Way too soon preseason polls | The Boneyard

Way too soon preseason polls

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wonder has Charlie started working on it. Maybe it is way,way too soon.

I’ll bet he has. Creme’s “way too early” list for the 2018-2019 season was released in April of 2018. So we may see his way to early list for next year, next month.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure this is the right time to announce such lists. I expect having some positive news that gives us confidence we will have a next season is needed. But that is just me. :rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This will be weird making a top 25 without the tournament to pull information from. Off the top of my head, top contenders appear to be South Carolina, UCONN, Stanford, Maryland and Baylor. Mississippi State, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, Louisville and Kentucky could be dangerous.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing Carter leaves, but if not Texas A&M could be dangerous as well.

NC State too. They lose Konig, but return a lot, and add a solid recruiting class.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With next season's pro schedules not clear it may be that players who planned on leaving with eligibility left (like Sabally) may reconsider.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Basically it's easy to argue with any order anyone puts forth, but UCONN for the most part loses the least of any team in the top tier. UCLA seems to only be losing 1 senior as well (Dean). I'll have to go thru the rest of the rosters, but UCONN loses 1 starter, albeit an important one.

Stanford loses Wilson, Fingall, Brewer and maybe Carrington. Fingall was the lone starter, and Carrington was injured after game 5. Red shirt? Is she coming back? They get Brink (top 5) and some others ranked 40'ish and below.

SC loses 2 seniors - both starters - Herbert Harrigan and Harris. They get no one coming in ranked better than 40.

Maryland loses 3 starters - Watson, Charles and Jones. They bring in the #2 kid Reese, but not much else.

Baylor loses 3 starters - Landrum, Cox, Cooper. They do have a great class coming in - top 10 Andrews and Gusters, but they lose too much IMHO and maybe should be lower.

Oregon is the hardest to figure - they lose 4 starters - Sabally, Moore, Ionescu, and Hebard. They do get Sedona Prince and Sabally jr. off injury plus a recruiting class that includes 5 top 40 kids, but no one really in the top 10. Hard to handicap how good the freshmen can/will be.

L'ville loses a ton as well - key reserve Diop, Shook, Jones, and Dunham - all starters. They add Van Lith and top 20 Cochran.

Oregon State loses 4 seniors, 2 starters PIvec and Tudor. I think they have some transfers sitting out who will help, but they dropped almost out of the top 15 with all their losses so #9 might be generous. They only have 1 top 20 recruit coming in.
  1. UCONN
  2. Stanford
  3. South Carolina
  4. Baylor
  5. UCLA
  6. Oregon
  7. Maryland
  8. Mississippi State
  9. Louisville
  10. NC State
  11. Oregon State
  12. Kentucky

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm not ready to think about ranking teams for next season yet. I'm still processing, which is code word for still in mourning for the lost postseason :(

If the NCAA comes up with some eligibility extension for current seniors, that will be a huge wild card. I'll be surprised if that goes through, but the fact that the NCAA has openly said they're considering it makes me wonder.

Then, of course, there's always the sweepstakes of the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Basically it's easy to argue with any order anyone puts forth, but UCONN for the most part loses the least of any team in the top tier. UCLA seems to only be losing 1 senior as well (Dean). I'll have to go thru the rest of the rosters, but UCONN loses 1 starter, albeit an important one.

Stanford loses Wilson, Fingall, Brewer and maybe Carrington. Fingall was the lone starter, and Carrington was injured after game 5. Red shirt? Is she coming back? They get Brink (top 5) and some others ranked 40'ish and below.

SC loses 2 seniors - both starters - Herbert Harrigan and Harris. They get no one coming in ranked better than 40.

Maryland loses 3 starters - Watson, Charles and Jones. They bring in the #2 kid Reese, but not much else.

Baylor loses 3 starters - Landrum, Cox, Cooper. They do have a great class coming in - top 10 Andrews and Gusters, but they lose too much IMHO and maybe should be lower.

Oregon is the hardest to figure - they lose 4 starters - Sabally, Moore, Ionescu, and Hebard. They do get Sedona Prince and Sabally jr. off injury plus a recruiting class that includes 5 top 40 kids, but no one really in the top 10. Hard to handicap how good the freshmen can/will be.

L'ville loses a ton as well - key reserve Diop, Shook, Jones, and Dunham - all starters. They add Van Lith and top 20 Cochran.

Oregon State loses 4 seniors, 2 starters PIvec and Tudor. I think they have some transfers sitting out who will help, but they dropped almost out of the top 15 with all their losses so #9 might be generous. They only have 1 top 20 recruit coming in.
  1. UCONN
  2. Stanford
  3. South Carolina
  4. Baylor
  5. UCLA
  6. Oregon
  7. Maryland
  8. Louisville
  9. NC State
  10. Oregon State
  11. Kentucky
Really. SC has a nice McDAA coming in ( have you all learned anything from Ty Harris, plus Destiny Littleton former McDAA and top 10 to a roster that had obvious starters coming off the bench. They will be tough again imo

Reaction Score

1. UCONN
  2. Stanford
  3. South Carolina
  4. Baylor
  5. UCLA
  6. Oregon
  7. Maryland
  8. Louisville
  9. NC State
  10. Oregon State
  11. Kentucky
I think Mississippi State will be somewhere in the top ten. They lose Danberry but add two McDonald's All American.

Reaction Score
Not sure this is the right time to announce such lists. I expect having some positive news that gives us confidence we will have a next season is needed. But that is just me. :rolleyes:

from what I read I don't think we'll be totally out of the clear until August at a minimum but I'm optimistic UConn will be playing ball next season..........

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really. SC has a nice McDAA coming in ( have you all learned anything from Ty Harris, plus Destiny Littleton former McDAA and top 10 to a roster that had obvious starters coming off the bench. They will be tough again imo
Yeah that's why i have them #3. Eniya Russell? she was ranked 43 per HG. I don't see her having much of an impact at all next year. Littleton was ranked 33 coming out of high school. Not sure she'll have a huge impact next year either. Although maybe she starts along side Henderson. Either way Littleton was not a highly rated kid coming out of high school. Certainly not the same caliber as Westbrook at UCONN for example...

Ty Harris was certainly mis-ranked at #28 coming out of high school, so who knows. Maybe Littleton and Russell will fall under that category.

Both Stanford and UCONN lose less, and bring in more quality (in UCONN's case, a LOT more quality) which is why I put them both above SC. Just my opinion of course.
I think Mississippi State will be somewhere in the top ten. They lose Danberry but add two McDonald's All American.
Maddi Hayes is #29 so maybe she was a McD AA, but Gaston is ranked #95. Still you are right - they only lose Danberry. I put them at #8...

Reaction Score
Yeah that's why i have them #3. Eniya Russell? she was ranked 43 per HG. I don't see her having much of an impact at all next year. Littleton was ranked 33 coming out of high school. Not sure she'll have a huge impact next year either. Although maybe she starts along side Henderson. Either way Littleton was not a highly rated kid coming out of high school. Certainly not the same caliber as Westbrook at UCONN for example...

Ty Harris was certainly mis-ranked at #28 coming out of high school, so who knows. Maybe Littleton and Russell will fall under that category.

Both Stanford and UCONN lose less, and bring in more quality (in UCONN's case, a LOT more quality) which is why I put them both above SC. Just my opinion of course. Maddi Hayes is #29 so maybe she was a McD AA, but Gaston is ranked #95. Still you are right - they only lose Danberry. I put them at #8...
The second McDAA was Sidney Cooks, who was ranked #5 in 2017. I think she shot 40% from three at Michigan State.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The second McDAA was Sidney Cooks, who was ranked #5 in 2017. I think she shot 40% from three at Michigan State.
Ah thanks. Forgot about her. I think she will thrive under Vic. They will be a player in the SEC for sure. Hopefully putting a stomping on Tennessee twice next year...

Reaction Score

Both Stanford and UCONN lose less, and bring in more quality (in UCONN's case, a LOT more quality) which is why I put them both above SC. Just my opinion of course. Maddi Hayes is #29 so maybe she was a McD AA, but Gaston is ranked #95. Still you are right - they only lose Danberry. I put them at #8...
Prediction, Gaston is going to be a real surprise. I watched two of her HS games and she appears to have recovered from her injuries. I would not be surprised if she saw a lot of playing time next year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I've said in several other posts that Dawn and South Carolina haved arrived, and is here to stay. She has built SC in to a perinatal "elite" top 5 powerhouse. She had talent up and down this year's roster, with more coming in next year.

South Carolina has become a "seriously" considered destination for the country's top recruits. UConn, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Maryland, Louisville, Texas A&M, Texas, NC State, Florida St, Kentucky, Baylor, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA, Mississippi St, and South Carolina all recruit the same elite players from across the country. Get use to it, South Carolina has crashed the party and is not going away anytime soon. :cool:

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I don't disagree with the "hardest to figure" judgment, and I actually think your ranking may be a bit generous (although I hope I'm wrong)). But it's also the case that the recruiting numbers typically used here (from Hoopgurlz) are not always in keeping with the rankings on other sites. Bluestar, for example, has 3 of the Oregon recruits in its top 10 and another at 11. In addition, that the lowest ranked recruit on on both lists (Tehina PaoPao) was one of the five finalists for the Naismith Trophy (won by PB), as well as a first-team Naismith All-American indicates, if nothing else, how difficult it is to evaluate, and handicap, incoming freshmen, with maybe a couple of exceptions each year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

1. UCONN
  2. Stanford
  3. South Carolina
  4. Baylor
  5. UCLA
  6. Oregon
  7. Maryland
  8. Mississippi State
  9. Louisville
  10. NC State
  11. Oregon State
  12. Kentucky
I have SCar at #2. Their incoming class may be sparse, but last years class was so good it really wasn't needed. Cooke is a star and so is Boston. If Amihere pans out (and she is rawer than a boiled shoe) then they have something for 3 years up front and back. I hope UConn still runs them out of the gym though.

Reaction Score
Maryland picks up a lot more than just #2 Angel Reese next year. They get back 3 red shirt injured players: freshman Zoe Young 5’10” SG, sophomore Olivia Owens 6’4” P, and junior Chanise Lewis 5’8” PG. None of them played this year due to injury. And they get sophomore Amira Collins 6’3” P transfer from Tennessee, who sat out this year.

Reaction Score

1. UCONN
  2. Stanford
  3. South Carolina
  4. Baylor
  5. UCLA
  6. Oregon
  7. Maryland
  8. Mississippi State
  9. Louisville
  10. NC State
  11. Oregon State
  12. Kentucky

doesn’t Louisville also add the 2 redshirts?

Reaction Score
I believe Jordy and others that base their ranking more on existing players than frosh coming in have it right. Frosh are typically inconsistent and big jumps can be expected from many sophs and juniors. Not sure I know enough to forecast a full ranking but looking at South Carolina and this year's great freshman class, hard not to project them #1 entering next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom