We got to make adjustments post-Atlantis… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We got to make adjustments post-Atlantis…

What’s the *most* important fix coming out of Atlantis?

• Adama passing out of double teams for the kick out 3

• breaking the full court press with better passing & dribbling

• need better inbounds plays that don’t end up in coffin corner

• get a second ball handler, develop Diggins now

• get Hawkins more minutes, …a lot more

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
We probably don’t have the type of overall handlers at guard - DH

These comments are a bit unsettling. As if the guard situation is something outside DH's control.

The makeup of the team is entirely DH's responsibility. Furthermore, we have 3 pgs on the team. One senior who does a bunch of things well. Breaking ball pressure is not one of them. One junior who still struggles to secure the ball. One freshman who DH is uncomfortable playing. 3 scholarships utilized on PGs. Yet none of them are that "type of overall ball handler".

This is a pretty significant f&**-up. I hope some lessons are being learned by DH and crew.
Agreed to a point - hopefully the strategy and scheming, and practice can reduce this weakness.

Reaction Score

These comments are a bit unsettling. As if the guard situation is something outside DH's control.

The makeup of the team is entirely DH's responsibility. Furthermore, we have 3 pgs on the team. One senior who does a bunch of things well. Breaking ball pressure is not one of them. One junior who still struggles to secure the ball. One freshman who DH is uncomfortable playing. 3 scholarships utilized on PGs. Yet none of them are that "type of overall ball handler".

This is a pretty significant f&**-up. I hope some lessons are being learned by DH and crew.
When you cut off the 2nd half of the quote yeah it's a bit unsettling

Reaction Score
Better ball movement in general is the correct answer
Together with better body movement and hustle by the other players to be in a position to catch the passes thrown by the guards to release the defensive pressure.

So then, the players will have to come to the ball and come to their teammate with the ball so they can catch his pass. I am not talking about a senseless weave, but movement to get free for a shot or a cut towards the basket.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of Hurley's response re: Diggins. Maybe Diggins isn't ready and is a turnover machine under pressure in practice. Diggins is a game management guard rather than a speed break the press dribbler, maybe he would wilt under the defensive pressure. On the other hand, Gaffney did wilt, and Cole needed help that nobody was giving him. Diggins is on the team, should you really need to be 'in the rotation' on a regular basis in order to be called on to help when other guys are failing at your position in a particular game? Why? Coaches pull out all their starters at once when they come out flat, and they should. To me it is absurd to stay with players in a particular game when they are underperforming what they are capable of, just because they are 'in the rotation', unless the alternative is clearly not good enough. I'm not a fan of Hurley's stubbornness. Player after player has shown they can rise to the occasion and contribute when injury or other circumstance has forced Hurley to go to them. It kills me to see him keeping players with potential off the court. The Sanogo St Johns game last year still haunts me. Not having Hawkins on the court when we need a basket is starting to build frustration. We're going to get pressure from Marquette away this month, and I assume West Virginia away will show us pressure. Looks like we're going to wing it with guys that shouldn't be primary ball handlers.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of Hurley's response re: Diggins. Maybe Diggins isn't ready and is a turnover machine under pressure in practice. Diggins is a game management guard rather than a speed break the press dribbler, maybe he would wilt under the defensive pressure. On the other hand, Gaffney did wilt, and Cole needed help that nobody was giving him. Diggins is on the team, should you really need to be 'in the rotation' on a regular basis in order to be called on to help when other guys are failing at your position in a particular game? Why? Coaches pull out all their starters at once when they come out flat, and they should. To me it is absurd to stay with players in a particular game when they are underperforming what they are capable of, just because they are 'in the rotation', unless the alternative is clearly not good enough. I'm not a fan of Hurley's stubbornness. Player after player has shown they can rise to the occasion and contribute when injury or other circumstance has forced Hurley to go to them. It kills me to see him keeping players with potential off the court. The Sanogo St Johns game last year still haunts me. Not having Hawkins on the court when we need a basket is starting to build frustration. We're going to get pressure from Marquette away this month, and I assume West Virginia away will show us pressure. Looks like we're going to wing it with guys that shouldn't be primary ball handlers.
I think you're really reaching here, this is the same thing he's been saying since he got here. All he's saying is Diggins needs to earn his minutes and fight his way into the rotation. I don't see an issue with that

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a reach at all. Obviously, there is no issue with a guy earning his way into the regular rotation. Your one of the top 9 to get regular time, fine. He's saying he's not going to play a player that is not part of that regular rotation, even if a guy in that rotation isn't performing in a particular game. Further, he's going to scheme to break the press in the future with players that aren't strong ball handlers and not insert a player like Diggins to gain stronger ball security, presumably because he is deficient in defense or other ways. I think he made that clear. IF Diggins is capable of ball security against the press, I'd like that approach to be considered if we are turning the ball over.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a reach at all. Obviously, there is no issue with a guy earning his way into the regular rotation. Your one of the top 9 to get regular time, fine. He's saying he's not going to play a player that is not part of that regular rotation, even if a guy in that rotation isn't performing in a particular game. Further, he's going to scheme to break the press in the future with players that aren't strong ball handlers and not insert a player like Diggins to gain stronger ball security, presumably because he is deficient in defense or other ways. I think he made that clear. IF Diggins is capable of ball security against the press, I'd like that approach to be considered if we are turning the ball over.
I don't have remotely the same read of the quote as you, I think you're taking what you don't like about Hurley and projecting it onto his quote. Nothing in that quote implies he's burying guys on the bench and refusing to play them like you're saying

All I read that quote as is him saying he's not just going to insert Diggins to break the press when it's going to be a downgrade elsewhere. And when Diggins came in here everyone, including you, talked about him as a guy who would take time to adjust. So it doesn't seem crazy that now 7 games in he's not getting major minutes at PG

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Diggins can't earn some minutes against UMES that's a big problem. Dan shoulda known he needed to bring in a transfer pg then. Either way this isn't acceptable.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score

I don’t read him saying it’s out of his control- he just said what anyone with two eyeballs can see. Handling is clearly a weakness for this team.

Good for him for recognizing it, now let’s see how he can put players in position to minimize those weaknesses

Reaction Score
I don’t read him saying it’s out of his control- he just said what anyone with two eyeballs can see. Handling is clearly a weakness for this team.

Good for him for recognizing it, now let’s see how he can put players in position to minimize those weaknesses
Agreed

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yeah, this isn’t a big deal. The major mistake was Hurley not seeing how quickly teams would recognize it and adjust to press us more. This team is a press break machine is we stop trying to dribble up court. The length and athleticism is set to destroy anybody who presses it. It’s just tactical adjustments they need to make. They can no longer inbound to Cole, turn around and ignore him. Send Sanogo down court and then nobody else goes past half court. The 4 stands at center court the wings to the sides. I’d consider inbounding to Jackson to increase the threat of a long pass Cole probably can’t execute.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this isn’t a big deal. The major mistake was Hurley not seeing how quickly teams would recognize it and adjust to press us more. This team is a press break machine is we stop trying to dribble up court. The length and athleticism is set to destroy anybody who presses it. It’s just tactical adjustments they need to make. They can no longer inbound to Cole, turn around and ignore him. Send Sanogo down court and then nobody else goes past half court. The 4 stands at center court the wings to the sides. I’d consider inbounding to Jackson to increase the threat of a long pass Cole probably can’t execute.
Teams didn't adjust to press us. We just happened to play 2 of the probably 5 best/most frequent pressing teams in the country in 3 days.

Not saying future teams won't make the adjustment, obviously.

Reaction Score
Assume West Virginia will pressure? It will be worse than VCU. Huggins has seen the tape already.

Reaction Score
And this is exactly what Hurley said. People keep posting the "we don't have ball handlers" quote but not the part after where he talked about since he doesn't have great ball handlers they've been able to actually practice the spacing and different strategies to break the press now that they're home from Atlantis

Reaction Score
And this is exactly what Hurley said. People keep posting the "we don't have ball handlers" quote but not the part after where he talked about since he doesn't have great ball handlers they've been able to actually practice the spacing and different strategies to break the press now that they're home from Atlantis
We omit that part because it's irrelevant

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Teams didn't adjust to press us. We just happened to play 2 of the probably 5 best/most frequent pressing teams in the country in 3 days.

Not saying future teams won't make the adjustment, obviously.

Ok, perhaps. But our tape showed it might work, and it did work because we hadn't adequately prepared to beat it. Teams that frequently press will stop if you torch the press. Not just get it across but make them pay. We settled for getting it up court, so they never backed down and we lost so much shot clock time.

Reaction Score
So who's fault is it that we only have one ball handler in the rotation then?

Reaction Score
Ok, perhaps. But our tape showed it might work, and it did work because we hadn't adequately prepared to beat it. Teams that frequently press will stop if you torch the press. Not just get it across but make them pay. We settled for getting it up court, so they never backed down and we lost so much shot clock time.
At this level, it isn't easy to become a pressing team if that hasn't been part of your team's DNA. There are multiple ways to press, full court man, full court man with trapping, different zone presses.... if coaches don't press, it's usually for a reason (philosophy/bench/talent).

They might introduce a token press/man, but those will, by definition, be easier to beat.

Reaction Score
So who's fault is it that we only have one ball handler in the rotation then?
I wouldn't say it's anybody's fault, but it was Hurley's choice. He chose to value continuity over adding a transfer PG, can't say I'd have made the same choice but there's a reason I'm not being paid $3M to make that choice. And now he's making the adjustments to make it work like we all ask him to

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say it's anybody's fault, but it was Hurley's choice. He chose to value continuity over adding a transfer PG, can't say I'd have made the same choice but there's a reason I'm not being paid $3M to make that choice. And now he's making the adjustments to make it work like we all ask him to
Ok...so maybe recruit a freshman who was ready to play or play the ones that you have?

Reaction Score
For those who haven't listened to @Rob Dauster's Top Dogs OP/ podcast..It's worth a listen. One of the points he makes and I'm beginning to see his point is that DH likes what his starting lineup of Cole/Martin/Jackson/Whaley /Sanogo gives him. Tough D/Boards/blend of leadership and athletes. Sacrifices some efficiencies on O but gets that from his bench players (Hawk/Polley/Gaff).

The ship has sailed for a transfer PG--Have to go with who is in your locker room this year. Why isn't Diggins getting run? My guess is its either he is not fully recovered from his injury or he has shown he is a defensive liability in practice. Obviously his CBB game experience is a concern. Auburn/MSU/VCU and their defenses are going to challenge teams. 2-1 with a winnable loss without a starter isn't bad for Nov.

DH is a loyal guy-Likes what Gaff brings to the table

Reaction Score
Ok...so maybe recruit a freshman who was ready to play or play the ones that you have?
I may be misinterpreting your tone... but come off it.

Where were you when we landed the 12th best PG in the country, the 8th best player in the region, the 2nd best player in Pennsylvania. The kid ranked 58th overall by ESPN?

The kid (who was injured and missed time in the preseason) who had offers from Florida, Kansas, Miami, Penn State, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Villanova, and Xavier (among others)?

Were you sounding the alarm that we needed someone even better who was ready to step in and play, or are you just making the argument now out of convenience?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This stubborness that head coaches have shows the difference between them and us fans. Dan H made it very clear in those interviews he doesn't think Diggins has earned the PT based on what Diggins has shown in practices.

Us fans think Cole will need some rest or further on down the road this season injuries or foul trouble is going to throw Diggins in to a game and us fans would prefer Diggins have gotten some run against early cupcakes. Seems simple enough. Some might even suggest it could light a fire under Gaff's tush to perform better or slide down the bench if he gets out performed. I also suspect between Hurley and his coaches that have also contemplated these scenarios and have decided not to play Diggins.

Reaction Score
I may be misinterpreting your tone... but come off it.

Where were you when we landed the 12th best PG in the country, the 8th best player in the region, the 2nd best player in Pennsylvania. The kid ranked 58th overall by ESPN?

The kid (who was injured and missed time in the preseason) who had offers from Florida, Kansas, Miami, Penn State, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Villanova, and Xavier (among others)?

Were you sounding the alarm that we needed someone even better who was ready to step in and play, or are you just making the argument now out of convenience?
No. Guard was clearly a concern coming into the year, anyone could have told you that. My point is that if the staff does not want to use the portal (which I am fine with) they are going to have to learn to trust the freshman to play more minutes. They are recruiting at a level that should allow that.

Reaction Score
This stubborness that head coaches have shows the difference between them and us fans. Dan H made it very clear in those interviews he doesn't think Diggins has earned the PT based on what Diggins has shown in practices.

Us fans think Cole will need some rest or further on down the road this season injuries or foul trouble is going to throw Diggins in to a game and us fans would prefer Diggins have gotten some run against early cupcakes. Seems simple enough. Some might even suggest it could light a fire under Gaff's tush to perform better or slide down the bench if he gets out performed. I also suspect between Hurley and his coaches that have also contemplated these scenarios and have decided not to play Diggins.
I also think there's a difference (at least for me) between UMES/Grambling and Atlantis. I'll be a little annoyed if he doesn't get 5-10 minutes of real playing time this week, hard for me to be mad he wasn't thrown into the fire trying to break Auburn or VCU's press

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom