We got destroyed on the boards | The Boneyard

We got destroyed on the boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They owned us. As well as we played in other aspects. This was an awful performance rebounding. If it wasn't for rebounds going out of bounds or off the shot clock, it could have gotten very ugly.

Reaction Score
They owned us. As well as we played in other aspects. This was an awful performance rebounding. If it wasn't for rebounds going out of bounds or off the shot clock, it could have gotten very ugly.

Maybe its time we stop posting about this point. We knew it would be a problem before the season started. As it ends up its probably been notably worse than most of us thought. We've been getting outrebounded by the likes of MD Easter Shore, Quinnipiac et.... I'll admit, I didn't see that coming. Big East play is about to start and the trend is sure to continue if not worsen. Let's just let it be a given that we will get beaten on the boards, probably decisively, for all remaining games.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the crazy thing about being out rebounded is when u make a a lot of shots, it doesn't matter. its a important part of the game no doubt, but there are ways to counter it consistently and one of those is have 4 guards who can play on any other team in the country and they make buckets all dam day.

Reaction Score
the crazy thing about being out rebounded is when u make a a lot of shots, it doesn't matter. its a important part of the game no doubt, but there are ways to counter it consistently and one of those is have 4 guards who can play on any other team in the country and they make buckets all dam day.

They outrebounded us 10-0 during their 19-0 run.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This team will never rebound well.

This is not news, it's not noteworthy and most importantly, it's not going to change. We have an all-world backcourt, some solid wings and low-major post players.

It is what it is - you can spare us the insight when we're outrebounded against Washington.

(First person to claim that rebounding is just desire gets punched in the throat. When everybody 'desires' the rebound, the bigger, better guy gets it.)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Where is the "The sun rose today" thread?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
(First person to claim that rebounding is just desire gets punched in the throat. When everybody 'desires' the rebound, the bigger, better guy gets it.)
Does STB have eligibility? He's bigger and better than most.

Reaction Score
Find my house Fishy.....I'll open the door and my throat to you......the bigger better guy "usually" gets it if he wants it I agree but if you hit him first you win on occasion.......they don't move anyone period. If they did even as weak as they are it would be over the back and noticeably to the stripes but they don't......certainly if you don't "desire" the rebound you ain't getting it......

They won't out rebound good , big teams and I don't expect them to, but if they accept this tonight against Fordham I dread the LVilles, ND and Cuses.......may not get a rebound!!

Reaction Score
Mostly we're getting killed in the stats because we just don't get offensive rebounds. Usually - roughly 70 percent of rebounds go to defensive team. We missed 30 shots and got four offensive rebounds - which meant Fordham was up near 90 percent. At the other end, we're average.

Once we play better defensive teams and don't get good first looks at the basket, it'll be really hard to overcome our lack of putbackability.

Reaction Score
Mostly we're getting killed in the stats because we just don't get offensive rebounds. Usually - roughly 70 percent of rebounds go to defensive team. We missed 30 shots and got four offensive rebounds - which meant Fordham was up near 90 percent. At the other end, we're average.

Once we play better defensive teams and don't get good first looks at the basket, it'll be really hard to overcome our lack of putbackability.

Gurley (aka Clark Kellogg/Clyde Frazier) you mean if we do not have spurtability we will be hammered because of our lack of "putbackability"?? LOL

Reaction Score
I don't see there being any way for this team to change into a group of kids that is going to become great rebounders all of the sudden...I think it is time to just accept that they are going to get dominated on the boards by teams with legit threats down low. We did lose two pretty good front court players that we expected to be on this team this year.

Reaction Score
I don't see there being any way for this team to change into a group of kids that is going to become great rebounders all of the sudden...I think it is time to just accept that they are going to get dominated on the boards by teams with legit threats down low. We did lose two pretty good front court players that we expected to be on this team this year.

Andre and who? Oh yeah Rosoe would've helped that's right........;)

Reaction Score
When everyone on offense is standing at the 3 point line its hard to get an offensive rebound. But there in no excuse for giving up so many offensive rebounds, I don't see them boxing out. Even if the opponent is bigger and stronger, you can still be successful with positioning and boxing out. I don't think they lack effort as much as they lack technique.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
They outrebounded us 10-0 during their 19-0 run.
7 of those 10 were defensive boards, we simply missed shots and gave up a few turnovers during that run. we had olander in as our big that run btw for a good amount of the time i think. i would love to board like past teams but this team doesn't have that identity with what we got, so we have to do other things to counter that. less turnovers, more steals, run and trap. we do those things so we can counter any teams advantage on the boards.

msu beat us on the boards just as bad, but we countered them with the same stuff we did to fordham 2night. its simply a different style that when we do it right can work. this is just a great example of how ko is able to coach on a level that some thought he couldn't. 2night vs fordam we shot 50% from the floor, 40% from 3(they shot 45%, 45%) and had more steals, more blocks and more ast and less turnovers ....vs msu we shot 46%, 46%(they shot 35%, 25%) had more stls, less turnovers and more blocks. the ncst game we shot 40%, 34% and in the key other stats we barely won each won. with the down night shooting and the stats not being won convinceingly our way, we lost by a couple points as result. the board disatvantage was the same as other games.

those stats are how u counter the boards issue...we can win playing this way, it should be obvious by now to anyone who knows bball. its just different frm the past 10 years of uconn bball. i dont think this is the future style but its the adjusted style for what we have and its best for our team to play this way this year. credit ko on that. just imagine what a fball team we could have if our fball coahces gave 2 ...

if we make shots and are better at other parts of the game besides boards and just put the effort in on the glass body wise, we can beat and hang with who ever.

Reaction Score
DD gets pushed under the basket a lot. Wolf needs to snatch the ball. Late in the game at the foul line he reached up with two hands to get ball, beefy guy behind reached with one hand batted it away and got it. After that one of the 1st times I've seen Ollie give the JC hook, Wolfee had to do the perp walk to the bench after that play.
Any kind of penetration on defense gets one of two bigs out of position and the other big gets lost rebounding in the clutter. Not sure how we address this if want to give Bazz, Boat, OC and DD a lot of minutes. Maybe Nolan plays more, can't see TO at power forward much.

Reaction Score
We had 15 steals vs 3 so we made up for it on the turnovers, you want to see more rebounding, but this more than makes up for it.

Reaction Score
At what point do we stop making excuses and start blaming the coaches? That being said, the Celtics were one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in NBA history last year and were a win away from the finals. Who knows...

Reaction Score
Blame the coaches for what, exactly? I don't think Ollie gets the blame for trotting out a frontcourt of Enosch Wolf, Tyler Olander, and Phil Nolan. Not to disrespect those kids, but Okafor, Boone, Villanueva, and Armstrong is a Big East caliber front court. I'm sure our frontline would dominate Wesleyan - at least I hope they would - but if you're waiting for a light to go off and our rebounding issues to disappear, I don't see it happening.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
At what point do we stop making excuses and start blaming the coaches? That being said, the Celtics were one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in NBA history last year and were a win away from the finals. Who knows...

When we lose our duck*ing minds and start thinking like imbeciles.

The front court is not good - they'd be marginal in the Northeast Conference. Candy cane wishes and sugar plum dreams will not change the fact that the problem will become oh so much worse in conference play.

Reaction Score
Plus if you send lots of people to the offensive glass who aren't all that good at getting them, you give up fast breaks the other way. It's a personnel weakness - so we have to make sure we get good looks on the first try (not just throw it up there and play volleyball). And force turnovers on the other end. I'd wager the 89-90 team was bad statistically on the boards, but the press made up for it.

Reaction Score
DD gets pushed under the basket a lot. Wolf needs to snatch the ball. Late in the game at the foul line he reached up with two hands to get ball, beefy guy behind reached with one hand batted it away and got it. After that one of the 1st times I've seen Ollie give the JC hook, Wolfee had to do the perp walk to the bench after that play.
Any kind of penetration on defense gets one of two bigs out of position and the other big gets lost rebounding in the clutter. Not sure how we address this if want to give Bazz, Boat, OC and DD a lot of minutes. Maybe Nolan plays more, can't see TO at power forward much.
Wouldn't mind seeing more of Leon. He hustles like Niels, but is bigger.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind seeing more of Leon. He hustles like Niels, but is bigger.

hes not as big buy do u remember that wvu player pitsnogle or something like that? he was a big f/c but i think leon has that type of potential.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I agree...Leon is still a young 'un and has the potential to put more muscle on his frame. He already has a good shooting stroke and hustles/plays hard consistently. With 10-15 lbs of muscle and a year of seasoning, not hard to see him get a lot of minutes at the 4 next year

Reaction Score
Fishy is correct, it is going to get uglier in conference play and there's no doubt. Bigger, stronger, better players than what we're seeing in many cases. And they will win the battle more often than not so our guys are going to need to shoot like the first half most every game against Top 25 teams to get upsets I'm afraid. And gurley has a good point, we're not going to win too many offensive rebounding battles either so why allow run outs instead retreat and play solid defense.

Leon has some game, noticed some things in the last 2 games which are natural to him and not others. He can pass the ball with both hands, threw a lefty 50 footer against UMES which a lot of athletes can't do. His hedging is very good and his quickness not all that bad. Stroke looks sweet for sure like to see him get more looks and has a good body to put some muscle on. Has a good idea on rebounding but like most others on this team get's muscled out.....another year on the weights may change some of that. Believe he will at least contribute like Giffey at some point but ceiling may even be better.......

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about winning the battle of the boards. We need to be more competitive. We need to get n their and contest for some offensive boards.

And sit out your butt. Don't just stand straight up and down. That's how you box out. Watching Wolfe just get moved under the basket on foul shots is crazy. Sit you butt out. Put your arms wide. and move your body backwards. High school kids do it. It's not that hard to rebound on free throws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom