We can not close the deal with recruits

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
bba448005946246f36e8cbc0993dcb67.jpg

lol...well done.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun
I hate to break this to you but if JC wasn't a stubborn old hardass UConn might well be in a P5 conference. Did he ever actually think things through.
By the way Chief
Dom Perno in worst and last years at UConn won as many league games as Jim Calhoun did in his first 3
If JC didn't catch lightning in a bottle and win the NIT with Perno's players he might not of seen the dream season.
His last two years were 9-9 and 8-10 in the Big East the latter with 3 number 1 picks and 3-4 number 2 picks. The former team was saved when KO developed KW into the top PG in the country.
Frankly JC was a good recruiter and talent evaluator,But playing in the most visible conference in the country makes that a whole lot easier. He certainly was among the greatest game coaches ever., but just an average developer of talent.
I could name as many of his players
who never got better and a few who were destroyed.
The Irony of the 1999 championship is a guy he destroyed played a roll in his first NC ,when injuries forced JC to play him.
His style of being a Gestopo doesn't suit every personality.

Anyone can cherry pick a career and by slant create the narrative that you want. I just gave you the tip of the iceberg.
KO is a great coach who inherited a bad situation and has been the subject of an unlenting campaign to hurt his recruiting since he took the job. Maybe some of the damage was self inflicted ,but I've never seen or heard anything other then innuendo.
That's a fact , but even false rumors can harm you.
I hope you fairweather fans don't hurt yourselves jumping off the bandwagon.
I'm committed for life ,as I don't jump vey well and jumping back on when we have a great 2017-17 is too exhausting.

C

Chief00

It's nice to have the parents onboard but if they're over 18 just have them commit and deal with the parents later.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="HuskyNationJE, post: I was a big Ollie supporter but I'm slowly losing faith as we keep losing recruits and are no longer the respectable program we have been for a long time.[/QUOTE]

YES, all these weeks of not being able to recruit. The humanity.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Who doesn't hope he turns it around?

If you can find me one person on this board who hopes that he crashes this program into a ditch (if he hasn't already), I will be amazed.

Some are just more skeptical than others in the face of mounting evidence that he's not the answer, and don't want to give him too long of a leash.

I think you answered your question.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="HuskyNationJE, post: I was a big Ollie supporter but I'm slowly losing faith as we keep losing recruits and are no longer the respectable program we have been for a long time.

YES, all these weeks of not being able to recruit. The humanity.[/QUOTE]
Yet somehow we have a 12 man roster for next years
Since 3 months ago we were down to 8-9 players ,we must have given some scholarships to walk-ons we didn't recruit. That Amazing , foe awhile it looked like we wouldn't be able to have a team next year. But yet here we are.

Reaction Score
You're asking the right question. What changed? Didn't the Lakers express interest? Yes. A few years ago we were afraid we'd lose him to the NBA. Now it seems nobody wants to play here. Something changed, and that something has a name with the initials KO.

Best outcome for UConn is still for Kevin Ollie to become the Kevin Ollie of four years ago.
Needs to happen and soon because it's getting frustrating watching us sit in the BS conference and lose recruit after recruit, see many of them not even show interest in UConn when they should be, etc. We shouldn't be losing in state kids especially. Herron and Waters should have been locks. KO needs to find his way back or we need to out him and offer the job to someone who's going to get it done.

C

Chief00

I don't know...he's so yesterday. :rolleyes:

Not so fast, I have learned you never underestimate that man. You think if he is ahead in a recruiting battle 24-48 hours before the announcement - he doesn't kill it non stop that last couple days?

C

Chief00

Erm, this is backwards.

Out of the 7 new players joining the program next season, 5 hail from Florida, Georgia, or North Carolina. We got someone to come here from Alaska via Arizona, for .

Our problems stem from a dramatic decrease in the staff's ability to effectively recruit New England and the NYC area.
I actually agree with this to some extent. The negative KO narrative is best known regionally. Players, parents and even competing college coaches from other regions are not as tuned in to this stuff.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not so fast, I have learned you never underestimate that man. You think if he is ahead in a recruiting battle 24-48 hours before the announcement - he doesn't kill it non stop that last couple days?

I was just joking about Calhoun. I agree with you about his recruiting prowess, but let's face it. The possibility that he's going to make some triumphant return is very unlikely at best.

Reaction Score
Garbage.

If MAL didn't decommit, Vital would have left.
True, the thing is that Vital is alot better now then when he committed. He is shooting better and can take it to the basket and score. He was a shooter when he came in and could not drive against college players in the beginning. His game improve vastly over the past yr. He is also a much better athlete now then 12 months ago. The issue that scare MAL off was that he is the same player that went to prep school. He is a very good athlete, much better defender and passer then Vital. His problem is that he can't shoot and his game will not translate in college until he can shoot. Now, will he improve in college. The chances are that he will not. His shooting form is Omaresque but it is slower and he is 4 inches shorter. He took an extra yr to work on his shot but it make no difference. The extra pressure of the college course work will make it unlikely that he will improve his freshman yr. There was a 5 star recruit from Brewster name Justin Simon in 2015 that had the same issue. He took a extra prep yr at Brewster just to work in his shooting. He did not improve and lasted 12 months at Arizona before transferring to St Johns. Shooting despite what people say very difficult to master. I don't see him doing it. I am glad that we are having Vital rather then MAL.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
It's amazing how every kid these days is weak except for the ones that no one else is recruiting and we can get by simply making a phone call and offering them a scholarship.

You look stupid. Stop looking stupid.
Pot calling the kettle black I see?
You can call me names if you wish, no one in their right mind would say RU is a better program than Uconn even after this bad season. Right? Or are you going to argue about that as well?
The only explanations are his mommy fell in love with SP which seems like a silly reason to pick a program for your future... and he wants playing time and to be the man.

Reaction Score
Great substantive response, the ad hominem attack makes your argument all the more convincing!

Not sure what else was needed in the response. Seemed like a "Calhouns way wasn't the best way" type post.

Well JC built a program up from nothing and turned them into a blue blood...out of nowhere. For my money he is the greatest college basketball coach of all time. Coaches just don't do what he did... As UConn fans I figured we would all know that. I guess not. Not sure what way could have been better that I respond.

Reaction Score
Who doesn't hope he turns it around?

If you can find me one person on this board who hopes that he crashes this program into a ditch (if he hasn't already), I will be amazed.

Some are just more skeptical than others in the face of mounting evidence that he's not the answer, and don't want to give him too long of a leash.

Look no further than the ones who liked this reply, never a positive thought.

Reaction Score
Loyalty to KO? You are the most dishonest, low-character poster on this board. Are you this much of a nasty liar offline? I can't imagine it serves you well in your personal or professional life.

At this point I don't care if KO gets fired. I'm the only one smart enough to realize that you people will never have your expectations met no matter who comes after him. News flash: recruiting classes will continue to be below the old standards, F4s and NCs will be distant memories, and it'll be posters like you who will be leaving the fan base in droves -- you only liked the program because it was at the blue blood level.

I'll be here long after KO is gone. You'll be on the PC board in 5 years tops.
You have always seemed to have an incredibly low opinion of UConn basketball. You're now predicting fans who you think expect too much of UConn basketball will leave the boneyard to become Providence fans. Is that because you think Providence basketball has already surpassed UConn basketball or will within 5 years?

Reaction Score
Great substantive response, the ad hominem attack makes your argument all the more convincing!
The guy basically said we aren't in a P5 conference because of Jim Calhoun and you're mad at someone else for posting a Happy Gilmore clip?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You have always seemed to have an incredibly low opinion of UConn basketball. You're now predicting fans who you think expect too much of UConn basketball will leave the boneyard to become Providence fans. Is that because you think Providence basketball has already surpassed UConn basketball or will within 5 years?

I have no time for your pollyanna "we will be back to the glory days because we are UConn" argument, it's self-evident and not grounded in reality at all.

The only national success this program ever saw was a direct result of its coach and its conference, the likes of which will never be replicated again. You folks think that we will find a coach to take us back there now that we a) don't have Big East payout money, b) are on this BS AAC TV deal, and c) would be dealing with a hypothetical buyout. If next year goes badly enough that we are looking for a new coach, why do you think someone would want to come here when they had lower-risk, higher-reward options in P5 conferences? Does the magic sparkly UConn dust outweigh 1 tourney berth in 4 years, potentially two straight losing seasons, a graveyard of a roster, a conference that's impossible to recruit in? Note that I'm not arguing against a coaching change, I just think you guys are fools to think it will turn out fortunes around.

Reaction Score
The narrative that Christian Vital is scaring off recruits is just off the wall. He's a decent reserve shooting guard, but he's nothing special.

MAL committed to UConn when he knew we had Adams and Gilbert at point...and now he's scared of Christian Vital? No.

A decent reserve shooting guard? This is insane to me. He was a freshman last season who shot over 40% from three in conference play, played with a poise and intelligence that we haven't seen from a UConn off guard in forever, and completely balled out when we needed him the most in the conference tournament.

He's a top 150 player who we beat out Louisville for (not an insignificant tidbit considering his physical profile and playing style), so it isn't as if he arrived with a hard ceiling. The dude isn't a slouch athletically - he's a bit undersized to play the two in the NBA, but he's a perfect college player.

I love the kid. I'd take him over MAL seven days a week. He's a bad ass.

Reaction Score
I have no time for your pollyanna "we will be back to the glory days because we are UConn" argument, it's self-evident and not grounded in reality at all.

The only national success this program ever saw was a direct result of its coach and its conference, the likes of which will never be replicated again. You folks think that we will find a coach to take us back there now that we a) don't have Big East payout money, b) are on this BS AAC TV deal, and c) would be dealing with a hypothetical buyout. If next year goes badly enough that we are looking for a new coach, why do you think someone would want to come here when they had lower-risk, higher-reward options in P5 conferences? Does the magic sparkly UConn dust outweigh 1 tourney berth in 4 years, potentially two straight losing seasons, a graveyard of a roster, a conference that's impossible to recruit in? Note that I'm not arguing against a coaching change, I just think you guys are fools to think it will turn out fortunes around.
You have the lowest opinion of UConn basketball out of anyone on this board.

We pay a guy a top 10 salary to drive the program into a ditch and you think we have no business being better than Providence. 30 years of incredible success, 4 national championships, an athletic department that has proven they will pay what it takes to be great and you think we shouldn't expect tournament appearances. No coach can do better than a coach who has led us to consistent middle of the pack AAC finishes and is getting beaten up on the recruiting trail by Providence College. It's sad how little you think of UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
You have the lowest opinion of UConn basketball out of anyone on this board.

We pay a guy a top 10 salary to drive the program into a ditch and you think we have no business being better than Providence. 30 years of incredible success, 4 national championships, an athletic department that has proven they will pay what it takes to be great and you think we shouldn't expect tournament appearances. No coach can do better than a coach who has led us to consistent middle of the pack AAC finishes and is getting beaten up on the recruiting trail by Providence College. It's sad how little you think of UConn basketball.
At least he's not publicly in denial anymore. The worst ones are those who think Ollie is the best we can do and because of that we should continue to support being mediocre.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom