WE are a basketball School | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WE are a basketball School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only con I can see to joining the Big East given our current athletic situation is the fact that their TV contract is with Fox Sports 1. I'd rather be on ESPN but at least you can stream on Fox Sports Go (duck* you CBS Sports Network)
Seriously I don't understand how CBS sports network can be so backward. No steaming at all??

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Also convenient how we upgraded and won 3 more.
There are schools without big football programs who have been close/have the ability to win a Bball national championship. And they're all in the NBE.

Reaction Score
I commented on this article on the CR Board/Non-Key Tweets early this morning. It absolute makes no sense to join the NBE at this time. Any posters that disagree are viewing the basketball program through a straw, without any consideration to the university as a whole including research, academics, financials, exposure, etc. As I've said past, if UConn is joining the NBE, all is lost, and it has thrown in the towel in its pursuit to be a leading, national university.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think people are delusional if they think a P5 will ever pick us because of our football program. Our hopes reside in basketball and if that locks us out so be it. Our football program is now in permanent purgatory. We want to stay in a football conference to move up but unfortunately this football conference will never be good enough for us to do so as our recruiting is getting worst and worst. Let's just stop pretending we will ever be a good football program(our chances passed with the old big east) and join the new big east and save our Bball teams.
Nah, a P5 conference will pick us because:

1) We are one of the larger markets available
2) We'd give them a presence in NYC, at least for hoops
3) We provide suscribers for a confernence television network
4) We provide quality content over a broad range of sports for a confernence television network
5) We are an excellent academic institution
6) We are the best basketball school in the country (men)
7) We have a proven ability to win championships accross a broad range of sport (goes to quality of the athletics dept.)
8) We have excellent facilities (goes to quality of the athletics dept.)
9) We have nationwide name recognition.
10) We give them the ability so schedule games in NY/NE for their wealthy alumns to attend.

You are correct that they won't pick us because of football, currently, but existence of football is the key that unlocks door.
No football = no consideration.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the people arguing for UConn staying in the this wreck of a conference our the football fans. All true basketball fans know that saving the bball program is the most important thing and we also know it is a pipe dream we ever get into a P5 conference. Hey I understand it won't happen us leaving this conference for the NBE but you can't say you don't understand why so many people are unhappy we have to go down with the horrible football team. I'm always been a basketball fan and only care a little about the football team because I went to school there. It is like I how care about women's bball . I only care about them when they are playing in the post season.

This whole thread is driving me insane. You state that your detractors only care about football, but you and Yanks fan have declared in this very same thread you ONLY care about basketball...Face palm! What you can't seem to get through your thick skulls is that people holding out for the P5 support BOTH..scratch that THE ENTIRE AD. We get that it may be a long shot, but it is the only shot we have to maintain the high level of athletic excellence we have all had the PRIVILEGE to enjoy for 20+ years. Your assumption that we have no shot at P5 is wrong and that abandoning football for short term satisfaction is misguided. As has already been stated, the BE would be better immediately, but what you fail to understand is the long term disadvantage. The BE will be booted by the P5 and not allowed into their BB tournament that sure as S&*$ will come......Finally, the BE isn't going anywhere. What is the harm of looking out for the best chance for UConn (holding out for the P5) and if the p5 invite is DEFINITIVELY dead, then we can crawl back to the BE. End rant

Reaction Score

4) We provide quality content over a broad range of sports for a confernence television network
7) We have a proven ability to win championships accross a broad range of sport (goes to quality of the athletics dept.)
10) We given them the ability so schedule games in NY/NE for their wealthy alumns to attend.

You are correct that they won't pick us because of football, currently, but existence of football is the key that unlocks door.
Ok keeping thinking positive. It hasn't happened when our football program was better and in a viable in conference it certainly won't happen when it the football program is in shambles and in the AAC. We are holding on to a pipe dream until I hear otherwise.

Reaction Score
O.K. I will make this a clear and as short as I can.

Why do you clowns think Lou Perkins pushed for big time football in the first place? One reason and one reason only. TO PROTECT OUR BASKETBALL PROGRAMS. Why? Because the day is coming when you won't be able to compete for national basketball championships without playing big time football. Why is that? Either because football money/exposure will make those who don't play it unable to compete in other sports, or because (as I think is likely) the P-5 won't be part of the NCAA ten years down the road and they will have one tourney and the Big East will play against Mountain West and the American and the A-Ten and lesser leagues for a separate one that no one will recognize.

So yes, it sucks to be where we are and yes, there is no guaranty that we will ever be back in the big time. But moving to the Big East is a death sentence. Maybe one that won't play out for 20 years, but a death sentence nonetheless. We have no realistic choice but to play this out and see what happens until we are invited back in or the door is clearly closed (which it is not yet). And then, if the door closes with us on the outside, then we can have this discussion (and I doubt anyone would then object to going to the Big East).

Oh, two last thoughts. Quit whining. This period in limbo sucks as much for football fans as it does for basketball fans. And we're not even one year away from a national basketball championship. Some of you have the attention span of chipmonks to be throwing in the towel this early and easily. And you clowns must be smarter than me, because I don't see anywhere that the Big East invited us and we turned it down (and while there are reasons ($$$) for the Big East to take us, there are also reasons as to "fit," our resources and not wanting to be stuck behind us that the Big EAst may be far happier without us. The chicken turds.)

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone really wants to be in the AAC, but I can't be the only one who thinks the clamoring for the Big East is nothing more than a reaction to the current season we are having?

Coming of a national championship and sitting at 12-9 is disappointing, for sure, but if we win 4 of those games we lost (probably Texas, Yale, Temple, and Houston), being 16-5 overall and 7-2 in the conference, while still disappointing, probably doesn't elicit some of the responses in here that the UConn basketball program is in danger.

Reaction Score
There are schools without big football programs who have been close/have the ability to win a Bball national championship.
Yup and once the P5 breaks away they wont even have a chance. If you want to kill the one thing that gives us the slightest chance to ever get back with the big boys just so we can compete against catholic schools with enrollments smaller than E.O Smith, that's on you.

Reaction Score
This whole thread is driving me insane. You state that your detractors only care about football, but you and Yanks fan have declared in this very same thread you ONLY care about basketball...Face palm! What you can't seem to get through your thick skulls is that people holding out for the P5 support BOTH..scratch that THE ENTIRE AD. We get that it may be a long shot, but it is the only shot we have to maintain the high level of athletic excellence we have all had the PRIVILEGE to enjoy for 20+ years. Your assumption that we have no shot at P5 is wrong and that abandoning football for short term satisfaction is misguided. As has already been stated, the BE would be better immediately, but what you fail to understand is the long term disadvantage. The BE will be booted by the P5 and not allowed into their BB tournament that sure as S&*$ will come.Finally, the BE isn't going anywhere. What is the harm of looking out for the best chance for UConn (holding out for the P5) and if the DEFINITIVELY is dead then we can crawl back to the BE. End rant
Well some of us have already come to realization that it isn't going to happen no matter how people want to pain us being in a big market and being accepted into the AAU. We had a chance if the Old Big East was still around but it isn't so we just want to enjoy the remaining years we can while we have a chance to be relevant in college basketball. I don't see were being in the AAC is really helping to promote UCONN football. It just seems to be holding onto a mirage.
It is also holding back a lot of Olympic sports since they are stuck in bad financial status due to the horrible travel.

I do realize it won't happen joining the NBE though with all the money that was invested into the football team. Unfortunately we are stuck do die this slow death.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

10) We given them the ability so schedule games in NY/NE for their wealthy alumns to attend.

I believe that is true today,(so then why no invite already?!) but I also believe that every year that passes without an invite that numbers 2,3,4,6,7 diminish and it is easier to pass us over as time goes forward.. In a couple years once the conference realignment coffers dry up, we will be trying to compete on average with 5-8 times less money every year than a P5 school. How is that sustainable? Number 9 - I think our national name recognition is OK, but for a program that has been as successful as we have been our brand isnt that strong. Syracuse for all their lousy crap on the hoops floor and gridiron has better National name recognition than us (and god that pains me to say and makes me angry)

Reaction Score
If it means maintaining our basketball program's eliteness…yes.

as have been proven before in our big east days, u need a football school to really gain any traction into the P5 conferences

Reaction Score
You can't get through to these people. Let them have their occasional threads. Keeps things interesting

Reaction Score
Well some of us have already come to realization that it isn't going to happen no matter how people want to pain us being in a big market and being accepted into the AAU. We had a chance if the Old Big East was still around but it isn't so we just want to enjoy the remaining years we can while we have a chance to be relevant in college basketball. I don't see were being in the AAC is really helping to promote UCONN football. It just seems to be holding onto a mirage.
It is also holding back a lot of Olympic sports since they are stuck in bad financial status due to the horrible travel.

I guess you've put the nail in the coffin. What happens if we do make it out to the P5...will you thank us optimistic folks? Don't worry man, I'll welcome you right back on the bandwagon haha

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I get your position I really do. I would feel the same way you do if I thought there was even the remotest chance we got an invite in the next decade.
Since I don't believe we are, I have moved on to the next best thing.

To all those who are P5 or bust: What happens if WE DONT get in P5 in next decade? That's what I want to know. If you are honest with yourselves and a hoops fan, the answer is a better basketball conference.

That is fine if that is the way you feel, but all signs (to me) indicate otherwise.

1. Increased State funding
2. Increased focus in S.T.E.M. fields of study
3. Increased in quality of Faculty
4. Expansion in graduate research
5. Increased endowment

Alone, these 5 steps in academia greatly contribute to UConn's profile, which I believe is aimed at the Big Ten.

Add to that the fact that UConn will offer Offering 4 year Full cost of attendance (similar to P5) the writing is on the wall that UConn is a leading candidate for inclusion.

You may call this overly optimistic, but I have to believe it. Reason? I love rooting for my alma mater. I donate to the School of Business Administration and to the Athletic Dept. I want to see both continue to succeed, but as I reach middle age, all I really want from college sports is to be entertained. A program that is not playing at the highest level or has no possibility of winning is not entertaining in the least. I went through it from the time I was 7 years old until my early 20's as a Red Sox fan. I will not do it again and UConn will, by and large, lose my support.

Reaction Score

I do realize it won't happen joining the NBE though with all the money that was invested into the football team. Unfortunately we are stuck do die this slow death.

What about field hockey and soccer...they seem to be doing just fine though!

Reaction Score

If you don't believe we will, fine, everyone can only guess at that. But if you've come to the conclusion that we never will you're just an idiot, because the belief that "it's over" can not be rationally drawn. Because there are plenty of non-UConn fans writing on the internet who make the case for why our day will come.

Reaction Score
You can't get through to these people. Let them have their occasional threads. Keeps things interesting
Most of us realize it won't happen and that we are stuck in the AAC but we want to voice our displeasure in the direction the school has taken at the expense of the men's basketball team. We realize the chance of a P5 bid are almost nothing. I mean if we didn't get it when we were in a better position in the Old Big East what will change in the future? Real question. I understand going to the NBE might mean doom and gloom down the road but at least we should have another 5-10 years of competing at the top of pile.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe that is true today,(so then why no invite already?!) but I also believe that every year that passes without an invite that numbers 2,3,4,6,7 diminish and it is easier to pass us over as time goes forward.. In a couple years once the conference realignment coffers dry up, we will be trying to compete on average with 5-8 times less money every year than a P5 school. How is that sustainable? Number 9 - I think our national name recognition is OK, but for a program that has been as successful as we have been our brand isnt that strong. Syracuse for all their lousy crap on the hoops floor and gridiron has better National name recognition than us (and god that pains me to say and makes me angry)
I think we are pretty much in agreement. Eventually, we may be forced to make a decision whether we can continue to fund football outside of the P5, but while we are getting exit fee/ NCAA residuals we can hang on and hope for the best. To all those who think that teminating football helps basketball, you couldn't be more wrong. The day we stop competing in football is the day we start an inexorable death spiral for basketball, at least at the level we are used to.

Reaction Score
I think we are pretty much in agreement. Eventually, we may be forced to make a decision whether we can continue to fund football outside of the P5, but while we are getting exit fee/ NCAA residuals we can hang on and hope for the best. To all those who think that teminating football helps basketball, you couldn't be more wrong. The day we stop competing in football is the day we start an inexorable death spiral for basketball, at least at the level we are used to.
Well maybe like the Author of the article we can get into the MAC for football so that way we can maintain some semblance of football while we wait for this mythical bird to bless us.

Reaction Score
Well maybe like the Author of the article we can get into the MAC for football so that way we can maintain some semblance of football while we wait for this mythical bird to bless us.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Right but that doesn't mean that UConn football was as good as the other conference winners.
In 2006, The St. Louis Cardinals had the worst record of any team who earned a playoff birth, including the wild card. Someone should let them know that they were ineligible to win the World Series.

Reaction Score
Most of us realize it won't happen and that we are stuck in the AAC but we want to voice our displeasure in the direction the school has taken at the expense of the men's basketball team. We realize the chance of a P5 bid are almost nothing. I mean if we didn't get it when we were in a better position in the Old Big East what will change in the future? Real question. I understand going to the NBE might mean doom and gloom down the road but at least we should have another 5-10 years of competing at the top of pile.
"Most of us" is like 5 people and one of those (Nelson) has become a running gag. Do you want to go down that route? The Big East has already reached it's potential, ESPN didn't want it because they know without football their dead men walking.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The MAC doesn't want football-only. Their agreement with UMass should have tipped you that only full members need apply. What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom