We knew you could do it, Miami | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We knew you could do it, Miami

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
You would think Miami already has a leg up on the competition by being an ACC school on the Florida coast. Apparently that's not enough.

Reaction Score
Shalala is gone. She was not a friend of the athletic dept there except for welcoming booster Nevin Shapiro w open arms.

Miami U basketball has been shady for a long time. Remember Durand Scott a 5-star SG from Kemba's HS who picked them over us. We got Lamb so no sour grapes.

Reaction Score
You do realize that their academic reputation is excellent. Right?
This is absolutely true. FSU is the Louisville of the Big 3 in terms of academics down here. Florida is very good as well.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Hey man, if it turns out that this shoe-money-to-players thing has been business-as-usual throughout the hoops landscape then the vast majority of P5 schools are gonna get whacked. And even though the AAC isn't technically considered P5, UConn is as big a player as anyone. As a Syracuse alum I'm not holding my breath that the Orange are completely clean and my advice to you guys would be the same.

That's a fair response, and there is a small part of me that has some mild concern things don't turn out roses for us. But I am not sweating anything at this point.

During the Ollie era, we have swung and missed on countless top 25 recruits, after seemingly coming very close or having a leg up on schools that ended up winning out despite no real connection or explainable reasoning. Calhoun may have some skeletons in the closet, but nothing that even comes close to this.

Here is what you need to worry about:
1) Bazley, a 5 star prospect flips to Syracuse seemingly out of the blue from Ohio State, a school that just fired their head coach for losing out on 5 star prospects in the same way Ollie does, apparently not willing to pay the game.

2) Andy Miller's computer just got raided and is the target of an FBI investigation. Notable clients: Malachi Richardson, Rakeem Christmas, and Chris McCullough, all of whom had a cup of coffee in that hell hole on their way to early entry and this ASM agency.

I don't think either of those situations turn out the way you hope. And oh by the way, Syracuse is already on probation...

Reaction Score
So a school which is on probabtion, is "eligible" for the death penalty if they are caught up in this scheme? If this is correct, would Miami also be looking at the death penalty?

I think Ville is dead, the NCAA needs to show some teeth here, but there could be more than 1 school in trouble. If my school was on probation, like Cuse, I'd be very worried.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So we sold the naming rights but not our soul, is how you view it. Some would say that’s not a valid distinction. I know the transaction and it’s inescapable we are no longer in the Big East. It’s semantics how we exited.

No, we really did not exit anything.

We stayed exactly in place because there was no other place for us.

The scenery changed, we didn't.

Reaction Score
Here is what you need to worry about:
1) Bazley, a 5 star prospect flips to Syracuse seemingly out of the blue from Ohio State, a school that just fired their head coach for losing out on 5 star prospects in the same way Ollie does, apparently not willing to pay the game.

2) Andy Miller's computer just got raided and is the target of an FBI investigation. Notable clients: Malachi Richardson, Rakeem Christmas, and Chris McCullough, all of whom had a cup of coffee in that hell hole on their way to early entry and this ASM agency.

I don't think either of those situations turn out the way you hope. And oh by the way, Syracuse is already on probation...

I agree on Bazley and also Tyus Battle. Battle was all set to go to Michigan and all of a sudden, he backed out and came to Syracuse.

Christmas? Nah, I don't think he was that kind of player coming out of HS. Richardson & MCCullough? I could see it but honestly I'd be surprised if Syracuse was moving that kind of money to recruits. They don't even pay their coaches commensurate with similar programs and they've 'just missed' on more than a few guys that were seemingly on the fence in recent years.

I realize SU is on probation, for something a lot less significant that what UNC was doing (without any ramifications thus far...) that had nothing to do with payouts.

Hell Hole? Listen, I hate Central NY as much as anyone and there was no way I was staying up there after I graduated but its not like anyone is comparing Storrs to Hawaii either.

Reaction Score
I agree on Bazley and also Tyus Battle. Battle was all set to go to Michigan and all of a sudden, he backed out and came to Syracuse.

Christmas? Nah, I don't think he was that kind of player coming out of HS. Richardson & MCCullough? I could see it but honestly I'd be surprised if Syracuse was moving that kind of money to recruits. They don't even pay their coaches commensurate with similar programs and they've 'just missed' on more than a few guys that were seemingly on the fence in recent years.

I realize SU is on probation, for something a lot less significant that what UNC was doing (without any ramifications thus far...) that had nothing to do with payouts.

Hell Hole? Listen, I hate Central NY as much as anyone and there was no way I was staying up there after I graduated but its not like anyone is comparing Storrs to Hawaii either.
I grew up in CT, went to UConn undergrad and have lived in upstate NY for longer than I want to admit. Rochester is paradise compared to Syracuse, never mind Storrs. Nice mall though.

Reaction Score
You do realize that their academic reputation is excellent. Right?

Not to be too OT but the way people perceive certain schools always fascinates me.

The ones I hear the most often that some people perceive to be bad but are actually very good schools (in no particular order):

UConn
Georgia
Florida
Ohio State
Texas A&M
BYU
Clemson
Virginia Tech

FSU, by the way, is no Harvard but it is also no Louisville...

Reaction Score

Storrs has four seasons. Hawaii can't boast that and.... Storrs is out of missile range of N. Korea. Hawaii can't boast that.

1HoErwq1QyaVuQeWoeOnPg.png

Last edited:
C

Chief00

That was a huge mistake. The casual fan would think much more highly of the American if it was called the Big East.
If someone did market research, I would think you would find the BE has a much stronger brand than the AAC.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
If someone did market research, I would think you would find the BE has a much stronger brand than the AAC.

Or you could note the Catholic schools paid 10s of millions for it.

But casual evaluators suggest market research first before making a conclusion

Reaction Score
We'll never know if the sale of the name was worth the money but I have a feeling the name would be really handy in the quest for a P6 designation. It is an old and established name like the other P5 conferences have.

My wife couldn't tell you the name of our conference now and every time she asks she says "UConn is in the Big East, right?" When I tell her American, she say's she never heard of it. Keep in mind, she travels to games with me and has tons of UConn shirts and hoodies etc. She just doesn't care enough to retain the name. Big East is ingrained and she isn't from CT. That has value.

Reaction Score
The BE does have brand recognition, but didn't fit the geographic footprint of the new league. I can hear the commentators making jokes now about it almost every week on espn if the game involved any of our western-most teams. Not a big issue, but just another negative to overcome...not worth it. Then you consider the millions they secured by selling it when they did. This was the big reason by far and especially knowing their revenues were going to be taking a big hit in the next few years... so overall, I looked at it as opportunistic and a good move.

Reaction Score
Those circles, are they larger than an angstrom in diameter? Because the bar you are setting is not very high.
Pretty sure he at least knows where Oakland is

Reaction Score
Hey man, if it turns out that this shoe-money-to-players thing has been business-as-usual throughout the hoops landscape then the vast majority of P5 schools are gonna get whacked. And even though the AAC isn't technically considered P5, UConn is as big a player as anyone. As a Syracuse alum I'm not holding my breath that the Orange are completely clean and my advice to you guys would be the same.

So now for the sake of a scandal, UConn isn't the lowly mid-major with no future anymore but as big a player as anyone. You toolbags really need to make up your minds.

Also, we're good dude you guys are the ones on probation and are gonna sweat this one out. Don't even try to put Ollie and his program in the same sentence with that nose picking weasel Boeheim. Beyond all the stuff that's gone public over the years (and that's more than enough), I've heard plenty of other stories from good sources about all the slimey stuff that goes on under Boeheim's watch. Where do you think Pitino learned all his shady tactics?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The fish rots at the head first. When your president is a back stabbing liar, what can one expect

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You could call the American the SEC and it wouldn't change "the brand".

It's all about the teams within the league.

Calling a 12 team league, with 1 original Big East team in each, when the teams are in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Florida, Kansas, etc. made no sense.

UConn could use the money more than what some of our in house "branding experts" would like to think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom