We are Really Really Good | The Boneyard

We are Really Really Good

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When Paige went down we were concerned about how good we would be. Then ICE went down and many of our hopes dwindled. We knew we had the talent then Caroline had to sit and the pollsters had us ranked 6th and some even had us ranked lower. We beat Northeastern and began to realize we are a very good team. We knew Texas would be tuff and last nite we had a 17pt lead. Well all those questions were answered last nite. Azzi Fudd put on an All America NPOY show last nite and you know what. We all know she will get better because now she knows she can do it. I have a cousin who's daughter played with Azzi in their backyard and played with Paige and he told me last year that Azzi could be better then Maya Moore. He said Azzi is the best young player he's ever seen and he was a pretty good BB player himself. His daughter now plays for Indiana and they beat Tenn last nite.

Ive mentioned how important it is to have a great point guard. Nika has proven that...and so has Azzi. We have 2 very good point guards. For that reason we have two leaders who compliment each other. As the season progresses they will get better at working together and helping their team even more. Azzi attracts alot of defenders when she has the ball and that leaves other team mates open and she finds them. Azzi is also our go to player and almost unstoppable. Nika brings fear into opponents.

These are alot of posts in alot of threads talking about how good everybody on this team is and your all right. We have alot of weapons and our unselfish play keeps everybody on their toes looking to score. There are some things to iron out and Geno will make that happen but I really like where we are right now. With this very tuff schedule coming up we are going to be a tuff out. Being on national TV last nite Im sure opened alot of eyes. We are for real.

Just think about this. We were up big last nite against a top team with Caroline on the bench and Paige and ICE out for the season. Just think about how good we are without them. We put on a show last nite full of intensity, energy, determination, confidence, belief and a group of fearless players. We are really really good.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I don't want to interrupt the celebration, but I don't think the team played great last night. In fact, there were times when they seemed confused, unsure of who should do what and unable to execute. Yes, they won and yes, they did build a sizable lead, but they lacked a lot of structure and cohesiveness. I chalk it up to them still figuring it out and settling into their roles. I am encouraged and see the potential for great things happening, but last night was not stellar. There were some great plays and Azzi was amazing. Aubrey continues to impress. Everyone seemed to have flashes of greatness, but they need to be able to sustain it consistently to beat South Carolina or Stanford. The UConn system seems to have a way to develop players and get all the pieces moving together by the end of the season, but they have a ways to go. I am hopeful, but I am also realistic.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Just think about this. We were up big last nite against a top team with Caroline on the bench and Paige and ICE out for the season. Just think about how good we are without them. We put on a show last nite full of intensity, energy, determination, confidence, belief and a group of fearless players. We are really really good.
Texas was playing on the road without their starting point guard, who is supposedly pretty good. Taylor Jones played limited minutes, but was dominant when playing. Sonya Morris was supposedly hurt, but didn't look hurt to me. Bottom line, Texas injured players will be back, Paige and Ice will not be back this season. I know how difficult it is to see them, especially Paige, relegated to being a cheerleader on the bench.

Reaction Score
I think everyone’s praise for our play last night takes into account that it’s still November. We all know there were lapses on both ends. But given where we are in the season, this was an awesome performance — better, I think, than where our main rivals in the top 10 currently are. Hopes should be running high right about now.

And, by the way, I think we should consider Indiana one of our rivals. With the addition of Scalia Parrish and Geary, Terri Moran has put a formidable squad together. They will be tough in March.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Texas was playing on the road without their starting point guard, who is supposedly pretty good. Taylor Jones played limited minutes, but was dominant when playing. Sonya Morris was supposedly hurt, but didn't look hurt to me. Bottom line, Texas injured players will be back, Paige and Ice will not be back this season. I know how difficult it is to see them, especially Paige, relegated to being a cheerleader on the bench.
Good Point. Caroline will be back and Dorkas hand will be healed too and Griffs back will be in better shape. I like our chances alot All this talk about bigs and SC and Stanford are good examples. How do you stop them. You dont but we've got Azzi and they cant stop her either.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I would add to the negative column 20 turnovers and 9/18 at the line.

However, in the positive column I would add that:

Aaliyah Edwards is in game shape at the beginning of the season contrary to how she began last season and she is averaging a double/double, 12.5 and 10.0.

Aubrey Griffin is back and she brings something that no one else can bring, explosive athleticism.

Caroline Ducharme is still shaking off the rust, the residue of her injuries...she will continue to get better and we all know what she is capable of.

Nika Muhl is proving that she can be a vocal leader on the floor as well as a floor general with the ball in her hand. Keep in mind that in two games she has 16 assists and 5 turnovers.

Lou Lopez-Senechal has turned out to be somewhat of a surprise with the ease that she has fit into the UConn system. She is the other three point threat that we need to keep some of the pressure off of Azzi. She adds to the pesty back court trio on defense (Muhl, Azzi and Senechal)...they are making it tough on teams to get into their offense...they created 20 turnovers on the number three ranked team in the country.

Dorka Juhasz is averaging a double/double 10.0 and 10.0...I can remember when that was a big wish for any big. As long as she gives us that every night...we can't complain. She will get better as the season moves along.

Azzi Fudd...29 points per game is other worldly...I expect that to come down to earth, more like low twenties to high teens as the season goes on...but, that would only mean that other players like Caroline, Lou, Edwards, Griffin, Muhl are stepping up on offense.

Ayanna Patterson was technically a no-show for this game (6 minutes, 4 rebounds, 1 block) but, what should we have expected...a freshman in her first top five game against a team known for its bigs (yet she still pulled down 4 rebounds in 6 minutes and got a block)...I see no reason for concern here...she will catch up to the college game and the expectations that have been placed on her.

Ines Bettencourt and Amari DeBerry..both have assets that can be beneficial to UConn. Ines can and will develop into a back-up guard who can give good minutes if our guards get into foul trouble, need a rest or God-forbid get injured. Amari is 6'5", has range, can handle the ball well for a big and can be a presence in the middle...she needs to work hard in practice and convince Geno that she wants to play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Episode 5 I Give Up GIF by The Bachelor

What is wrong with some of you people! UCONN WBB just pulled off a decisive win against the #3 ranked team. This is one of the biggest wins in the program's history in the month of November. Only twice in the history of the program has UCONN WBB beaten a higher ranked opponent in the month of November (Baylor in 2012 and 2016). Enjoy the win!. I know it is only November because I haven't pick out the Thanksgiving turkey yet.

Reaction Score
Good Point. Caroline will be back and Dorkas hand will be healed too. I like our chances alot All this talk about bigs and SC and Stanford are good examples. How do you stop them. You dont but we've got Azzi and they cant stop her either.
Yup. We weren’t firing on all cylinders either. Caroline and Lou will round into form soon enough. With just Azzi as our primary scoring option, they were unable to contain our offense. Put 3 scorers on the floor together and I don’t care who Texas has or doesn’t have. As Vic put it last night, we have competitors — he was talking about his team, lol — and our competitors are simply more competitive.

Reaction Score
Great early win for UConn against a tough Texas team but I think we will learn a heck of a lot more in the upcoming game against NC State. Defensively they are almost as tough as Texas and have far more firepower offensively at the guard and forward positions.........they also will be out for revenge........if UConn wins that game I'll be far more impressed with how good the team is.........

Reaction Score

What is wrong with some of you people! UCONN WBB just pulled off a decisive win against the #3 ranked team. This is one of the biggest wins in the program's history in the month of November. Only twice in the history of the program has UCONN WBB beaten a higher ranked opponent in the month of November (Baylor in 2012 and 2016). Enjoy the win!. I know it is only November because I haven't pick out the Thanksgiving turkey yet.
A great win no doubt but I don't think the Texas team we saw with or without Harmon is really a number three ranked team...........as I just wrote, the NC State game will be a better test..........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One thing that really impressed me last night was the ball and player movement on offense was excellent, even reminiscent of the 2016-17 team that set the all time NCAA assist record for a season. Keep in mind that 4 starters were gone from last year’s team, including the best pg in the nation. There were very few instances when the ball got “stuck” on offense.

A few weeks ago, Geno commented that while UConn’s defense was not very good, the Huskies had really focused on their offense in the preseason. Against a really tough defensive team that pressured the ball all game, UConn shot 55%. Clean up the turnovers, hit your foul shots, work Caroline back into the rotation and this UConn team will be formidable once again…ho hum….

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Ive mentioned how important it is to have a great point guard. Nika has proven that...and so has Azzi. We have 2 very good point guards. For that reason we have two leaders who compliment each other. As the season progresses they will get better at working together and helping their team even more. Azzi attracts alot of defenders when she has the ball and that leaves other team mates open and she finds them. Azzi is also our go to player and almost unstoppable. Nika brings fear into opponents.
I've said many times before, I love the two-point-guard look. It's like a band having two lead singers or two lead guitarists. I'm hoping by the end of the season Inês will give 10 minutes a game or so, so that UConn can have two on the court at all (important) times.

Of course they don't both need to be called point guards. Grace Berger and Haley Jones come immediately to mind.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

It’s like it’s your first day on the Boneyard.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score

I don't ofen disagree much with you @CocoHusky but just because a bunch of people picked a team at the beginning of the season to be ranked higher than another does not mean that they are accurate in their projections, Texas is potentially a good team, but it's weakness is clearly the ability to handle a press... and until it does they are going to have many more losses or close games that should not be.. Tennessee was also picked higher than UConn to start the season and already have two loses, polls are crap shoots especially early on... Which will eventually correct themselves as the weeks go by..

With that said, Our team is currently better than Texas by about 15 pts.. This was not one of our best team efforts, but I am very encouraged.
One of the things that jumped out at me in the beginning of this game was our hesitance to utilize more bodies early on, if you are going to press a team then trust your players and give them all more time, It looked to me that Aaliyah was winded trying to contend with their bigs and could have used a quick spell as she was constantly beat to positions down low which lead to easy baskets for a Texas team that was struggling other wise.. Ayanna has proven that she is all hustle, similar to Aubrey and Nika.. It doesn't really matter if she fouls out of a game at this point, Just look at her stats, 6 min , 4 rebounds, 2 Blks... where as the other bigs played too much mins and only had 8 or so rebounds.. Against a team whose strength is their post play, we could have utilzed Ayanna Strength, Speed and Hustle a little more to keep our bodies fresh and tire the opposing team out , even more...

Reaction Score
Jones played "limited minutes? That's not true. She played 29. For a big how is 29 "limited?" How many minutes do bigs normally play?

And now playing MAYBE A maximum 35 minutes she will be "optimal?" Yet we hear from many UCONN posters that our starters should only play 30 for being optimal?

She scored 10 points in 29 minutes. At 35 minutes that's a pro-rating that she scores about 12/13 points. "Real dominant?"

Reaction Score
Good game. Good win. Lots of work still to do.

Turnovers
Rebounding
End of game play - they have a tendency to stop playing when they're up in the 4th.
Free throw shooting
Foul trouble

All things that can be worked out as the season goes on.

Reaction Score
It was a good game and it showed that there are a lot of good things that this Team brings to the surface. I am sure that there are also a lot of things that Geno saw on the sidelines that could use some improvement as I watched him screaming, yelling commands, and holding his head in disbelief. All in all, a very good showing with many areas for improvement. What we see is a very good team with the potential to be a great Team by the end of this season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I've said many times before, I love the two-point-guard look. It's like a band having two lead singers or two lead guitarists. I'm hoping by the end of the season Inês will give 10 minutes a game or so, so that UConn can have two on the court at all (important) times.

Of course they don't both need to be called point guards. Grace Berger and Haley Jones come immediately to mind.
Azzi is our clear Points Guard. ;)

Reaction Score
My take? First, all the players that stepped on the court played HARD pretty much every minute they were out there, there was no waiting for the “other guy” to step up when they got punched in the mouth (figuratively speaking).
Second, there there almost no “boneheaded“ plays, bad shots, etc. I don’t remember any ME plays. Bad plays yes, poor foul shooting yes, the game was not pretty at times but
if a team plays hard and plays smart, that’s really all you can ask of them.
Finally a comment on Fudd, I have my way of looking at teams and players and while Fudd obviously got REALLY hot, the thing about her game last night that impressed me the most was that while she played poorly in the 1st half, I know she had 10 points but she got a couple or 3 breakaway uncontested layups and one in the half court off of a good Muhl assist but the 6 TOs defined her half for me. BUT, she continued to just play, never put her head down, never stopped playing D, never stopped playing the game and that impressed the hell out of me. Finally and obviously, the 4th qtr was hers.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I think everyone’s praise for our play last night takes into account that it’s still November. We all know there were lapses on both ends. But given where we are in the season, this was an awesome performance — better, I think, than where our main rivals in the top 10 currently are. Hopes should be running high right about now.

And, by the way, I think we should consider Indiana one of our rivals. With the addition of Scalia Parrish and Geary, Terri Moran has put a formidable squad together. They will be tough in March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom