We should’ve won but overall it’s not terrible. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We should’ve won but overall it’s not terrible.

Reaction Score
That don't come here after a loss. Go watch youtube videos of rainbows and unicorns to make yourself feel better.
Oh shut up. Every team we beat “ain’t that good” and every team we lose to is “terrible” are there any other decent programs in the country outside of ourselves? Calling an 8-1 WVU team who may be ranked next week a “really, really bad loss” is beyond delusional and reactionary

Reaction Score
This idea about “How far we’ve come” is so stupid and just completely irrelevant. No one is saying that we should be challenging for a title this year. We know the limitations of the team. But the majority of our players are playing well below those limitations and expectations. That’s not gonna cut it. And our staff is also coaching below expectations. Recruiting is great. Love it. Keep getting players. But those players need to be coached and relied on to make our team better. And it starts with coaching them up.
But I just think it's about having reasonable expectations. Unless you think this was a top 5 team that is going to win a title tonight's result is not the end of the world. This was a perfectly reasonable result for a borderline top 25 team like we are

Reaction Score
We're a good team without them, we're a very good team with them
Based on what? We weren't a good team tonight. I just think our depth is exaggerated and when one of our top guys are out we'll have issues.

Reaction Score
It's not a really really bad loss, but you can't possibly leave that game feeling good about this team can you? We might have the worst offense of any UConn team I've ever seen, and that includes the later Ollie years.
I can and did. I'm not worried about this team

Reaction Score
It's not a really really bad loss, but you can't possibly leave that game feeling good about this team can you? We might have the worst offense of any UConn team I've ever seen, and that includes the later Ollie years.
I absolutely still feel good about this team who’s missing 2 of their 3 best players….Maybe I just think that’s more important than most

Reaction Score
But I just think it's about having reasonable expectations. Unless you think this was a top 5 team that is going to win a title tonight's result is not the end of the world. This was a perfectly reasonable result for a borderline top 25 team like we are
The loss on face value is not bad, obviously. What makes it bad is how we played, because not only did we play pretty damn poorly, it’s a habit of ours to play that way. No one in this game showed any improvement. I’d argue we took a step back in a lot of categories

Reaction Score
It was a really really bad loss.

I don't understand why it upsets so many people to state the obvious.
I’m not willing at this point to say this was a “really really bad loss.” What I am willing to say is that it will lead to really really bad losses down the road if we don’t correct some significant mistakes going forward, such as failing to box out (especially on FTs), being unaware of the shot clock, making free throws, and trying too many length of the court passes to guys who are maybe 1 or 2 steps ahead of a defender but who simply don’t have breakaways.

Reaction Score
The loss on face value is not bad, obviously. What makes it bad is how we played, because not only did we play pretty damn poorly, it’s a habit of ours to play that way. No one in this game showed any improvement. I’d argue we took a step back in a lot of categories
Exactly, they are a good program who lost to Marquette who we are better than. And it’s not about them, did you see the terrible choices and nervousness and scared play by us. It’s beyond disappointing to me. Like you said, did we learn anything.

Reaction Score
If the season ended today I'd agree, on its own tonight was a step back. But progression isn't always linear, especially when so much of our ceiling is tied into young guys. If it gets to be March and Hawkins and Jackson are still making this many mistakes then I can say we're not a great team

Reaction Score
Exactly, that was a game we DEFINITELY should have won. No moral victories.
Those aren’t necessarily the same; we certainly could have won it, and maybe we should have won it, but neither makes it a really really bad loss. We barely lost, on the road, to a good (7-1 coming in) Big 12 team, with 2 of our starters injured.

Reaction Score
And all this “we played terrible” talk is being over stated. We missed shots. It’s that simple. I don’t expect us to keep shooting 3-21 from 3.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It’s okay to be wrong. You’re wrong. The only people who think this is a really really bad loss are on this board. This place is like an echo chamber of negativity. ZERO objectivity exist here after a loss. ZERO

Years ago I was working on a feature that would list # of posts after a win, vs after a loss. I couldn't get it to work well enough, but the results I did generate were predictable. Some people only showed up after a loss.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Obviously were the better team but couldn’t make a shot and so lost. It is what it is. Is it terrible? Yes, because we lost a game we should have won by double figures with no drama, while shorthanded. With Martin and Sanogo we win by 20+ If we can make an open 3 at rate better than 6th graders.

So yeah, it’s terrible. Because at the end of the day it will look like an L to a meh team that isn’t very good.

Reaction Score
It’s not a really bad loss all things considered, but there are some worrisome trends that continue to be exposed. These were also issues when Adama and Tyrese were playing. Most notably:

• Terrible offense after timeouts and on inbounds plays.
  • Puzzling substitution patterns. Why take Cole out when he is red hot?
  • Any semblance of ball handling and shot creation outside of Cole/Tyrese. We always play panicked in close games. This was the case for Auburn and VCU wins as well.
  • Jackson still not playing under control. His assist/TO ratio is a problem.
It’s one game and the shooting was awful, but you can’t have a blind eye to these consistent issues.

Reaction Score
And all this “we played terrible” talk is being over stated. We missed shots. It’s that simple. I don’t expect us to keep shooting 3-21 from 3.
It actually isn’t being overstated, it’s being properly stated. In what aspect did we play well? I guess we got them to shoot 44% from the line. But all kidding aside, this is a game that we can say the team played terribly…

Reaction Score
Should have won but I'm over it, no one got hurt. But for the love of god, what is the odds of this team having such an abysmal shooting night......shots that never had a chance

Reaction Score
I agree. If we hit a couple of three's and put down some free throws, then it isn't a bad loss. But tonight's display of stupid stupid turnovers was embarrassing.
“If we hit a couple of three’s and put down some free throws,” it’s not any kind of loss, but a win. Regardless, I still disagree that it was a bad loss, especially at this point in the season. We haven’t even started BE play yet.

Reaction Score
It actually isn’t being overstated, it’s being properly stated. In what aspect did we play well? I guess we got them to shoot 44% from the line. But all kidding aside, this is a game that we can say the team played terribly…
Defensively we played very well. For much of the game we even ran the offense pretty well. We got all the shots we wanted. We just missed them. The effort was there as well. We didn’t execute very well. But they did some positive things in this game. The pressure on the WVU guards late in the second half was REALLY good

Reaction Score
Based on what? We weren't a good team tonight. I just think our depth is exaggerated and when one of our top guys are out we'll have issues.
I'll agree with the second part, depth is overrated when you're not going more than 8 deep at any time. I wouldn't say our depth is exaggerated as much as the benefit of having depth was

Reaction Score
Was bad loss in sense that if we played a little tighter, we could have grabbed a road victory against a fairly decent opponent. WVU isn't awful, but except for their defense, they didn't play well. Getting a victory on the road when your opponent is having an off night, but not taking advantage of it and letting it slip away, is why this was a bad loss.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think we're a bad shooting team. I agree 3-21 is unlikely to happen regularly, but I doubt you see Villanova ever shoot that badly.

Reaction Score
Was bad loss in sense that if we played a little tighter, we could have grabbed a road victory against a fairly decent opponent. WVU isn't awful, but except for their defense, they didn't play well. Getting a victory on the road when your opponent is having an off night, but not taking advantage of it and letting it slip away, is why this was a bad loss.
Disappointing is more the word. Bad insinuates that it’ll actually have a negative effect on our season. At least in my opinion

Reaction Score
I think we're a bad shooting team. I agree 3-21 is unlikely to happen regularly, but I doubt you see Villanova ever shoot that badly.
Yea we aren’t a great shooting team. I wouldn’t go as far as to say bad. Say we went 6-21? We win. Polley and Hawkins(2 very good shooters) missed multiple wide open shots. That won’t keep happening

Reaction Score
Defensively we played very well. For much of the game we even ran the offense pretty well. We got all the shots we wanted. We just missed them. The effort was there as well. We didn’t execute very well. But they did some positive things in this game. The pressure on the WVU guards late in the second half was REALLY good
Don’t know where you saw us run the offense well. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times we actually got into and ran a set. And that was only in the first half, I didn’t see anything run well in the second half. We did defend pretty well for stretches but still got beat off the dribble too often and as the game wore on they scored a lot in the paint, where they really shouldn’t against us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom