WE are a basketball School | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WE are a basketball School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Big East ain't the Big East anymore. Potential for growth? Marginal. Current KenPom? Don't care. My eyes tell me that they aren't anywhere near as good as the BE was 5 years ago.

WE should prioritize the UConn basketball programs. BOTH. But, the way forward ain't with the Big East. We can be far better in this AAC - like a Gonzaga - we just need to be far more consistent in terms of recruitment and development of classes over a period. This year is a result of some level of inexperience beyond Boatright. Look at Gonzaga for an example. We need to stick to our knitting because the AAC is the only way forward - and that is a P5 slot.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
The Big East is no different than the A-10.

Either get in a P-5 conference or die. And football is the only way to do that. Period.
It is far superior to the A-10

Yankees32123

Reaction Score
The Big East ain't the Big East anymore. Potential for growth? Marginal. Current KenPom? Don't care. My eyes tell me that they aren't anywhere near as good as the BE was 5 years ago.

WE should prioritize the UConn basketball programs. BOTH. But, the way forward ain't with the Big East. We can be far better in this AAC - like a Gonzaga - we just need to be far more consistent in terms of recruitment and development of classes over a period. This year is a result of some level of inexperience beyond Boatright. Look at Gonzaga for an example. We need to stick to our knitting because the AAC is the only way forward - and that is a P5 slot.
You along with others don't realize that UConns presence in the current Big East would immediately put it in an elite category of basketball conferences. We often underestimate the affect of our own program. We are elite. And far better than Gonzaga.

Yankees32123

Reaction Score
Astonishing how few people understand this.

Everyone's beloved basketball program will be playing in a glorified rec league if we don't take a chance on jumping to the P5. There will be no UCONN sports as we know it for you guys to root for. Sorry to slap some of you in the face, but for Pete's sake, wake up.
This is not true!! Jesus you all are paranoid.

Reaction Score
Check your eyesight. Big east is likely going to have 6 tourny teams this year, maybe 7 if St Johns gets it together. Marquette will be a very good team for years to come now. Big east is clearly worse than it was when us, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville were still in it but to say the current big east isn't far and away better than the AAC is just delusional. Most importantly, the big east gets RESPECT. Selection committee doesn't think anything of the AAC.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Screw football. Our program will not be good again for a long time. You can't just become better at football over a few seasons. It takes years and years to build a football program and we don't have years. Basketball will suffer too much while we wait for football and that's not worth it. Basketball recruiting will be better if we were in the Big East.

I'm a huge fan of UConn's sports teams but my focus has been primarily men's bb. The majority of posts I've made have been in this forum. The sheer number reflects my passion for this sport. However, by far and away the most important thing for me is the direction this university is taking in it's approach academically. So if sports ends up being intramural so be it. I'll find other things to preoccupy my time.

However, unlike you, I have a positive feeling about UConn's position in the sports world. That makes me all in for positioning the university to be a fish in the big pond as opposed to a fish in a puddle. And don't kid yourself, the BE and the AAC are puddles.

People who argue for mediocrity usually end up being mediocre. I prefer this administrations approach with the Big! picture in mind. It's a gamble certainly but it's a gamble that I'm backing. I'm willing to be patient and not prone to playing the game frightened. Backing away from football when it is the most important card in the current universe of college athletics is like keeping the two of clubs and throwing out the ace of spades when none of the cards match.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Screw football. Our program will not be good again for a long time. You can't just become better at football over a few seasons. It takes years and years to build a football program and we don't have years. Basketball will suffer too much while we wait for football and that's not worth it. Basketball recruiting will be better if we were in the Big East.

Football runs the NCAA and takes in the money. So saying screw that means saying screw the $150,000,000 spent on football.

Reaction Score
Oh good this again. If we go back to the big east we further jeopardize the future well being of ALL UConn sports with no hope for a P5 spot. At least in the American there is a chance to get one of the last P5 spots. Why don't all the big east slurpers realize this? Both options are horrible but only one is a death sentence.

If the aac loses two or more teams and the p5 break away and UConn isn't included then sure go back to playing some old friends. But the athletic department isn't going to pronounce itself dead before it has to.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Big East is still missing those top tier teams like Syracuse, Pitt and UCONN. That does mean something as those teams carried the Big East the last twenty years. Last year Nova was the flag bearing school of the Big East and they were dismantled by UCONN.

To say the new Big East is similar in strength to the older Big East hasn't been paying attention the past twenty years.

Reaction Score
Check your eyesight. Big east is likely going to have 6 tourny teams this year, maybe 7 if St Johns gets it together. Marquette will be a very good team for years to come now. Big east is clearly worse than it was when us, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville were still in it but to say the current big east isn't far and away better than the AAC is just delusional. Most importantly, the big east gets RESPECT. Selection committee doesn't think anything of the AAC.

Check your eyesight for distance. The P5 are coming for the hoop tournament next.

Reaction Score
I think people are delusional if they think a P5 will ever pick us because of our football program. Our hopes reside in basketball and if that locks us out so be it. Our football program is now in permanent purgatory. We want to stay in a football conference to move up but unfortunately this football conference will never be good enough for us to do so as our recruiting is getting worst and worst. Let's just stop pretending we will ever be a good football program(our chances passed with the old big east) and join the new big east and save our Bball teams.

Yankees32123

Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of UConn's sports teams but my focus has been primarily men's bb. The majority of posts I've made have been in this forum. The sheer number reflects my passion for this sport. However, by far and away the most important thing for me is the direction this university is taking in it's approach academically. So if sports ends up being intramural so be it. I'll find other things to preoccupy my time.

However, unlike you, I have a positive feeling about UConn's position in the sports world. That makes me all in for positioning the university to be a fish in the big pond as opposed to a fish in a puddle. And don't kid yourself, the BE and the AAC are puddles.

People who argue for mediocrity usually end up being mediocre. I prefer this administrations approach with the Big! picture in mind. It's a gamble certainly but it's a gamble that I'm backing. I'm willing to be patient and not prone to playing the game frightened. Backing away from football when it is the most important card in the current universe of college athletics is like keeping the two of clubs and throwing out the ace of spades when none of the cards match.
We are a basketball powerhouse. A basketball school first and foremost. Our football team sucks and it will take years and years before Diaco can make it the least bit respectable. Or if he ever can. I want immediate solutions so we don't screw our basketball team too. If we wait 5-10 years for a P5 spot, our program may be irrelevant. And it may take that long.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think people are delusional if they think a P5 will ever pick us because of our football program. Our hopes reside in basketball and if that locks us out so be it. Our football program is now in permanent purgatory. We want to stay in a football conference to move up but unfortunately this football conference will never be good enough for us to do so as our recruiting is getting worst and worst. Let's just stop pretending we will ever be a good football program(our chances passed with the old big east) and join the new big east and save our Bball teams.
How does the New Big East save UConn's basketball teams exactly?

Reaction Score
There is no way UCONN football gets into a P5 league. It almost happened, but now that is a dream. So landing in the Big East for basketball is the best option. I hope I'm wrong, because any P5 bid is better than any non-P5 position.

Reaction Score
How does the New Big East save UConn's basketball teams exactly?
It gets us in a conference were are basketball stays relevant and playing in Northeast big TV markets as opposed to playing against the worthless AAC opponents. I mean playing Villanova and Georgetown and St. John's is a lot better than playing SMU, Tulsa and Temple. Recruits would rather play against Big East competition than AAC.

Reaction Score
Nobody watches the Big East games on Fox. Nobody. Noooooobody.

UConn against (insert crap AAC team here) is getting 4x as many eyeballs.
Well I might give you that as the Fox sports channel is worthless. At least some of our games are on ESPN. Are all the big east games stuck on Fox Sports?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Thats my feeling. We are screwed either way, so lets get screwed together in the NBE. It is a better basketball conference than the AAC which is just putrid.

Everyone holding a candle for a P5 invite, I pity you. For whatever reason we are not getting in any time soon, and our Athletics are going to pretty much be down the toilet in the next decade. Depressing, yeah, but I stopped paying attention when it became so apparent we weren't getting the life raft any time soon (and possibly never) . If there is a chance we ever do get it, it will be so late as to have us rebuilding from the ground up again. Enjoy and savor the past 15 years, because I have a feeling we are just starting to scratch the surface this year on the types of hell we are going to face going forward. It is not going to be pretty.

To quote Steve Buscemi in the cinematic mastepiece "Armageddon" : "Guess what guys, it's time to embrace the horror!"

Take the above advice and then when you watch the S%^tshow that is this season, everything doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

Reaction Score
Subject is moot. The state has invested millions in UConn football.

Reaction Score
Nobody watches the Big East games on Fox. Nobody. Noooooobody.

UConn against (insert crap AAC team here) is getting 4x as many eyeballs.
Was looking up the ratings of some of the games, and stopped when I saw that UConn at Cincinnati pulled in just as many viewers on ESPN2 as FS1's highest rated game, Georgetown vs. Marquette (230,000 vs. 233,000).

Whoops, left out a small detail. It was the UConn Women playing Cincinnati.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Well I might give you that as the Fox sports channel is worthless. At least some of our games are on ESPN. Are all the big east games stuck on Fox Sports?

They, like the AAC, have a handful on CBS and CBSSN. Otherwise, theyre locked in with Fox's .07's for a decade.

Yankees32123

Reaction Score
The only con I can see to joining the Big East given our current athletic situation is the fact that their TV contract is with Fox Sports 1. I'd rather be on ESPN but at least you can stream on Fox Sports Go (duck* you CBS Sports Network)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom