WE are a basketball School | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WE are a basketball School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So your idea is playing in Nebraska Wisconsin and Indiana is better while not playing any of the flagships in those flyovers? Just because Georgetown was good in the 80s and Nova is still kind of good? Got it.

The big east fanboys are so short sighted

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you want a pro-basketball fantasy at least go with something good.

Drop football and join the ACC. At least then your fever dream would have upside.

Reaction Score
Yeah, well, he's dead. Just like the Big East's glory days. Long in the past.

At some point we'll all be dead - I'm saying let's not waste the time we have hoping for the P5 when it's not realistic.

(to clarify - not saying that the Big East would happen either, just that the premise of the thread is that if we could join the Big East, should we ? (the bird in hand) Many are arguing for the P5 bird in the bush and to me going to the Big East makes sense. The thread to me is really Big East vs. AAC not Big East vs. P5.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Going to the Big East doesn't make sense either - those schools are making marginally better TV money for substantially worse TV exposure. Plus, it would spell the immediate death of our football program.

It's just not even a real debate.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
At some point we'll all be dead - I'm saying let's not waste the time we have hoping for the P5 when it's not realistic.

(to clarify - not saying that the Big East would happen either, just that the premise of the thread is that if we could join the Big East, should we ? (the bird in hand) Many are arguing for the P5 bird in the bush and to me going to the Big East makes sense. The thread to me is really Big East vs. AAC not Big East vs. P5.
Just curious. How are both possibilities (going to a P5 or going to BE) equally realistic? The P5 hasn't accepted UConn so far, but that doesn't eliminate the possibility. On the other hand the Catholic schools voted to leave the BE leaving behind UConn, Cinci and USF. Ville over UConn was strategic but not categorically dismissive.

And even if both are equally unlikely, why even begin arguing for a hypothetically impossible position that is far inferior to a hypothetically impossible position that is far better? It just reeks of a defeatist nature.

I'm certainly glad the players last year did not behave this way after the Houston and SMU losses.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I imagine if UConn dropped football the Big East would welcome them back. Highly doubt they would even as a football independent.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Going to the Big East doesn't make sense either - those schools are making marginally better TV money for substantially worse TV exposure. Plus, it would spell the immediate death of our football program.

It's just not even a real debate.
Add to this the monies that the AAC received when they allowed the Catholic schools to take the BE name. I'm not sure any one in this thread has pointed out that the three schools (UConn, Cincy and USF) had the option of keeping the BE name or selling it to the Catholic schools, who voted to leave, in exchange for the monies in the old BE coffers from the tournament successes plus the departures. That's a substantial amount of monies to utilize over the next five or so years.

It more than makes up for the lousy media $$. And as you mention the TV exposure is extremely important. Like it or not the AAC is in a better position to survive than the BE between these monies and institutions that are more likely to attempt to put monies into athletics. I would argue that UConn's future is more likely to be hurt by an AAC member than by being in the AAC vs. the BE. No one in the BE is going to advance, current or future. But someone from the AAC has a shot.

Reaction Score
Most of us realize it won't happen and that we are stuck in the AAC but we want to voice our displeasure in the direction the school has taken at the expense of the men's basketball team. We realize the chance of a P5 bid are almost nothing. I mean if we didn't get it when we were in a better position in the Old Big East what will change in the future? Real question. I understand going to the NBE might mean doom and gloom down the road but at least we should have another 5-10 years of competing at the top of pile.

I don't consider the NBE,as "top of the pile"' especially being on Fox1. I refuse to believe that we will stuck forever in the AAC, who knows maybe in a few years the AAC will be a very strong league.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
In case you guys are wondering about St. Johns. It was Brian Williams who led them to the final four in 84. Shortly after, he left school and Mullens took over. The day Brian Williams left, he gave Lou his first sweater.

Reaction Score
Just curious. How are both possibilities (going to a P5 or going to BE) equally realistic? The P5 hasn't accepted UConn so far, but that doesn't eliminate the possibility. On the other hand the Catholic schools voted to leave the BE leaving behind UConn, Cinci and USF. Ville over UConn was strategic but not categorically dismissive.

And even if both are equally unlikely, why even begin arguing for a hypothetically impossible position that is far inferior to a hypothetically impossible position that is far better? It just reeks of a defeatist nature.

I'm certainly glad the players last year did not behave this way after the Houston and SMU losses.

Not saying both possibilities are equally realistic. The original article posits that both UConn and the Big East would benefit by UConn's return to the conference (and therefore it could realistically happen). As many have pointed out, there are problems with this, but if you take it as the starting point for a discussion, and the question is "If UConn could rejoin the Big East conference, should we ? ", I would say yes in a New York minute. Then I'd go buy my tickets to the Tournament in the Garden while the P5 group would presumably be content to watch the Tulane game and hope that the football team can develop enough (and fast enough) to someday get an invite to the promised land.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
More Subterranean Numbers For College Hoops on FOX

FOX drew just 353,000 viewers for the Providence/St. John’s college basketball game last Saturday afternoon, likely the second-smallest audience ever for college basketball on broadcast television. The network drew an even lower 340,000 for Northwestern/Butler in December. By comparison, CBS drew 1.0 million for Arkansas/Florida on Saturday and 2.4 million for Michigan/Michigan State on Sunday (via Sports Business Daily)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
1) Both the NBE and the AAC are 1.5 years old. Last year the AAC was the better conference. This year the NBE is. I don't think this gives the NBE proof of superiority. Please remember the teams that remain there from the BE, are mostly teams we dominated for 20 years.

2) Do the NBE people realize how long we have been working on improving our football program? It is not a recent reaction to CR, it goes back years and years. And it has been a very successful transition up until PP. So you are talking about over a decade of progress for a bad turn with 1 (hopefully) coach?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I refute that we don't fit the mold of Big East schools because we don't fit the mold of the AAC schools. We are the only team in the conference that represents a whole state. And frankly, who cares. The Big East is a better basketball conference than the AAC. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.
Hate to think of BB team's record in a better BB conf 9-13??

Reaction Score
I imagine if UConn dropped football the Big East would welcome them back. Highly doubt they would even as a football independent.

Guess you haven't read the Providence board lately? They have no interest in
UConn and we have no interest in th e NBE

I

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Guess you haven't read the Providence board lately? They have no interest in
UConn and we have no interest in th e NBE

I

I didn't know Providence had a board but I would guess they aren't authorized to determine who is in the league.

Reaction Score
Yes, let all hold our breath and hope our football program suddenly gets good and a P5 comes knocking on the door. LOL

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Remember the movie Titanic?

The AAC is the big boat. When it was sinking at the end and some of the lifeboats were too close and got sucked down with it? That's the Big East.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This says it all.

Yeah it "says it all" right now. Last year it was different. Next year will be different. The Big East is better...but the gulf is not as wide as it presently appears. The main difference is how weak the AAC is at the bottom.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is just not true. We will not get into a P5 school with our football team. It is not going to happen. Bball recruiting will be helped in the Big East. A lot.

This is absurd and is based on ignorance. UConn played in a BCS bowl recently. You may or may not know, but before Bill Snyder, Kansas State was, with no close competition, the worst D1A football program in the country. Stop thinking that what exists at this instant is somehow fixed in time. UConn football will be playing in a bowl next year or the year after. Getting a P5 invite is the only way to save basketball. If you abandon hope of it, you might as well kill the basketball program too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom