We need a big man. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We need a big man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Although freshman year all he was asked to do was rebound and play defense so it's tough to tell what he could have done if he asked to do more. But sophomore year he was a much better offensive player.
Guess we'll agree to disagree. I'd say he improved somewhat his sophomore year, and then regressed or stayed the same his junior year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Plain and simple- Calhoun made HUGE strides in our ex-bigs development. It was unreal. Gavin Edwards a bust?? His senior year he was a double-double machine. One of the best defensive players in the country. Josh Boone- JOSH freakin BOONE- left after 3 years and got drafted 23rd! And we didn't recruit big men well in the past? Oh okay. Charlie Vill was the #3 prospect out of high school...

Calhoun was the reason. It's a damn shame that he didn't teach KO how to improve big men while he gave him his lessons the last few years. I fear we will never see a competent big man again.

Kevin Ollie was not responsible for big man coach, Patrick Sellers leaving the program. Patrick, who was later found to be innocent of any wrongdoing, was replaced on Calhoun's staff by a guard coach. Calhoun hired Ollie and Miller. He set the precedent for all guard coaches after Sellers left.

Gavin Edwards averaged 10.6 points and 6.5 rebounds his senior year.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
You are leaving out Natambu Willingham, Antric Klaiber, Michael Bradley, Justin Brown, Jonathan Mandeldove, Marc Suhr, Uri Cohen-Mintz.

Act like we have ALWAYS successfully brought in development Bigs and done it well. We haven't. And I would say most other top 40 programs haven't either. Enoch may still arrive; I trust you see his athleticism exceeds the above list. And Ochefu of Villanova last year? Not very good til his Senior year. This is the way it goes.
To me, posts like this are just the usual people going SOOOO far out of their way to either play contrarian or just cant stand to hear any criticism.

It is a FACT, UConn men's basketball during Calhoun's era was nationally known for its big men and interior game.

FACT: UConn led the NATION in shots blocked for 8 straight years. That is absolutely insane.

These are both signs of elite front courts, the second fact is really all I need to know to make up my mind. Are you trying to say no other program has the occasional player below All-American standards? Does Duke bat 100% with their centers? By national standards, we are in the 1% over the last quarter century in terms of front court production, defensive ability and toughness. There is no arguing this, your Wikipedia researched list is seriously a moot point.

Reaction Score
He won't be. I promise. He looks exactly like the bigs we've recruited for the last 5 years. I hope to god that he proves me wrong but I've been shown nothing to make me think otherwise.

His scouting report is actually nothing like any big we have recently signed. I am tempering my expectations because he is not highly rated (even though he did have solid offers). But, I like hearing that he has a post game, is a great rebounder and especially that he can pass out of the high low. The lack of this particular skillset kills us versus zones. His downside is that he isn't a very good athlete but once again, this is a different style of post player than we have signed in a while.

"A massive space eater but someone with improving ball skills and a back to the basket game, the Carolina native, who will suit up at DeMatha for the second straight year alongside top-50 wing DJ Harvey, had it all clicking during his three game stretch. Not only was he the best rebounder in the entire gym but he also displayed great value as a high-low frontcourt piece that is a much underrated passer of the basketball. Throw in his rim protecting services and quality motor in tracking down loose balls and it would seem that the interior producer has taken his game to the next level."

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
To me, posts like this are just the usual people going SOOOO far out of their way to either play contrarian or just cant stand to hear any criticism.

It is a FACT, UConn men's basketball during Calhoun's era was nationally known for its big men and interior

BU, you don't remember when we were known for our donut offense? (Good , all-around with nothing in the center)
Meka changed that and brought blocks to our team and offense to our center position.
Those centers that lacked offense in the eighties and nineties, were all tough and worked hard on defense (Sellers, Knight, Cyrulik, even Make) But we were not known as a team built significant offense from our center position.
For most of 2002 to 2012 we had some really strong Bigs, and created that most blocks streak. But that is not our biggest claim to fame.

Reaction Score
BU, you don't remember when we were known for our donut offense? (Good , all-around with nothing in the center)
Meka changed that and brought blocks to our team and offense to our center position.
Those centers that lacked offense in the eighties and nineties, were all tough and worked hard on defense (Sellers, Knight, Cyrulik, even Make) But we were not known as a team built significant offense from our center position.
For most of 2002 to 2012 we had some really strong Bigs, and created that most blocks streak. But that is not our biggest claim to fame.

UConn had so many identities under JC and he made them all work, pressing/trapping, uptempo, half court, swing man dominate, big man dominate, point guard dominate, ect. That is his genius.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
A 10 year streak in which we won half of our titles as well as our most dominant teams (in my opinion) and most prolific period for NBA draft production can't be overlooked. Maybe dominant bigs didn't define us in the 10 year period before that, but it doesn't change our peak. We peaked under dominant bigs for a reason.

Also all those names you brought up, they didn't define us during that era but those guys are still light years ahead of what we are trying to make due with at the moment, and the last 3 years as well.

Reaction Score
Boone never improved that much at all.

You know that is fair to say but I think it points too how mature he was as a freshman. He was one of those "intelligent" guys we need and speak of. Was always around the ball, great nose for it even as a freshman. Tap ins, big cutbacks, defensively really solid with some blocked shots. And you could throw it to him as he could pass it. Never had any great moves or even a go-to move but good enough around the basket to command some attention.

Take him in a second.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Plain and simple- Calhoun made HUGE strides in our ex-bigs development. It was unreal. Gavin Edwards a bust?? His senior year he was a double-double machine. One of the best defensive players in the country. Josh Boone- JOSH freakin BOONE- left after 3 years and got drafted 23rd! And we didn't recruit big men well in the past? Oh okay. Charlie Vill was the #3 prospect out of high school...

Calhoun was the reason. It's a damn shame that he didn't teach KO how to improve big men while he gave him his lessons the last few years. I fear we will never see a competent big man again.

It's a damn shame that you can't see the difference in Josh Boone and Amida Brimah. Did you watch Josh his freshman year? He was a key factor immediately, hardly anything of his impact was on JC until later he was ready. It was the fact he came in with some fundamental ability, a good basketball IQ which made it easy to work with and help improve. Josh Boone as a freshman was light years ahead in natural basketball instincts than Brimah is now, Facey too. Gavin Edwards also a fundamentally sound kid who needed to mature and did to the point of being a good player his Jr year and really solid kid his senior year. I'm not saying there isn't a difference in JC's ability vs KO he may have been a little better as well as his staff in developing. But he wouldn't have been able to do anything more with AB or KF because the instincts aren't there and you don't teach that it comes with the player.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Boone never improved that much at all.
Boone became a much better passer and showed dramatic improvement in foul shooting until he stopped using that routine that he or someone developed. He became really good at catching and finishing on the break and I think he became a better shot blocker over time. I think he did improve significantly, but maybe not in the way many of us hoped he might (i.e. scoring the ball).

Reaction Score
For what it's worth I liked the unheralded 2018 big on Brewster this year. We seem to know that school pretty well. 6' 9" Lithuanian kid who is built, rebounds and is physical. I only saw one game...but was thinking would be nice to recruit a kid like this with a good base and respectable skill set.

Reaction Score
You are leaving out Natambu Willingham, Antric Klaiber, Michael Bradley, Justin Brown, Jonathan Mandeldove, Marc Suhr, Uri Cohen-Mintz.

Act like we have ALWAYS successfully brought in development Bigs and done it well. We haven't. And I would say most other top 40 programs haven't either. Enoch may still arrive; I trust you see his athleticism exceeds the above list. And Ochefu of Villanova last year? Not very good til his Senior year. This is the way it goes.
You are old enough to remember when Calhoun was criticized for not being able to coach big men. The fact is there aren't a lot of ready to play big men out there and the good ones are recruited by everyone. You really have to get a little lucky with big men.

Reaction Score
You are old enough to remember when Calhoun was criticized for not being able to coach big men. The fact is there aren't a lot of ready to play big men out there and the good ones are recruited by everyone. You really have to get a little lucky with big men.

Thanks Danzz

Reaction Score
You know that is fair to say but I think it points too how mature he was as a freshman. He was one of those "intelligent" guys we need and speak of. Was always around the ball, great nose for it even as a freshman. Tap ins, big cutbacks, defensively really solid with some blocked shots. And you could throw it to him as he could pass it. Never had any great moves or even a go-to move but good enough around the basket to command some attention.

Take him in a second.
Oh without a doubt. He was so good immediately that he pushed Villanueva to bench even though he was a top 10 recruit.

Reaction Score
Whew! Thank heaven we don't need to look for front court space eaters with solid bodies and good hands who can catch at least half of the passes thrown to them in the post without being tossed into the 9th row. But I just can't figure out why our gazelles keep getting abused game after game. Let's look for skinnier shot blockers that can run.

Reaction Score

It is a FACT, UConn men's basketball during Calhoun's era was nationally known for its big men and interior game.

FACT: UConn led the NATION in shots blocked for 8 straight years. That is absolutely insane.

These are both signs of elite front courts, the second fact is really all I need to know to make up my mind. Are you trying to say no other program has the occasional player below All-American standards? Does Duke bat 100% with their centers? By national standards, we are in the 1% over the last quarter century in terms of front court production, defensive ability and toughness. There is no arguing this, your Wikipedia researched list is seriously a moot point.

OK OK ... Jim Calhoun is not coming back.

All you have got here is that Amida Brimah is approximately the same player - with minor level of improvement - in the years since the National Championship. I basically pointed out that the Facey development is more typical - even in the Calhoun years - than Okafor, Thabeet etc. Enoch still has a chance; Durham and Carlton.

You haven't proven anything except you can whine and be a world-class CT curmodgeoun.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
A 10 year streak in which we won half of our titles as well as our most dominant teams (in my opinion) and most prolific period for NBA draft production can't be overlooked. Maybe dominant bigs didn't define us in the 10 year period before that, but it doesn't change our peak. We peaked under dominant bigs for a reason.

Also all those names you brought up, they didn't define us during that era but those guys are still light years ahead of what we are trying to make due with at the moment, and the last 3 years as well.

Not arguing. Calhoun was great with and without a center that played offense. Also agree we could use a Rod Sellers on this team. I just thought I remembered we graduated around the same time and thought you forgot wing U.

But I would never include 2014 in that era
1) Calhoun wasn't coach
2) We did not have a dominant center. We won with a center who is the example of not strong offensively and a stretch four.
So we won two championships in that era and one of those was because of Kemba, not our center
I think you are stretching when you say we are known for our bigs or that most of our championships based on that.

Reaction Score
"Bigs"
1999 - Voskuhl and Freeman, Good, not dominant.
2004 - Okafor and Boone, Absolutely dominant
2011 - Oriakhi/Okwandu - Not dominant.
2014 - Brimah/Daniels - Not dominant.

"Guards"
1999 - El-Amin, Rip - dominant.
2004 - Gordon, Rashad - dominant.
2011 - Kemba, Lamb - dominant.
2014 - Shabazz/Boatright - Dominant.

Add the FF in 2009 - and Thabeet/Adrien were dominant, but so were Dyson/Price.

We had a 10 year run of having some really good shot blockers and guys that could grab boards. Arguing that it's the big men that made UConn is just wrong. As good as Freeman, Okafor, Adrien, and Thabeet were, not a single one led the team in scoring. They provided a defensive presence, needed scoring and boards, but the guards: El-Amin, Gordon, Rip, Rashad, Kemba, Shabazz, Boatright are as, if not more, responsible for UConn's run.

Did I mention Ray Allen or Chris Smith?

This team would be far better with a PF who could grab 9/10 boards a game. But UConn's guards have been as important, if not more important than any other spot on the floor in establishing us as a national program.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
BU, I realize (now) you were not counting 2014 . But 2011 was the year of Kemba not Alex.

We won one NC based on a dominant center..

Reaction Score
BU, I realize (now) you were not counting 2014 . But 2011 was the year of Kemba not Alex.

We won one NC based on a dominant center..
Who wouldn't have been able to do it without Ben Gordon (averaged over 18 points/game) and Rashad Anderson hitting daggers so teams couldn't double team down low.

Reaction Score
Boy, Emeka and Thabeet have been luxuries for this fanbase.

Prior to them, we died for big men. We recruited the same kind of big men we are recruiting now, people like Voskuhl. Only they panned out.

Think about it, Calhoun recruited guys like Souleymane Wane, Okwandu, Gavin Edwards, Josh Boone, Hilton Armstrong, Tyler Olander, etc. None of these guys had the top pedigree. Some of them were as unheralded as Amida Brimah. Others were like Enoch and Phil Nolan.

The point is, UConn has had 2 stellar centers in all those decades since Calhoun arrived, and also several kids who developed (Boone, Armstrong, Voskuhl, Knight, etc.) but also during that time, it had a bunch of middling guys who were not central to the cause (Olander, Wane, Okwandu, Edwards, Brimah, Enoch, Cyrulik, Josh Brown, Willingham, Wolf, Hayward, Klaiber, Mandeldove, etc.)

There are a lot of big men who never became a Voskuhl on that list. A lot. Lack of big men development is what we've seen since Thabeet left town. But if we're honest, there were just as many undeveloped big men before Thabeet as afterward. The string from Voskuhl to Okafor to Boone and Armstrong to Thabeet made it seem like UConn could just keep developing them... but look at all the misses during that time.

Who do you blame? Josh Brown. One and done Andre Drummond, a real enigma. Or the bad luck of recruiting lower ranked big men. I mean, we lost Jesse Govan to Georgetown for heaven's sake, so forget about Diamond Stone.
A very long time ago we were a donut team in the middle but Calhoun changed all that. He had Okafor, Boone, Villanueva, Armstrong, White and Nelson all on the same team! That's five frontcourt players who are better than any of the frontcourt guys we have right now. Ed Nelson is also probably better than anything we have now.

Reaction Score
Oh without a doubt. He was so good immediately that he pushed Villanueva to bench even though he was a top 10 recruit.

Josh: 5.9 Pts, 5.8 Reb, 0.7 Ast Charlie: 8.9 Pts, 5.3 Reb, 0.7 Ast

Charlie's 5.3 rebs is amazing considering he spent all that time on the bench and out on the wing.

C

Chief00

Unless we get a Big one and done - I don't see another good Big as long as Glen is our Bigs coach. Most Bigs take awhile to develop and Glen's Bigs coaching just doesn't move the needle nor does Travis's S&C. At some point, even the casual fan needs to look at cold/hard results.

Reaction Score
Brimah has josh boone disease where you progressively get worse the longer you stay. Tyler Olander I believe suffered from the same disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom