Week 3 preview (Nov. 23-28) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Week 3 preview (Nov. 23-28)

Reaction Score
I assumed they meant Big East FOY. Certainly she's an early front-runner for that.

IMO would be a surprise for NFOY coming from a team not ranked in the top 25.
Agreed on NFOY. Anyone else for Big East FOY would be a surprise at this point, although that point is still early.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
After looking very sloppy vs App State. Duke (My Blue Devils) beat a feisty Troy squad 91-75. Still somewhat sloppy with 19 turnovers... and 10-25 from the FT line is unacceptable... otherwise.. the game would have been a blowout. Barring injury.... Celeste Taylor will be a first team All-ACC player.. 24 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists, and 6 steals today :eek:

@cancontent You may have said it, and I overlooked it..... but did you mention how dynamic of a talent Day-Wilson is? We were trailing at the half vs App State on Wednesday... then she goes off for 12 points in the third quarter and puts us ahead for good. Today she goes 8-10 from beyond the arc (but 0-4 from the FT Line) and scores a career high 26 points... after setting a career high of 14 vs App. This kid is electric.... comes off the bench and is instant offense. Do you remember the Detroit Piston Player Vinnie Johnson? Was their six man and was nicknamed the microwave cause he could score points in a short amount of time. She fills that role for us.... except she is also a playmaker.

For sure it happens all the time in the Pac-12, due to the "travel partner" scheduling format plus the fact that half the conference consists of flagship/land grant pairs (Arizona, Oregon and Washington schools).

During my earlier summer research, I found out that Arizona State is one of those schools that sounds like its a land grant, but actually isn't. Arizona is both the Flagship and the Land Grant. Florida State is another one of those schools.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
During my earlier summer research, I found out that Arizona State is one of those schools that sounds like its a land grant, but actually isn't. Arizona is both the Flagship and the Land Grant. Florida State is another one of those schools.
You may be the only living person that has this info at their fingertips. I'm so thankful to the Boneyard.

So what are Arizona and Florida if they're neither flagship nor land grant?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You may be the only living person that has this info at their fingertips. I'm so thankful to the Boneyard.

So what are Arizona and Florida if they're neither flagship nor land grant?

Not sure about ASU, but I do know that FSU was once the women's college for Florida... changed to co-ed back in the 1940s. I know this from watching college football... they have mentioned it during various games through the years.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not sure about ASU, but I do know that FSU was once the women's college for Florida... changed to co-ed back in the 1940s. I know this from watching college football... they have mentioned it during various games through the years.
For many decades it was called "Tempe Normal School" (i.e. teachers' college), and didn't become Arizona State University until 1958. Its original mascot was the Bulldogs.

Plebe

Reaction Score

LOL leave it to a Vol beat writer to tout a metric that is utterly meaningless on two fronts: (1) no longer used in NCAA WBB; (2) way too early in the season for any statistical significance.

Surely there's a smarter way to celebrate program-defining wins over Kansas and Oklahoma State.

Reaction Score
LOL leave it to a Vol beat writer to tout a metric that is utterly meaningless on two fronts: (1) no longer used in NCAA WBB; (2) way too early in the season for any statistical significance.

Surely there's a smarter way to celebrate program-defining wins over Kansas and Oklahoma State.
Cold blooded.

Reaction Score
Arkansas clobbers Belmont 83-63, and it wasn’t that close. Nice night for freshmen Spencer (13 pts, 3-5 from deep) and Wolfenbarger (10 pts).

Reaction Score

Well, it’s about as relevant as Masssey’s

Reaction Score
After looking very sloppy vs App State. Duke (My Blue Devils) beat a feisty Troy squad 91-75. Still somewhat sloppy with 19 turnovers... and 10-25 from the FT line is unacceptable... otherwise.. the game would have been a blowout. Barring injury.... Celeste Taylor will be a first team All-ACC player.. 24 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists, and 6 steals today :eek:

@cancontent You may have said it, and I overlooked it..... but did you mention how dynamic of a talent Day-Wilson is? We were trailing at the half vs App State on Wednesday... then she goes off for 12 points in the third quarter and puts us ahead for good. Today she goes 8-10 from beyond the arc (but 0-4 from the FT Line) and scores a career high 26 points... after setting a career high of 14 vs App. This kid is electric.... comes off the bench and is instant offense. Do you remember the Detroit Piston Player Vinnie Johnson? Was their six man and was nicknamed the microwave cause he could score points in a short amount of time. She fills that role for us.... except she is also a playmaker.

@triaddukefan I haven't had to say much for 2 reasons. Many on the BY have been aware of her for some time because of her playing with Lattimore and Edwards at Crestwood for one. She's definitely a spark plug and looks to be fitting in well at Duke. My other reason is that while she is an instant playmaker, there are gaps that seem to get overlooked because of her scoring ability.

For example, her turnovers is still something that is concerning when I see the stats. It's been like this since her HS days and hasn't changed or shown signs of improvement yet. If she's not the leader in the category for the team, she's close to the top. Yesterday she had 6 out of the team's 21 turnovers. In 6 games she has 23 assists and 28 turnovers. For all the offence she can create, this tendency of hers could get exposed going up against tougher teams and other ACC teams as conference play starts.

Plebe

Reaction Score
If someone told me that by the end of Thanksgiving weekend the only undefeated D1 team in California would be Long Beach State, I wouldn't have believed them. One never knows, do they.
I'm pretty sure their game vs. Rhode Island (battle of undefeateds) in Virginia yesterday was untelevised. But looking at the box score, it was a massive turnaround: URI led by as much as 11 late in 2Q, but the Beach then went on a 26-3 run over the next 9-ish minutes to take a commanding lead. Rhode Island would cut it to 5 with 3:00 left but got no closer.

They'll play Oregon and USC in December, so we'll see how that goes for them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Ryan is a senior at Tennessee. He has much to learn. Then again, one must consider the audience. High fives all over Tennessee.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@triaddukefan I haven't had to say much for 2 reasons. Many on the BY have been aware of her for some time because of her playing with Lattimore and Edwards at Crestwood for one. She's definitely a spark plug and looks to be fitting in well at Duke. My other reason is that while she is an instant playmaker, there are gaps that seem to get overlooked because of her scoring ability.

For example, her turnovers is still something that is concerning when I see the stats. It's been like this since her HS days and hasn't changed or shown signs of improvement yet. If she's not the leader in the category for the team, she's close to the top. Yesterday she had 6 out of the team's 21 turnovers. In 6 games she has 23 assists and 28 turnovers. For all the offence she can create, this tendency of hers could get exposed going up against tougher teams and other ACC teams as conference play starts.

I knew that Lattimore is the kid who also committed to Syracuse then decommitted.. I had to Google to see who Edwards was.

Yes, turnovers are definitely areas of concern. She mentioned in the post game press conference as an area that she needs improvement. Lawson has started Dejesus and brought Day-Wilson off the bench.. I think she will continue to do that.. At times they both play together. With DW running point and DJ moving off the ball. ... I expect to see that when teams employ the press.

Reaction Score
I knew that Lattimore is the kid who also committed to Syracuse then decommitted.. I had to Google to see who Edwards was.

Yes, turnovers are definitely areas of concern. She mentioned in the post game press conference as an area that she needs improvement. Lawson has started Dejesus and brought Day-Wilson off the bench.. I think she will continue to do that.. At times they both play together. With DW running point and DJ moving off the ball. ... I expect to see that when teams employ the press.
That and she could be more committed on defense. There was one play yesterday where she turned it over and virtually gave the Troy player a clear lane to the basket which turned into a highlight replay during the game.

It was easier for her to get away with it in HS. With games like the one vs Iowa this week, her commitment on defense is going to be more important than her offense especially if she's matched up against Clark at certain points of the game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Rhode Island (7-1) takes their first loss of the year, against Long Beach St. (6-0).
yeah, she's not a good coach, so let's please stop with the Tami to UVa dialogue. Nothing to see here....
:rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Semi related, I thought Maddi Utti transferring from Fresno St. to Long Beach St. was kinda odd. Maybe she knew what she was doing. The Beach is off to a fast start and FSU is struggling. Maybe she just got tired of sharing the ball w/ the Cavinder twins.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Marshall almost singlehandedly won the game for Miami, scored all 11 of their points in the final run and just missed on the 3 attempt at the buzzer. Indiana scored one point on a free throw in the last 5 minutes.
Were you able to watch the game? I was following on ESPN's play-by-play

Reaction Score
Miami got beat badly by Washington State and has struggled to put away the cupcakes on its schedule.
Agreed. Miami desperately needs their most consistent player and scorer (Hardin) to return from injury and their other top scorer (Gray) who missed all of last year with a torn ACL has been unable to find her 3-point shot at all this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom