We got to make adjustments post-Atlantis… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We got to make adjustments post-Atlantis…

What’s the *most* important fix coming out of Atlantis?

• Adama passing out of double teams for the kick out 3

• breaking the full court press with better passing & dribbling

• need better inbounds plays that don’t end up in coffin corner

• get a second ball handler, develop Diggins now

• get Hawkins more minutes, …a lot more

Results are only viewable after voting.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
That's what he got in garbage minutes in our blowouts. If Hurley just gives him those garbage minutes again in these next two after what we saw from Gaff in Atlantis we'll have a reason to be upset. He needs real minutes.
Agree. If ever there was a time to give him minutes it's NOW. He needs a reasonable time to get used to being on the floor without worrying about a quick hook. We don't want to wait to see what he's got in the middle of conference play when someone gets injured. I think this a calculated risk with a lot of potential upside than doing same old same old. There are always going to be risks but some can be considered to have high payoff if they work and little downside if they don't. Can't always be rigid when you have someone with the potential of a Diggins. The more he plays the more confidence he will have. He's been considered a gamer prior to college and I believe in that kind of presence on the floor.

Reaction Score
This stubborness that head coaches have shows the difference between them and us fans. Dan H made it very clear in those interviews he doesn't think Diggins has earned the PT based on what Diggins has shown in practices.
His assertion is hard to fathom at times. Does that mean Whaley wasn't a good practice player before he was pressed into service...and then never left? And Bouk's slow(ish) assimilation - relative to his overall skill? And Sonogo wasn't a good practice player last year and then he vastly improved? I suspect all coaches talk about the "practice performance" stuff as a way to tamp down criticism.

Reaction Score
they are going to have to learn to trust the freshman to play more minutes.
Why? Because you know for a fact the results would have been different/better/worse?

More than anyone else, the coaches know who is capable of what. They know what they are trying to accomplish and how. They aren't infallible, and it's reasonable to question their decisions. But you and others are posting as if you know more then they do.

Reaction Score
I also think there's a difference (at least for me) between UMES/Grambling and Atlantis. I'll be a little annoyed if he doesn't get 5-10 minutes of real playing time this week, hard for me to be mad he wasn't thrown into the fire trying to break Auburn or VCU's press
This is where I am at. I didn't expect him to be inserted at Atlantis. He should get a little run these next two games however. Nothing crazy. Just a couple minutes here and there so it's not a complete baptism by fire once we get into conference play. It's a long season. Guys get injured, get in foul trouble. It's an investment in the future. The whole not ready thing against MES or Grambling St seems dubious for a top 60 recruit. To me it sounds like coach is not ready to give him time. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but if we continue to struggle from lack of ball handling or Cole starts wearing down... I hope he is flexible enough to make the adjustment. To me it was telling how reluctant DH was to playing Gaff and Akok in Atlantis. Was it a style of opponent thing or a lack of confidence, or a little of both? Time will tell. Regardless, with Samson and Diggins waiting in the wings as the season unfolds, Gaff and Akok have a lot to prove. Hope they do but am also glad we have talented alternatives hopefully getting better every day waiting in the wings for their opportunity.

Reaction Score
Why? Because you know for a fact the results would have been different/better/worse?

More than anyone else, the coaches know who is capable of what. They know what they are trying to accomplish and how. They aren't infallible, and it's reasonable to question their decisions. But you and others are posting as if you know more then they do.
It took the staff 3 months and injuries before they started Bouk.... Also took the Akok and Polley injuries to get Whaley pt and figure out that he was the best big on the roster at the time.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It took the staff 3 months and injuries before they started Bouk.... Also took the Akok and Polley injuries to get Whaley pt and figure out that he was the best big on the roster at the time.
This is something I think about a lot. I have to wonder if Bouk would've started had he not messed up before the season. The Whaley situation has to be a staff blunder.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is something I think about a lot. I have to wonder if Bouk would've started had he not messed up before the season. The Whaley situation has to be a staff blunder.

The Whaley situation is that he wasn't very good at anything except rebounding. He busted his tail to improve. Carlton was vastly better.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
I’m confident that adjustments will be made and while the team may struggle with the press from time to time I think they will solve it more times than not. We are 6-1 to start the season with a chance to be 10-1 or 9-2 entering conference play. I’m not ready to bitch and moan about anything yet.

Reaction Score
Hurley has admitted he messed up and had no idea Whaley could do this, but also took a ton of work from Whaley.

I tend to agree on Bouknight, he would have started earlier without the issues. Just looking at box scores it took about a month and a half for him to start once he played, and it was a pretty natural progression from 15-20 minutes off the bench to mid 20s to him starting and playing 30+ minutes. Seems like Hawkins is on the same track minutes wise so far too

Reaction Score
Hurley has admitted he messed up and had no idea Whaley could do this, but also took a ton of work from Whaley.

I tend to agree on Bouknight, he would have started earlier without the issues. Just looking at box scores it took about a month and a half for him to start once he played, and it was a pretty natural progression from 15-20 minutes off the bench to mid 20s to him starting and playing 30+ minutes. Seems like Hawkins is on the same track minutes wise so far too
There's no way of knowing if kids are good enough until you give them real minutes in games. There's sometimes a couple of kids at the end of the bench who don't really belong and are just practice players but Diggins and Samson clearly aren't that. They need to get more than garbage minutes, these next two games are important for that.

Slow playing it with guys like Bouknight and Hawkins is a strange strategy considering you know the max you'll have them for is two seasons. Hurley seems to lean towards veterans and has been open about not liking mistakes made on the court but when you have supreme talents you should live with the mistakes because what they bring to the table totally outweighs the mistakes. It's not like the veterans aren't making mistakes either.

I'm expecting the freshmen to play a lot tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom