Week 15 Other Games | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Week 15 Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes they gave Pitt a lot of love.
Say what you will about Capel, but he did a remarkable job of creating an instant team from the portal. Of the starters, only Federico is a recruit. The other four are all portal guys, and doubtful any will be at Pitt beyond this season.

caw

Reaction Score
This season has been a bloodbath for the entire Top 25. A bad team like Texas Tech beating the #6 team is the rule, not the exception. Anyone who thinks that UConn is going to cruise to 5-0 or 4-1 the rest of the regular season against the Big East flotsam like Depaul and St. Johns has not been paying attention.

Yep. That said, if a team like UNC is still on the bubble, I am severely confused how anyone thinks UConn is close to the bubble.

Thoughts go out to MSU tonight

Just horrible situation, becoming more common it seems.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
They’re playing well now.

Weird year for the ACC
not really. right now, it looks to me that they have 6, mebbe 7 tourney teams, and yet, in the net nonsense, only one team in the top 25.

i really hope that we end up there. really. top shelf.
contrary to ad nauseum speculation here, that conference ain't going to explode, no way, no how. i think many folks here have never been south of the mason-dixon line - the highest population region for the entire nation. they should visit as it's very nice there. beaches, mountains, corn likker and bbq, too.

Reaction Score
not really. right now, it looks to me that they have 6, mebbe 7 tourney teams, and yet, in the net nonsense, only one team in the top 25.

i really hope that we end up there. really. top shelf.
contrary to ad nauseum speculation here, that conference ain't going to explode, no way, no how. i think many folks here have never been south of the mason-dixon line - the highest population region for the entire nation. they should visit as it's very nice there. beaches, mountains, corn likker and bbq, too.

Worked out really well for Syracuse, BC, Louisville and Pitt.

Reaction Score
I think the thing that is missing in the ACC for Syracuse, BC. and Pitt is UConn. We were always a great match up for those schools. They don't seem to have that match up right now in the ACC. They are outliner teams cause they have no history with the other schools.

Orc

Reaction Score
Say what you will about Capel, but he did a remarkable job of creating an instant team from the portal. Of the starters, only Federico is a recruit. The other four are all portal guys, and doubtful any will be at Pitt beyond this season.

Im cringing at the thought of Capel getting his first tourney win before Hurley (uri not included) yikes

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Worked out really well for Syracuse, BC, Louisville and Pitt.
Pitt's issue was they hired a really crappy coach (Stallings) after Dixon left. Old boy network stuff. Just decimated the team. Pitt hoops is decent this year (albeit likely temporary as 4/5 starters are senior xfers), football is doing just fine, and they're finally making some hay in Olympic sports and baseball. As a whole, their athletic dept under Heather Lyke is probably the best it's ever been.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I think the thing that is missing in the ACC for Syracuse, BC. and Pitt is UConn. We were always a great match up for those schools. They don't seem to have that match up right now in the ACC. They are outliner teams cause they have no history with the other schools.
being a gambling sort, i'd bet that
(setting the scene... a group of acc bosses, settin around a conference room, prolly with big glass overlooking the links. tasty bevs at hand tho no food allowed at the table, standards, dignity, an all that...)
'harumpf, well what are we to do aboot all this upheaval? how can we go on the attack? and what are we to do aboot our seemingly disconnected northern outposts?'
'hmmmm, hmmmmmm .... cutoff northern outpost... hmmm. hey, isn't Uconn kind of floating around solo out there? didn't they just get back on track with football? how aboot....'
'hey! a legit northern division represented by Penn, NY, Mass, and the Ct! tv-licious! we can have a full on North v South dynamic in the league!, with fan and media stuff aboot invasions, carpetbaggers, hill people,
winter snowbirds, clams and fatback, the hype can be endless!'
'but i don't like clams, and i always shoot in the 70s. iffn it's colder, i won't go out...' there's always one.

harumpfs all around, as they depart to hit a few drives over at the range,
and to contemplate the new possibilities...

ya, i bet that is, or will be, happening.
gonzaga need not apply - they don't tackle.

Reaction Score
Kalib Boone destroying Kansas right now. 14 and some FTs upcoming with 4 minutes left in the first half. Karaban probably feeling better that we had to double him after watching this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pitt's issue was they hired a really crappy coach (Stallings) after Dixon left. Old boy network stuff. Just decimated the team. Pitt hoops is decent this year (albeit likely temporary as 4/5 starters are senior xfers), football is doing just fine, and they're finally making some hay in Olympic sports and baseball. As a whole, their athletic dept under Heather Lyke is probably the best it's ever been.

Alternatively, Jamie Dixon saw that writing on the wall that Pitt would have trouble recruiting in the ACC without multiple games a year in the New York area, and left Stallings an empty cupboard. Capel, the ultimate "old boy" given his Duke connections, holds onto the job despite chronic mediocrity because he has an untouchable buyout. He got that buyout because no coach wanted to go to Pitt given how hard it was to win there. Now, just as the buyout is dropping, he unexpectedly has an OK season.

A city team like Pitt should do better in the NIL/Transfer Portal era, but the Howland/Dixon level of success is never coming back.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Alternatively, Jamie Dixon saw that writing on the wall that Pitt would have trouble recruiting in the ACC without multiple games a year in the New York area, and left Stallings an empty cupboard. Capel, the ultimate "old boy" given his Duke connections, holds onto the job despite chronic mediocrity because he has an untouchable buyout. He got that buyout because no coach wanted to go to Pitt given how hard it was to win there. Now, just as the buyout is dropping, he unexpectedly has an OK season.

A city team like Pitt should do better in the NIL/Transfer Portal era, but the Howland/Dixon level of success is never coming back.
There are also those who would know better than I that Dixon's real issues with Pitt started with having his arm twisted to sign and pay Khem Birch.

Dixon left Stallings two guys who made the NBA, three seniors who were all fairly decent, and frosh Ryan Luther.

Dixon made the tourney 2 of the 3 years he was in ACC, and had a 66-37 record (28-26 conference). TCU was his alma mater.

Reaction Score
I wonder how long it will take some of us UCONN fans to stop hopingbDuke loses each time they play.
Only until the media stops fawning over them and having the heavy hitters come in and do Duke vs UNC

caw

Reaction Score
Bama drops to Tennessee at Tennessee. Fun game to watch from a defensive POV.

Northwestern is smacking the crap out of Indiana. The two teams that just beat Purdue. Don't think anyone saw Northwestern doing this.

caw

Reaction Score
Six games for ranked teams last night. Four involved matchups between two ranked teams/teams soon to be ranked.

X lost at Marquette
TCU lost at ISU
Indiana lost at Northwestern
Alabama lost at Tennessee

It's tough on the road against decent competition.

Or sometimes even against poor competition:

SDSU won at Fresno State by two. Horrible game to watch. Fresno State is not good. Literally took about 3-4 threes when down 1 under a minute to go. Nothing even attempted going to the rim. Just horrid hero ball contested shots. SDSU didn't do themselves any favors by hitting 1/4 FT attempts. My eyes are bleeding.

Ohh and UVA won at UL by three. I refused to watch this one because there are better options and I didn't expect UVA to struggle with UL, anyone know why it was even this close?

Reaction Score
Just got back from the Sacred Heart/FDU game where the Pioneers beat the Knights 94-86 in OT.

HUGE game for junior forward Nico Galette: 27 points on 12-20 shooting led by four huge iso plays late in regulation and OT. He's like the NEC's version of Bryce Hopkins.

With three of their guards injured, Sacred Heart's leading receiver Kenneth Womack is a team's walk-on and has had to step up in point guard duties over the last seven games. Tonight, he had career highs in minutes (29), points (15) and assists (8). He's been surprisingly efficient this season with 21 assists in just 5 turnovers.

For those of you near Fairfield and want to catch some live basketball after the Seton Hall game, Sacred Heart has a big home game 2 PM on Saturday against Merrimack. Currently tied for 4th in the NEC, a top-four finish this season will secure a first round home game for Sacred Heart.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Memphis spent the last 10 minutes lighting themselves on fire, and still pulled it out over UCF. I lost track of how many turnovers Memphis had in the last 10 minutes. It may not matter though, because Kendric Davis is basically getting carried off the court after the game, and there is no path to an NCAA bid without him.

Penny Hardaway did a solid by his old school by sticking around as long as he has, but he should take the next ACC, SEC or Big 12 opening that comes along. Memphis has no margin for error to get a bid, and it is going to get harder to win in that league with Houston, Cincinnati and UCF gone next year. One-third of the ACC coaches look like they are going to get fired, so there will be some options.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hmmm... for many reasons Pitt should've been favored @VaTech, yet VT started week as a 2.5-3 pt favorite and this morning moved to a 5.5 pt favorite. They've been dominating Pitt with forward play. Pitt C Federiko got his 4th foul less than 3 minutes into 2nd half. VT up by 12 with 17 mins left. Seems unlikely Pitt ever gets into this game. Granted, it'll be a Q1 loss for Pitt, but it's just wild how bad they look and how VT can do whatever they want in this game.

Reaction Score
Crazy day so far. Illinois plays #14 Indiana to 1 possession, Notre Dame plays #1 Virginia to 1 possession, Oklahoma plays #6 Texas to 1 possession in OT, Kentucky beats #10 Tennessee, Iowa St falls again, Kansas ran through Baylor, Nova is playing Providence close, and there's still 5 ranked teams left to go!

Reaction Score
What is Kyle Neptune doing fouling and extending that game when it was well out of hand and over

Reaction Score
What is Kyle Neptune doing fouling and extending that game when it was well out of hand and over
Just made the final score worse. Should have just let them dribble out the clock unless he has a 13 point play under his belt.

Reaction Score
Dickie V giving the TOD stamp on Boehiem, "He's had an amazing career, 62 years at the same school but it's time you gotta look in the mirror..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom