We need a big man. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We need a big man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's face it, we never know what we're getting. Never knew it with Emeka, Thabeet, Voskuhl, Boone, or Armstrong.

The only guy who had any sort of high school reputation that he delivered on was Jeff Adrien. I can't remember another.

I will say this: if Josh Carlton turns into another Tim Coles, the whole tenor of the board will change on these issues.
Calhoun knew. Okafor was a stud right away, everyone in the country knew Charlie V was a stud, Thabeet blew up late in the process and he's a legit 7'2. I remember when some UConn players scrimmaged against Felton, McCants and May and Hasheem looked dominant. Boone was another late bloomer but was ready to play right away and was damn good as a freshman. It's silly you think Calhoun had no idea if these guys would be good.

Reaction Score
Calhoun knew. Okafor was a stud right away, everyone in the country knew Charlie V was a stud, Thabeet blew up late in the process and he's a legit 7'2. I remember when some UConn players scrimmaged against Felton, McCants and May and Hasheem looked dominant. Boone was another late bloomer but was ready to play right away and was damn good as a freshman. It's silly you think Calhoun had no idea if these guys would be good.

Sure, at the high school level, you can see the innate talent; you're a scout, a good one, and you find jewels (as Calhoun always did, lower ranked players who turned out great; he was better than anyone else at that). But then why did he recruit all the other kids who didn't develop? Ya see what I mean? Bill Belichcik is an excellent coach with an excellent eye for talent--doesn't mean he knows how it's going to turn out.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, after some discussions with people I respect - the thing that presents itself with the team this year - is a lack of a sense of urgency. We almost never have it starting a game and if it appears at all it's in the second half and we have a mountain to climb by then.

Even with the injuries guys need to regard their minutes as precious gifts and every possession is important.

What can be done about it? Let me open it up first to others and then I will give you my opinion. To the casual fan out there - there is no right or wrong answer - so feel free to comment.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We need a big who can be a bruiser down low. But I think what Ollie wants is for Vance, Durham, polley, larrier to be able to be those pick and pop players like Giffey and Daniels. I think who bazz and them played the second half of that season is how he wants to play. With that you need guards who can shoot and vital and Gilbert can do that. We do need a skilled big that can get 6-7 boards a game and can score

C

Chief00

We need a big who can be a bruiser down low. But I think what Ollie wants is for Vance, Durham, polley, larrier to be able to be those pick and pop players like Giffey and Daniels. I think who bazz and them played the second half of that season is how he wants to play. With that you need guards who can shoot and vital and Gilbert can do that. We do need a skilled big that can get 6-7 boards a game and can score

I like a healthy Gilbert - I wouldn't put him in a shooter's category yet.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, after some discussions with people I respect - the thing that presents itself with the team this year - is a lack of a sense of urgency. We almost never have it starting a game and if it appears at all it's in the second half and we have a mountain to climb by then.

Even with the injuries guys need to regard their minutes as precious gifts and every possession is important.

What can be done about it? Let me open it up first to others and then I will give you my opinion. To the casual fan out there - there is no right or wrong answer - so feel free to comment.

You may or may not consider this relevant but...a friend of mine who has attended a few UConn games with me is a body language expert. Basically she specializes in the science of non verbal communication.

The lack of urgency issue is very transparent to this expert. I understand all this could be met with great skepticism BUT positive first impressions (pre game) mean something. Reading body language is also important for lawyers and law enforcement.

My father a life long season ticket holder was also bedazzled by this analysis. I just think some vulnerabilities are showing on our coaching staff in particular and some players.

Anyways...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My father a life long season ticket holder was also bedazzled by this analysis.
bedazzled-head1.jpg

Reaction Score
Rick Mahorn clone? Forget the top 100 ranking, they have to be willing to elbow their opponent in the teeth, smile and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom