We should’ve won but overall it’s not terrible. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

We should’ve won but overall it’s not terrible.

Reaction Score
a. Rashad was ridiculously clutch, and
b. He didn't get to his 38.6% by being incredible in a small handful of games, and bad in most others. He consistently shot well.

In the last 2 years Polley has had 3 games where he was incredible and pretty much won us the game, and then 29 games where he averaged 28% from three. If people want to use the word good to define that, OK.
"If you take away his great games he's average"

Reaction Score
Not to pile on Polley, who is a fine player in my opinion, but last night he seemed to really be forcing it. He seemed to be doing a lot of dribbling to find a shot, which I've never really seen him do before, except in those couple games where he was on fire and hitting everything.

Reaction Score
I love all UConn players and hope every player has the chance to break records. Polley has played 5 years here and has been the same player since day 1, it’s inevitable he’d make a list if he is somewhat productive, which he has been. If people actually think he deserves to be recognized as one of the best 3 point shooters in school history, I’m convinced that they think their aunt has balls
I'm convinced you don't understand the difference between Percentage and Total made and therefore probably shouldn't venture into the nuances of gender discussions. 3PT% has nothing to do with longevity leading to production, and everything to do with how many shots you make out of how many you take. Full stop. Why do I have to explain this to an adult?

It doesn't matter if you take 406 threes over 5 seasons (Polley) or 715 over 4 seasons (Rashad), the % made is what it is, and isn't improved with longevity (in Polley's case it's the opposite).

His 3PT percentage, by the time he is done, will be good enough to be around 5th all time at UConn. Definitely top 10.

This stat is as objective as it gets.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced you don't understand the difference between Percentage and Total made and therefore probably shouldn't venture into the nuances of gender discussions. 3PT% has nothing to do with longevity leading to production, and everything to do with how many shots you make out of how many you take. Full stop. Why do I have to explain this to an adult?

It doesn't matter if you take 406 threes over 5 seasons (Polley) or 715 over 4 seasons (Rashad), the % made is what it is, and isn't improved with longevity (in Polley's case it's the opposite).

His 3PT percentage, by the time he is done, will be good enough to be around 5th all time at UConn. Definitely top 10.

The 5th all time 3point shooter in UConn history is a bad shooter

Reaction Score
"If you take away his great games he's average"
He's below average if you take them away. And his great games are 1 in 10. Kind of a problem. You're acting like I'm removing half his games.

"If you're good at something 10% of the time that means you're good!"

Reaction Score
He's below average if you take them away. And his great games are 1 in 10. Kind of a problem. You're acting like I'm removing half his games.
You are not being honest. All of his games are not hot or cold. He’s has plenty of 2-5, 3-8 games. You’re acting like people can’t go look up these stats. He’s going to go down as one of the top 5 3 point shooters in UConn history by the numbers and you’re calling him a bad shooter. I don’t know why you want to die on this hill

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Oh shut up. Every team we beat “ain’t that good” and every team we lose to is “terrible” are there any other decent programs in the country outside of ourselves? Calling an 8-1 WVU team who may be ranked next week a “really, really bad loss” is beyond delusional and reactionary
Auburn is a great team. We were lucky to win that after pissing away a lead . Usually we piss away leads late for a loss. See last night. Or Mich state or creighton BET or St. John’s last year, I can go on.

Reaction Score

"If you're good at something 10% of the time that means you're good!"
Tyler Polley is a career 37% 3 point shooter, even if we define his bad games as any time he shot below his career average that's 66/112 games. That's nowhere close to 10% good games

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I think we're a bad shooting team. I agree 3-21 is unlikely to happen regularly, but I doubt you see Villanova ever shoot that badly.
Nova just shot 13-50 against cuse ( 26% ) and still win by 14. Because they don’t beat themselves in other aspects of game.

Reaction Score
Auburn is a great team. We were lucky to win that after pissing away a lead . Usually we piss away leads late for a loss. See last night. Or Mich state or creighton BET or St. John’s last year, I can go on.
We weren’t lucky. We deserved to win. We were the better team. Late game management is an issue. There’s no disagreement there. Where I push back is on the notion that every loss is a bad loss. Had we loss clearly by 10 would it have been a better loss? I don’t understand the way of thinking. Disappointing? Yes. But acting as if WV is a “bad” team is unfounded. They’ve shown nothing this year for anyone to believe they’re a bad team. Unproven? Yes. But bad? Show me the proof.

Also, if we’re saying that every game we have a chance to win and don’t win is a bad loss, then we need to come to the conclusion that every loss the rest of the year will be a bad loss. We will have a chance to win every game. We’re that good in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I am one of TPs biggest defenders. But Tyler has definitely underwhelmed this year. He was brilliant against Auburn. But he missed way too many good open shots. He simply has to knock those down at a higher clip. Given the number of good looks he has been getting his percentage should b going up not down.

He needs to figure it out because he is not shooting anywhere near capabilities.

Reaction Score
Sure, but
a. Rashad was ridiculously clutch, and
b. He didn't get to his 38.6% by being incredible in a small handful of games, and bad in most others. He consistently shot well.

In the last 2 years Polley has had 3 games where he was incredible and pretty much won us the game, and then 29 games where he averaged 28% from three. If people want to use the word good to define that, OK.
Yes, in the last 2 years Polley's shooting has regressed. But ESPN looks to have his stats wrong for last season. they show he shot 35% from three last season, but if you look at the game log he shot 40% from three.

You have to ignore reality in order to argue his isn't a good shooter by pretending his first three seasons where he shot 41%, 38%, and 40% from deep didn't happen.

Reaction Score
Entertaining watchable game.

Boy that Taz Sherman is a nice player.

Surprised we didn’t cover him better.

Reaction Score

It’s offensive you actually put him in the same sentence as Rashad. He has been the same player since day 1 like I said. Thanks for sharing the totals though so I didn’t have to look it up. Pretty telling that Rashad basically doubled his attempts in one less season lol.

He can have that percentage stat, anyone who follows this program understands he has a handful of great games a year and disappears the rest. It is what it is, glad he’s a Husky but I’ll never consider him one of the best shooters in program history

Reaction Score
Nova just shot 13-50 against cuse ( 26% ) and still win by 14. Because they don’t beat themselves in other aspects of game.
If we hit 26% we also win by close to double digits.

Reaction Score
Yes, in the last 2 years Polley's shooting has regressed. But ESPN looks to have his stats wrong for last season. they show he shot 35% from three last season, but if you look at the game log he shot 40% from three.

You have to ignore reality in order to argue his isn't a good shooter by pretending his first three seasons where he shot 41%, 38%, and 40% from deep didn't happen.
That page shows an average of percentages, which isn't accurate, because it doesn't factor in that each game had different numbers of shots. For the specific total averages it's rounding (1.7/4.8 not 2/5).. You have to divide the raw totals, which is why 35% is correct.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think there's a tendency in Hurley, and to be fair a large number of coaches at other schools, to coach these college players like an NBA coach might coach their players. That is, give them freedom to create. The problem is that these aren't NBA players, although some may eventually develop that level of skill. It's not reasonable expect that getting the ball inbounds, or creating a shot as the clock runs down is something that happens organically, especially down the stretch. Create some structure that they can rely on when the game is tense.
There is a necessary transition coming from AAU to college and hopefully the college coach teaches and implements an offensive system as well as a defensive one. We don't seem to have much in the way of an offensive system. I appreciate the emphasis on defense but as you point out, we don't seem to have that. WV throwing the 1-3-1 zone late in the game was a good example. Point guards should recognize what is happening and choose the option(s) that are practiced against those changes. If you know what your own team's weakness is it shouldn't be hard to figure out what your opponents will do. They're going to keep doing the same thing to you until you prove you can stop them. Flexibility.

Reaction Score
It’s offensive you actually put him in the same sentence as Rashad. He has been the same player since day 1 like I said. Thanks for sharing the totals though so I didn’t have to look it up. Pretty telling that Rashad basically doubled his attempts in one less season lol.

He can have that percentage stat, anyone who follows this program understands he has a handful of great games a year and disappears the rest. It is what it is, glad he’s a Husky but I’ll never consider him one of the best shooters in program history
Tell me you don't understand the difference between a logical argument and an emotional one without telling me you don't understand the difference.

Are you at least now willing to admit that it's not the 4+ year career that puts Polley in the top 5 for 3PT% all time at UConn?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

That's what I mean though, they shot 26% which is their version of a bad shooting night. That's almost double what our percentage was.

Reaction Score
Tell me you don't understand the difference between a logical argument and an emotional one without telling me you don't understand the difference.

Are you at least now willing to admit that it's not the 4+ year career that puts Polley in the top 5 for 3PT% all time at UConn?
Cute lingo. He can have the percentage. He’s not top 10 on makes or attempts. This top 5 is wrong, Shabazz should be there at 37.5% so Polley isn’t top 5 on percentage either. Could be by the end of the season

Attachments

• 625709ED-1E74-4720-925F-EA18729DD39C.png
    625709ED-1E74-4720-925F-EA18729DD39C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cute lingo. He can have the percentage. He’s not top 10 on makes or attempts. This top 5 is wrong, Shabazz should be there at 37.5% so Polley isn’t top 5 on percentage either. Could be by the end of the season
Makes or attempts alone don't determine the quality of the shooter.

If only we had a stat that took the two of them combined in order to give us a way to compare....

Reaction Score
We'll just disagree. He's a streaky shooter. BUt definitely a good one. You exclude anyone's good performances and they'll look bad. That's a weird way of judging someone's ability.
He looked a little unsure last night. And forced a few too, but at least he shot it. Not getting a shot in 30 seconds is inexcusable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom