Week 3 preview (Nov. 23-28) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Week 3 preview (Nov. 23-28)

Reaction Score
Really great game between Oregon St and Notre Dame. ND held onto their lead and escaped with a solid W. I really like their team, they are just really young, and I also think all their post are scorers, and I'd like Mabrey and Citron to get more looks. For Oregon State, it's not just making shots but I love how Talia played in the second half. She's got great size, and can really play inside and out. I just want her to be aggressive all the time. Similarly Taylor Jones is great, I wish she was a bit more aggressive. I really like the way she uses her length to contest shots on defense, and offensively she is solid. I think she just has to have a scorers mentality as well, for this team to remain a top 20 team.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Tough OT loss for Penn, out west, in the LMU Tournie
Another one of my favorite unheralded players is Kayla Padilla for Penn.

Reaction Score
Indiana and Miami ended up being a nail-biter. Miami missed a 3-pointer in the final second that would have given them the upset, losing by 2

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Indiana and Miami ended up being a nail-biter. Miami missed a 3-pointer in the final second that would have given them the upset, losing by 2
Would have been a terrible loss for Indiana, who looked incredibly flat. Miami got beat badly by Washington State and has struggled to put away the cupcakes on its schedule.

It was a tight low-scoring game, but Indiana pushed ahead 52-40 with over 5 minutes left. Kelsey Marshall almost singlehandedly won the game for Miami, scored all 11 of their points in the final run and just missed on the 3 attempt at the buzzer. Indiana scored one point on a free throw in the last 5 minutes.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Flagship and Land Grant school of North Carolina . vs the Flagship and Land Grant School of Washington...... NC 2 WA 0

I wonder if that has ever happened before on the same day in WBB.... ? If it has, it can't be that often.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Flagship and Land Grant school of North Carolina . vs the Flagship and Land Grant School of Washington...... NC 2 WA 0

I wonder if that has ever happened before on the same day in WBB.... ? If it has, it can't be that often.
I'm not sure that either match up has ever happened before, and I bet just about any amount of money that both match ups couldn't have possibly ever happened on the same day before.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that either match up has ever happened before, and I bet just about any amount of money that both match ups couldn't have possibly ever happened on the same day before.

I was thinking.... it probably happens in the Pac 12 with Washington and Washington State playing Oregon and Oregon State respectively on the same day/night.

If I ever won the lottery (granted I've never played) I would set up a early season tournament double header... Flagship vs Flagship and Land Grant vs Land Grant. Texas and Texas A&M vs Virginia and VPI... and so on.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I was thinking.... it probably happens in the Pac 12 with Washington and Washington State playing Oregon and Oregon State respectively on the same day/night.
Oh, I was just thinking the North Carolina and Washington double header. Yeah, we get the NW cross state land grant vs. flagship thing going at the same time.

If I ever won the lottery (granted I've never played) I would set up a early season tournament double header... Flagship vs Flagship and Land Grant vs Land Grant. Texas and Texas A&M vs Virginia and VPI... and so on.
I'm in. Make it happen!

Reaction Score
The AP Poll on Monday will be interesting. Expecting BYU, Georgia & Notre Dame to be ranked. UCLA, Florida St. & VA Tech should fall out. USF deserves to rise high.

Reaction Score
BYU beats Florida State 61-54. Shaylee Gonzales goes for 24, including 10-11 FTs.

Florida State was bigger, faster, deeper, and far more talented. But their bloated football budget couldn't buy them the heart and grit that BYU showed. All the more impressive considering BYU was without their head coach.

Not to toot my own horn, but I had BYU ranked ahead of Florida State on my poll. (One of only two Boneyarders who had BYU in their top 25).
Cougars dominated ASU. CTT said she wished she recruited Gonzales harder. Even though Harding scored 25 against Lady Devils Gonzalez was the glue on that team. She was the Arizona Gatorade player of the year coming out her senior year and had 40 career double doubles in high school and seven triple-doubles. I was really impressed with her play.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Cougars dominated ASU. CTT said she wished she recruited Gonzales harder. Even though Harding scored 25 against Lady Devils Gonzalez was the glue on that team. She was the Arizona Gatorade player of the year coming out her senior year and had 40 career double doubles in high school and seven triple-doubles. I was really impressed with her play.
Just curious -- does that mean she didn't try to recruit Gonzales? Or she just sort of half-heartedly did so because she underestimated how good she'd be?

Edit to add: Quite a day yesterday for BYU athletics:
  • Women's soccer team reached its first ever "College Cup" (final 4), with a dominant 4-1 win over South Carolina.
  • WBB won its 2nd consecutive game over an AP top 25 opponent — without their head coach on the sideline.
  • Its #13 ranked football team eked out a win over USC.

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
NC State and Washington State are setting offenses back to the stone age.
Good thing that game was NOT on national television. It was ugly...certainly ugly to listen to. NC State shot better in the second half but that first half was brutal from both teams. More turnovers than made baskets. But, in a way, it's good for teams to experience a night like that, when the shots just aren't falling.

Washington State never did find their groove and finished at 25% shooting for the game. Lead scorer for the Cougars was Walleck with 7 points. NC State finished a little above 37% for the game. The only double-digit scorer between the two teams was Diamond Johnson, who finished with 24 points. Elissa Cunane made 1 FG, at the beginning of the 4th quarter, but was consistently fouled and sent to the FT line.

Then, when NC State was up 30, Wes Moore pulled the starters to avoid an unnecessary injury.

Plebe

Reaction Score

For sure it happens all the time in the Pac-12, due to the "travel partner" scheduling format plus the fact that half the conference consists of flagship/land grant pairs (Arizona, Oregon and Washington schools).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Rhode Island (7-1) takes their first loss of the year, against Long Beach St. (6-0).

Reaction Score
Just curious -- does that mean she didn't try to recruit Gonzales? Or she just sort of half-heartedly did so because she underestimated how good she'd be?

Edit to add: Quite a day yesterday for BYU athletics:
  • Women's soccer team reached its first ever "College Cup" (final 4), with a dominant 4-1 win over South Carolina.
  • WBB won its 2nd consecutive game over an AP top 25 opponent — without their head coach on the sideline.
  • Its #13 ranked football team eked out a win over USC.
Great question. I don't know. In the post game interview with Jeff Munn after the BYU loss CTT made the comment about wishing she'd recruited Gonzales harder. She didn't elaborate. If I'm not mistaken Gonzalez would have been in the same class as Taya Hanson.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's okay @azfan , I've been wishing for years UW would've gone after Harding (Johnson) from Everett, WA, but she obviously ended up at BYU as well and has done well there.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Great question. I don't know. In the post game interview with Jeff Munn after the BYU loss CTT made the comment about wishing she'd recruited Gonzales harder. She didn't elaborate. If I'm not mistaken Gonzalez would have been in the same class as Taya Hanson.
Yes, Gonzales and Hanson were both class of 2018. Gonzales was from Gilbert Mesquite HS (just several miles from ASU); Hanson is from Kelowna, BC.

I did just a little digging, and Gonzales got a very early offer from Judkins in the summer after her freshman year. and though other schools (not named in the sources I read) also showed interest, she committed to BYU early in her junior year. Her LDS faith was reportedly a major reason for her decision.

Gonzales was Gatorade Arizona POY her junior year.

Reaction Score
Yes, Gonzales and Hanson were both class of 2018. Gonzales was from Gilbert Mesquite HS (just several miles from ASU); Hanson is from Kelowna, BC.

I did just a little digging, and Gonzales got a very early offer from Judkins in the summer after her freshman year. and though other schools (not named in the sources I read) also showed interest, she committed to BYU early in her junior year. Her LDS faith was reportedly a major reason for her decision.

Gonzales was Gatorade Arizona POY her junior year.

CTT has experience and knowledge with the LDS community. I suspect with the background Gonzales has she was aware that it would be very difficult to get Gonzalez after BYU expressed such strong interest.

Reaction Score
Yeah at this point it’s hers to lose
Would Morrow win NFOY coming from a non-P5 conference? Visibility should be less of an issue with games against UConn.

She’s been sensational. Super impressive. Absolutely a stat sheet-stuffer.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Would Morrow win NFOY coming from a non-P5 conference? Visibility should be less of an issue with games against UConn.

She’s been sensational. Super impressive. Absolutely a stat sheet-stuffer.
I assumed they meant Big East FOY. Certainly she's an early front-runner for that.

IMO would be a surprise for NFOY coming from a team not ranked in the top 25.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom