We needed this tonite | The Boneyard

We needed this tonite

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well we just didnt appear to be sharp at the start of the game. 100 in a row and so much time off and we let our guard down. Something just didnt seem right tonite. Every game is a challenge and our losses after big win streaks to Nova St Johns and Stanford were unexpected. Tonites struggle may have appeared to be unexpected especially with a 17 pt lead. We werent finding ways to score. Phessa stepped up and we always seem to have someone else step up but for to long nobody else stepped up and when Phessa got her 4th foul we looked lost. We seemed to be content up to that point. Phessa would step up and bail us out. When Phessa got her 4th foul there was nobody to turn to. What was appearing to many as an easy win suddenly was turning into a panic. The pressure was on and it was hot. Things we never do wrong suddenly were going wrong.

We needed to experience this so we can learn how to deal with it. This was a learning experience, lesson learned and unlike in games before (Nova StJohns and Stanford) which were all losses this team found a way to win and keep the streak alive. We saw something tonite we havent seen from this team. They looked lost, scared and not confident. We need to correct this and move forward. We turned what couldve been a loss into a win. Lou found a way to score in second half and give her credit. Her shot wasnt falling but she battled through it and scored 17 pts. Tonite we grew up. Tonite we realize just like that we can lose and it aint as easy as the past 100 wins.

A team who was almost lights out from the outside has suddenly found the lights dimming from the outside. Alot of shots off the back of the rim from everybody. Tonites game was a game where everything seem to go wrong for UConn and everything went right for Tulane. Gotta give Tulane credit they played unconsciousness and UConn got caught with a big lead after a big win and almost seemed to relax and it almost got away from them . But once again they found a way out, a way to win.

So now Temple which is a good team with 20 wins. This will be a test especially with Kia on the bench for the next 2 weeks. All of a sudden some fans arent so optimistic. I am. I never thought we would lose tonites game. We may struggle against Temple but we will win. This team is different they keep finding ways to win.

Reaction Score
Hope the worst is over and we can start next game fresh.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Would this be considered a non-loss loss that Geno says is coming? I'll bet there are more than enough gems to show during film sessions to use that will get his point across.

However, need to remember, as Tony says, these kids were under more pressure than we realize to get to 100, especially as it was against SC, a quality team, so it's reasonable to think that they were both mentally and physically exhausted by it all.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Well we just didnt appear to be sharp at the start of the game. 100 in a row and so much time off and we let our guard down. Something just didnt seem right tonite. Every game is a challenge and our losses after big win streaks to Nova St Johns and Stanford were unexpected. Tonites struggle may have appeared to be unexpected especially with a 17 pt lead. We werent finding ways to score. Phessa stepped up and we always seem to have someone else step up but for to long nobody else stepped up and when Phessa got her 4th foul we looked lost. We seemed to be content up to that point. Phessa would step up and bail us out. When Phessa got her 4th foul there was nobody to turn to. What was appearing to many as an easy win suddenly was turning into a panic. The pressure was on and it was hot. Things we never do wrong suddenly were going wrong.

We needed to experience this so we can learn how to deal with it. This was a learning experience, lesson learned and unlike in games before (Nova StJohns and Stanford) which were all losses this team found a way to win and keep the streak alive. We saw something tonite we havent seen from this team. They looked lost, scared and not confident. We need to correct this and move forward. We turned what couldve been a loss into a win. Lou found a way to score in second half and give her credit. Her shot wasnt falling but she battled through it and scored 17 pts. Tonite we grew up. Tonite we realize just like that we can lose and it aint as easy as the past 100 wins.

A team who was almost lights out from the outside has suddenly found the lights dimming from the outside. Alot of shots off the back of the rim from everybody. Tonites game was a game where everything seem to go wrong for UConn and everything went right for Tulane. Gotta give Tulane credit they played unconsciousness and UConn got caught with a big lead after a big win and almost seemed to relax and it almost got away from them . But once again they found a way out, a way to win.

So now Temple which is a good team with 20 wins. This will be a test especially with Kia on the bench for the next 2 weeks. All of a sudden some fans arent so optimistic. I am. I never thought we would lose tonites game. We may struggle against Temple but we will win. This team is different they keep finding ways to win.

Reaction Score
While I agree with most of what Tonyc said in this thread vs his other certain one :cool:, the only point that I see differently is that we did not find a way to win this game. I think we hung on just long enough to get to the final buzzer. Had they been down and came back to win, then it would have felt like they found a way to win. But leading the entire game and by 17 points to boot and eeking it out by 3 feels more like hanging on by a thread.

I really thought we were in trouble had the game been 1 minute longer.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Would this be considered a non-loss loss that Geno says is coming? I'll bet there are more than enough gems to show during film sessions to use that will get his point across.

However, need to remember, as Tony says, these kids were under more pressure than we realize to get to 100, especially as it was against SC, a quality team, so it's reasonable to think that they were both mentally and physically exhausted by it all.

It's very likely that we had a letdown after the big win over the Gamecocks. It's human nature to relax a little returning to the same AAC schedule and array of teams you always blow away by 40+ points. We beat Tulane by over 40 points in the first meeting. With or without Nurse, why wouldn't the team experience a combination of a letdown and maybe even a little overconfidence? These AAC glorified scrimmage games don't do much to help us improve. It's too easy to blow almost every team in the league away.

It shows that 101 straight or not, Geno's players are not robots. They're human, and as such they can screw up just like any other teams. It was a great wake up call and probably came at a great time. It's a little humbling and lets the team know that they're still not invincible, even against some of the better AAC teams. It may have been an important lesson learned that could propel them to new heights if they got the message. Geno and the coaching staff will insure that they do. Geno can talk about it happening, but last night's game gives his words a tangible meaning the players have now seen and experienced.

Reaction Score
Give this team a break u hear yourselves .. Seriously 101 wins straight.. Beginning of the season most experts thought 4-5 losses and a lot of answers unknown. This team is unbeaten proven everyone wrong so far. A team with absolutely no depth and foul trouble and key injuries away from disaster. We won by 3 points... Did we lose? Did we win by 40 ... No we didn't. As UCONN fans we become very spoiled. We're expected to win every game by 40 win every national title ... Not going to happen. We all panic when we don't play perfect. The season has been long and players are finally starting to see it... Playing way to many minutes and there bodies are staring to wear down... It happens. Nights will happen when the ball just won't go in... Foul trouble .. Other team is playing out of there minds... It happens. The fact is they pulled it out. Everyone needs to relax UCONN will be fine... It's no guarantee UCONN will win it all ... Let's just enjoy what they have done and realize there are at least 10 teams that can win it all... This years tourney is going to be exciting ... No need to panic we will be fine lose or win!!

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
It's very likely that we had a letdown after the big win over the Gamecocks. It's human nature to relax a little returning to the same AAC schedule and array of teams you always blow away by 40+ points. We beat Tulane by over 40 points in the first meeting. With or without Nurse, why wouldn't the team experience a combination of a letdown and maybe even a little overconfidence? These AAC glorified scrimmage games don't do much to help us improve. It's too easy to blow almost every team in the league away.

It shows that 101 straight or not, Geno's players are not robots. They're human, and as such they can screw up just like any other teams. It was a great wake up call and probably came at a great time. It's a little humbling and lets the team know that they're still not invincible, even against some of the better AAC teams. It may have been an important lesson learned that could propel them to new heights if they got the message. Geno and the coaching staff will insure that they do. Geno can talk about it happening, but last night's game gives his words a tangible meaning the players have now seen and experienced.

Attachments

• web1_UConn-Tulane-CMYK.jpg
    web1_UConn-Tulane-CMYK.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 58
Reaction Score
Give this team a break u hear yourselves .. Seriously 101 wins straight.. Beginning of the season most experts thought 4-5 losses and a lot of answers unknown. This team is unbeaten proven everyone wrong so far. A team with absolutely no depth and foul trouble and key injuries away from disaster. We won by 3 points... Did we lose? Did we win by 40 ... No we didn't. As UCONN fans we become very spoiled. We're expected to win every game by 40 win every national title ... Not going to happen. We all panic when we don't play perfect. The season has been long and players are finally starting to see it... Playing way to many minutes and there bodies are staring to wear down... It happens. Nights will happen when the ball just won't go in... Foul trouble .. Other team is playing out of there minds... It happens. The fact is they pulled it out. Everyone needs to relax UCONN will be fine... It's no guarantee UCONN will win it all ... Let's just enjoy what they have done and realize there are at least 10 teams that can win it all... This years tourney is going to be exciting ... No need to panic we will be fine lose or win!!

You just hit a home run with your comment. Whoops wrong sport!

You got about 5 1/2 top players on this team. Once in a while the bench will be supportive. But the bench on this team cannot come in and provide a boost to this team without missing a beat.

Many years ago, on the Boston Celtics, there was a player by the name of Bill Sharman. He was rated as the best 6th man in the league. When Red put him in, it was like nothing changed and usually he provided more of a threat than the starter he replaced. Gabby and Napheesa did this last year.

This team right now is very fragile. Frankly, I am looking forward more to next year when Stevens and Comara are introduced into the line up. In so far as the freshman are concerned, one or two of them may "get it" and step up so we could have a couple more "1/2's" available.

Reaction Score
UConn is the ultimate team. You take one part away, and it's just not the same. The chemistry is not the same, the leadership is not the same, and the feeling that we're all in this together is not the same when you have a starter who has never missed a game unable to come to your rescue.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UConn is the ultimate team. You take one part away, and it's just not the same. The chemistry is not the same, the leadership is not the same, and the feeling that we're all in this together is not the same when you have a starter who has never missed a game unable to come to your rescue.
Uconn has played and won games without a starter in the line up and sometimes won handily. One of the problems last night was that Uconn had two starters out when Collier had to sit so long. I wonder why Geno did not have them play a zone when Collier got in foul trouble and when Butler was in the game. Collier had to back off defense after her third foul. I agree with Tony that the team needed a game like that. I just hope the players are not running out of the energy demanded by the coaching staff. We experienced that in St. Louis about three seasons ago when the coach played his starters for most of the game for most of the season. SLU won 19 games in a row but, late in the season there were many squeakers and by tournament time they were worn out. They were projected to make the final four but lost after the first round. However, I believe the Temple game is coming at a good time. If Uconn plays a good game against them I believe they will show that they will be just fine going into the post season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And the hubris that seems to pervade the board
The recriminations on this board are reaching a fever pitch. Just imagine the posts had UConn lost.

A good part of the reason I frequent this board is the entertaining baloney (hubris) that fills many posts, my own included.

There is absolutely no harm in BY posters speculating about winning streaks, NPOY, championships, etc. If Geno & the players spent all their time speculating about such things, that would be a serious problem.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I attended the UNLV/San Diego St women's bb game last night, and have not seen a replay of the game yet. I was going to suggest the same thing you did in your post. I did find it interesting the diversity of observations and opinions that were posts after the game.

This game, more than any other AAC contest, exposed some things that the staff will address and clean up. No blaming, no finger pointing. Just address the issues from last night, and get ready for post season play.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No doubt that the staff will address the problems that were exposed last night. My concern is how the players respond to those issues. For instance, if the Huskies have a small lead late in the game on Wed night, I can guarantee you that Temple will foul Danger. Will she bury her foul shots or react to the pressure and miss?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Danger must hit more FT's, otherwise she is a serious liability in a close game. Teams will simply foul her to get the ball back.

Was she a good FT shooter in HS? She hasn't shot enough of them this season to form any conclusion about how good or bad she is. Unfortunately, a lot of them have come late in games when she's going to be tired. Her deep shots from the field have a lot of high arc on them. If she's shooting FTs the same way they'll have a tendency to bounce off the rim unless they're dead on accurate.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Was she a good FT shooter in HS? She hasn't shot enough of them this season to form any conclusion about how good or bad she is. Unfortunately, a lot of them have come late in games when she's going to be tired. Her deep shots from the field have a lot of high arc on them. If she's shooting FTs the same way they'll have a tendency to bounce off the rim unless they're dead on accurate.
Good question. I do know that Danger was a good shooter in HS, the thought being that if you can shoot jump shots with someone guarding you, you ought to be able to make an unguarded shot from 15 ft.

Reaction Score
I thought Danger looked like a deer in the headlights. I am not even talking about her free throw shooting. The best plays I have seen her make this season have stemmed from some penetration and dishing or scoring. Now, obviously I have no insight into the gameplan for lastnight's game. However, usually when a team's point guard stands around the perimeter and either passes the ball, or waits for it, stagnation occurs. No, the shots are also not falling right now, but huskies are also not getting to the line. Now, if you want me to believe that suddenly Tulane can play defense on par with the huskies, then who am I disagree. Right now teams are just anticipating Phees and Gabby flashing to the basket. A little guard penetration , with a dish will change that. Saniya also took shots when open, but showed no aggression. This is where huskies miss Kia. She forces the issue. Let's also not forget how many wild shots thrown up by Tulane went in. Practice should very interesting for awhile.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought Danger looked like a deer in the headlights. I am not even talking about her free throw shooting. The best plays I have seen her make this season have stemmed from some penetration and dishing or scoring. Now, obviously I have no insight into the gameplan for lastnight's game. However, usually when a team's point guard stands around the perimeter and either passes the ball, or waits for it, stagnation occurs. No, the shots are also not falling right now, but huskies are also not getting to the line. Now, if you want me to believe that suddenly Tulane can play defense on par with the huskies, then who am I disagree. Right now teams are just anticipating Phees and Gabby flashing to the basket. A little guard penetration , with a dish will change that. Saniya also took shots when open, but showed no aggression. This is where huskies miss Kia. She forces the issue. Let's also not forget how many wild shots thrown up by Tulane went in. Practice should very interesting for awhile.
Excellent points. Maybe the worst stat from last night's game was that the Husky team which was on pace to set the all-time assist record had a season low 11 assists.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Danger must hit more FT's, otherwise she is a serious liability in a close game. Teams will simply foul her to get the ball back.

Between Gabby and Crystal Dangerfield - 3 of 10 FT. Gabby usually 70% ? Crystal Dangerfield too small of a sample size.

Regardless, a win with many things for Geno to roll into practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom