We are Really Really Good | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We are Really Really Good

Reaction Score
For me, some questions were answered and a couple of my impressions were (pleasantly) proved wrong.

Azzi is a great college basketball player. The jury was out on this after last season but the verdict is in.

Nika is more then an emotional leader. I honestly thought I wouldn’t see her play like she did last night. I was way off. She sees the floor almost as good as Paige. We already knew about the toughness. Now (I) know about the skill.

Dorka and AE continue to raise their game. A major key to success in April.

The thing that makes me the happiest is Aubrey’s play. I hoped for it but had no idea what she would bring. Looks like a candidate for the best 6th women in the sport…..if she doesn’t gain a starting 5 spot. A huge plus for this team.

The rest of the roster are question marks for me at this point.

Reaction Score
I'm just going to come out and say it. I think Ayanna might eventually be our best post defender if she can keep from fouling. She's strong enough and can leap enough to maybe be somewhat effective against the Bostons, Betts and Brinks of the world. It's a huge ask to expect her to be able to control her fouls though at this point and no one really stops that trio and especially Boston. I'm just not confident at all that Dorka or AE can do it. It's a hell of a challenge but in the little time she has played post defensively Ayanna has stopped the opposing post pretty well. Ayanna doesn't appear to be very effective in the post offensively though. Maybe if we are lucky part of her role is to give us 15 minutes of rebounding and good defensive work for as long as she lasts. That girl is strong and vertically explosive. She is rebounding at a rate over 1 per 2 minutes of play while both Dorka and AE are less than 1 per 3 minutes of play. Very small sample size but I think Ayanna could be putting up better numbers if she were getting more PT. So far, she has played less than 10 minutes a game.

2022-23 UConn Huskies Stats | ESPN

Reaction Score
I don't want to interrupt the celebration, but I don't think the team played great last night. In fact, there were times when they seemed confused, unsure of who should do what and unable to execute. Yes, they won and yes, they did build a sizable lead, but they lacked a lot of structure and cohesiveness. I chalk it up to them still figuring it out and settling into their roles. I am encouraged and see the potential for great things happening, but last night was not stellar. There were some great plays and Azzi was amazing. Aubrey continues to impress. Everyone seemed to have flashes of greatness, but they need to be able to sustain it consistently to beat South Carolina or Stanford. The UConn system seems to have a way to develop players and get all the pieces moving together by the end of the season, but they have a ways to go. I am hopeful, but I am also realistic.
Game 2 of the season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm just going to come out and say it. I think Ayanna might eventually be our best post defender if she can keep from fouling. She's strong enough and can leap enough to maybe be somewhat effective against the Bostons, Betts and Brinks of the world. It's a huge ask to expect her to be able to control her fouls though at this point and no one really stops that trio and especially Boston. I'm just not confident at all that Dorka or AE can do it. It's a hell of a challenge but in the little time she has played post defensively Ayanna has stopped the opposing post pretty well. Ayanna doesn't appear to be very effective in the post offensively though. Maybe if we are lucky part of her role is to give us 15 minutes of rebounding and good defensive work for as long as she lasts. That girl is strong and vertically explosive. She is rebounding at a rate over 1 per 2 minutes of play while both Dorka and AE are less than 1 per 3 minutes of play. Very small sample size but I think Ayanna could be putting up better numbers if she were getting more PT. So far, she has played less than 10 minutes a game.

2022-23 UConn Huskies Stats | ESPN
Ayanna is still learning how to play the college game. Her physical gifts, motor, and work ethic are obvious. She’ll be a good one, but give her time to develop at her pace.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Episode 5 I Give Up GIF by The Bachelor

What is wrong with some of you people! UCONN WBB just pulled off a decisive win against the #3 ranked team. This is one of the biggest wins in the program's history in the month of November. Only twice in the history of the program has UCONN WBB beaten a higher ranked opponent in the month of November (Baylor in 2012 and 2016). Enjoy the win!. I know it is only November because I haven't pick out the Thanksgiving turkey yet.
Coco, you beat me to the punch. :cool: It’s only the second game if the season. Wayyyy too early to expect perfection. I’m extremely excited and happy we won the game. I’m satisfied and content with that. :D Everything else will work itself out in due time. Today was a good day.

Last edited:

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Game 2 of the season.
Soxx,
I totally agree and thought I made it clear that I have faith in the system and an eventual positive outcome. But I was at the game and saw a number of times where the team seemed disconnected in ways that you don't normally see with UConn teams – regardless of where they are in the season. For example, in-bounds plays where the player got the ball on the sideline and none of the other players on the court seemed to realize that play had started and they needed to get into position to get the pass. And then, when they did realize play had started, they were not quite sure what to do or where to go. I was not criticizing UConn's or saying we are doomed. I was simply pointing out a level of confusion that you don't normally see with UConn teams. I understand it is only game two. But past UConn teams didn't seem to have such basic communications problems – even early in the season. I was simply making observations. That said, I believe the team is a National Champion contender and I relish watching the Caroline Pecks and Debbie Antonellis of the world cringe and suffer as the Huskies capture yet another final four and hopefully more.

Reaction Score
Soxx,
I totally agree and thought I made it clear that I have faith in the system and an eventual positive outcome. But I was at the game and saw a number of times where the team seemed disconnected in ways that you don't normally see with UConn teams – regardless of where they are in the season. For example, in-bounds plays where the player got the ball on the sideline and none of the other players on the court seemed to realize that play had started and they needed to get into position to get the pass. And then, when they did realize play had started, they were not quite sure what to do or where to go. I was not criticizing UConn's or saying we are doomed. I was simply pointing out a level of confusion that you don't normally see with UConn teams. I understand it is only game two. But past UConn teams didn't seem to have such basic communications problems – even early in the season. I was simply making observations. That said, I believe the team is a National Champion contender and I relish watching the Caroline Pecks and Debbie Antonellis of the world cringe and suffer as the Huskies capture yet another final four and hopefully more.
You mean you don’t think UCONN played much better in this game 2 than what they did last year vs USF in which they only won by 7 and only scored 60 points?

What about game 2 in 19-20 vs eventual 14-16 Vanderbilt in which they won 64-51?

These were better games than UCONN beating the number 3 team this year?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
IYou mean you don’t think UCONN played much better in this game 2 than what they did last year vs USF in which they only won by 7 and only scored 60 points?

What about game 2 in 19-20 vs eventual 14-16 Vanderbilt in which they won 64-51?

These were better games than UCONN beating the number 3 team this year?
I am usually banging my head against the wall over people who are overly critical of the team. I hate it when people expect perfection every minute of every day. That said, I was sharing my perspective of what I saw compared to what I have seen at other games as a long-time season ticket holder. You can pick different individual games to compare it to, but that was not my point. I also made it clear that I see great potential and have faith in the UConn system. I'm not looking to get into a pissing match, so I concede – you are right. I was way out of line to share my thoughts and opinions, which were clearly wrong. Thank you for setting me straight. Peace and love to you.

Reaction Score
I am usually banging my head against the wall over people who are overly critical of the team. I hate it when people expect perfection every minute of every day. That said, I was sharing my perspective of what I saw compared to what I have seen at other games as a long-time season ticket holder. You can pick different individual games to compare it to, but that was not my point. I also made it clear that I see great potential and have faith in the UConn system. I'm not looking to get into a pissing match, so I concede – you are right. I was way out of line to share my thoughts and opinions, which were clearly wrong. Thank you for setting me straight. Peace and love to you.
C'mon that wasn't my point. We can have a different opinion. Your initial point stated "I don't want to interrupt the celebration . . ." Then on another post you offered a counterpoint to the reply it’s only “Game 2.” This was just a reply to comparing this Game 2 which you replied to vs other Game 2's.

And as you pointed out on here - we do get people overly critical. So you did mention from the get-go that you were going to interrupt the celebration and you did feel even for a Game 2 that they didn't play well, - then you would expect a counter to your opinion, wouldn't you? From us (even maybe you on another day) that think as you say many people on here are "overly critical?"

We're just disagreeing. You know I feel like the next time BBallF creates a thread "What you'd like to see the most for the next game," in a funny way I'd like to say "Id wish many more BY posters would try to just enjoy the game instead of trying so hard to be Geno." But I get it it's part of the fun for many. And possibly some others are probably too nervous and they have to be critical.

And no offense - It's just that it seemed like you and others really didn't enjoy this game. If so, don’t take offense, but that's sad is the way I see it. But I understand you see what you see, and in some way it bothers ya. For me, there is so much I got excited about in this game. I just don’t understand what it appears (and I could be wrong) - the lack of enjoyment from some over such a fun damn game. There was a lot that I loved about in this game. SO ofc I am going to disagree.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
C'mon that wasn't my point. We can have a different opinion. Your initial point stated "I don't want to interrupt the celebration . . ." Then on another post you offered a counterpoint to the reply it’s only “Game 2.” This was just a reply to comparing this Game 2 which you replied to vs other Game 2's.

And as you pointed out on here - we do get people overly critical. So you did mention from the get-go that you were going to interrupt the celebration and you did feel even for a Game 2 that they didn't play well, - then you would expect a counter to your opinion, wouldn't you? From us (even maybe you on another day) that think as you say many people on here are "overly critical?"

We're just disagreeing. You know I feel like the next time BBallF creates a thread "What you'd like to see the most for the next game," in a funny way I'd like to say "Id wish many more BY posters would try to just enjoy the game instead of trying so hard to be Geno." But I get it it's part of the fun for many. And possibly some others are probably too nervous and they have to be critical.

And no offense - It's just that it seemed like you and others really didn't enjoy this game. If so, don’t take offense, but that's sad is the way I see it. But I understand you see what you see, and in some way it bothers ya. For me, there is so much I got excited about in this game. I just don’t understand what it appears (and I could be wrong) - the lack of enjoyment from some over such a fun damn game. There was a lot that I loved about in this game. SO ofc I am going to disagree.
Sorry for my snark.
It was a bad day and I took it out on you and your post.
While I admit it made me feel better at the time, it wasn't cool.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Soxx,
See the box score, these are the guys that played.

Azzi, sophomore with a new role
Lou, first year with the team
Aaliyah, doesn’t usually receive inbounds play, new role
Dorka, ditto
Nika
Aubrey, has sat out over a year, new role
Caroline
Ayanna, freshman

And, once again, Texas is a top 3 team. Maybe they helped contribute to the confusion by having the nerve to play defense

It’s going to be a long season.

Reaction Score
If this team can develop the same team half court offense all previous teams have done by mid season, then yep, they are gonna be a very, very tough out in the tournament, if the refs stay out of it!

Reaction Score
If this team can develop the same team half court offense all previous teams have done by mid season, then yep, they are gonna be a very, very tough out in the tournament, if the refs stay out of it!
For my money your last 7 words are critical. Those three called if I remember the final stats 40 yes FORTY FOULS, and yes they whistled 20 on each club. 40 fouls in 40 minutes, I counted no fewer than 5 totally phantom fouls. Neither club had a decided edge up or down but the flow of the game suffered. I hope those three were not auditioning for tournament time.

Reaction Score
Texas was playing on the road without their starting point guard, who is supposedly pretty good. Taylor Jones played limited minutes, but was dominant when playing. Sonya Morris was supposedly hurt, but didn't look hurt to me. Bottom line, Texas injured players will be back, Paige and Ice will not be back this season. I know how difficult it is to see them, especially Paige, relegated to being a cheerleader on the bench.
I agree, playing at home against a team without a proven guard, (temporarily) and a talented power big in foul trouble, were good omens for success. Add our sharpshooter on fire, and we were enough. Later in the season, Texas will be formidable.
We will improve. Caroline, in good health and in condition will be a valuable addition on offense and defense. Everybody has to get better and stay out of the hospital so we can be a DEEP talented team that can harass with impunity.

Reaction Score
When Paige went down we were concerned about how good we would be. Then ICE went down and many of our hopes dwindled. We knew we had the talent then Caroline had to sit and the pollsters had us ranked 6th and some even had us ranked lower. We beat Northeastern and began to realize we are a very good team. We knew Texas would be tuff and last nite we had a 17pt lead. Well all those questions were answered last nite. Azzi Fudd put on an All America NPOY show last nite and you know what. We all know she will get better because now she knows she can do it. I have a cousin who's daughter played with Azzi in their backyard and played with Paige and he told me last year that Azzi could be better then Maya Moore. He said Azzi is the best young player he's ever seen and he was a pretty good BB player himself. His daughter now plays for Indiana and they beat Tenn last nite.

Ive mentioned how important it is to have a great point guard. Nika has proven that...and so has Azzi. We have 2 very good point guards. For that reason we have two leaders who compliment each other. As the season progresses they will get better at working together and helping their team even more. Azzi attracts alot of defenders when she has the ball and that leaves other team mates open and she finds them. Azzi is also our go to player and almost unstoppable. Nika brings fear into opponents.

These are alot of posts in alot of threads talking about how good everybody on this team is and your all right. We have alot of weapons and our unselfish play keeps everybody on their toes looking to score. There are some things to iron out and Geno will make that happen but I really like where we are right now. With this very tuff schedule coming up we are going to be a tuff out. Being on national TV last nite Im sure opened alot of eyes. We are for real.

Just think about this. We were up big last nite against a top team with Caroline on the bench and Paige and ICE out for the season. Just think about how good we are without them. We put on a show last nite full of intensity, energy, determination, confidence, belief and a group of fearless players. We are really really good.
But Amari got no minutes. I have her on my list of players who could surprise this year, and provide a lot of help. Can't do that with zero minutes.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
But Amari got no minutes. I have her on my list of players who could surprise this year, and provide a lot of help. Can't do that with zero minutes.
Well Im hoping now that she got a few minutes in the prior game we will see more of her. She is 6'5 and has some skills which she showed when she played.

Reaction Score
The refs called that game tight. Other refs may well let lots of those "fouls" go in the future. Especially in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Don’t let them get you down! Opinions are the life blood of discussion! ! I noticed specifically, by the way, the same thing regarding the inbounds plays! It just looked a bit less comfortable than usual. Of course, as you said, this will likely improve fairly quickly, perhaps as they build a larger film record for the coaches to use as a teaching tool! My own personal wish/hope is to see this team get better and more consistent at blocking out when the ball goes up.

Reaction Score
For my money your last 7 words are critical. Those three called if I remember the final stats 40 yes FORTY FOULS, and yes they whistled 20 on each club. 40 fouls in 40 minutes, I counted no fewer than 5 totally phantom fouls. Neither club had a decided edge up or down but the flow of the game suffered. I hope those three were not auditioning for tournament time.
Those kinds of games are unwatchable. Not a great showcase for women's basketball to have the game stopped every 20 seconds.

Reaction Score
I don't want to interrupt the celebration, but I don't think the team played great last night. In fact, there were times when they seemed confused, unsure of who should do what and unable to execute. Yes, they won and yes, they did build a sizable lead, but they lacked a lot of structure and cohesiveness. I chalk it up to them still figuring it out and settling into their roles. I am encouraged and see the potential for great things happening, but last night was not stellar. There were some great plays and Azzi was amazing. Aubrey continues to impress. Everyone seemed to have flashes of greatness, but they need to be able to sustain it consistently to beat South Carolina or Stanford. The UConn system seems to have a way to develop players and get all the pieces moving together by the end of the season, but they have a ways to go. I am hopeful, but I am also realistic.

Neither do I. To put a different spin on it, I'm celebrating that we kept the lead against a top 10 team, built and maintained it for 3 periods while playing a B- game. The capper is that we had a closer who showed the kind of 4th period game that wins titles.

And to make it even sweeter the team said right after the game that there was a lot of bad play. They are a hard-working group. I'll celebrate while they work. :p

Reaction Score
Neither do I. To put a different spin on it, I'm celebrating that we kept the lead against a top 10 team, built and maintained it for 3 periods while playing a B- game. The capper is that we had a closer who showed the kind of 4th period game that wins titles.

And to make it even sweeter the team said right after the game that there was a lot of bad play. They are a hard-working group. I'll celebrate while they work. :p
A November game is always a B- game in absolute terms. As November games go, though, it was pretty good, and made that much better for what you say, that the team was critical of their own play. That gets an A+ from me.

And Azzi gave us a preview of the tournament with a second half like Paige’s against SC two years ago.

Reaction Score
Ayanna is still learning how to play the college game. Her physical gifts, motor, and work ethic are obvious. She’ll be a good one, but give her time to develop at her pace.

In a recent interview Geno said she "gets a little better every practice". That means she is consistently working hard and listening. Her future is bright.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom