WE are a basketball School | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WE are a basketball School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Moral of the story: If we don't get good at football quickly, our entire athletic department dies

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is not true!! Jesus you all are paranoid.

I suppose you'll enjoy cheering on our "elite" basketball program against the Holy Crosses and Trinity Colleges of the world. That's the scenario we will be looking at long-term if we do not get into a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
I see no reason why we cant be the "Gonzaga" or "Memphis" of this conference until or if we ever get a P5 invite. The post season ban plus Ollie having only a short term contract didnt help with recruiting and cant be discounted here. I feel our BB programs will be fine regardless of conference. ACC hasn't been all that great for BC or Pitt of late.

Reaction Score
If it means maintaining our basketball program's eliteness…yes.
Are you the author of that mess of an article? Your views seem to be very myopic. 10 years from now the NBE will not be in the top 5 basketball leagues. Uconn needs to get into a P5 league and the best way to do that is to support football.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Are you the author of that mess of an article? Your views seem to be very myopic. 10 years from now the NBE will not be in the top 5 basketball leagues. Uconn needs to get into a P5 league and the best way to do that is to support football.
But while we wait for football, we risk having to watch our basketball program crumble. Football is going to take years. And UConn's presence would take the NBE to a new level. There's risks and benefits to each scenario. Joining the NBE would support our Bball program in the immediate future and give new respect to the NBE as a conference, but sink our already sunk football program. Waiting for a P5 invite and staying in the AAC will sink our basketball team over time while we try and grow the football program. The latter is not worth it.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It gets us in a conference were are basketball stays relevant and playing in Northeast big TV markets as opposed to playing against the worthless AAC opponents. I mean playing Villanova and Georgetown and St. John's is a lot better than playing SMU, Tulsa and Temple.

Now. What about 4 years from now (Incidentally, I love how people put down Tulsa...What did they do to powerhouse UConn earlier this year?)

Okay you guys are so interest in the past and how great the Big East was and How great UConn was. Well ponder this for moment (Given the attention span of the anti-football crowd in general, I don't want to take up much more than that):

14 tournaments have been played since a team who's institution did not sponsor a football program at the highest level (D1-A) has won a NCAA National Basketball Championship.
29 tournaments have been played since a team who's conference did not sponsor a football program at the highest level (D1-A) has won a NCAA National Basketball Championship.

Now, correlation does not equal causation but that is only when you believe the correlation in this case applies to football. It does not. The correlation applies to money. If UConn goes to the Big East (which they cannot do. The Big East does not sponsor football and no other conference will accept football without the other programs, especially basketball.), they lose exposure in the short term, then money in the short and long terms. While you believe that being invited to a p5 conference is currently a longshot in the AAC, there is NO SHOT without football in the Big East at any point in the future.

That is as simple as I can put it. You may not like it, but it is the reality of the situation, so either accept it or let it go. Just stop complaining.

Reaction Score
But while we wait for football, we risk having to watch our basketball program crumble. Football is going to take years. And UConn's presence would take the NBE to a new level.
you need to sit down, strap on a seatbelt, and patiently wait for UConn to get off its exit in this hell ride. It will most likely either be a P5 conference when the next shake ups occur or the Big East when we give up. The P5 is worth waiting for. Buy some football tickets, stop by some of our tailgates and enjoy the rebuild. If UConn can take the NBE to a new level - it sure as hell can maintain in the AAC until we know if we have a spot or not.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Thats my feeling. We are screwed either way, so lets get screwed together in the NBE. It is a better basketball conference than the AAC which is just putrid.

That's great...We're screwed either way so let's take one of the options off the table and self impose an increase of the incline to the already seemingly mountainous uphill obstacle of a journey. Yeah, let's do that...

Husky25

Reaction Score
But while we wait for football, we risk having to watch our basketball program crumble. Football is going to take years. And UConn's presence would take the NBE to a new level. There's risks and benefits to each scenario. Joining the NBE would support our Bball program in the immediate future and give new respect to the NBE as a conference, but sink our already sunk football program. Waiting for a P5 invite and staying in the AAC will sink our basketball team over time while we try and grow the football program. The latter is not worth it.
It took Football 8 years from elevation to Division 1A to a New Years Day Bowl game.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The only con I can see to joining the Big East given our current athletic situation is the fact that their TV contract is with Fox Sports 1...
That's a pretty big con.

Reaction Score
I suppose you'll enjoy cheering on our "elite" basketball program against the Holy Crosses and Trinity Colleges of the world. That's the scenario we will be looking at long-term if we do not get into a P5 conference.
Huh we will still be playing against Gtown, St Johns and Villanova. So not all that bad as at least we won't have to hold onto a fairy tale that won't ever happen.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
That's great...We're screwed either way so let's take one of the options off the table and self impose an increase of the incline to the already seemingly mountainous uphill obstacle of a journey. Yeah, let's do that...

I get your position I really do. I would feel the same way you do if I thought there was even the remotest chance we got an invite in the next decade.
Since I don't believe we are, I have moved on to the next best thing.

To all those who are P5 or bust: What happens if WE DONT get in P5 in next decade? That's what I want to know. If you are honest with yourselves and a hoops fan, the answer is a better basketball conference.

Reaction Score
I think the people arguing for UConn staying in the this wreck of a conference our the football fans. All true basketball fans know that saving the bball program is the most important thing and we also know it is a pipe dream we ever get into a P5 conference. Hey I understand it won't happen us leaving this conference for the NBE but you can't say you don't understand why so many people are unhappy we have to go down with the horrible football team. I'm always been a basketball fan and only care a little about the football team because I went to school there. It is like I how care about women's bball . I only care about them when they are playing in the post season.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Because we got the Big East auto bid to a BCS bowl. We wouldn't have otherwise. We are no where near P5 football level.
Which is how it works.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
There is a reason that no school without major football has won a title this millennium.

We have a major football program? Our football program is the laughingstock of every single P5 school in America. Seriously, they laugh at us.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Huh we will still be playing against Gtown, St Johns and Villanova. So not all that bad as at least we won't have to hold onto a fairy tale that won't ever happen.

For the equivalent of the DII national title. Sorry, I'll take whatever chance I can to keep us playing with the big boys.

Reaction Score
There is a reason that no school without major football has won a title this millennium.
LOL I love how you said this millennium since we did win it in 1999 without being a major football player. But they was convenient to leave out the '99 team with your comment. Also, Butler got close twice and should have beat Duke that one year.

Reaction Score
We have a major football program? Our football program is the laughingstock of every single P5 school in America. Seriously, they laugh at us.
FBS. Playing stupid wont win this argument.

Reaction Score
LOL I love how you said this millennium since we did win it in 1999 without being a major football player. But they was convenient to leave out the '99 team with your comment. Also, Butler got close twice and should have beat Duke that one year.
Also convenient how we upgraded and won 3 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom