We should’ve won but overall it’s not terrible. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We should’ve won but overall it’s not terrible.

Reaction Score
I skipped all the comments, just wanted to say it if it wasn’t already…….you aren’t gonna win with Hawkins and Polley combining 1-13 from the field. That is just plain terrible. I’ll give Hawkins a pass since he’s a freshman, but Polley, come on dude

Reaction Score
A winnable game in a very tough venue. Make some shots and execute offensive sets late in game.. Maybe a win. DH has lost to two HOF coaches this year . Huggins is working the refs the minute they get to the arena.

Let's regroup and get a W on Sat.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So to cheer myself up this morning I'm watching "A Run for the Ages: 2010-2011 UConn". And early on there's this quote from Blaney:

"Jim did one of the great coaching things I've ever seen by him. He was able to use the five freshmen that we played all the time, but he was able to put them in places. His ability to pick and choose which one was going to give us some minutes was masterful."

I suppose that comes from experience, and I hope Hurley gets that experience very, very soon.

Reaction Score
They never make they’re free throws. Most of the guys who were missing for them aren’t good free throw shooters. Polley and Hawkins had abnormal nights
Your perception of Polley is hilarious. He is not a very good shooter and he did not have an abnormal night. He puts up 0-fers from 3 against good teams all the time.

Reaction Score
Your perception of Polley is hilarious. He is not a very good shooter and he did not have an abnormal night. He puts up 0-fers from 3 against good teams all the time.
To say Polley isn't a good shooter is hilarious.

This is prime example of this board being laughably negative after a loss. Now Polley isnt a good shooter. Ignore the fact he damn near carried us to our best win of the season to date. Or that he's consistently a 40% three point shooter throughout his career. Forget all that and call the kid a bad shooter because he had a bad night. ZERO objectivity

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Taz can play. Would have been better if TM/AS were playing D to add a degree of difficulty to his shots.

The problem-- They were in street clothes..

Can only hope for continued team growth and a W on Sat

Reaction Score
To say Polley isn't a good shooter is hilarious.
Polley shoots like Ray Allen 1 in 10 games and like Tyrese Martin the other 9. He’s not a good shooter. He’s shooting 23% from 3 this year in the 9 games that aren’t Auburn. Just like he shot 30% from 3 last year in the games that weren’t @Marquette or @Butler.

I‘m sure he’ll catch fire and win us another game or two, but he is not a good shooter in general.

Reaction Score
Polley shoots like Ray Allen 1 in 10 games and like Tyrese Martin the other 9. He’s not a good shooter. He’s shooting 23% from 3 this year in the 9 games that aren’t Auburn. Just like he shot 30% from 3 last year in the games that weren’t @Marquette or @Butler.

I‘m sure he’ll catch fire and win us another game or two, but he is not a good shooter in general.
We'll just disagree. He's a streaky shooter. BUt definitely a good one. You exclude anyone's good performances and they'll look bad. That's a weird way of judging someone's ability.

Reaction Score
We'll just disagree. He's a streaky shooter. BUt definitely a good one. You exclude anyone's good performances and they'll look bad. That's a weird way of judging someone's ability.
When you're excluding someone's "good performances", and you're only excluding 1 out of every 10 games, they're not good. This isn't that hard.

Reaction Score
All in all, we probably would’ve won be 5-10 with Sanogo and Martin. I see this game more as a building moment for the team.

Something I’ve generally been impressed with, outside of a few minute stretch were all aware of, is the half court offense. A lot better this year in total than I thought given Hurley’s never had a good half court offense before. Figured we would be relying on transition offense, which actually seemed to hurt us quite a bit last game.

Reaction Score
When you're excluding someone's "good performances", and you're only excluding 1 out of every 10 games, they're not good. This isn't that hard.
If you look back on his career his percentages indicate he's a good shooter. He's shot under 38% ONE time. While averaging about 4 attempts a game. This season is 9 games old. Come and see me in march.

Question: Is Akok a better shooter than Polley?

Just to call out your bs

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
While I'd have obviously liked for them them to win. I don't think it was a really, really, bad loss under the circumstances, nor on paper (Down two starters, in a hostile environment). WVU made some ridiculous fall away 3s, but I though that the defense was okay for the most part.

On the other hand the style of on court play on the offensive end was concerning. Cole shouldn't have to play 40 minutes for UConn to generate offense, and getting across the time line should not be an adventure in out of control dribbling vs. a soft press. The offense was in shambles and I feel a team needs set multiple screens to get guys free, when the opponent is playing so much into your back pocket.

Also (and I don't get it), the Quad-4iest of Quad-4 teams have at least one guy that can hit an open 22'-2" jump shot. UConn hasn't had a knockdown shooter since 2015 and the floor will not open up until teams respect that UConn can hit that shot. Someone needs to take the pressure off Cole. I'm not sure Hawkins is that guy yet, Jackson has no confidence, and Whaley has too much.

Reaction Score
Instead of cherry-picking stats/games, let's look at Polley's career numbers to judge him as a shooter. Anything short of that is using statistics to paint a pre-determined narrative rather than honest discussion.

Polley 3PT%
17-18 - 41.7%
18 -19 - 38.0%
19 - 20 - 40.5%
20 - 21 - 35.5%
21 - 22 - 30.8%

His shooting has regressed the last 2 years, there's no denying he's streaky. There is no argument to be made that a guy who shoots 37.2% from deep for his career "isn't a good shooter" unless you're just a bad fan who wants to badmouth a player.

He's currently the 5th best 3PT shooter in UConn history, just behind Rip, ahead of Vital.

Edit:
Rashad Anderson shot 38.6% for his career. Every 100 threes, Rashad made 1.4 more than Polley. Statistically, he's not all that superior to Polley. Our problem isn't that Polley isn't a good shooter, it's that he hasn't had the ability to consistently make shots when we really need him to. Unlike Rashad who we felt would never miss, but who in fact shot less than 39%.

Nobody talked about Polley's "0-For the Game" effort against Coppin State because we won by 35.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you think this was a really really bad loss. I feel bad for you as a fan.
it was a bad loss because of all the mistakes that were made. where was akok? and can someone teach jackson and hawkins how to dribble and control the ball?

Reaction Score
Instead of cherry-picking stats/games, let's look at Polley's career numbers to judge him as a shooter. Anything short of that is using statistics to paint a pre-determined narrative rather than honest discussion.

Polley 3PT%
17-18 - 41.7%
18 -19 - 38.0%
19 - 20 - 40.5%
20 - 21 - 35.5%
21 - 22 - 30.8%

His shooting has regressed the last 2 years, there's no denying he's streaky. There is no argument to be made that a guy who shoots 37.2% from deep for his career "isn't a good shooter" unless you're just a bad fan who wants to badmouth a player.

He's currently the 5th best 3PT shooter in UConn history, just behind Rip, ahead of Vital.
It's reactionary. After a loss half of this board losses their minds. They begin to have a negative view of everything. And i'd bet real money that 30% won't hold

Reaction Score
it was a bad loss because of all the mistakes that were made. where was akok? and can someone teach jackson and hawkins how to dribble and control the ball?
Every loss has mistakes. It's why you lose. Would there be any loss you consider not a bad loss? I doubt it. We could lose to the 96 Bulls and this board would say, "No excuses! Winners find a way to win!". Delusional

Reaction Score
If you look back on his career his percentages indicate he's a good shooter. He's shot under 38% ONE time. While averaging about 4 attempts a game. This season is 9 games old. Come and see me in march.

Just to call out your bs

I feel just as confident with Akok taking a 3 as I do with Polley.

Reaction Score

Polley 3PT%
17-18 - 41.7%
18 -19 - 38.0%
19 - 20 - 40.5%
20 - 21 - 35.5%
21 - 22 - 30.8%

Edit:
Rashad Anderson shot 38.6% for his career. Every 100 threes, Rashad made 1.4 more than Polley.

Our problem isn't that Polley isn't a good shooter, it's that he hasn't had the ability to consistently make shots when we really need him to.

Nobody talked about his "0-For the Game" effort against Coppin State because we won by 35.

I love all UConn players and hope every player has the chance to break records. Polley has played 5 years here and has been the same player since day 1, it’s inevitable he’d make a list if he is somewhat productive, which he has been. If people actually think he deserves to be recognized as one of the best 3 point shooters in school history, I’m convinced that they think their aunt has balls

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Polley 3PT%
17-18 - 41.7%
18 -19 - 38.0%
19 - 20 - 40.5%
20 - 21 - 35.5%
21 - 22 - 30.8%

Edit:
Rashad Anderson shot 38.6% for his career. Every 100 threes, Rashad made 1.4 more than Polley. Statistically, he's not all that superior to Polley. Our problem isn't that Polley isn't a good shooter, it's that he hasn't had the ability to consistently make shots when we really need him to. Unlike Rashad who we felt would never miss, but who in fact shot less than 39%.

Nobody talked about Polley's "0-For the Game" effort against Coppin State because we won by 35.

Rashad shot a no-rotation knuckleball that had no margin of error when it came down. Polley has a sweet looking shot.

It is worth remembering that Rashad got to shoot with 3 future NBA players drawing double teams down low, and a fantastic college point guard in Marcus Williams creating for him. Rashad got a lot of open looks. Polley's defender is always right on him.

Reaction Score

Just to call out your bs
Yeah pre injury he was good, still streaky, but good. We're not in that world anymore. And I have no idea what type of shooter Akok is, he has no significant volume. It wouldn't bother me if he started taking some of Polley's attempts. I'm quite sure he could have gone 0-3 vs MSU, 0-4 vs VCU, 0-4 against WVU.

Reaction Score
Every loss has mistakes. It's why you lose. Would there be any loss you consider not a bad loss? I doubt it. We could lose to the 96 Bulls and this board would say, "No excuses! Winners find a way to win!". Delusional
maybe so, but akok ss still missing in action every game and the other two are always an adventure whenever they touch the ball

Reaction Score
Man I tell you with that “really really bad loss” we fell a whopping 4 spots in the NET. I’m a little confused seeing how bad of a team WV is.

Reaction Score
Also, we just seemed rushed all game....just a tough first road test. I think we'll adapt and be better. Crowds here are different than atlantis.

Reaction Score

Polley 3PT%
17-18 - 41.7%
18 -19 - 38.0%
19 - 20 - 40.5%
20 - 21 - 35.5%
21 - 22 - 30.8%

Edit:

Sure, but
a. Rashad was ridiculously clutch, and
b. He didn't get to his 38.6% by being incredible in a small handful of games, and bad in most others. He consistently shot well.

In the last 2 years Polley has had 3 games where he was incredible and pretty much won us the game, and then 29 games where he averaged 28% from three. If people want to use the word good to define that, OK.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom