We got to make adjustments post-Atlantis… | The Boneyard

We got to make adjustments post-Atlantis…

What’s the *most* important fix coming out of Atlantis?

• Adama passing out of double teams for the kick out 3

• breaking the full court press with better passing & dribbling

• need better inbounds plays that don’t end up in coffin corner

• get a second ball handler, develop Diggins now

• get Hawkins more minutes, …a lot more

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Hawkins

Easiest thing to fix while potentially being the most critical.

If he develops into a top 3 option that could be huge come tourney time.

Reaction Score
This not about just getting Hawkins on the floor. If he’s one of our elite shooters and right now the only other is Cole and sometimes Polley, they need to design screens and plays for him to take those shots. I‘d like to see him start and help us get over these slow starts which will eventually cost us.

Reaction Score
They’re all important, and this is a fun exercise, but I voted for breaking the full court press. After seeing what Auburn and VCU did to us, I have a feeling teams will now plan to heavily attack us with presses. Being able to counter that will be key, especially in our remaining two marquee OOC games.

Reaction Score
They’re all important, and this is a fun exercise, but I voted for breaking the full court press. After seeing what Auburn and VCU did to us, I have a feeling teams will now plan to heavily attack us with presses. Being able to counter that will be key, especially in our remaining two marquee OOC games.
Feel the same and voted the same. They are all valuable areas for improvement but our performance against the press was borderline incompetent. I’d like to see us not just break (survive) the press but attack it and make the other team pay. Alas, do we ha e the personnel? I hope some clever coaching can overcome that.

Reaction Score
I think the Hawkins thing is going to happen. It's just what they did with Bouk and Jackson (though his injury kinda made the progression happen all at once upon his return). So that may be most critical, but it was always the plan. Assuming the spirit of the question to be "what does the staff need to emphasize that they've learned so far", I voted for Diggins, because that may solve the press issue also.

Gaff's had 3 cracks at being the team's PG, tons of experience. And it just doesn't pass the eye test. He can't create an advantage when one doesn't exist already, and that's a fundamental job of a good PG. He can take advantage of an opening by driving or shooting, but in that way he's best off ball where someone can create that for him. So we need a backup PG (and a PG of the future), so let's use these next 2 gimmies to work on that.

Reaction Score
If I had to choose from the list above, I'd say more minutes for Hawkins. The faster he matures, the higher the ceiling is raised for this team.

Biggest fix is learning how to close out close games IMO-- coaches included. Hawkins TO in the Auburn game, Tyrese TO in MSU game (both in crunch time), late fouls, shot selection, play calling, etc. They did a better job in OT than regulation in Atlantis, but should have never been in those positions in the first place. They'll get better with more experience in those games.

Reaction Score
I think in simple basketball terms, inside outside play will make us dangerous. We have players that can make open 3s and since teams are sending 2 or 3 guys at Adama at one time, the floor spacing will allow for open looks. The teams in rotations will not be able to defend quick passes around the perimeter. Eventually, the fear of shot makers will allow for more traditional one on one battles down low that Adama would dominate. Jordan will happen anyway since he's too good to stay on the bench. Adama needs to adjust his game a bit.

Reaction Score
i think the 4th and 5th are the best choices just because we have a golden opportunity to get those guys a ton of minutes with two more cupcakes on the schedule.

number 1 is also critical, but i have to imagine that it will come with time -- it's the next most logical development for a player with a world of talent.

Reaction Score
Hurley won’t give up on Akok even though he was overmatched because his rebounding and blocking upside is too great. Maybe a switch goes off.

Reaction Score
2,3,5 will I think happen & are prob being worked on as we speak. Diggins May be a little behind from the injury, and we’ve seen (Jackson last year) how hard it is to catch up to the team, while they’re all progressing as well. Also worried at how quick teaching Adama to recognize & make the right read will be.

Reaction Score
Is this poll what I want to happen or what I think will happen. I guarantee DH and crew will work on breaking the press, reducing turnovers and not inbounding into a trap. I cannot guarantee Hawkins and or Diggins will get more minutes. In fact, I'd bet against it.

Reaction Score
Is this poll what I want to happen or what I think will happen. I guarantee DH and crew will work on breaking the press, reducing turnovers and not inbounding into a trap. I cannot guarantee Hawkins and or Diggins will get more minutes. In fact, I'd bet against it.
i would bet on hawkins getting more minutes. Diggins? idk

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
There may be more, but of these five, what’s most critical to address ? And why? (In comments)
The first four are excellent and in my opinion in that particular order. It would seem that getting Adama to develop the kick out pass is an absolute necessity since his skills on film are now known from here to China. That can and will undoubtedly be addressed asap out of necessity. The same goes with demonstrating to opponents that we can break and punish full court pressure. That's a matter of the right personnel on the court and training. Again, this is a necessity. Inbound plays (and defenses of them) are a matter of training. JC used to get one or two baskets on these every game. Just need the plays and the practice. Diggins is a point guard so getting him in the mix is going to be a plus despite Hurley's penchant for upperclassmen and limited rotation. Got to have remedies that work. I would like to see him in the fast break offense as well. More track meet basketball; use offense to wear out there defense. Better for the future as well. We owe the kid a chance just on his potential and the great recruiting assistance he has provided. There is no substitute for experience and there is no time like now to let him run. Finally, Hawkins just had 33 minutes and was great for those kind of games. He impressed me and he did not hurt his chances by jumping all over the gym and pulling down 14 boards. His skills need to be matched with the opponent on a game by game basis but he really is learning fast and developing confidence.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Avoid playing three tough teams in a 60 hour window

Develop Diggins
We played 3 TOUGH teams in 3 days, that said, having a 2nd ball handler helps break the press.

Everyone in Atlantis had 3 games in 3 days and most had injury issues going in to the tourney and had to deal with in tournament injuries and foul trouble.

The second ball handler is compounded by a second player who can run the offense. Gaff's ball handling was less a concern to me than was his inability to keep the half court offense moving and being productive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They are not mutually exclusive.

Work on all 5. That's what a coach and assistants are paid to do.

Motivated and compliant players help. So does a good BB IQ, which may not be an easily teachable skill.

If you are asked to pick one of out five as being the highest priority, then by definition they are mutually exclusive.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Tomorrow is a huge opportunity for Hurley to get both Diggins and Hawkins posts of minutes. Saturday you are going to want to give the starters some run in the final tuneup before WVU. If it doesn't happen tomorrow, doubt it will happen Saturday. But it needs to happen.

Also we need to take 25 3s in each of the next 2 games. Shooting is about confidence and we need to see the ball go through the net from deep after the final 2 games in the Bahamas. Will need the 3 ball vs WVU and in Big East play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom