Kaizen and @mbr33ct are of course 100% right. It's like saying "NC state's win over SC is not that big a deal - they beat a team not in the top 4". Um sorry, but SC was ranked #1 at the time, whether you think they were the #1 team or not.

Frankly I can't believe we are actually debating this. USF beat the team who was ranked #6 at the time and that's how the voters will look at that win. It's always been that way. It probably always will be that way. You can argue that Mississippi State is better or worse than their ranking at any time this season and whoever they play, that argument is completely irrelevant.

More than that, it's flat out wrong. The QUALITY of their win is based on beating the #6 team in the country. Period. It's not the least bit debatable as far as the ranking services go.

I am speechless to ... A Town. I think he is an allen alien from outer space.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree with you 100 percent! It was the BY Rookie who I posted that for Eric!

Reaction Score
Y'all can all be right. USF beat #6 Mississippi St. However, for any collegiate sport, when it comes down to it, the selection committee uses the final ranking of teams when evaluating wins and losses.

So, if USF beat MSST when MSST was ranked #3 in the rpi (don't know their RPI, just using a hypothetical) and then MSST loses a bunch more and falls to 56 in the RPI by season end, USF is not credited with a top 5 win, they are credited with a win over #56 in the committee's eyes.

This is why in football right now, Notre Dame is hoping that North Carolina wins out so that they can count them as another top 25 win, as if they fall out of the top 25, it does not count to the seeding committee as a top 25 win and then their only top 25 win is against Clemson whom was without their starting quarterback..

This is true in any collegiate sport. Tournament and seeding selections are based on wins and losses against teams at their final ranking, not at the time played.

However, there is certainly truth in saying USF beat the #6 in the country. Selection committees just won't use that number and will use the final ranking at season end when evaluating a team's wins and losses.

Reaction Score

Nobody thinks that Indiana beat a top 10 team when looking at their win over Penn State. Maybe womens college basketball is behind the ball here but analysis has advanced from that archaic thinking.

Reaction Score
That was not the pre season ranking when USF beat Mississippi St, it was week #2 on the Polls.
Pre-season rankings lead to inaccuracies in early season polling. Hence why in college football they dont start ranking teams until like week 7 (playoff committee, the only ranking that matters)

Reaction Score
Pre-season rankings lead to inaccuracies in early season polling. Hence why in college football they dont start ranking teams until like week 7 (playoff committee, the only ranking that matters)
College football has the worst playoffs in all of Div.1 College Sports!!!

Reaction Score
It’s way too early, of course, but Massey has Oregon number one. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Y'all can all be right. USF beat #6 Mississippi St. However, for any collegiate sport, when it comes down to it, the selection committee uses the final ranking of teams when evaluating wins and losses.

So, if USF beat MSST when MSST was ranked #3 in the rpi (don't know their RPI, just using a hypothetical) and then MSST loses a bunch more and falls to 56 in the RPI by season end, USF is not credited with a top 5 win, they are credited with a win over #56 in the committee's eyes.

This is why in football right now, Notre Dame is hoping that North Carolina wins out so that they can count them as another top 25 win, as if they fall out of the top 25, it does not count to the seeding committee as a top 25 win and then their only top 25 win is against Clemson whom was without their starting quarterback..

This is true in any collegiate sport. Tournament and seeding selections are based on wins and losses against teams at their final ranking, not at the time played.

However, there is certainly truth in saying USF beat the #6 in the country. Selection committees just won't use that number and will use the final ranking at season end when evaluating a team's wins and losses.
It is plain and simple.
USF beat MSST when MSST was ranked #6 on Dec. 2, 2020.
We didn't care what USF or MSST's rank in now or in the future or in next 10 years.
Easy enough?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It is plain and simple.
USF beat MSST when MSST was ranked #6 on Dec. 2, 2020.
We didn't care what USF or MSST's rank in now or in the future or in next 10 years.
Easy enough?
Obviously I agree 100% with you and I will just add one (or 2) more things. I don't want to belabor or continue the argument...

I don't know how the RPI or other services look at it for their numbers, but when you look at the schedule of any team, at the end of the year, USF's schedule will say that on "X" date they beat #6 Mississippi State. 2nd, at the end of the year when Creme and the other "experts" are talking about seeding for the NCAA's, they will talk about USF's high quality win over "#6" Mississippi State.

Now I don't know what the NCAA seeding committee does behind closed doors - I've never seen anything in writing saying how they look at good wins or losses for seeding or making the tourney (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I've never seen it), but if Creme and the other prognosticators are talking about USF's win over #6 MSU in March/April, it stands to logic that even if they drop out of the top 25, they still count the win as beating a top 10 team.

The RPI or other numerical statistics may calculate differently, but that's my recollection.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom