We needed this tonite | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We needed this tonite

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought Danger looked like a deer in the headlights. I am not even talking about her free throw shooting. The best plays I have seen her make this season have stemmed from some penetration and dishing or scoring. Now, obviously I have no insight into the gameplan for lastnight's game. However, usually when a team's point guard stands around the perimeter and either passes the ball, or waits for it, stagnation occurs. No, the shots are also not falling right now, but huskies are also not getting to the line. Now, if you want me to believe that suddenly Tulane can play defense on par with the huskies, then who am I disagree. Right now teams are just anticipating Phees and Gabby flashing to the basket. A little guard penetration , with a dish will change that. Saniya also took shots when open, but showed no aggression. This is where huskies miss Kia. She forces the issue. Let's also not forget how many wild shots thrown up by Tulane went in. Practice should very interesting for awhile.
Did you see how many foul shots Uconn took last night and missed? They missed enough to give them a comfortable win. Don't blame Dangerfield. Put Butler in there for the last few seconds. No one on Tulane was tall enough to prevent her from receiving an inbounds pass. She is a better free throw shooter and is not a freshman.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
SC is displaying some of the post UConn game syndrome - 25-26 Missouri 2:44 to go 2d quarter.

Reaction Score
The major point I was trying to make was that Dangerfield and Chong had 3 assists between the two of them. That is not uconn basketball. Yes 19- 28 is subpar free throw shooting. But, we did not see the usual ball movement. A lot of 1 or 2 passes, then jump shooting.

Reaction Score
Excellent points. Maybe the worst stat from last night's game was that the Husky team which was on pace to set the all-time assist record had a season low 11 assists.
Amen oldude !

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The major point I was trying to make was that Dangerfield and Chong had 3 assists between the two of them. That is not uconn basketball. Yes 19- 28 is subpar free throw shooting. But, we did not see the usual ball movement. A lot of 1 or 2 passes, then jump shooting.
I am not going to mention any of their 2 names, but one shot terribly, and the other was not aggressive enough to drive to the basket.

Reaction Score
We did need a game like this even tho I was nervous, I love the gut it out win and I just had to gathered myself after the game and tell myself we didn't have our leader and starting point guard in Kia Nurse with a short bench. These ladies are fatigue after a tough game against South Carolina and a long week. Trust me Uconn will bounce back.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Assists and turnovers.. Awful yesterday night.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No doubt that the staff will address the problems that were exposed last night. My concern is how the players respond to those issues. For instance, if the Huskies have a small lead late in the game on Wed night, I can guarantee you that Temple will foul Danger. Will she bury her foul shots or react to the pressure and miss?

Three thoughts here.....
1. Temple is a much better team than Tulane (better overall W-L record ranked #2 in the AAC), and may be able to duplicate Tulane's efforts in trying to disrupt UConn's ebb & flow during the game.

2. How will UConn respond to that "Wake up" call Saturday? Do they return to their old form, and look /play like the team that beat Baylor, or do they stand fast, and reprise their efforts in Saturday's game? In the last few seconds of a game, If UConn is winning, Geno will put his hand up, signifying that no more plays be run. If he didn't raise his hand, then Crystal runs a play.

3. I remember Gabby's horrendous FT shooting pct her freshman year. She improved her FT shooting over the following summer. I suspect Dangerfield will do the same. Crystal will shoot a lot of free throws before, during and after practice between now and Wednesday's game. No doubt Crystal was a little nervous. Under a minute to go, and the game is still in question. The "ice water" has not begun to flow through her veins yet. Crystal so much wants to help her team win games. This is not as easy as she perhaps thought it would be. I'm reminded of a statement she made in an interview earlier this season. She said "nothing she did or experienced during high school, AAU or Olympic play, prepared her for the practice sessions, and what she's expected to do at UConn.
It appears that Crystal has not completely made the transition to D-1 collegiate women's basketball yet (though she is close). Crystal will be fine next year. I'll be shocked and surprised if she is not the starting PG next season, with a game that is devoid of the mistakes and errors in judgement she has now.

Carnac

Reaction Score
We did need a game like this even tho I was nervous, I love the gut it out win and I just had to gathered myself after the game and tell myself we didn't have our leader and starting point guard in Kia Nurse with a short bench. These ladies are fatigue after a tough game against South Carolina and a long week. Trust me Uconn will bounce back.

That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger. This game helped to prepare the Huskies for post season play more than any other AAC game this year. UConn was forced to play hard until the final buzzer, without pause or fatigue. The pressure was on for 40 minutes. If Collier's work ethic and predictability has not been proven after this game, it won't be. It was just another day at the office for Collier.

Any talk or discussion(s) about potential All-Americans, had better include Naphessa Collier's name. She's been as steady and dependable as any of the other top AA candidates. This game showed Geno exactly what he's got going into March. These types of games exhibit and build character. We needed this game. I fully expect they'll get another one Wednesday. Temple is currently ranked #2 in the AAC. They just knocked off USF 77-71 Sunday.

Reaction Score
That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger. This game helped to prepare the Huskies for post season play more than any other AAC game this year. UConn was forced to play hard until the final buzzer, without pause or fatigue. The pressure was on for 40 minutes. If Collier's work ethic and predictability has not been proven after this game, it won't be. It was just another day at the office for Collier.

Any talk or discussion(s) about potential All-Americans, had better include Naphessa Collier's name. She's been as steady and dependable as any of the other top AA candidates. This game showed Geno exactly what he's got going into March. These types of games exhibit and build character. We needed this game. I fully expect they'll get another one Wednesday. Temple is currently ranked #2 in the AAC. They just knocked off USF 77-71 Sunday.
I disagree with temple staying close for the fact Geno would have these girls back to playing the way we are capable of playing after a poor showing Saturday. Besides they are playing home and will be ready to show the fans, media and Tulane the reason they are #1 and undefeated going for their 5th straight. But I think it was just one of those weeks where games be close and top teams get upset. That usually happens once a year

Reaction Score
I disagree with temple staying close for the fact Geno would have these girls back to playing the way we are capable of playing after a poor showing Saturday. Besides they are playing home and will be ready to show the fans, media and Tulane the reason they are #1 and undefeated going for their 5th straight. But I think it was just one of those weeks where games be close and top teams get upset. That usually happens once a year

I like your point about this is the time of year is cwhere we see upsets of top teams. Look at the rest of the top 10. We forget its a long season, that these are student athletes that have school to also contend with, and maybe emotionally are also a bit tired. No excuses but the name of the game is win by +1 or +40. I would bet if we face Tulane in the conference tourney we win by at least 20... Last year was also different because after the big 3 you still had Lou, Pheese and Gabby coming off the bench at different times (although Lou was mostly starter) to contribute albeit not at this years level but still impactful.

Reaction Score
After the Florida State game , i told my wife every game is going to be a street fight , that hasnt happened up till now , i think the rest of the season will be, got to be nasty from now till the end , get em girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score

You were right CTisballers, Geno had them playing like they are capable of. A 180 degree turn-a-round from Saturday. I recognized these players tonight. I don't know who the ladies were that took the floor at Tulane Saturday. Take a bow. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom